Chapter 22: If There’s Even the Slightest Chance We Can Get Along, Then…
157 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ms. Richter! It’s been a while, huh? Lovely to see you again.”

“Oh, it’s Ms. Richter! The weather today’s quite nice for an outing, wouldn’t you say?”

“Hello, Ms. Richter. Thank you again for your help the other day. My business wouldn’t have gotten off the ground without you.”

“Ms. Richter.”

“Ms. Richter!”

“Ms. Richter~”

“Ufufu~ Hello~” Circe seemed to be enjoying herself quite a bit as she walked the streets of Regalia responding to greetings left and right. With a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and a flowing white sundress, she looked pretty different from how Micah was used to seeing her. Even her gorgeous dark hair, which she normally let flow freely, was styled to fall over one shoulder.

This was “Ms. Richter”, an alias Circe used for times when she needed to conduct public business in Regalia. She had no idea where the woman had gotten the name from—and honestly she really didn’t want to know—but it proved to be quite a useful cover. After all, not only was Ms. Richter a well-known private investor (which, to Circe’s great amusement, is also called an angel investor) who supported both large and small businesses in Norith, but she was also regarded similarly to that of the nobility due to her staggering net worth and personal assets.

She also owned her own property in Regalia; a sizable estate that paled in comparison to those owned by noble families like the Brightwinds, but was still impressive considering she was technically a commoner. Of course, those were Circe’s own assets being used, so it was no surprise there, but Micah knew that the woman possessed way more. After all, she’d heard Circe once give a vague estimation of her organization’s total net worth, and nearly fainted on the spot.

Still, it wasn’t as if Circe made use of this alias all that much. As someone who typically avoids unnecessary exertion, it was no surprise that she preferred to stay in her hideout rather than go walking around. She rarely even visited the estate she owned, instead leaving it to the care and management of numerous servants and Disciple members save for specific cases that required her to appear. She even had the reputation of being a bit of a recluse for it, which made it all the more strange that she’d go out today. Well, the reason for that was…

“Hi there~ Has business been good today?”

“Ohh, Ms. Richter! It has, thanks in no small part to you! The quality of my goods have improved immensely, and customers have been happier than ever lately thanks to you. Now, what can I do for you today?”

“Oh, I’m not here for me,” Circe said with a small laugh, then reached down to playfully pat Micah on the head, to the latter’s chagrin. “I just thought I’d take the little one here shopping for some new clothes.”

Damn it, I’m not a kid, so don’t just touch me whenever you feel like… I already told you how old I am, you bitch.

Micah’s seething glare conveyed her inner thoughts, and Circe’s deceptively-cheerful smile seemed to respond in kind: That may be so, but you’re still a kid on the outside. And don’t forget you agreed to maintain our cover in public, so just smile and go with it you little shit.

With Micah pissed off but unable to mentally retort her, Circe continued merrily. “Summer’s right around the corner and she has nothing new to wear, the poor thing. I was thinking of good clothing stores in the area and your shop came to mind first. Could you offer some recommendations?”

We’ve already been to three other shops already, you liar.

“Ahaha, how flattering!” The stocky shop owner bellowed out his amusement before putting a hand to his chin in thought. “I see, shopping for your daughter, hm? I think I might have just the thing. Recently, my son drew up some designs that he thought would suit the youngins this summer, and I just finished the first line of outfits this morning. Haven’t even put ‘em out yet! Why don’t we have her try some on? I promise, you’ll get a good rate if you find something you like!”

“Oh, that sounds wonderful!” Circe pressed her palms together in a show of joy that made Micah want to puke. “Please do. Oh but, I should clarify that she isn’t actually my daughter. Haven’t you heard?”

As Circe briefly explained the truth of their circumstances, Micah went to sit down on a nearby bench, only half-listening. With how many times she’d had to run through the story herself in order to memorize it, she wasn’t particularly interested in hearing it again.

Basically, the idea was that Micah had gotten into a magic-related altercation at a young age and was put on trial in front of the Norith council. However, before a decision could be reached on what to do with her, “Ms. Richter” intervened and contributed largely to lightening her sentence. In the end, she was let off with a light punishment as well as a permanent forced citizenship in Regalia where she could be monitored more closely by both the Regalian Military and also the various Heroes that often pass through the city. As for her living arrangements, Ms. Richter kindly offered to let her stay at her estate, and thus became her guardian as well as her benefactor.

This was what the general public knew of Micah and Circe’s circumstances, but she had to tell the story slightly differently in her letters to the nuns. Since they knew the truth behind her actions as “Nor’s Angel” and her attempted murder of Mariel and Leo, she was forced to lie about how Westran officials traveled to Regalia and cooperated with the Norith council to host her trial, but from there things were mostly the same. As far as anyone in Halloway knew, Micah was living a normal life in Regalia under Ms. Richter’s care and tutelage, deeply reflecting on her past actions and regretting them while gratefully accepting the council’s generosity.

Thankfully, despite the fact that the end result was forced separation from her adopted family, that explanation assuaged the nuns’ concerns somewhat. They were of course allowed visitation, but since they were too poor to make a round trip journey to Regalia, Micah didn’t have to worry about them visiting her any time soon. She’d be lying if she said she didn’t want to see them though.

“I see…” The shop owner scratched his beard after hearing the story from Circe. “So rather than your daughter, she’s more like your ward, eh?”

“That’s correct. And since she’s been separated from the family that raised her all these years, it’s been rather difficult forming a bond with her ever since she came to live with me. Not to mention that I have absolutely no knowledge on what young people are into these days.” Circe smiled a bit awkwardly as she chatted with the man, looking genuinely embarrassed. But Micah knew it was all an act, and somehow it irritated her to see how effective it was on people.

“Ahaha, well then you’ve come to the right place!” The shopkeep let out another bellowing laugh before turning his attention to her. “It’s Micah, right? Why don’t we all go into the back to try on some outfits? I promise you’ll be brimming with charm by the time we’re done with you!”

“E-Eh? Well uh, if you say so…”

A bit anxious in the face of his eagerness, Micah followed the lead of the man and went towards the back of the shop. Surely it wouldn’t be as bad as she was imagining, right?

-----

“Ahh, how cute~!”

“Hmhm, I’d say this style suits you well!”

“...”

-----

“Whoaaa, the frills make you look just adorable!”

“Hahaha! My son’s got a good eye for clothes, don’t you think?”

“...”

-----

“Aw, look at all the little bows~! I like this one a lot!”

“I see, even the fabric is designed to accentuate her features.”

“...”

-----

“Fufu, what is it Micah~? Do blouses like these make you embarrassed?”

