Chapter 287 – Free
1.6k 14 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I must say, I’m impressed,” a raspy voice said. From the box building before Yuki, the Fiddler stepped out. “Surprised as well, but mainly impressed.”

Yuki locked eyes with him and instinctively flicked her wrists. To her surprise, her daggers flew out and her hands wrapped around their handles. The Fiddler stared at them and gave her a small shrug.

“Since you broke my spell, your weapons are back with you, I see,” he said. 

“What do you mean?” Yuki asked.

“Which part are you confused on?”

“The weapons.”

“Oh. Well, I did a little mental manipulation and made you forget you had them on,” he replied. “So you didn’t use them. Would be a tad unfair.”

“Enough with the talk,” Ember growled. She clenched her fist and raised them. “Let’s just beat this guy up right now.”

Yuki grabbed Ember’s shirt before she could get far. Ember gave her a questioning look in response.

“Don’t cross the border just yet,” Yuki said. “Wait a bit. The time will come.”

Ember frowned, but listened. She lowered her hands and stood right at the edge of the circle that indicated the area that Yuki controlled. The magic was still going, Yuki’s mana flowing out from her at a steady rate. She had enough to keep it running for a bit of time. 

“Not attacking just yet, hmm,” the Fiddler said. “You seem to know why. What do you want to ask?”

“Why are we here in a forest?” Yuki said, gesturing broadly around herself. 

“Because I set up my Coliseum in a forest,” the Fiddler replied. “You broke the spell that ran all of this. So, this is where we stand now.”

“But how?”

“Oh, you don’t know what you did. I thought you would, since you were the one to do it,” the Fiddler said. “Let me explain then. You tried to claim land that existed in my dimension. The land was based on this area where we stand right now. The dirt is the exact same. So when you did your little spell, it searched for it and ripped through my spell and dragged you two here.”

“I don’t get how that’s possible,” Yuki frowned.

“Space magic does that sometimes. Unexpected results. Sometimes deadly results.”

“Yuki, why can’t we just go at him right now?” Ember whispered. “He’s not resisting or anything.”

“Because your friend understands the advantage she has,” the Fiddler answered. “She can’t leave the circle, otherwise her spell will disappear and I can activate my dimension once again. And if you leave it, then she can’t protect you from the various other types of magic I can use.”

“I can take him one on one,” Ember said. 

“I know that,” Yuki replied. “But I want to get some action as well. So wait a bit.”

Ember’s eyes lit up and she nodded. 

“But why isn’t he leaving?” Ember asked. 

“You know, you can just ask me directly,” the Fiddler said, his voice bored. “I’m right here.”

“I could. That doesn’t mean I want to,” Ember shot back, glaring at him. 

“Fair enough,” he shrugged. “But to answer your question. I’m not leaving for the same reason that your friend isn’t leaving her own circle. The spell would end and then you would strike.”

“You know you can’t win this, right?” Yuki asked. “The advantage is ours. Why not just accept it?”

“Because I want to chat first,” the Fiddler replied. “Since I’m about to die, why not? I’m sure you’ll find some of the things I have to say to be interesting.”

Yuki considered the Fiddler’s offer for a few moments. He was right. They both knew how this will turn out. So, if the Fiddler had anything that could be important to Yuki, then it wouldn’t hurt to listen.

‘Wait. I’m outside right now,’ she thought. ‘There is nothing blocking me.’

She reached out tentatively with her mind, and grasped at the thread between her and Akira. It was there, stronger than ever. Relief flooded her as she took the thread. 

‘Akira,’ she whispered. A reply came back in less than a second. 

[Yuki,] Akira’s voice replied, soft with disbelief. [How? What happened? Where are you? Are you okay?]

Hearing Akira’s voice again nearly brought Yuki to her knees as she pushed down the tears that threatened to fall. She felt like a woman who was lost in the desert tasting water for the first time in days. Only her days were actually months. 

Arms wrapped around her. Ember hugged her. She must have known what was going on from Yuki’s expressions. 

‘I’m fine now,’ Yuki said. ‘You can find me, right?’

[Yes. I’ll be there soon. Don’t move,] Akira said. She paused. [Yuki. I’m...never mind. Not now. I’ll find you.]

‘I’ll be waiting then.’ 

She let go of the thread with reluctance and hugged Ember back, whispering thank you into her ear. Then she broke away and looked at the Fiddler who was giving them curious looks. 

“Go on. Tell us what you want to say,” Yuki said, her eyes hardening.

“Oh, you still want to hear it?” the Fiddler said. “I don’t want to get between the two of you as you have your moment.”

“Speak.”

“Alright then. It’s mainly about that girl,” the Fiddler started. “The one with blue eyes. Relatively tall. Wields a sword and has a water affinity.”

“I know who you’re speaking of,” Yuki said. The Fiddler was describing Yuna. Yuki imagined Yuna’s innocent face and a pang of longing to see her hit her. 

“You need to help her,” the Fiddler said. His voice was serious with no hint of playfulness within it. “She doesn’t realise what is in her and without the proper mentors, she will destroy herself.”

“I hope you’re going to tell me how to help her,” Yuki frowned.

“Of course. Why else would I bring it up?”

“To taunt me.”

The Fiddler laughed. “Maybe. If it was about someone else. But I would never do that to a youngling. If it was about an elder, then absolutely. She didn’t do anything. I will always help my kin.”

“Then how do I help her?” Yuki asked, filing what the Fiddler said for later. 

“Take her to the angels. They will do what is needed,” the Fiddler said. “Your friend next to you will know how to get there.”

“Wait,” Ember interrupted. “If she’s just an angel, she’ll be fine.”

“You’re right. If she was just an angel, she would be fine,” the Fiddler replied, his voice pointed. 

“Oh,” Ember said, her eyes widening.

“But why do you care?” Yuki asked. “She’s none of your concern.”

“She certainly is of my concern,” the Fiddler said. “She needs to be trained to control her powers. She’s old enough to protect herself now. Now, she needs to reclaim her rightful seat.” 

“Seat?” Yuki repeated. 

“You’ll understand when you get there. Maybe she can herald the changes needed.”

“Alright,” Yuki frowned, pushing other questions she had aside. There was one thing, though, that she wanted to ask. “Fiddler. Why were you at the battle where you took me?”

The Fiddler grinned.

“Someone told me,” he replied. “Said that there was a person of interest that he wanted. I couldn’t refuse. So I went there, but then changed my mind and took you for myself. It was too good of an opportunity.”

“Who told you?”

“I can’t say. It’s against my agreement. But, I think I can say that it’s probably someone you’ve met before.”

Yuki understood what he was hinting at. There was probably only one group that she could think of that would want her.

“I see,” she said. “Then. I guess there’s only one more thing I want to know.”

“And what’s that?”

“What’s your real name?” 

“I don’t have any,” the Fiddler replied after a small pause. “I lost the right to it. I don’t regret it one bit.”

Yuki didn’t understand what the Fiddler meant. Surely, he would remember it even if he didn’t believe it represented who he was now. But she knew that he wouldn’t give any other answer. 

“Well. Then let’s get this over with,” she said. She stretched her arms. “I want to thank you first though.”

“For what?”

“Without your help, I wouldn’t have nearly gotten this strong. So, thank you for that.”

“How strong did you get?” the Fiddler asked. Yuki grinned though there was no joy in her eyes. 

“Let me show you.”

With a sweep of her arm, she funneled magic into the spell around her. The circle expanded out rapidly until it surrounded both her and the Fiddler. His eyebrows raised, but he didn’t move from his spot. 

“Ember. Have at him,” Yuki said.

“With pleasure,” she growled.

 

65