Chapter 77 – Schemes
292 6 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 77Schemes.

Some things are just best done in a bed. Or somewhere soft and comfortable. Stone floors really aren’t a substitute. But when you find yourself lacking, you either do without, or make do best you can with what you have.

And in their case, it was the latter, and it was certainly still worth it.

Oh very much so. Desires intense and burning.

Even with three dragons and a fox cub watching on.

But since they were part of their magic, it didn’t really count, did it?

It did leave them all exhausted afterwards, sleep taking them straight away, tangled up together against Callisto, a furry blanket that Coorie had brought out from somewhere loosely draped over them. Not that it was necessary with the heat they were generating, even if it was now pouring down outside, the crashing of the rain against the mountainside all but drowning out any other noises.


Mistress...’

Ueana murmured quietly to herself, quite warm and comfortable. The scents of Fleur and Coorie were comforting and reassuring, their breathing regular and in sync with her own.

Mistress! Why are you always so hard to wake in the morning after things like that...’

Cause they were always so nice, and you wanted the feelings to last for as long as possible of course. Ueana snuggled in closer to the other two.

This really isn’t the time. I’m not sure how well it’ll go if Seashae tries to bite her into two, and her familiar might take exception to the attempt.’

Hmm. What was Callisto talking about...

What the #%$@ is going on here!”

Oh, that’s what.

Ueana opened her eyes to find Madison standing just in the entrance to the chamber, visibly seething with rage, her lip colour smeared across her lower face for some reason. Coorie’s brown familiar was standing by the entrance, growling at her while Madison’s dragon stood behind her doing likewise. Lily was on the other side of the entrance, glaring intently. At least the rain had cleared during the night, sunlight streaming in past their unwelcome guests, rainbow refractions dancing on the floor. As to whether any of Madison’s gaggle were with her, Ueana couldn’t see.

Way to ruin the morning though. She didn’t need this.

There isn’t much of the morning left...’

I was trying to sleep, but I guess I’m waking up now,” Ueana murmured as she attempted to sit up, her mind still mostly in sleep mode.

Which probably wasn’t the best idea, the blanket sliding partway off them, eliciting more derogatory expletives from Madison. Had she never seen a naked form before? Granted it was also more than she wanted to show to the likes of Madison, but it wouldn’t have been a problem if she hadn’t just walked into her room. Magic flaring around her, Ueana summoned her armour. It didn’t cover a lot more, but it did cover the necessary parts. At least the other two still had some of their skeon on.

Piss off,” Coorie said coldly as she stirred, rubbing her eyes as she glanced towards the entrance, her armour also manifesting in a flash of flames.

What the #$%@ are you doing here?” Madison looked confused for a moment, before rage took over her expression again.

Sleeping. What does it look like?” Coorie answered, her tone even more icy.

It doesn’t look like that at all. You... them...”

Well, what is going on here is none of your business and doesn’t concern you at all,” Coorie stated, and edge of power and command to her voice. “In fact, you are not welcome here, so as I said before, piss off.” Seashae took a step towards Madison, her growl becoming louder.

Ueana was actually a little surprised. She’d never seen Coorie like this, definitely channelling her full noble side. Fleur gave a little eep as she roused and noticed Madison, her armour also materialising. Coorie got up and stretched, making as much of a show of it as Ueana and Fleur also stood.

Madison seemed to reign herself in, her gaze still burning, but her composure more measured. “How far you have fallen.” Madison shook her head. “And to think I once called you a friend.” Glaring daggers at Ueana, she paused for a moment before she spun on her heels and strode from the chamber, her familiar soon after launching from the platform outside.

You have a history with her?” Ueana asked with curiosity. She couldn’t really see how it would have worked out though. Madison was still the queen of bitches, and her intrusion had only cemented that view further.

A long time ago. Before we were riders.” Coorie looked a little sad and shook her head. “We should get some food. If there is anything left. It looks like we have slept in.”

I wonder what she even wanted?” Besides another opportunity to harass and threaten her that was.

She is the third one to visit this morning. Someone I didn’t recognise first thing this morning, just after dawn, who left when Lily and Seashae growled at them, and then Bonebreaker’s mistress shortly after that. She left after a quick glance inside.’

Ueana felt herself go red with embarrassment. She hadn’t thought about the fact that they’d gone to sleep in full view of the entrance. She wouldn’t be doing that again. Unlike her previous room there wasn’t any doors in this one, yet. Which was odd, as there really should be, even for a dual habitat. Maybe it was just a poor design. Nothing that she could do about that now though. Sighing she shrugged. Food did seem like a solid idea however.