“Yup yup, sometimes simple really is best.”

“Khh…” Micah gripped the skirt of her blue blouse with both hands, her teeth gritted as she endured the gawking looks of both Circe and the shopkeep, as well as the glances from the guy’s son who was sent to man the storefront but kept peeking in now and again.

It felt like she was just some doll being dressed up however they pleased without regard for her own feelings. Not to mention that some of these outfits weren’t even suited for summer!

“Hmm, but if I had to say,” Circe started, putting a finger to her chin in thought. “If there’s one thing that’s bothering me about all of them, it’d be… that scarf.”

“Oh, you think so too?” the shopkeep replied. “It looks nice, but also clashes with the style of the other outfits. It’s also strange to wear something like that during the summer, don’t you think?”

“I completely agree.” Micah’s core trembled as a feeling of danger suddenly overcame her. Circe turned her way with a smile, but the malicious intent behind it was clear as day. “In that case, shall we try removing it?”

“Ugh…” She took an instinctive step back, her fingers finding the front of her scarf as if to protect it from the woman calmly making her way over. “N-No way in hell am I letting you take this! Don’t even try it!”

“Oh come now, Micah. When are you going to grow out of this childish nonsense?” Circe was more than aware of Micah’s condition regarding her scarf, but for some reason was pushing forward with her act. “No matter how much value that thing may have, you can’t go wearing it around everywhere. One day you’ll have to learn to live without it, and isn’t now a good time to start?”

“Huh…? W-Wait- I said wait a minute!”

“Fufu~ Please pardon my intrusion~”

“S-Stay back! What do you think you’re doing?! I-I really won’t forgive you for this! Don’t you-WAAAAHHH!!!”

Without any care at all for her well being, Circe grabbed one scarf end and yanked with superhuman strength, twirling Micah around like a spinning top as the scarf unfurled from around her neck. Once it came free, Micah continued spinning uncontrollably until she collapsed onto her rear, her eyes swirling from dizziness.

“Much better!” Meanwhile, Circe was all smiles as she clutched the now-folded scarf in her hands. Micah groaned a bit as she got back to her feet, only vaguely registering the approving gazes of her onlookers.

“Oho, she really does look better like this! You’ve got a great eye for fashion, eh Ms. Richter?”

“No need to flatter me~ More importantly, don’t you feel much better without that stifling thing on, Micah?”

“W-What are you saying? Of course I don’t-” Micah blinked, eyes widening a bit as she realized that she wasn’t experiencing any negative effects from being separated from her scarf. There was a sense of discomfort from not having it around her neck like she was used to, but other than that she was completely fine. Her eyes traveled over to Circe, who merely showed her an even bigger smile as if she’d known from the beginning that this was how it would be.

“Heehee, it’s nice right? Then we’ll take it. In fact, we’ll take them all!”

“Glad to hear it! I’ll ring you up right now!”

“Ah, no need to change back, Micah. In fact, I’m feeling quite famished right about now, so why don’t you find us a place to eat while I finish up our business here?” As she spoke, Circe started wrapping the scarf around her own neck for some reason. “There should be a restaurant just a few doors down, so take this with you.” With her hands free, she produced a small sack of coins to Micah before ushering her out towards the door.

“Wha- hey- a-are you serious?!”

“Of course I’m serious~ This is a very important job I’m giving you, so do your best okay?”

A-A job? Now of all times? What the heck is she thinking…?

Micah wanted to protest some more, but suddenly remembered her own words from several days ago:

“I’ve decided to start treating you as an ally. Whatever you need, whenever, just ask and I’ll do it. Regardless of your reasons for taking me in, I’m going to trust that you have my best interests at heart.”

That’s right, I did say that before… In that case, should I believe that Circe’s not just doing this for fun? Is she actually trying to help me somehow? If that’s true, then…

“A… Alright, I’m going, I’m going…” she lamented, allowing herself to be forced outside. Slightly annoyed, Micah took a deep breath, gave one last look to the scarf hugging Circe’s shoulders, then begrudgingly turned to leave.

Damn it, what was going on with her? That scarf was supposed to be special. It was the one and only thing that came with her to Magi from earth—a precious early birthday gift from Yuu. And even though it was forcibly taken away by that evil woman, she didn’t feel as panicked as she usually did. With each step she took away from that clothing shop, her discomfort at being so exposed increased, but it was nowhere near the level of desperation she’d experienced in the past.

Actually, this wasn’t the first time she’d noticed this. If memory served, her reaction to losing the scarf was the same as usual the day she met Ellie. But during the [Baphomet] fight, even though she did start to hyperventilate after being separated from it, she was able to distract herself enough from passing out; and even remained calm once she laid eyes on it despite the fact that she couldn’t physically reach it. At that time, she was more worried for Ellie’s safety over whether or not she could get it back.

In other words, ever since she and Ellie became friends… No, from the moment Ellie opened up her heart, something had changed regarding her feelings for her brother, and as a result, the way she reacted to the scarf had also changed. Did that mean Yuu was no longer as important to her as he used to be? Now that she had more people she cared about, was Yuu subconsciously becoming nothing more than a slowly fading memory to her?

That… She didn’t want that. It’s true that she had almost given up on Yuu not that long ago, but seeing the effects of her changing feelings so vividly genuinely frightened her. A reality where she indulged in the warmth and kindness of the people who loved her here in Magi without Yuu seemed so nice before, but now the thought made her angry with herself for having even considered it.

…I wonder if it’s that dream’s fault. Even though it was only for a short while, getting to experience life on earth again with Yuu and all of my other friends… was the best thing that ever happened to me since I was born in this world. I care about the nuns a lot, and I meant it when I said Ellie and I were friends, but I know in my heart that earth is where I belong. It’s where my most precious memories originated from. There was a lot of heartache and suffering there too of course, but I wouldn’t be the person I am now without all of it.

That’s why… if possible I need to-

While deep in her thoughts, Micah failed to notice a man and woman walking arm in arm from the opposite direction, and ended up bumping into them.

              !!”

“Ah, I-I’m so sorry! I wasn’t paying attention.” The man was startled for a moment and exclaimed something Micah couldn’t understand, but her first instinct was to bow her head politely as she apologized.

The woman looked a bit embarrassed and started to speak, but Micah was surprised to find that she couldn’t understand anything she was saying either. It was clearly some kind of language, but Micah didn’t recognize it at all. After she finished, the man started speaking as well, and it sounded like he ended off with a question towards her. Not having understood any of it, Micah just stood there a bit dumbfounded.

