Something Fluffy This Way Comes
565 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since I had my Status checked at the church, Papa has been gushing non-stop to anyone he can rope into a conversation about how 'wonderful' and 'special' I am. It gets embarrassing to be around him when he does this, but I can't get away since he holds me in a tight hug while he talks. I tried to explain to him that I don't want him boast about me but his response was that 'the world needs to know great his daughter is'. I'm gonna die from all the blood rushing to my head from the amount of times he's done this. 

"I swear, Yue, sometimes Papa is just too much."

⌈Meow⌋

Currently we were sitting in the back garden under a cherry tree, the pink buds swayed slightly in the breeze. Here in this world the name for them was the same as the Japanese word for cherry, sakura. In fact, a lot of things in world uses Japanese words as names. I guess either another reincarnator from Japan named them all, or the Gods of this place loved that country and shaped this world after their light novels. I still think they made a mistake in sending me here. I'm from the United States after all, and I've never even been to Japan.

A tiny paw brought me out of my thoughts as it patted my face. Yue meowed at me in a concerned manner. He's such a sweet cat. I'm really glad Papa was able to give him to me, he's been great friend and would listen to my rants without fail. Yes, I know he's just an animal and can't really understand me, but I just need someone to talk to without restraint. 

Yue jumped from my lap and ran towards the edge of the forest that surrounded the garden. I ran after him without thinking of telling anyone, my only thought was to get him so that he can be safe. His wings have grown a bit but flight was still impossible for him at such a young age. I pushed my way through the brush, not even taking in any land marks, and followed his tiny black figure. Being a feline, Yue was fast, but my cheat-like stats made it easy to keep track of him.

I don't know how long I was following him for, but he finally stopped in a clearing full of deep blue grass. The lush vegetation looked amazing moving with the breeze, but what made my breath catch in my throat was the tree that stood in the middle of it all. It was taller than the surrounding trees and glowed a dull light. It's bark and leaves were as white as newly fallen snow and glistened in the dim glow it gave off. Walking up to it with Yue after he climbed onto my shoulder, I pressed a hand against it's bark and felt a cooling sensation. The whole tree was cool to the touch even though it was a bit hot outside. 

I heard a twig snap and turned quickly around to see a man step into the clearing from the forest. I'm used to people having strange hair colors since Papa's is silver and mine is pink, but seeing people with a horn growing from their head? That's a new one. He stepped closer to me as I stepped back, the cool bark of the tree pressing into the palms of my hands. The man seemed curious about me as he kept staring.  Looking from the tree, to Yue, then back to me.

"#$&^$&*^$^"

"Huh?"

"#$&^$&*$^"

"I'm sorry, Sir, but I don't understand what you are trying to say." He paused for a bit before staring more intently at me. I didn't know what he was doing, but it suddenly felt like he was staring straight into my soul...and I didn't like. It lasted for only a moment, but I felt like I was stripped naked for all the world to see. The man nodded his head and before I knew what was happening, he appeared before me and kissed me full on the lips!

I was frozen in shock! This 20 something year old man was suddenly kissing the 10 year old me! It was my FIRST KISS as well! Papa, I may not be able to get married now. The man pulled back and put a 6 foot distances between us before speaking once more.

"Can you understand me now?"

"Wha- How-......Huh?"

"That's odd, you have the Language Adaptation skill according to your status. You should be able to understand and speak my language now."

"I-I do. Understand you that is. But what the freck wa-was that KISS all about!?" I could feel the tears in my eyes threaten to fall down my cheeks as I glared at him. "Why can I understand you so suddenly? And how the heck did you know about my skill."

"Patience, Young One, I will explain it all." He walked towards me again and sat under the white tree, motioning me to sit as well. I stubbornly stayed standing and away from him, this lip molester. "My name is Skalander, and I have a skill that allows me to see the status of others. Though it is unpleasant for the other party to experience it."

"Ugh, so that's what the creepy feeling was about. Please don't ever do that again without asking me."

"As you wish."

"And the uncalled for kiss?"

"That was the way to acquire my language so that we may speak." .....Seriously? THAT'S how I use the Language Adaptation skill? By KISSING other people!? That is one skill I may never use again. "I was curious on how you got to this place. The Winter Tree is a place only spirits and Fae can enter, and as far as I can tell, you are a human."

