Chapter 50 – Departure
544 2 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 50Departure.

Crystal looked out of the window and down onto the street below. Dawn hadn’t quite yet broken, but even now it was a hive of activity. People were scurrying past in both directions as a number of wagons hauled their load up the steep street. The work-horses pulling the loads were large, breed to be indifferent to what was going on around them Crystal assumed, but even they seemed to get a bit timid as they passed their room by. A group of the city guard were slowly making their way along the street as well, stopping to talk to various people that they passed, the area bathed in the orangey hue of the street lights.

“Think they’re looking for us?” Crystal asked as Rachael came up behind her, wrapping her arms across her front. She was nice and warm, and she would have loved to have spent the early hours of the morning snuggled up in bed with her, but alas that wasn’t an option today.

Maybe? They’re doing a terrible job if they are. I would have thought it would have been Bowser’s hit squad themselves doing the searching though. Perhaps they’re still just looking for signs of Ashling?

Unsurprisingly, tales and fears about a giant dragon had been the main conversation in the main room of the tavern below the previous night, especially since the tavern was located near the riverside docks. It was rather amusing to hear peoples theories about Ashling, as well as the numerous conspiracy theories that it was some massive hoax engineered by Bowser to enforce some new guideline or the like. The working class were quite happy to pin whatever they could on the nobles, some even suggesting that the dragon had been the spirit of the city warning them about their corruption.

Rachael was right though, if the guards were looking for them they would be easy to find. While the tavern had indeed been a safe place to stay, the owner a friend of Clocky’s, they hadn’t tried to hide themselves and the presence of the group of touched was likely common knowledge. Myne hadn’t been with them when they had arrived here either, turning up at some point in the night, making herself comfortable in one corner of her and Rachael’s room. She’d disappeared again short while ago, deliberately making enough noise about it to force them to get up. It wouldn’t be long before they were on their way though, and Crystal was excited about it.

Crossing the Tempest is going to be a dicey affair, even for you two,” Myne stated as she returned to their room, closing the door behind herself. “It was just as much a pain for me as it was for Velvet a decade ago. Using that shift array would be preferable, but I assume that nothing has changed overnight?”

Crystal shook her head. While Velvet had used it to move them to Bowser’s chamber, there had not been the chance to study it properly before it had vanished, so their knowledge of it was incomplete at best. Velvet obviously had access to it somehow, but as it still wasn’t stored within the cat-foxes that didn’t help them much. Both Crystal and Rachael had thought about it, but nothing had come of it. When she finally met her that was one thing that she was going to ask about. Given the vast size of the world it would be insanely useful, especially since they wouldn’t have the luxury of Ashling once they parted ways with Myne.

‘You’re just used to an age where the world was made small by various forms of vehicles.’

That was true, but she was also keen to explore more of the world. With Rachael of course. Given their nature, they would end up travelling light she expected, so being able to return to a base of operations or meet up with others like Clocky and his team would be invaluable. Time would tell she guessed, but given that the spell had been used on them enough times already she was sure they’d be able to argue to the point for gaining access to it.

It is what it is,” Myne said with a shrug. “Come, we’re leaving. Grab some food on the way.”

Exactly how are we leaving the city?” Rachael asked, pulling her arms frin Crystal, much to Crystal’s dismay.

That all depends on what that lot out there do,” Myne replied, motioning in the direction of the window. “It’s a royal pain having to be discrete about ones coming and goings. Not something that I ever had to worry about as a Rider.”

Not that their arrival had been that discrete, but expedience had been the key.

The others were waiting outside their room as they exited. Clocky looked thoughtful as he usually did, Fairweather awake and alert. Abigail was leaning against the Grazeye, stifling a yawn, while Saylin looked like she was trying to fall back asleep.

“Saylin’s never been a morning lass. Looks like Abigail takes after her as well.” Vorsce stood behind the pair, an amused grin on his face.

The tavern was otherwise empty as they made their way down the stairs and across the main room, exiting out onto the street. While they got a few looks, most of the people kept their heads down, heading towards their destinations. Apart from the guards. Looking back as the headed down the street towards the riverside docks, slowing slightly so that she didn’t tumble down the street, she saw all of the guards stop, and stare straight at them. There was a hurried conversation, then a pair of them dashed off up the street. It looked like they were on their list, if not their actual target. Crystal gave them a cheerful wave, and then turned, catching back up with Rachael.

The sky brightened as they walked, the first of the mornings rays peaking over the buildings as they exited into the port market. The smell of fresh fish, both cooked and raw wafted past them, Fairweather’s ears twitching and tail swishing as they homed in on one of the food stalls. Crystal hadn’t eaten any fish since waking here, but she was hungry and the grilled fish, with a spicy tang to it, smelled rather good.