“U-Um… I’m sorry, I don’t understand…”

       ???” Since she didn’t speak their language, Micah only had their facial expressions to go off of in this conversation. And judging by the way both of their expressions instantly changed into the same dumbfounded look she herself had, there was a high possibility that they didn’t understand her either.

…Well that was a problem. The two of them didn’t particularly look like foreigners, but Micah had never encountered anyone in Magi that spoke a different language before. What was she supposed to do here?

           ” The couple turned to start talking to each other, but Micah couldn’t tell based on their expressions what they were thinking. All she knew was that there wasn’t much point in continuing to talk if they couldn’t speak each others’ languages, so she quickly bowed her head and told them, “Excuse me”, before stepping away.

She tried to put the weird encounter out of her head while searching for the restaurant Circe had mentioned, but for some reason all of the signs had weird names that made no sense. Was it a stylistic thing specific to this neighborhood? In any case, by following her nose to the pleasant aroma of food, she ended up finding the place pretty easily.

A cute little bell went off as she pushed the door open, catching the attention of the hostess waiting behind a small desk. Micah nodded her head in greeting and made her way over, then held up two fingers while saying, “Table for two, please. Someone else will be joining me soon.”

       ?        ~!” The woman seemed a little confused, but replied cheerfully after a moment and gestured for Micah to follow her.

…Eh? Just now, her words…

Micah couldn’t understand her. Whatever it was she’d said sounded exactly like the way the couple from before were talking. Was it the exact same language? No, that was too crazy of a coincidence. Unlike the man and woman who were more ambiguous, this woman’s job was to greet guests and socialize, so it was simply impossible to imagine that she couldn’t speak the same language everyone else did. What was going on…?

Micah puzzled over the strange situation as she tailed the woman to a booth not far from the entrance. It seemed a bit big for just two people, but there didn’t seem to be many other available tables during the busy midday lunch rush, so Micah didn’t mind. What was more important to her was confirming the suspicion that had formed in her mind, so she tried asking the hostess for a menu.

       ??” She didn’t seem to understand though, so Micah glanced around until she spotted a recently used table being cleaned up by an employee. A pair of menus were still on the table, so she gestured to them and looked at the hostess expectantly. Thankfully, she understood after that and simply passed one of the menus to her. Somehow, the gesture felt a bit rude, but Micah ignored it in favor of scanning the menu's contents as the woman walked off to greet more guests.

…As expected, it was all gibberish. Seeing it, Micah finally had an idea of what was going on.

[Ability - God’s Blessing Lv. 65]
[An Ability imbued into the scarf by [God]. The scarf grows through experience and the more it is used. After a set amount of experience is gained, this ability will level up.]
[Leveling up will increase its potential and capabilities.]
[Every ten levels, the wearer can select a new Ability.]

{Default Abilities}
[The wearer’s physical capabilities, reflexes, and senses are enhanced. These traits will increase further as [God’s Blessing] levels up.]
[The scarf acts as a translator, allowing the wearer to understand foreign languages, both verbally and visually.]

{Added Abilities}
[The scarf can be manipulated according to the wearer’s will. Its potential length, as well as its offensive and defensive power, will increase as [God’s Blessing] levels up.]
[The wearer can draw from a mana pool contained within the scarf. The size of the pool will increase as [God’s Blessing] levels up.]
[The wearer can detect mana using sight by concentrating on an area or individual not obscured by a solid object. The more potent the mana, the easier it is to see.]
[The wearer is immune to the fear-inducing effects of miasma.]
[The scarf can regenerate lost parts of itself automatically in exchange for the wearer’s mana.]
[Free Slot]
[Unlocked at Lv. 100]

She had to remember the contents of the status on her own since she didn’t have the scarf with her, but actually a lot of things had changed since the last time she’d had a proper look. The main takeaway here though was under the Default Abilities. Micah had been making use of the first one a lot, so she understood it well, but the second one had always been a bit confusing for her. According to the Ability’s description, its purpose was to allow her to understand foreign languages, but what exactly did that mean? And why something so specific?

Well, Micah hadn’t actually given it much thought, but the answer was obvious once you understood that everyone in this world spoke Japanese, and the written language was the same too. At first Micah had simply accepted it without questions, but admittedly it really was odd. After all, though she’d kinda gotten used to it over the years, things like honorifics were completely left out. Not to mention that none of the people in Magi looked even remotely Japanese.

In any case, it all made sense once you considered the existence of that translation Ability. If Micah had to guess, it acted as a sort of filter for her—automatically translating everyone’s words into Japanese while translating her own words into whatever language was being used here in Magi. Perhaps it even adjusted her words based on the primary language of whoever she was speaking to? Either way, it was the same for the written language, and that explained why Micah could understand everything from the moment she was born.

The only question that remained really was why it stopped working now of all times. Like Micah had once noticed during the [Baphomet] fight, she still gained levels even while she wasn’t wearing her scarf. She did lose all of her physical enhancements as well as access to the mana pool it contained, but the fact that she could still gain levels proved that she was connected to the scarf in some way, even while it was removed. So what made this time different?

Well… if this phenomenon is related to the idea of the scarf assigning a “wearer”, then… could it be?

Something like, “You’re still the ‘wearer’ even after you take it off, but if someone else puts it on, they become the new ‘wearer’?” That would explain why she could still gain levels and understand Magi’s language without the need to be actively wearing the scarf. As for why she couldn’t use all of the other Abilities, maybe she still technically could, but since it required her to run her body’s mana through the scarf, it was basically impossible anyway? Micah could barely move her mana beyond her own body, let alone stretch it far enough to activate [God’s Blessing] remotely.

If all of that was true, that meant that Circe, who’d put the scarf on randomly while ushering her out of the clothing shop, had become the new wearer, right? It made the most sense, as Micah had never let anyone wear the scarf before today. So, was that it? Was the point of this weird job she’d been sent on to make her realize these things about [God’s Blessing] and how it worked? Micah had already told Circe everything she knew about the Ability, so it wasn’t so unbelievable, but it was strange to think her boss could know more about how it worked than she did.

“Maybe she just had a hunch or something? She can be surprisingly perceptive when she wants to be.”

Micah spent the next several minutes stewing over the matter until Circe eventually showed up. The scarf was still wrapped around her shoulders fashionably as the woman conversed a bit with the hostess before making her way over to sit down across from her.

“Something wrong, Micah? You seem a bit… actually, you seem quite calm all things considered,” she said, frowning a bit. To Micah it sounded like she was speaking perfect Japanese, like always. “How disappointing~ I was expecting to see more panic and anxiety than this, but it looks like you figured it out faster than I was expecting.”