One of the servants scuttled up to them as they were finishing their meal. It wasn’t flash, mostly just leftovers that didn’t quickly spoil, but they were well outside of the main meal times after all, and it was better than nothing and filled a hole. Ueana had heard some of the other hatchlings moan about the pros and cons to the ways that the nests operated, but she herself didn’t really have any point of reference, as it was all that she really knew now, and it was certainly more privileged than the life of a commoner. Perhaps those complaining were just used to being spoilt, after all she was pretty sure there were too many nobles amongst the riders. The magic wasn’t hereditary or anything, with everyone apparently having the same chance of awakening with a gem, but it didn’t appear that way at times.

The servant gave them a quick bow, something that she’d never had one do before. She couldn’t place the servants name, but he was vaguely familiar. Ueana was certain that he was a member of Lady Knight Chloe’s assistants.

Sister Coorie, your presence is requested at the council chambers,” he informed them with a flat and almost monotone voice. “Ueana, Fleur, you have both been requested to attend training sessions in light of recent events, at Matir’s Plate.”

Ueana gave him a confused look. “Are you sure? Matir’s Plate is outside of the nest’s perimeter, and we were specifically told to stay nearby.”

That is where I was informed to send you yes. I’m not mistaken about the location.”

It seemed a bit odd, but it was an official directive so perhaps they had finally decided to be less suspicious of their report and actually act on it. It was even possible that was why Asher had come by her room that morning, or why Coorie was being summoned. She’d find out soon enough she guessed.

Okay. Thanks for the message,” Ueana said to the servant, before looking at Coorie.

Coorie looked concerned, but gave her a nod. “I’ll come join you both as quickly as I can.” Standing, she motioned to the servant. “Let’s get this over with.”


Matir’s Plate was an outlier as far as training grounds went for the nest. It predated the nest itself, having been built by one of the earliest riders of the kingdom, an earth aspected lattice soul, which seemed to be quite common as far as lattice soul riders went, with Lady Knight Asher also being earth aspected. That wasn’t to say that lattice soul riders, or lattice souls, were common at all, as they weren’t. But amongst the lattice soul riders, earth was the dominant aspect. Matir’s Plate was large, designed for both rider and familiar combat, its cracked and overhanging dome like walls earning it the nickname of the eggshell. It wasn’t used a lot as far as Ueana could recall, most training taking place in the numerous grounds within the nest itself, and usually just focusing on the rider’s ability to fight. They were after all viewed as the more essential of the rider-familiar pair. An incorrect view.

It didn’t take them long to reach it, swooping in over it’s northern wall and landing in the shade of the dome overhead. There were already six other hatchlings present, Brittie and Kat duelling as the rest watched on, with Sister Raeis moderating. As far as Ueana knew Raeis was around twice their age, and one of a group of five riders who helped train the younger hatchlings. Looking around she could see Emily and Saddie, but there was no sigh of Madison. Unusual, as she was always with her gaggle, but none the less Ueana was grateful. She could do without seeing her again today.

Both Brittie and Kat used pole-arms, and were talented fighters. They knew how to use the reach to their advantage, something that they couldn’t leverage however when facing off against each other. They circled each other, feinting, setting up shallow attacks and hoping to goad the other into making a badly executed attack, which neither did. They were both being rather cautious.

It feels like they are playing rather than training,” Fleur commented quietly, as she stood beside her. Ueana had to agree, but no one else was saying anything on it. The other raiders had briefly glanced at them when they had landed, but otherwise seemed to be ignoring them. Ueana wasn’t complaining about that though. No attention was better than negative attention.

The performance went on for about another five minutes before Raeis declared the duel over, Brittie and Kat dismissing their weapons and returning to stand with all of the others. Ueana was almost sure that Kat smirked at her when she saw her, but the expression was gone in an instance.

So glad you could join us,” Raeis said, looking at Ueana and Fleur. She was another one of those riders whose bone armour covered most of her body, tinged with a light lavender, reflecting the nature of her familiar. Her hair was currently the same colour as well, but Ueana was sure that it had been black before. As to which was its natural colour she did not know.

We only just got the message,” Ueana replied, somewhat stiffly. Raeis exuded that kind of commanding presence that made her feel rather uncomfortable, not to mention that Raeis was one of the ones that looked down on her lack of a signature weapon.

