16: He’s Strong
1.5k 5 71
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Freaking guards," the {Great Warrior} growled, stomping toward us.

"Stay back," I told Crystal, brandishing my spear. "Hopefully, your spells can do more damage than my spear."

She nodded and I set off toward the beast of a man, triggering [Charge]. He was ready for me, swinging upward instead of from the side. [Battle Sense] told me his second ax was coming in from the right, so I dodged left, [Thrusting] my spear into his arm as I passed.

The {Great Warrior} snarled, spinning around with a speed he didn't have before. He overextended, though, and I ducked under the powerful swing, tilting backward as I did so. My gambeson nearly tipped me over but a quick [Burst] had me standing up straight and jabbing my spear at his armpit. When I began to retreat, his leg shot out and tripped me up.

Falling over myself, I just barely managed to plant my spear into the snow, stopping me from toppling to the ground. My eyes widened as [Battle Sense] picked up that I wouldn't get out in time to dodge his next strike, so I used [Burst] and [Toughen] in quick succession. The ax slashed at my chest before I could get far enough away, but [Toughen] worked as advertised; the blade visibly slowed when the armor projection appeared and I only received a thick cut to my gambeson.

At least the padding is thick, I thought, dodging yet another strike. [Thrust] scored me another thin gash on his arm and in return, he slapped the butt of his ax into my shoulder.

I winced as my shoulder blade cracked at the impact and triggered [Burst] twice to get behind him. I tried to use [Thrust] again to stab the small of his back, but the skill failed to activate and the spearpoint bounced off his skin. Confused, I tried again only for the same thing to happen.

He whirled around to face me, grinning savagely, and lifted his arm to swing. Triggering [Burst] failed the same way [Thrust] did.

My skills have cooldowns!

"Crystal!" I shouted, raising my spear to block the ax blade. "Shoot him now!"

A [Fire Bolt] slammed into the {Great Warrior's} back, making him stumble and drop one of his axes. The distraction gave me enough time to [Burst] around his side and jab my spear twice into his ribs, [Thrust] magically activating on the second poke.

He spun, swinging his remaining ax at me. I stepped around it, poked him twice again - it didn't do much without [Thrust] but it worked anyway - and retreated, throwing one fist back at Crystal. Another [Fire Bolt] flew past me and burst against the invader's chest. He took a few steps back, growling as he looked between me and Crystal.

I put myself between him and Crystal, thinking he might try to charge at her. Instead, he turned and ran off in the snow, leaving us alone.

71