“So you really did do this on purpose,” Micah responded dryly. “Something is seriously wrong with your head, you know that? Why can’t you just tell me these things like a normal person? And give it back already!”

“Whine, whine, whine…” Circe crossed her arms as Micah reached over the table to snatch the scarf from around her neck. “Don’t you realize how valuable an experience this was for you? Thanks to me, you’ve gained a greater understanding of how this Ability of yours works.” Smirking, she leaned forward to rest her chin on her hands. “And also, you came to understand that you aren’t so reliant on that thing as you used to be, right?”

“W-What are you talking about…” Micah muttered, still clutching the scarf in her hands.

“I’m saying, you’ve started to realize that your brother doesn’t matter to you as much as he used to now that you’ve got more people to care about. Am I wrong?”

“Huh?! L-Like hell that’s true!” Micah barked, earning the attention of several nearby patrons as she shot to her feet and slammed her palms on the table. Ignoring their stares, she continued. “Don’t act like you know everything about me!! Just because I said I trust you now doesn’t mean you get to say whatever the hell you want!”

“Sit down, Micah,” the woman ordered coldly. Sharp eyes bore into her, challenging the rising flame of rage within her. “You’re going to get us thrown out.”

A long silence passed between them as the other customers looked on, until Micah finally relented and sank back down to wrap the scarf around herself bitterly. “Khh… fine…”

“Um… is everything all right?” A waiter soon appeared, nervously holding a pen and paper as he looked on concernedly.

Circe immediately flashed him a bright smile, as if the suffocating tension just moments ago hadn’t been there at all. “Just fine! I apologize for causing a disturbance, my daughter’s just a bit cranky from hunger. Speaking of that, I believe we’re ready to order. I’ll have the—

Who’s your daughter, damn it…

Despite her feelings towards the situation and towards Circe herself, Micah waited first for the woman to finish, then quietly spoke her own order while trying to ignore the bothersome thoughts her boss had planted in her mind.

That’s not… I’m not… forgetting about him.

I’m not.

-----

“Fuaaa~ That sure was delicious, wasn’t it, Micah?” Circe said, stifling a yawn with one hand as the two emerged from the restaurant. It was approaching evening now, and the sky was painted orange above them. “I don’t think it holds a candle to what my servants can prepare, but it’s nice to eat out once in a while too, don’t you think?”

“Mhm…”

“What is it? Don’t tell me you’re still sulking over what I said earlier. Come on, I apologized for that already, didn’t I?”

“Actually, you didn’t.”

“Is that so? Well, that’s fine. In any case, it’s about time we headed home, yes? Hold the bags properly so you don’t drop them.”

I’m actually more pissed that you’re making me carry all the bags despite getting carried away buying outfits I didn’t even agree to wear…

But Micah didn’t voice those thoughts, and instead just sighed. “Haa… Whatever.”

Feeling that her energy was being sapped just from having to deal with Circe, Micah trudged along behind her as the pair started down the street. That is, until a very odd sound reached her ears. A voice soon followed.

“Hey, look at that!” A commotion started up around her, so Micah turned to see what the fuss was about, and found her eyes nearly popping out of her head at what she could only describe as an impossible sight.

A car. It was a car, driving down the middle of the street. It didn’t look very advanced—more like those old-timey cars one would have seen back when they were first manufactured—but it was still an image Micah would never have associated with the fantasy world that was Magi.

As the car steadily passed by her, she caught a glimpse inside the windows at the pair of men inside. They weren’t dressed like nobles… more like scientists, with white coats and glasses. One of them had been holding a clipboard too, taking notes on something. Micah’s gaze followed the vehicle all the way down the road until it made a turn and disappeared out of sight.

“W-What the heck? What was that thing?” She ended up voicing her confusion out loud, to which Circe glanced her way curiously.

“Hm? Do they not have such things in your world? They’re calling it a ‘motor carriage’, or simply a car for short. It’s a new type of vehicle that runs on a motor powered by mana crystals.” She hummed and put a finger to her chin. “Ahh, that’s right. They did say they were going to start testing them on public streets soon, didn’t they.”

“Testing? And who are you talking about?”

“The Thorncroft family. Have you heard of them?”

“Uhh, I think so… They’re a noble family that deals in mana crystal production, right?”

“Close, but not exactly.” Circe brought a finger up to explain. “The Thorncroft family are indeed obscenely wealthy, but that’s only due to backing from various other noble families across the Circle. Technically, they’re still commoners. It’s also true that they specialize in mana crystals, but there’s more to it than that. Mana crystal production practices are kept secret from the public in order to avoid mass exploitation and depletion of resources, and only certain groups are made aware of things like where to mine the raw minerals, as well as how to go about processing them into a usable crystal.”

“Really now…” Micah said, genuinely amazed at the idea that more modern technology had made its way into Magi’s culture. “In my world, cars are a common thing for people to own. One of my friends used to own one herself, and she would sometimes take us on trips to places like Kyoto or Okinawa… It was fun.”

“Hohhh, is that so? What about vehicles that fly? I heard rumors that the Thorncroft family was also developing a type of ship that drifted not through the sea, but the sky itself. I believe it was called… an airship?”

“Airship? We did have blimps and stuff, but they weren’t as popular as things like airplanes or helicopters or jets. We had a lot of vehicles, really.” Micah couldn’t suppress the small measure of pride she felt talking up her home world. Earth may not have had things like magic, but the technological and societal advancements made in her homeworld meant that, at least in her eyes, it was more amazing. After all, no matter how cool mages were, guns and missiles would defeat them nine out of ten times.

“By the way, about that process you mentioned before. Do you know how it works?”

“Fufu, of course I do… is what I’d like to say, but I actually don’t. I doubt it would be all that difficult to find out how to create mana crystals if I really wanted to, but there’s no point in having my own people start a production line when the Thorncrofts are already doing it just fine. The minerals are rumored to grow naturally in certain places, but it’s not like those resources will last long if everyone’s making use of them at once, right?”

“Ohh, I get it,” Micah said, putting a hand to her own chin in thought. “Because secondary and black market distribution would deplete the resources faster, it’s better to just let the Thorncrofts have a monopoly. They’re endorsed by the government, plus they keep their production methods a secret to discourage anyone from trusting knock-off sellers.”

“Correct. They’re quite cheap too, and just about every business that deals in mana crystals makes its purchases from them. The profits are then distributed to the various investors, and the rest is paid to the workers.” Circe sighed, shaking her head exasperatedly. “Still, there are some idiots out there who don’t understand these things and try to sell bootleg products they made without knowing anything about the craft. It’s these sorts of people that I try to deal with before they become a genuine problem.”