You can be up next then Ueana,” Raeis said, motioning for her to move into the sparring area. “As to your opponent,” she then continued, scanning over the riders present, “Armur, I believe it is your turn.”

Fleur momentarily stiffened. Armur was one of the most skilled hatchlings, while she was one of the least. It was a poor match up, unless they were just intending to humiliate her. Looked like today was going to be just like all of the others since their return. Ueana sighed and moved herself into position, tapping her toes against the ground and stretching her leg muscles as she summoned two short swords to herself. She’d fight with the style of weapons that she knew the best, a match up like this definitely not a place to experiment, even if the rules of the clan forbid them from doing any real damage to each other during training sessions.

Armur moved into position opposite her and summoned her weapon, a sword with a long light blueish green blade, intricate vines wrapping themselves around the hilt and pommel. While its blade was about the same width as a longsword, it was longer than a standard one, but not as quite as long as Fleur’s greatsword. Armur wasn’t anything much to look at, much like herself she guessed. Ueana really did wonder if there was anything about herself outside of the deep dragons influence that Coorie actually found attractive. She wondered the same for Fleur as well, but then they’d been a thing before the deep dragons, so there must be something. Right?

Anyway, Armur. She had rough looking blond hair that was tied up into a loose braid, blue eyes and a smattering of freckles on her face. Pale lips, a squat nose that Ueana suspected had been broken at some point before she had awakened, and soft curved cheeks. Of all of the hatchlings, Armur was the most muscular, which when adding in the natural boost to strength that being a rider entailed, meant that she was really strong. Armur was neither curvy nor athletic, her frame more like that of a man, but her large breasts were enough of a reminder that she was still a woman, if you somehow forgot that she was a rider. Her bone armour, grey tinged with green, covered her chest, formed bracers on her forearms and a pair of knee-high heeled boots, and a very short skirt that barely covered much.

Ueana bounced on the spot, blades held loosely in each hand. Her three tails swayed lightly behind her, giving her the sense that she was on the verge of moving. Armur stood still, her body relaxed, the tip of her sword resting lightly on the ground, her eyes looking at Ueana intently.

And... begin,” Raeis said, signalling the start of their bout.

Ueana began to move to her left, trying to circle around Armur as she watched her closely. She’d hadn’t actually seen her fight, so she had no idea what her style was. Armur matched her, her movements slow and deliberate.

Then suddenly Armur was dashing towards her, moving a lot faster than she had thought someone of her build would be able to manage, sword held at shoulder height. Ueana pushed herself into a dash, trying to get herself clear of Armur’s range, just managing to do so as she got within range, her blade deflecting Armur’s follow up swing, the impact jarring her arm. Ueana jumped backwards, then tried dashing in for an attack, only to find that she had dodge out of the way as Armur spun around, the blade whistling through the air just inches from her chest. Ueana bounced back a few meters, trying to put some space between them. Armur was indeed as good as she’d heard.

They resumed circling each other, Ueana eyeing Armur warily. She had no idea if she was even going to be able to get close enough to to even touch her with the speed that Armur could swing her blade. She’d need to off balance her, or find some way of creating an opening, but she wasn’t sure if she’d even be able to manage that. This was indeed going to be a humiliating match, but she was still going to try. She had faced a demon after all, though in that fight the stakes had been a lot higher than a simple training spar. Armur dashed at her again, Ueana all but throwing herself off to the side, recovering in a roll, this time managing to avoid Armur’s blade as she sprung back up, blades at the ready.

Come on! You can do better than that!” That was one of the hatchlings shouting, but Ueana wasn’t sure which one it was.

More circling, this time Ueana tried dashing in for an attack when Armur seemed briefly distracted. Too briefly though, Armur easily parrying her attack as Ueana partially aborted it when she realised that she hadn’t been close enough to take advantage of it. Ueana bounced backwards again, though not as far as she had been.

Something isn’t right. They’re trying to box me in,’ Callisto informed her with a worried tone. Ueana frowned, but she wasn’t in a position to look and see what was happening, with Callisto currently positioned behind her. You didn’t look over your shoulder in a fight.

Armur stopped moving, tensing up as she swapped her sword over to her other hand. Ueana tilted her head and gave her a confused look. Why was she doing that? She was already humiliating her enough as it was. Ueana didn’t know what hand was Armur’s dominant one, so she had no idea if had just been toying with her, or was going to make her look like more of a fool now.

Sorry.” The words were pretty much just mouthed, but with her changes, Ueana heard them loud and clear, a sad expression on Armur’s face.

