Chapter 339 – Declaration
1.2k 2 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“That’s quite the bold claim you’re making there, Yuki,” Vermilion said. Yuki spied Garen off to the side with a small grin on his face. 

“It is bold, yes,” Yuki nodded. “However, I wouldn’t claim to be able to do something that I do not believe I can do. I am confident that I will be able to pull it off given the time.”

“But how exactly?”

“By doing what you said was impossible. I will manipulate the spell by tapping into its magic. I know it can be done.”

“How exactly do you know this?” Vermilion pressed. “This would be unprecedented if what you are saying is true. I cannot trust such a plan like this if it’s based on unfounded theories and hypotheses.”

“I know because it has been done,” Yuki replied quietly. “Do you know who did it?”

Vermilion pressed his lips together.

“The one who sat on this seat before me,” she said. “She wrote in a notebook about it. She spent months researching as she tried to find a way to harness the magic of others. And she succeeded, although it was only for a moment. Kilik, you know I am not lying about this.”

She looked up at him, imploring him to reply with her eyes. He stared back with a cool expression that hid whatever he was thinking. Then he nodded.

“How confident are you that you can use that technique she made?” Kilik asked.

“Around eighty percent,” Yuki said. “Sophie taught me many things when we were together, and so I know a bit of how she makes spells and uses them. I can replicate her success.”

“If it’s only for a moment, then how can you possibly manipulate a barrier in such a precise way?” Vermilion asked.

“That is why I need time,” Yuki said, turning her attention back toward him. “I need a day at most to scout the area and analyze the spell. Once I can identify what the spell does and how it does it, I only need a few seconds to recode it. That’s why it is so important that this is approved as soon as possible so I can get to work. The more time I have, the higher the chance of success goes.”

Vermilion leaned back in his seat and bit his lip as he thought to himself.

“I’m sorry, but this is something that just sounds impossible to me,” he sighed. “As much as I trust Kilik, you need to understand that this breaks a fundamental law of magic we mages hold. I am a dragon who has dedicated himself to magic. This is something that I would need to see in order to believe.”

 Yuki stared back at him as her mind raced to try to find a way out of this situation. Any doubt in her plan could sway the opinions of the others.

“There isn’t enough time for me to show you an example right now,” she replied. “What Sophie used her discovery for is something I cannot disclose. However, we can come to a compromise. If this plan gets initial approval, I will show you what I will do and will go to the site and display this impossibility right there. If it fails, we call off the plan and go back to the drawing board. However, I don’t believe it will fail and can’t fail. We cannot let that speech be given before we strike.”

“Well, I don’t see how that can hurt,” Vermilion nodded slowly. “Your plan hinges on this idea. I don’t believe we can create a plan before the scheduled date of that speech either.”

“That is what I think as well,” Yuki said. “My proposition here is to give us a chance. We can back out at any moment during the plan where we feel like it will fail. I believe, though, that it is imperative that we strike as soon as possible. I do not want to let the Shikaku execute their plan.”

“I have a question,” Jared asked. “It’s about the operation in general. You say that we need to strike soon so that the Shikaku can’t use our attack as fuel for their plans. Wouldn’t any strike we do bring attention to us? We are attacking highly skilled people. The battle won’t be something that can be ignored so easily.”

“That’s why it’s a matter of timing, Jared,” Yuki replied. “You’re right. Any attack we do will bring attention to us. The context though matters. If the Shikaku do their speech before we strike, the general population will see it as retaliation by us and evidence of the Shikaku’s claims.”

“But if we strike before, the Shikaku can use our attack as evidence for their claims when they give the speech,” Jared refuted. “How is this any different?”

“Their leadership will be greatly weakened though,” she said. “Again, this is why we need to strike quickly. The fast we can eliminate the top, the sooner we can clean up the bottom. If we take out their leadership, then they will most likely be panicked and their organization will be in chaos. If the speech is made, however, we will have to deal with the Libra government as a whole. Our actions will be seen as acts of war officially, It’s the lesser of two evils, really. One way, we worsen our relations with Libra, and the other way, we inevitably start a war.”