“Wow.” Micah blinked, genuinely surprised at what she was hearing. She wasn’t quite sure what the word “cheap” meant to a woman like Circe, but it was still interesting (and a bit ironic) to learn that she also cracked down on crimes like these. “So you can do some good things too, huh?”

Circe crossed her arms, cheeks puffing with offense. “Hmph, how rude. You seem to be under a strange misunderstanding that I only ever want people to suffer and die. I explained it to you at the start, remember? My organization primarily exists to improve quality of life; for myself mostly, but also for others who have been forsaken by the world’s governments in their time of need. I suppose you could look at it like a ‘shadow government’ of sorts. I go beyond the established systems and law in order to maintain stability and help those who would otherwise go ignored.”

“What about Talahanan?” Micah snapped. “What did you do for him in his time of need? What about the villagers who were being slaughtered by those monsters all over the place? They were certainly abandoned by the Hero Association when they needed them the most. What did you do for them?”

“Well…”

“Spare me your ‘paragon of justice’ bullshit. You’re nothing more than a manipulative witch who only cares about herself. Anytime you help someone, it’s either by complete coincidence, it has some benefit to you, or because you thought it would be amusing. You don’t actually give a damn about any of these people who believe in you. Am I wrong?”

In the face of her irritation, Circe showed a surprisingly sympathetic expression that caught Micah off guard. “I’m not claiming to be some sort of saint, Micah. Nor am I trying to justify the uglier aspects to my organization. I’m simply saying that I provide results. Pretending like the world can be made into a better place with positivity and idealism alone is the mindset of a naive fool. Sometimes action—harsh action must be taken in order to avoid even worse disasters.”

“What? What are you talking about?” Micah asked, incredulous. “How can there possibly be a worse disaster than what happened to those poor people?”

For some reason, Circe went quiet when she said that. Micah raised a brow at her, but all of a sudden she abruptly changed the subject.

“My point is, I don’t harbor any ill will towards anyone. The jobs I accept are simply business, and all of it serves a purpose. What happened to Talahanan was tragic, even when you factor out the monster attack, but jobs like that are what keep my organization afloat. They’re what allow me to help others, many others, who are in similar or even worse situations.”

“Huh?? So what, you’re saying you can just play God however you please? Who the hell gave you the right to decide who gets to live and die?!”

By now, the two had walked a good distance away from the earlier crowd and towards a more deserted part of town where they could access the sewers, so no one was around to hear Micah’s shout. Still, her words actually got a reaction out of Circe, who shut her eyes in what seemed to be annoyance. “No one did. But the cruel reality is that everyone has that right, and those who realized it sooner than others have gone on to commit all manner of atrocities on those who chose to remain ignorant. It may be easy for you to condemn me for the things I’ve done, but it’s thanks to my efforts that you’ve avoided catching the attention of dangerous and troublesome people. Not to mention bailed out of prison and given a safe place to increase your power. Preach to me all you like, but you sure weren’t complaining about my services when it was convenient for you.”

“Ghh… Th-That was…!”

“Look, you don’t have to agree with my methods, but take a look in the mirror before you start judging me. The only reason I’m even in the position I am is because I started looking after myself first and others second. I could care less if you’re disgusted by me or how I think, but the fact of the matter is that I’ve provided results and helped a great many people. Understand? End of discussion.”

“Y-You… You’re the worst…” Micah muttered bitterly as Circe shut down all room for argument. It was true that she used to think it was alright to do anything, even horrible things, for the sake of those you truly cared about. And as long as her past was filled with times where she exercised that ideal, uncaring of how others suffered as a result, she wasn’t in a position to criticize Circe.

And so, she dropped the matter. But the idea that she and Circe really were alike enough in that regard made her feel terrible. It was like she was arguing with her old self just now, and lost big time. It made her feel pitiful and hopeless, and that brought her shoulders sagging down despondently.

Whether Circe noticed it or not, she ended up resuming their earlier conversation as they made their way towards the hideout. “In any case, we’ve gotten off track. My original point was, what someone does with their mana crystals is their business, but the crystals themselves have to be purchased above board. It only hurts the economy and society as a whole to let bootleg production persist, so I deal with them whenever they come to my attention. Does that make sense?”

“I… Y-Yeah. It… It makes sense.”

“...” Circe, who was walking a bit ahead, glanced back for a moment. Micah’s expression was a complex mix of emotions, and the sight of it caused the woman to scratch at her head. Her face was set in a slight frown as she averted her gaze, and after a couple of silent moments, she stopped, reaching back one hand while still looking away. “Give me the bags.”

“Huh?”

“What? You heard me clearly, didn’t you? I told you to give me all the bags.”

“N-No I heard you, but… why?” Micah craned her neck to peer past her. “We’re like right around the corner from the hideout.”

“Hrrg...” For some reason, Circe’s expression became even more aggravated than before. “Just… Just give them here! I don’t feel like leaving it to you anymore. Consider it an order.”

“...?” Still confused, Micah obeyed and handed over the bags full of clothes. The sight of her holding them seemed quite in tune with her fashionable appearance, but didn’t really suit Circe’s overall image.

No, that was putting it mildly. Micah had never once seen Circe carry her own baggage before. It was clearly out of character for her to purposefully choose to exert herself when there was no reason why it was necessary. But even so, the woman adjusted her grip to support the increase in weight better and began walking off without another word, still seeming somewhat displeased with something.

“...Well? Hurry up or I’ll leave you,” she said, mumbling it almost to herself.

“Ah- um, r-right.” Micah began following along, feeling a bit strange at the abrupt turn of events. Circe had always been a confident, if lazy woman who lived life at her own pace without worrying over others. But right now her boss looked more awkward than she’d ever seen her before, and yet persisted all the way around the corner and into the hideout itself where she dropped the bags off on one of the lounge couches.

“Welcome back, Lady Circe, Micah,” Zaheer greeted once they arrived. Circe had put him in charge of the place while they were gone, and it seemed he’d done some cleaning and organization in the meantime. “I’ll prepare some tea right away.”

“No need. I’m going to bed,” Circe replied curtly, then headed straight for her room.

“Are you certain? Your bath is-”

The door slammed shut before he could finish.

Zaheer’s expression now mirrored her own, and the two shared a mutual glance of confusion over Circe’s behavior. Eventually, the man asked what had happened, and Micah proceeded to briefly explain the details of their argument.

“I see…” The dark skinned man mused, putting a hand to his chin. “It’s been quite a long time since I last witnessed Lady Circe behave so childishly, so I was quite surprised.”