Ueana stopped still, still looking at Armur confused, when Armur lunged at her again, faster than she had before, energy arcing along her blade. It was obvious that Armur wasn’t holding back any more, and there was no way that she was going to be able to dodge the attack.

This could go so very wrong. Panic set in as Ueana tried dodging to the side anyway, her magic flaring as she reinforced herself as much as possible. Something that usually wasn’t done at this level of training, as it was just that.

She was no where near fast enough. Armur’s blade slammed into her side, pain radiating through her body as she was blasted sideways, tumbling unceremoniously along the ground, and finishing in a just as undignified heap.

What are you trying to do!” Ueana shouted angrily as she picked herself up, ears bent over and tails stretching out behind her, trying her best to ignore the pain.

She’s trying to kill you!’ Callisto exclaimed with a panicked tone, his roar echoing around the training ground.

Tsk. The cretin is resilient.” Madison’s mocking voice echoed around as she and her familiar walked out from the shadows behind Raeis, a twisted grin on her face. “You’re a blight on us all and a harbinger of misfortune. You will die.”

Like hell,” Ueana growled, sounding a lot more confident that she felt, as Armur walked steadily towards her. Her blade still crackled with energy, something that most riders weren’t capable of. It really did cement her as one of the best hatchlings here. Ueana had just enough time to see Fleur flare up, greatsword in hand, before Armur was on her again.

Ueana raised her blades up in front her, deflecting Armur’s sword as she brought it around, the force still enough to push her back, and causing her to stumble. Ueana let herself drop to the ground, rolling out of the way of Armur’s next strike, before she leapt back to her feet and off to the side, again barely avoiding Armur’s blade.

Why are you doing this?” she asked.

Your weapons are weak, your form underutilized,” Armur murmured as she lunged at Ueana again. Ueana brought her blades to bear, hoping to deflect the strike. A false hope, the power of Armur’s strike wrenching one of the blades from her hand, pain spiking down her arm as she lost her balance, Armur’s sword impacting her again moments later and sending her careening across the ground.

At least no blood had been drawn yet. A small mercy. Ueana grimaced darkly to herself as she picked herself up again. Didn’t mean that everything didn’t hurt. Dismissing and recalling her missing blade, she steadied herself as she prepared for Armur’s next attack, draconic roars echoing around the area. They weren’t all happy ones either. Some were getting hurt. She really really hoped that Fleur was alright. Vengeance would be hers if they hurt her as well.

Hurry the %$#@ up!” Sounded like Madison was getting impatient.

Armur slammed into her, the force of the strike yet again ripping the blade out of her hand. Her strength was indeed ridiculous. But Ueana had planned for it this time, her grip weak as she let the blade go, using her and Armur’s momentum against her, her leg impacting with Armur’s shins as she tried to use her tails as counter balance. Armur tumbled past her as Ueana tried to stabilise herself, Armur the first to recover. She’d still been hurt by Armur’s attack, and wouldn’t be able to do that again anytime soon.

Better,” Armur stated quietly, launching herself at Ueana again.

And then the side of the training ground erupted inwards, earth raining down around them all as the entire arena was enveloped in a cloud of dust. Ueana tensed, no longer sure exactly where Armur was.

Stop this insanity now!” The voice was strong and commanding, and would not tolerate any insubordination.

The dust settled to reveal Lady Knight Asher in the middle of the arena, one arm holding Madison up by her throat, the hatchling’s arms and legs bound by columns of earth that had erupted from the ground. Madison’s familiar was pinned against the opposite wall under the mass of Bonebreaker, Asher’s familiar staring at the rest of the familiars with his teeth bared, daring them to even think of trying anything. The entire arena was now a bed of small spikes, all movement having halted, a number of the hatchlings looking rather uncomfortable as they sat on the ground between them. Armer was trapped in a cage of stone that had sprung up around her, a look of relief on her face. Her weapon was already dismissed. The eastern wall of the arena was completely gone, now just a pile of rubble.

Callisto stood defiantly between the two familiars that looked to have been trying to block him in and probably had tried assaulting him, his body wreathed in flames and his talons glistening with blood, deep gouges showing on the flanks of the other two, blood dripping down from them. Lily stood nearby, poised to try and shred anything that got close to her, Fleur standing surrounded by three other riders, flames dancing over her body, her greatsword at the ready. There were some small tears in her skeon, but those around her look to have fared worse. Ueana stood panting, her entire body now aching, her side where Armur had first struck her visibly black and blue.