"Does that mean you aren't a human? I know that a horn growing out of your head is unusual, at least to me, but other than that you're as human as I." 

"You can see my horn?" He looked surprised as I pointed it out. I mean, it's kind of obvious and hard to miss. "Young One, this horn is hidden from mortal eyes. The only here able to see it should be that Gartende cub on your shoulder. May I look at your status once more? There might be a clue there." Hesitant, I nodded my head and felt that violating feeling cover me once more. It lasted longer than the first time, but Skalander seemed focused on something.

"Amazing." He said after a while, a happy look cross his features. "You, Young One, are a marvel and someone who is very special."

"....I see you have been talking with my Papa." I couldn't help the deadpan look on my face. I've been hearing the same thing everyday since I went to the church.

"What? No, I don't think you get it. Look at your titles. It says that you are the child of the Goddess and a loved one of the spirits. That makes you a very special existence on this world, one of a kind in fact. These titles allow you to see and experience things that everyone else cannot. It even allowed you to see my horn through the spell.....I believe you are worthy."

"Worthy? Worthy of what, exactly?"

"Of seeing my true form." As he spoke, his body was enveloped in a bright light. It hurt to watch so I had to close my eyes until it died down enough to see once more. Rubbing my eyes, I looked around to find the man gone, instead there was a beautiful silver horse standing in his place. It had a long shimmering fur and giant wings folded against it's sides. The clear horn on his head was similar to the man's but longer and had a sharper looking point.

"...You're Skalander, aren't you?" I asked as I stared into it's bright purple eyes.

⌈Yes, I'm surprised you're not freaking out right about now. Most humans would run screaming.⌋

"Huh, so I can understand you even in this form."

⌈Since you acquire my language earlier, you also were granted the language of this form as well. Young One, I have a request.⌋

"Sure, what's your request?" My eyes were glued to his silky looking fur as he spoke with me. I don't what it is about fluffy animals, but I just can't seem to resist the urge to pet them.

⌈Form a contract with me. I shall become one of your familiars and you, my master. With this I can protect you form those that wish to bring you harm.⌋

"......Can I pet you?"

⌈Yes?⌋

"OK! Let's make a contract!" I clenched my fists in determination. I really wanted to pet him to my heart's content. If a small contract was the price then so be it!

⌈I feel like you're taking this way too lightly, but let's start. All you have to do is focus your mana on me while I do the same to you. This will form a bond between us that will link us together.⌋ 

I nodded and began to focus on the strange power that was inside me. It felt like a coiled ball right around where my stomach would be. Every now and then I would mediate and pull it to different parts of my body for fun, but it was a lot harder to pull it outside and onto another creature. Sweat began to roll down my face as I tried again and again without success. My frustration was being to build up when Skalander started to talk to me in a calming voice that echoed in my mind.

⌈Calm down, Young One, you are trying to force it when you should be guiding it. Think of your mana was water and imagine it smoothly flowing towards the direction that you want it to go. Now, take a deep breath and try again.⌋

Doing as I was told, I took a breath and felt for my mana again. It was back to being in a coiled ball in the pit of my stomach. Gently, I imagined a portion of it flowing out of it and into my hand. From there I coaxed it from my body and into the sir towards Skalander where it enveloped him in it's purple color. I saw a lighter purple come off his body and towards mine. It surrounded me in warmth and safety as the two lines melted together and formed a wispy golden thread. I could feel his presence through it and knew that this must be the bond that he was talking about before.

"Wow."

⌈Wow, indeed. Forming a bond with your familiars is a wonderful thing and shows how much you trust each other.⌋

"Can I pet you now?" Skalander sighed slightly and nodded his head. I flew over to his side and rubbed my hands all over his body. The fur felt better than I ever thought it would! I was like petting a fluffy cool cloud, I could never get tired of this feeling. 

Today has been a wonderful day. Yue lead me to a place I can call my own; I met Skalander and made another friend; And I got to fill up my mofumofu meter with different kind of fluff. Now all I had to do was explain everything that happened to Papa. Speaking of which, it seems to be night time now, so I hope he's not too worried......who am I kidding.

28