“She’s always childish”, Micah wanted to retort, but held her tongue as Zaheer continued to explain.

“First of all, I should mention that the points you brought up are the sorts of things Circe has heard an innumerable amount of times in the past. Many people have come to her with such concerns over her methods and beliefs, so I imagine hearing it again from you played a part in why her mood soured.”

“Well… I can understand that much at least,” Micah said through pursed lips.

“But more than that,” the man continued. “Lady Circe has always been rather clumsy when it comes to matters of the heart. As you’ve no doubt noticed through your past interactions, she tends to hide her emotions quite a bit, and struggles in situations where she wants to be honest with her feelings.”

“What? Really?” Micah thought back, but no matter how much she thought about it, she couldn’t picture what emotions Circe could possibly be hiding. For the most part, she seemed to always be completely open and honest about how she felt. “I can’t say I ever got that impression myself.”

Zaheer nodded understandingly. “That’s because you believe in the mask she keeps on at all times. No, perhaps ‘mask’ isn’t the correct way to put it… Her emotions are genuine, but she only displays the emotions that allow her to interact with others while keeping them at a distance.”

“A distance?”

“Yes. Her beautiful smiles, the grace with which she moves, everything about herself is carefully constructed in order to give off the impression that she is one to be admired and respected, but not approached. In actuality, Lady Circe is a rather lonely person. However, because of her past experiences she has grown to distrust others to the point that she secludes herself, both physically and mentally, from the rest of the world.” His expression softened considerably. “Her selfishness is not a trait she was born with, but rather a decision she made on her own after losing all faith in the world and its ability to grant her happiness.”

“Why… Why are you telling me all this?”

“Because I want you to understand,” Zaheer answered, gazing at her intensely with his undead eyes. “You are an exception. I believe Lady Circe came to realize it too when she upset you, and though she tried to make up for it in her own way, the reason why she acted strangely towards you is because she felt uncomfortable with the idea that someone else had become precious to her without her notice.”

“Precious to her? W-What are you even talking about?” Micah said, incredulous. “Are you sure we’re talking about the same person here? There’s no way I’m precious to her! Do you know how many times she’s put me in danger on a whim?!”

“Micah…” Zaheer started, his brows furrowed in sympathy. He looked hesitant to say any more, but ultimately opened his mouth. “Lady Circe has been protecting you. For a long time.”

“What…? What are you-” Micah started to retort, but stopped when she suddenly recalled a certain memory.

“Oh no, I didn’t really do much! All I did was treat your injuries and give you a place to sleep until you woke up. I wasn’t the one who saved you or anything!”

“Wait, you weren’t? So the monsters…”

“They were already dead when I got there. You don’t know anything about that?”

“No…”

During the discussion she had with Ellie on the day they met, the girl revealed that the monsters that had been about to kill her had already been killed by the time she came across the scene. It had been bothering her ever since that she couldn’t identify the reason all the monsters had died, but there was too much going on at the time for her to dwell on it. But now…

“You… You’re saying Circe was behind that?”

“Yes,” Zaheer confirmed without hesitation. “However, I cannot tell you how; only that it was by her will that you were saved that day. After sending you on your way, she worried over whether you would survive unsupervised and thus took precautions to ensure your safety.”

“She… She did?” Micah’s hand met her forehead as she struggled to accept what was being told to her. It was perhaps one of the hardest pills she’d ever had to swallow. “I-I don’t understand. If she cares about me, why didn’t she ever just tell me up front? And for that matter, why does she always treat me like I’m her slave or her pet or something?”

“As I said, Lady Circe is rather clumsy when it comes to matters of the heart. Even if she only just realized it herself, she may have had some idea long before now that you were precious to her. However, I know from experience that she has trouble expressing herself to those she cares about. Rather than face them honestly, she prefers to support and care for them indirectly; from a distance. That may have been her approach with you as well.”

“That’s for you. I heard some little kid bawling her eyes out and figured she’d need something to drink when she was done. Be careful, it’s hot.”

“Fufu~ See? I may be your boss, but don’t forget that I’m also your big sister.”

“Go on. I’ll handle the rest here.”

“You want to go back, right? You want to give up on this grand quest for this important person of yours and go back to the one place you can call home. Sure they’ll probably be shocked, and it may take them a while to get over it all once you start being truthful, but we both know they’d accept you back in a heartbeat if you returned to them. Am I wrong?”

“It may just be for a few more years, but the Disciples of Circe is like your family. You’re allowed to make whatever requests of me you like.”

“You’re very welcome, Micah.”

“Because she was afraid of getting too close to you, she kept you at a distance with jests and inconsiderate remarks, all while silently watching over you in her own way. She likely expected you to despise her from start to finish; owing in large part to the nature of her organization as well as her own beliefs. And yet, as time went on, you also began to let your walls down around her.”

“O-Oh, and… one other thing. Back then, at the prison… you really did save me, so, um, y-you know… thanks, and all that.”

“...Nothing, just-... you know… Th-Thanks, I guess. What you said, it-, it made me feel… a little bit better.”

“Regardless of your reasons for taking me in, I’m going to trust that you have my best interests at heart. I don’t have any proof of that, but… it’s just how I feel. And I promised someone that I’d start trusting my own feelings more.”

“No wait, th-that wasn’t… I was just…”

“I understand that it wasn’t what you intended. But regardless, the kindness you showed her those times are what helped you to slip past her walls and into her heart. Haven't you noticed that she’s begun to let her mask down around you?”

“H-Huh? Have I…” Thoroughly stunned, Micah’s mind traveled, searching for proof of what Zaheer was hinting at. And to her surprise, many instances came to mind. So many, in fact, that it actually made her somewhat suspicious. “B-But wait. I see what you’re saying, but isn’t this still strange? The first time she was openly kind to me was when we took a bath together, but she didn’t even know anything about me, the real me, back then. I know she doesn’t have any kind of soft spot for people who are suffering, so why did she get attached to me so quickly? It doesn’t make sense.”

“...” Zaheer’s expression became a bit sullen when Micah brought up that point, making her feel as if she’d broached an uncomfortable topic. As if to confirm her suspicions, the man closed his eyes and said, “I can’t speak on that subject. You’ll have to hear it from her directly.”

“Directly? But I…”

“It’s true that you have no obligation to respond to her feelings. She has been kind to you occasionally, but for the most part Lady Circe has been obnoxious, rude, selfish, and even malicious at times. Her worldview differs greatly from your own, and there are few things the two of you even share in common with one another. However…” He showed her a sincere expression, one that threatened to tug at her heartstrings. “If there is even the slightest chance that the two of you may get along with one another… Well, I would like you to think about it. Lady Circe cares about you, that much is true. All that is left is for you to decide how you feel.”