Food for eight,” Clocky said, tossing some coins over to the vendor, who caught them and pocketed them. Throwing a few more fish on the grill and powdering them with some combination of spices, the vendor then pulled out some more from a barrel behind him, and proceeded to cut and gut them. Crystal decided that was something she could do without knowing, and turned to look at the market.

She had seen it briefly when they had arrived, Ashling flying over it on their way to the dust bowl district, which neighboured this one. The evidence was here, a coating of the orange dust visible on the tops of some of the market tents. The river port was broken into three sections, and according to Clocky as a new one had been added the roles of the sections had evolved to suit the changed dynamics. This section was an older part of the city, the original portion of the river port, and while the docks were looking aged, the entire area was paved and well laid out. The market was large, a collection of tented stalls arranged in a uniform grid with enough space in between for the crowds to flow through. It wasn’t just fish either, but all manner of goods. She could see all sorts of foods, beer and wine, rolls of fabric and clothes, and even one stall with an assortment of weapons. Then there were the ones that had collections of stuff that looked vaguely familiar. Parts of cars, machines, and other assorted technology that had been salvaged. There was even a few paintings for sale as well. And there was also one that seemed to be selling salves and potions, though she wasn’t sure how that would actually work out here.

Their food was ready quicker than she had thought it would take, and it was actually pretty good. The fish had been skinned and de-boned, spiced and wrapped in some form of flatbread with some soft cooked grain and greens. Crystal had no idea what type of fish it actually was, probably freshwater given their location, but it reminded her of the cheap fish that you got from fish and chip shops that you would have found in every suburb. Minus the tempura batter. Surely that still existed in this day and age, though how to get the consistent heat required for deep frying, and if that was still a thing she had no idea. Hot chips would also be nice, but perhaps that was just nostalgia talking.

They made their way through the market as they ate, the early hour meaning that their passage was largely unhindered. As was the normal for the city, they were getting a lot of stares, which Crystal was trying her best to ignore. To be honest she wasn’t that used to the increased amount of attention, and it was starting to make her feel uncomfortable, especially as she knew the reasons behind them. When the adrenaline was pumping or her magic flowing she could quite happily be oblivious to it all, but at moments like now not so much. It was one thing to be appreciated or admired, another thing to be looked down upon, or feared, seen as a freak of nature. But it was part of the package, and she was determined to accept it all, and rise above it.

change is coming.

Exiting from the market, they walked along the docks and down the river, the sun slowly rising as the dawn warmed up a little. The warmth from its rays was comforting, more than just from the heat. Crystal was pretty sure that the aspect of their magic and their patron had something to do with it as well. She took Rachael’s hand, walking as close to her as she could. The bank sloped gently down to the river, which was massive and slow. The rivers reappeared on the eastern side of the city not too far from the market that they had just walked through, parts of the district sitting on top of the massive white stone tunnels that the waters flowed through. Concrete rather, she was certain. While the water rushed out into the plains, the river then quickly widened and the flow slowed, and although she could see the other side of the river here, in between the boats that were berthed at the port or anchored nearby, further down it became wide enough that she could barely make out the other side. The river system and the tunnels really were a miracle of engineering, especially as the river itself allowed for an inland shipping route.

So what’s the plan then?” Rachael asked as they went off the road that had run near the bank, following an aged but still well maintained footpath that meandered along the waters edge, just high enough that it hadn’t been washed away by any floods.

“We utilize the excuse they’re going to give us, and fly out from here,” Myne replied. “It is not my style to sneak around, and I don’t really fancy driving for a few hours to get out of the city’s range. Not to mention the van reeks.”

Hmpf,” Saylin pouted, sticking her tongue out at Myne.

“It won’t take them long to put it all together,” Rachael commented, “and is there going to be enough room here?”

Myne just shrugged. “They should have thought of that beforehand.”

Crystal mentally shook her head. Myne’s logic was definitely flawed, and yet she found herself agreeing with her.

And here they come,’ Spectre informed her a few minutes later, the sound of engines becoming audible.

They stopped to watch, a total of five vehicles pelting down the steep main street and skidding around the corner, Crystal surprised that they hadn’t just ended up ploughing into the market itself. They then roared along the riverside street, three of them then off it and along the bank itself, screeching to a halt around them. The remaining two stopped at the edge of the road. Myne just smiled and watched. Three dozen people piled out of the three armoured vans, making to flank them. They were armed and armoured as they were last time, though a few of them seemed to be sporting more plate or equivalent and this time there seemed to be a few that were holding guns as well. More impressive looking than Clocky’s gun had been, but not as functional from what she could tell, Spectre agreeing with her assessment. There were a few familiar faces, still looking a bit bruised, but a whole lot of new ones as well. Obviously the hit squad was substantial in size.