Coorie landed in the arena with a crash, shattering the spikes around her as dashed over to Ueana, Seashae landing beside Lily. “Are you alright?” she asked, wrapping her arm around Ueana.

Ueana rocked her hand. “Not really. Could be worse.”

You are a stupid child,” Asher growled. “What possessed you to try something like this. There was no way you’d get away with it.”

She’s cursed,” Madison gurgled, struggling for air.

You have no @#$% clue as to what is going on, not to mention it is never okay to try and kill another rider.” Asher released her grip, Madison coughing and taking large gasps of air. “Perhaps that is partially our fault, but you’re toying with things well beyond your league.”

Acting so high and mighty, just because you’re a lattice soul...” Madison sneered.

Stop being so ^%$%$ self centred girl,” Asher retorted. “Stop it with your schemes, and vying for influence. You’re well beyond your limits and it is all petty and insignificant in the grand scheme of things.”

Asher stepped back and looked around at all of the riders. “You think that the power rests with the clans, the guilds and the houses. The gems and lattice souls, and those with excessive wealth. You’re much mistaken. There are much more powerful things out there. Things to be truly fearful of. The Demon King is more than just rumour. But even he pales to the beings and entities that formed and form the very foundations of the world. Now they are active. Then there are those that have been touched by them, and of course there is the Dawn Angel.”

Fairy tales.” Madison spat at the ground.

Only to those who want to remain buried in their ignorance. I’m sure you’ve felt the movements of the Ancients, even if you haven’t recognised it for what it is. After all, the last one was very close, and very recent.” Asher pointedly looked at Ueana. “I have seen and felt it first hand, and watched the mightiest familiars paying respect and bowing to the wishes of the Deep Dragons.”

Delusions of those in power.” Madison spat on the ground again.

No. The truth.” Asher shook her head. “You’re so blind you can’t recognise it when it sits right in front of you, and twist it into something else.”

Ueana.” Ueana froze as Asher called out her name. “The laws of the clan are quite clear. They attempted to take your life. You may take theirs.”

Armur knelt in her cage, eyes closed, head bent down. Madison on the other hand suddenly looked fearful, squirming against her restraints. “You can’t do that. It’s meant to be brought before the council,” she screamed.

Yet again you are wrong. Ueana?”

Ueana was shocked. She was not aware of any such law, but truth be told, she was ignorant of the laws of the clan in the first place. She’d always just listened to what the lady knights had told her, and tried to treat others as she wanted to be treated. She wasn’t actually aware of any circumstances where a rider had to be tried by the council, or worse. Those of the nest had always been friendly to each other, and the crime that plagued the cities had always appeared to be absent amongst the riders.

But perhaps that was just it. It only appeared to be that way.

She shook her head. “No. I will not take their lives. For all that has been done, I don’t believe that they deserve death. Things... have just gotten out of hand.”

She at least can sense real power,” Madison mumbled loudly, a smug look on her face.

Nor do I believe that Armur was involved willingly,” Ueana continued “I would have her cleared without consequence.” Even if she had gone full out. Ueana had no idea how long it was going to take her to heal from all of that, nor the true extent of the damage that she had taken. Not having any skeon had probably made it worse than it could have been.

Armur opened her eyes, a look of shock on her face. A look that was also mirrored on Madison’s.

Are you sure you’re not going to regret that decision? She still tried to kill you, irrespective of motive.’ Callisto didn’t sound questioning, rather, thoughtful. Cautious. Perhaps she would, but that was her decision, what her instinct was telling her.

So be it.” Asher turned to look at the rest of the riders. “Return to your dorms. You will be summoned later this afternoon. Ueana, Fleur, Coorie, you three are to remain here.”

Ueana nodded, walking over to Fleur with Coorie’s help as the other riders mounted their dragons and flew out of the training ground. Fortunately even the two that Callisto had gouged were still capable of flight, though they looked to be in quite a bit of pain. The bulk of the flames over Callisto had receded, just the ones around his horns and the occasional one on his scales remaining.

Did you get wounded at all?’ she asked of her familiar.

No. They weren’t good enough.’

That’s good.’ She smiled to herself. She was rather proud of him. She could feel him beaming back.

Fleur gave her a careful hug before tenderly touching her side. “Are you okay?”

It’s as bad as it looks,” Ueana grimaced, before letting herself fall to the ground, the spikes disappearing around them. She’d had enough of standing for the moment. Yeah, the pain was really starting to kick in.