“How I feel…” Micah trailed off, falling into deep thought as all of what she and Zaheer had discussed swirled around in her mind. After some time, she eventually sighed and spoke quietly. “I… I’ll need some time. I need to think about things for a bit before I can come up with a real answer, but… I promise I’ll make my decision soon. I said I would trust my own feelings from now on, so as soon as I figure out how I feel about all this, I’ll act on it.”

“...I’m glad. In that case, you may have this.” Zaheer held his hand out, and when Micah raised her own, he dropped something onto her palm. Micah picked it up with her other hand and examined the small key she’d been given.

“This… Is this for Circe’s room?”

“I imagine she will be doing her own share of thinking tonight, so don’t worry about waking her up. Just do whatever you think is best.”

“Alright… I will. Thanks, Zahy.” Micah smiled at him sincerely, and he returned the gesture before heading out the door, presumably to stand guard for the night as he usually did. Seeing as she was now alone, and presented with one hell of a homework assignment, Micah wasted no time in returning to her own room to think.

-----

How… do I feel about Circe?

Hours later, Micah sat on her bed in her pajamas, hugging a pillow to her chest while thinking heavily in order to identify her own feelings.

“Dammit, I just don’t know.”

On the one hand, I really can’t forgive someone like her. Setting aside her general attitude, she does horrible things to people on a whim, and she’s the root cause of an unimaginable level of suffering. She selfishly looks after herself before others, and she exploits all sorts of people for her own personal gain.

But… it’s also true that she’s saved lots of people too. There’s so much I don’t know about her, but for some reason I don’t feel like she’s a completely evil person. I don’t think she was lying when she told me she doesn’t enjoy making others suffer, either. I know that doesn’t make it okay, but even I was saved by her once.

I… I definitely don’t feel the same way about her as she does for me. Not to that degree, at least. But, I think… I do want to get to know her more. If only to find out just how similar we really are. And also… what about me caused her to start caring about me so quickly.

Micah let the pillow fall onto her lap, balling her fists over it afterwards. Her face set in resolution.

Is that it then? Is that how I feel?

…Alright. I’ve decided.

-----

“C-Coming in…”

The key slid into the lock with relative ease. Micah quietly pulled the door open and whispered a greeting, careful not to disturb Circe in case she really was asleep. But, as it turned out, her worries were for nothing.

Circe was there, sitting on her bed hugging her knees in a black sleeveless nightgown. Even now, with her long hair brushed down and devoid of any of her usual fancy clothes, she still looked elegant and beautiful, almost like a doll. At first her expression was hard to read, but as the shining purple gems that were her eyes found Micah’s own form huddled in the doorway hugging her pillow, they widened a bit in surprise before darting to the side.

“H-Huh? W-What do you want… Don’t tell me you had a bad dream or something.”

“N-No, um… Zaheer let me in,” Micah explained, feeling somewhat nervous for some reason. “He told me some stuff, and suggested I should talk to you. Can I come in?”

“Zahy… I bet he said something unnecessary again…” She seemed to seethe a bit at the idea, but eventually let out a sigh and moved to sit on the edge of her bed. “Well, just come in for now. I have something to say too.”

Still feeling a bit awkward, Micah hugged her pillow tighter to her chest and stepped inside. Circe directed her to the chair for her vanity, which was partially pulled out. At Circe’s direction, she also flipped a switch that turned on a set of bulbs dotting the top of the mirror, illuminating the room a bit.

“So… what did you want to say?” Circe asked.

Micah hesitated. In truth, she didn’t really know what she wanted to say—or rather, how to go about saying it. There was no grand speech she had prepared in advance; all she’d come here with were her feelings and an innumerable number of questions.

But… If there was something to start with, it was probably…

“I’m sorry.”

“Huh?” Circe looked genuinely surprised to hear that. It was perhaps the first time Micah had ever seen that sort of expression on the woman’s face, and only helped bolster her confidence.

“I started saying all that stuff earlier like I knew everything, when I was really just using you as a scapegoat for my own guilt. In the end, I didn’t do anything to help Talahanan either. I had no right to treat you like a villain when I’m no different myself. So, I’m sorry.”

“What are you talking about? That’s how you’re supposed to think,” Circe said, shaking her head. “You’re not in the wrong for thinking that what I do is horrible, because it is. I’m also a horrible person who looks out for herself above all else, and there’s nothing wrong with hating me for it. Thinking like that just means you’re a normal person. You don’t have anything to apologize for, Micah.”

“Maybe, but still… I understand that you’re not just an evil person. You have your own circumstances that led you to think the way you do, and since I don’t know anything about any of that, I’ll stop judging you like I do. It doesn’t mean I agree with the things you’re doing, but…”

“...”

A silence filled the room, and Micah could only assume based on her expression that Circe was also struggling to think of what to say next. As minutes passed, the tension built up to the point where she couldn’t take it anymore, and she opened her mouth to speak.

“Anyway, I-”
“Hey. Can I-”

They paused, eyes widened for a moment before Micah hastily continued.

“Sorry, you go. You had something to say too, right?”

“...I did, but this isn’t related to that. I was just going to ask if I could brush your hair. You haven’t done it tonight, have you?”

“Huh? W-Well, no. Not yet.”

Circe took that as a cue and stood up, heading for the vanity to retrieve the hairbrush sitting on the desk. “Then, what do you say? Consider it an or-... no, a request from me.”

Micah watched as she picked up the brush, but then made no further moves after that and simply looked at her expectantly. It felt so different from the woman’s usual attitude of simply doing whatever she wanted that Micah honestly didn’t know how to respond. Eventually, she just nodded silently and buried her face into the pillow a bit.

Circe didn’t say anything either, and simply walked around her to stand behind the chair, then gently took some of Micah’s hair into her hands and began moving the brush through it in slow, careful motions. Micah snuck a peak at the mirror to see a tender smile on her face as she worked, and found herself unable to speak up and break the silence. And so, the quiet moment persisted.

The sensation of the hairbrush gliding through her hair was strangely pleasant, and her heart tingled with warmth at the sight of Circe smiling so peacefully. She couldn't help but be reminded of her former life on Earth, where she had been taken care of by her mother just like this when she was little.

It had been quite a while since someone had last brushed her hair. Bernadetta had perhaps been the last one, but she was clumsy at it and constantly apologized for things like tugging too strongly or getting the brush tangled.