You’re under arrest for murder and treason,” one of the gun wielding men stated, glaring at them. Half the team appeared rather aggressive, weapons drawn or ready. The other hand though seemed rather timid.

No.” Myne shook her head at them, a serious look on her face.Did you not learn your lesson the last two times?”

“You are surrounded. Surrender and drop your weapons.”

“What, our two swords?” Myne laughed, a cruel smile breaking out. “I think you yet again misunderstand your situation. Numbers won’t help you here. You’ve brought bunnies to fight dragons.”

“You’re all bark and no bite. Stand down.”

“Bite huh?” Myne licked her lips, fangs on full display. “One chance. Leave us be. We have no further business with this city.”

If you will not surrender then you will all die.”

Myne shrugged. “Then you have sealed your fate.”

“Kill the...”

The man never got to finish his sentence. Crystal felt Myne release the restraint on her aura as an intense pillar of black flame erupted underneath the man, engulfing him entirely. Almost all of the squad stepped back, fear or confusion written on their faces. Two appeared unfazed, attacking Myne, a rapid series of shots going off as the other dashed towards her. A burst of flame from Myne’s hand slammed into the shooter, flinging him right across the street, his body landing limp and smoking, the second attacker collapsing in a bloodied heap as Myne withdrew her hand from him. Their attack on her had barely lasted a second.

“We’re leaving,” Myne then declared, licking at the blood on her hand before spitting it out in disgust. “No taste at all,” she grumbled.

“Please, clear the area,” Crystal implored, as she watched the remaining squad. More people had come out of the remaining two armoured vans, but they had stayed by the road. One in particular seemed to be intently watching Myne, but unlike the others it wasn’t with fear or malice, but something else entirely. Those around them hadn’t made a move in either direction yet either.

The air around them shifted, it’s feel changing as a light mist flowed around them, Ashling taking his full form. Myne wasn’t even trying to hide that aspect of his nature it seemed. Ashling roared, the closest squad members finally deciding to flee to the safety of their vans as shouts of panic arose from the market.

Hurry up you two,” Myne said, forming her wings of flame and picking up the Dark Grazeye as Ashling lowered himself down.

It didn’t take them long to get onto Ashling’s back, the newest passengers only requiring a little assistance up. Saylin looked pale as she and Abigail sat beside Crystal, her gaze wandering over Ashling’s form.

“How exactly are we meant to stay on him?” Saylin queried, her voice weak and strained. “We’re just going to get blown off and it’ll be a long way down.”

Crystal wasn’t surprised, both from what Rachael had told her of the girl and the experience of the van. Saylin and her irrational fear of vehicles, it wasn’t a full blown phobia as she did allow herself to get on them, but she always seemed to be teetering on the knives edge when she was.

With your magic,” Crystal replied, Saylin just giving her a blank and worried look.

Sit with me then,” Rachael offered. “I’ll keep a hold of you so you don’t fall off.”

Taint girl’s with me,” Myne chimed in, motioning Abigail over to her. “Last thing we need is her magic going awry in flight.”

Crystal snuggled down into Rachael’s back, reinforcement magic flaring as Ashling lifted himself off the ground and into the air, Saylin hanging onto her for dear life in front of Rachael as she held tightly onto her, the cat-foxes tucked in-between them. The city quickly shrunk as Ashling rapidly rose, breaking into the clouds before he then turned westwards, heading towards the Circle Sea. It was really beautiful up here, the clouds forming their own soft puffy sea, the strong winds balanced by the warmth of the sun. Out of sight, it would also be less likely that anyone would immediately guess where they were going, not that that was actually much of an issue.

For all of her show and bloodshed, Myne had actually been somewhat considerate in her own way, the location picked to minimize collateral damage. Mostly. Crystal did wonder what, if any, of the events would also be pinned on Clocky given that they had known who he was, but Clocky didn’t seem to be too worried about that aspect at all.

Turned out that they didn’t have to worry about Saylin vomiting all over them as she had in the van either. Saylin just fainted instead, which came with its own set of complications.


After what was probably a couple of hours Ashling dropped back down below the clouds, the landscape like a map laid out in front of them, tiny details on a sprawling canvas. Obviously either Myne or Ashling had an excellent sense of direction as they right on point, heading towards the Eastern Teeth range. Ashling stayed at height as he sped along, everything flowing past well below them.

Saylin woke up a short while later, groggy and disorientated, and after a quick look around her, she decided that the best place for her was lying flat, hugging Ashling’s massive form as best she could. Abigail on the other hand seemed to be enjoying the flight, occasionally exchanging words with Myne. Clocky and Fairweather looked completely comfortable with the experience, Fairweather happily leaning into Clocky, her ethereal flames seemingly unaffected by the winds that rushed past them. Vorsce sat behind Clocky, lost in his own thoughts. He seemed to have picked up the knack for staying on very quickly.