“I’m not caught up in Libra laws. Remind me, why wouldn’t the first approach be seen as an act of war?”

“Because the Shikaku are officially recognized as a dark guild,” Yuki replied. “This designation will never change, even if the Shikaku controlled the entire government. If they tried to change it, it would only bring scrutiny. So, legally, if a dark guild is the target of an attack, then it will not be an act of war as they are not considered a part of Libra.”

Jared nodded slowly as he took in what Yuki said.

“So if the speech is made, then our strike can be manipulated to become an attack on Libra itself in retaliation,” he mused. He smiled at Yuki. “Clever. They may have shot themselves in the foot a bit, eh?”

“In a way, yes,” Yuki said, smiling back. “We can thank the previous governments for this little hole.”

“I have no more question,” Jared said before leaning back in his seat. 

“Thank you, Jared,” Kilik responded. He looked around the chamber at the other councilmembers. “Is there anyone else?”

The members sat in their seats, quiet. Many of them had looks of deep thought inscribed on the lines of their faces. Vernon was the only one that seemed at ease with a bemused look on his face.

“I have a question,” Halie said finally. Kilik nodded at her, telling her to continue. “It’s a more personal one that the ones asked already, if that’s fine with you, Yuki.”

“Asked away,” Yuki said.

“The goal of your guild is to get rid of the Shikaku, correct?” 

“Mainly, yes.”

“What do you think about power?” she asked as she tapped her cheek, her nails painted a deep blue. 

“Power? The type that controls people?” Yuki replied. “I do not yearn for it. I do not wish to lead. Any power I have gained thus far has been entirely for my goal of destroying the Shikaku.”

“But you do realise that when the Shikaku topple, there will be a power vacuum made that needs to be filled,” Halie said. “The one who would be expected to fill it would be you.”

“That’s correct.”

“Convince me then that you do not want this. Convince me that you do not have ulterior motives at play here. Do not tell me anything philosophical. Do not tell me that you only want the world to be a better place. Power is an alluring temptress that can seduce even the strongest of souls. I know it tugs at you, at least subconsciously. So tell me why you wouldn’t take that power. The real reason.”

Yuki stared at her as she mulled over the question. It was a fair question, but one she hadn’t expected. It made her think. Why didn’t she want power? The idea didn’t appeal to her in the least. It never did. 

Her thoughts went back to her first meeting with Sophie. It was in that forest where Sophie tested her. When she passed, Sophie made a plea to her. It was a plea to carry on Sophie’s work and protect the world from the Shikaku. 

She remembered why she agreed. It wasn’t to help the world. It wasn’t because she believed that she alone could lead the world to a better place. No, it was more personal.

“The reason I started this,” Yuki started slowly, “wasn’t for Libra. It was for revenge. The Shikaku took those that were precious to me. My parents. My adopted parents. My caretaker. And then I met Akira. Then Erica. Yuna. Ember.”

She paused and looked over at the group that stood off to the corner. They were listening intently to her words. 

“I grew close to them. I opened up to them and let them into my life as I went into theirs. I grew to love them.” She swept her gaze across the chamber. “You might notice a common theme among them and myself. We’re demons. And the Shikaku are threatening to try and take rip away from my life as well. I can’t let that happen.”

“When this is done,” she continued after a small pause, “that threat will be gone. I have no need for power anymore. My goal will have been met. I just want to be with those that I love. I will help fill those seats, yes, but I will never take one for myself. I promise you that. Nor will the people I push will be from my guild.”

“I started this fight because of the ones I lost. I will end this protecting the ones I have.”

Halie stared at Yuki for a moment before turning to Vernonica. Then she gave a small nod.

“I have no more questions,” she said.

 

53