Circe was different. She was completely at ease as she let the brush glide through her hair in seemingly practiced motions. She raised her hand, letting the strands slide between her fingers, then carefully brought the brush down along the length of her neck without ever lifting Micah’s head from the pillow.

It was so soothing, in fact, that Micah found herself blinking awake after having dozed momentarily. Circe didn't seem to notice though, and continued brushing her hair in a rhythmical manner that made her head feel slightly numb. The sensation of the woman’s soft fingertips running through her hair threatened to make her fall asleep in earnest, so Micah forced herself to say something.

“...You’re really weird.”

“Hm? Am I?” Circe responded.

“Yeah,” she muttered, her voice muffled a bit by the pillow. “I just… don’t understand how someone who can be this kind and gentle… can do such horrible things without a second thought. No matter how much I think about it, I can’t tell how much of you is real and how much is just an act. I wish-” She paused, her eyes narrowing as she squeezed the pillow tighter to her chest. “I wish I could understand you better. Then maybe I’d know whether I should hate you or not.”

Another silence passed between them, leaving Micah with a bit of regret at the thought that she really wouldn’t get the tight-lipped woman to open up.

But, after a few moments, Micah heard a voice filled with sadness start to tell a tale.

“I have a daughter, you know,” Circe said as she continued working. “A little girl around your age… no, maybe a little older.”

“A-A daughter? You…?”

“Mhm. I had her when I was too young and stupid to know what I was getting myself into. I was at that age where I just wanted to try all sorts of things, and my ignorance caused me to do something that was completely unforgivable.”

She paused, and for a moment Micah thought she was going to elaborate after collecting herself. But instead, she skipped over the details and continued.

“Now, that girl hates me more than anyone else in the world. So much so that she ran away from here and disappeared off the map. I tried searching for her, even calling in a few favors, but all of my usual channels yielded nothing. I don’t know where she is, what she’s up to, or frankly, whether she’s even alive or not.”

“That’s… um… I-I’m so-”

“Don’t be,” she interrupted. “I brought it on myself, so I only have myself to blame. This happened not long before I met you, so I suppose a part of me wanted to believe… well… believe that you could replace her in some fashion. Fufu, it does sound rather ridiculous when I say it out loud, doesn’t it? Haha…”

All the while as she talked, the smile never disappeared from Circe’s face. But even as she glanced into the mirror, Micah couldn’t see Circe’s eyes beneath her bangs as her head dipped down slightly. For a moment, her fingers trembled, and it felt like the first bit of genuine emotion Micah had been able to recognize from her boss, but just as quickly as it appeared, it vanished as her head rose back up and revealed her picture perfect smile once again. The mask was back in place.

“In any case, mine is only one example of a trend that stretches the world over. Magi isn’t a world that’s kind to parents, Micah. Or to families in general. Sooner or later, no matter how happy they might be, every family is torn apart in some manner or another. I’ve seen it happen time and time again.”

Four faces flashed into Micah’s mind at that moment, followed by a trio that should have had nothing to do with her under normal circumstances. She swallowed hard as she tried to process what Circe was telling her.

“I understand if you don’t want to accept my ideals and my way of life. I also understand if you reject the notion that my life experiences have shaped me into who I am now. But if you truly think that the way I do things is wrong—that the existence of my organization is detrimental to the world… then you’re going to have to change the world itself until it becomes unnecessary. Until no one in the world has to suffer in the way that I’ve suffered. In the way that Talahanan and his family suffered. In the way that you suffered.”

“I… I see what you’re saying, but… I don’t think I can do that,” Micah answered meekly. “I-I’m… I’m just a normal girl, you know? I’m not so special that I can change the hearts of everyone in the whole world.”

“Really? Well, who knows what could happen,” Circe said, a ghost of a smile on her face as she set the brush down and began styling Micah’s hair up on top of her head. “After all, you’re a girl who came all the way from another world. That sort of miracle is the kind that comes around only once in a lifetime, so who knows what else might be possible? And personally, I’m looking forward to the day where I don’t have to do any more tedious paperwork. …Annnnd, done.”

Circe stepped back, giving Micah room to glance up at the mirror and see how she‘d used a soft scrunchie to style her hair up into a loose bun. Micah ran a hand over it slowly, marveling at the care and expertise put into it.

“Your hair is nice and healthy, so you should take care of it properly. This way you’ll be able to sleep a bit more comfortably.”

“It… It looks great. Thanks for the help.”

“Fufu, it was no problem at all. Thank you for listening to me ramble on for a bit about useless things. It… helped me feel a bit better too.”

Circe stepped away, giving Micah the space to stand from the chair. Seeing as how their conversation had come to an end, she headed for the door… then paused before she could touch the handle. She turned back.

“Um… About your daughter…” she started hesitantly. “Are you… going to keep looking for her?”

Circe’s answer was immediate. “I won’t. I realized partway through that even if I managed to find her, she wouldn’t want anything to do with me. So I gave up a long time ago.” She sat back down on the edge of her bed, then smirked Micah’s way. “Besides, a certain crybaby begged me earnestly with her head bowed, so I have someone new to search for now. Sawatari Yuu, was it?”

“Ah, r-right. …Wait, who’re you calling a crybaby?!” Micah barked, earning an amused giggle from Circe. Embarrassment from both the memory and from Circe’s teasing brought a flush to her cheeks, and she quickly pressed them into the pillow while glaring daggers at the woman. “I-I didn’t cry! W-Well I mean, I did, but… I only… I only cried a little…”

“I know, I know.” Circe waved her hand, then let out a small sigh. “Geez, how am I supposed to believe you’re actually twenty-eight when you act like that…? Anyway, it’s fun bantering and all, but we shouldn’t stay up for too long. See you tomorrow, Micah.”

The smile she showed in that moment was so bright that Micah couldn’t bring herself to argue further. So instead, she mumbled bitterly into the pillow. “Y-Yeah… good night.”

And like that, she slipped out of the door. After closing it shut, she stood there for a moment while recalling everything that had transpired in there. All in all, she’d gotten the answers she was looking for, so things had worked out better than expected. Still, thinking about it again, there was one thought still lingering in her mind.

For Circe to have a daughter… I wonder who the father is…? I’ve never seen her wearing a ring, so I don’t think she’s married… No, come to think of it, isn’t she way too young? She doesn’t even look twenty-five, so the idea that she has a child that’s older than me is…

“Haa… Just when I thought I was beginning to understand her, she somehow becomes even more mysterious. I wonder if she did that on purpose.”

Despite her sigh, Micah’s heart felt somewhat light as she returned to her room.

1