You?” she asked back.

I’m fine. I think they were more trying to restrain me than kill me, so they got it much worse. Not to mention that they forgot about Lily.” Ueana smiled at that.

Armur’s familiar was still standing off to one side of Matir’s Plate, looking over at Armur with concern in its eyes. It was a lush green colour, hints of brown scattered through its scales. It was about the same size as Callisto, and while Armur was muscular and powerful, her familiar was more lean and agile. A beautiful creature, just like all familiars. Madison’s familiar on the other hand was still squirming underneath Bonebreaker, occasionally trying to snap at the lady knight’s familiar. Unsuccessfully of course.

Tell your familiar to stand down and return to the stables,” Asher instructed Madison. “You’re going to be spending some time in the dungeons till the council is ready.”

Familiar’s aren’t that smart,” Madison answered, rolling her eyes.

You’d be surprised. She’ll understand your intent. She is part of you after all.”

Fine.” Madison sighed. “Ithiar, back to the stables,” she then said lazily.

Good.” Asher stood back, looking over the training ground. “Bonebreaker, let her go. Over here please.”

Bonebreaker gave a low growl and raised himself off the smaller familiar. He looked at Ithiar for a moment, before turning and slowly walking his way towards Asher. Ueana could feel the slight tremor though the ground with each step. There really was no comparison between the familiars of a gem grade rider and a lattice soul one. Even Callisto wouldn’t come up unscathed in a scrap with Asher’s familiar. Hissing, Madison’s familiar stood itself up, shaking its head and stretching its wings. There were a few claw marks down one side, but that was about it, Bonebreaker having restrained the familiar rather than fought with it. Looking over at Madison, Ithiar started walking her way over to her. Her eyes were dark though, filled with hate. Ueana shivered. It was not a look that was right on a familiar.

Even restrained, Madison was back to having the smug grin on her face.

A bone chilling scream echoed around the training ground, Ueana clapping her hands over her ears in pain, as Ithiar suddenly lunged towards her and the others, teeth bared. Magic flared around her as she reinforced herself as much as possible, trying to scramble upwards and to her feet. Her body was screaming in pain, her movements feeling sluggish. There was no way any of them were going to be able to move in time.

And then Ithiar stopped dead still, the arena going deathly silent as the familiar looked towards her rider.

Madison’s face was a mask of shock, blood dribbling out of her mouth. Asher’s greatsword was impaled straight through her chest, bone armour shattered around it.

I told you that familiars understand their riders intent. You had been given mercy, but you chose not to take it.” Asher shook her head, a sad expression on her face. “It shouldn’t have come to this.”

#$%^$ you,” Madison spluttered, the colour quickly fading from her.

Ithiar collapsed to the ground, her body fading and disintegrating into a fine blue mist. Ueana felt tears well up into her eyes, her heart pained. Even with Madison’s crimes, her familiar didn’t deserve that. Part of the riders magic or not, she still felt that they were their own person.

Callisto sent warm feelings back at Ueana, understanding and agreeing, without the need for words.

Asher withdrew her blade, dismissing the earth around Madison. Madison’s body collapsed to the ground in a heap, blood seeping out from under her, staining the ground a dark red.

She was a fool. Right to the very end.”

A bit more of a glimpse into the world of the dragon riders, but as it was for Myne and Velvet, the events surrounding them were anything but normal, and it seems to be the case for Ueana here as well. Once you're involved in something, normality seems to take a back seat.

Madison got what she deserved, but no one should have to go through all of that.

Lattice souls are powerful. I think this is the only the second time that I have portrayed a lattice soul rider in action, the first being Lady Knight Amber in Dawn Weaver, but in comparison Asher appears to be much more powerful (Amber probably should have been, but there were reasons for that, including my own writing experience).

Where does Ueana place in the whole power scale thing? That would indeed be a good question. She has a lot of growing to do. As do Crystal and Rachael (though their whole power level is somewhat complicated now). As to Velvet and Myne...  I probably don't need to say anything on them.

As always, thanks for reading. Comments are always welcome. (Yup, two welcome, but I like how it rolls ^^)

The final chapter of the arc (78 - Trust) will be out in the next few days (though probably tomorrow).

NB: I have officially transitioned to a new file as well, and in my master files have labelled arcs 1-4.5 as volume 1. Arcs 5- will form volume 2, though you won't see any differences here. At least the file will load and save faster for me now ^^

19