“It’s a little surreal isn’t it?” Rachael asked, the words as much heard as felt as Crystal hugged her back.

“Yeah, it’s nice though. All of it.” And she couldn’t deny that she loved the flying.

What do you think Angel’s goal is in all of this?” Crystal asked.

The whole taint and Bowser thing was part of it, but she had the strong suspicion that it was only a small part of it. Somehow, what they were now, the changes that had happened directly to them, felt like a more significant aspect, and while Velvet had given them a few additional secrets, she hadn’t provided any inkling of what actually might be going on there, beyond her return. She had said that she didn’t know what the actual ‘real’ goal of Angel was when she had contacted Crystal directly, but Crystal was certain that Velvet did in fact know more than what she had let on. It was there, between the lines, so to speak, not to mention that she hadn’t actually told them much of what the supposed plan that was in motion was either. But now that it was their focus, their complete lack of knowledge was rather glaring.

“I have no idea. She’s an Ancient, so there’s no knowing how she actually thinks. They do feel relatable though. Warrior had eluded to humanity rubbing off on them?”

Crystal did recall that. She wasn’t sure if that was that actually a good thing though.

neither are we.

 

it was an unavoidable necessity however.

some will be more effected than others.

 

as you have said however,

no regrets.

Irrespective, we’re together, and that’s what matters the most,” Rachael continued. Crystal gave her a tight loving squeeze, and snuggled in a bit deeper.

Crystal was sure that Ashling was flying faster than before. While it was hard to tell from the movement of his wings, the dragon familiar spending as much time beating his wings as he did gliding on currents that she couldn’t see, his flight also likely boosted by pure magic, they passed over the mountain range earlier than she had expected. Granted they were taking a more direct route, not hindered by the layout of the land as the train was. The railway line went north west initially, through Junction Pass and then through Cannons gate, eventually changing direction to almost directly westwards, passing through Lason Pass before reaching Port Alexis. Clocky had suggested that they just travel west-north-west, bypassing pretty much everything.

By early afternoon the port was in sight, and they were rapidly approaching it. Crystal could see the railway line heading out from it, and it appeared that they had finally cleared enough of the wreckage from the Narrows, a lengthy train departing from the town. Given that it had been over three weeks since the crash, there would be a decent backlog to clear. It was hard to tell from the distance, but it seemed that while the port section of it was constructed on/from the remains of a large port from her age, the rest of the town had been built around it, lacking the style and dominance of Brightswater. Much more developed and robust than Cannonsgate however.

“Drop us off a bit down the coast from the Port Alexis, and we’ll walk in,” Clocky said as they closed in on it. “Gently too please,” he added.

“That was always Velvet’s thing,” Myne said with a sigh, nodding though, Ashling banking slightly.

Saylin fainted again as Ashling rapidly slowed, Crystal even feeling the force on her body. The coastline south of the port was all empty golden sand beaches, leaving them with plenty of options and no cover. Sand and water sprayed everywhere as Ashling landed, a few large boats visible in the water further out likely to have seen their arrival.

How long do you think you’ll be?” Clocky asked, stretching as he stood up.

“Three days, if not less,” Myne replied, plonking Abigail on the back of the Grazeye, who started to make his way off Ashling.

“She’ll be fine for that long?” Clocky asked, looking towards Abigail.

“As long as she doesn’t get seriously wounded, yes. If she does, feed her some of your own blood. It’ll tide her over till we return.”

See you in three days then,” Clocky stated with a nod. “Take care you two,” he then added to Crystal and Rachael before clambering his way down off Ashling, Saylin giving them a groggy wave as she hung onto him.

“I don’t see why we’re bothering with farewells,” Vorsce said with a grin as he followed him down.

“You lot take care as well,” Crystal said to Fairweather, giving her a hug, before the cat-girl jumped off the back of Ashling, landing gracefully on the ground.

Once they had moved far enough away from Ashling, the dragon familiar took flight again, heading directly across the ocean, quickly rising into the sky but still managing to careen past the closest of the ships, a large wooden construct reminiscent of a galleon. While all that she could see ahead was the water meeting the horizon, everything looked clear, calm and peaceful. No indication at all of what Myne referred to as the Tempest Storm.

Crystal guessed they’d find out soon enough.

This section ended up being a bit longer than I had originally planned, but I wanted certain things to happen, and that they did.

They arrived in a storm (of dust), and left with a show of power, another thing to add to the chaos that is the filling of Bowser's vacuum. They are finally on their way to the Innerlands, assuming that crossing the Tempest Storms doesn't cause them any issues.

As always, thanks for reading. Comments are welcome, it's nice to hear what peoples thoughts are.

The next chapter (51 - The Other Side) is out later this week (so they must make it across, at least according to the chapter title ^^)

25