C.3
278 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My status was different. Way different.

I found out when I grew tired from kicking up piles of snow. I'd hoped to find some more encrypted stones so I could put them in my boots. My numb feet begged for warmth, but I couldn't risk slipping the one I already had in my boots; I'd leave my hands unprotected. I bore through it, ignoring the pins and tingles creeping through my toes and the soles of my feet.

Terribly quality boots, I thought, scoffing as I shook some snow off of my leg. These things are NOT made for extended travel.

Of course, they weren't. I doubted my former 'employers' would pay for shoes with soles thicker than my pinky. The first thing I'd do with my money once I reached civilization was investing in some proper footwear, that's for sure. If I was ever going to go back and exact my revenge on that hell hole of a castle, I needed something durable to support me.

Hmm. Going back, huh? That's a new train of thought.

I've been having those a lot lately. No matter how much I despised that place and the people in it - Flake a special exception - something in me kept whispering to go back. Not to take up my duties as a {Guard}, of course. But just do something there. Maybe stake out a heist or something. Convince a bunch of Players to raid it and take every bit of gold that was wrongfully kept from my days of service.

How long was I there for? I thought, squeezing the warm stone. It grew colder, somehow, the mana it had greedily gobbled up fading away. I refilled it slowly, mindful of keeping an eye on my internal energy. Was it days? Months? I can only think of the time in lost lives...And even then, there's no counting how many times I died Before.

A blinking notification drew me toward my UI. Weird. I hadn't done anything worthwhile as of late...


For experimenting with internal energies for the first time, you have gained the class {Mage}! You will now receive +1 Vitality, +2 Perception, +3 Magic every 5 levels.

You have gained the level one {Mage} skills [Mana Sight] and [Magic Missile]!


What?! Status! Status right now!


Name: Crystal

Class: [F] Mage - 1 (0/100)

Experience: -

Stats: Health (100), Stamina (80), Attack (5), Defense (3), Vitality (6), Agility (5), Perception (7), Magic (3)

Mage Skills: [Mana Sight] - 1, [Magic Missile] - 1


Before I could seethe at my loss of progress and missing everything, a flash of movement caught my eye. Snapping my status closed, I tensed and readied my magic - which felt immensely weaker, now that I was drawing from it. I didn't know how much damage [Magic Missile] could do but I hoped with my 3 Magic - preposterous! - I could do a fair bit of harm to a potential attacker.

But it was just some panicked squirrels. They chittered, darting up the snow-adorned trees. Safe upon the barren branches, they screeched down at me, hissing and shaking their bushy tails.

I relaxed my hold on my mana, wondering what could've frightened them so badly. Surely it wasn't me. I stepped toward a tree and the screeching resumed in alarm. They quieted when I retreated. Am I that scary? Ha! If only they knew what I could do with my magic...

That thought put a sour taste in my mouth. I no longer had access to my fire spells, which had been my greatest defense. They hadn't done much against TruckNutz but compared to that beast of man, the squirrels were nothing. Scowling, I flung my arm toward a tree and yelled, "[Magic Missile]!"

A bolt of raw, untamed mana flew from my palm. It struck the thickest part of a branch, snapping it with a loud crack. I jumped back as it came crashing down, tossing up a wave of snow. The squirrels shrieked as they jumped from branch to branch, scaling the tree for safety.

Well, I'll be, I thought, staring at my hands.  [Magic Missile] isn't as weak as I thought it would be...

"It is not smart to yell out the names of an attack," a voice said.

I flinched back, tripping over a tree root and tumbling head over heels into the snow. Spluttering, I flailed in the cold slush, coughing as a lump of snow found its way down my throat. A hand gripped my shoulder and pushed me onto my back.

A shadowy face appeared, unrecognizable as the winter sun shined in my eyeballs. "Are you okay? I know my presence is scary but this is too much, I think."

Blinking, I raised my hand to my face. "Um, what?"

The hooded head tilted to the side. "I asked if you hurt yourself when you fell."

"N-no, I'm...I'm fine."

"That is good," the figure said with a nod, straightening up. "I would not like my first rescue to get hurt on account of me. That would be bad, yes?"

I didn't answer, my attention captured on their...very hairy body. The figure had nothing but a loincloth on, showing off their stark white, hairy limbs and stomach to the world. No, not just hair. Fur.

"Ah! You are admiring my charac-er, my body?" The figure stepped back and puffed out their chest. "You like my fur, yes? Very soft. You want to feel?"

"Em..." Although I wanted to test just how soft this person was, I kept my hands by my side. "Who and what are you?"

The beast clucked their tongue. "How rude! You can't just ask someone what they are. Very insensitive of you."

I narrowed my eyes and raised my fist. "You could be an intelligent monster for all I know."

"And my intelligence does not deter you from trying to kill me?" they said, scoffing. "Are you sure it is me who is the monster you speak of?"

I wavered, thinking their words over. Perhaps the beast was right. I didn't have to get so feisty with the first furry person I'd meet. "So...who are you?"

The figure posed, raising his arms in a triumphant manner. "My name is Jerome and I come to rescue those in need!"

Jerome...Is that a male name? Maybe. I got to my feet, brushing the snow off of my pants and gambeson.  I towered over the furry man, standing a good two or so heads above him. "The only thing I'm in need of," I said, "is a map leading towards civilization."

"Are you not hungry?"

"I-"

A loud rumbling cut me off as sharp pains attacked my stomach. At first, I thought the furry man had attacked me. But, after a moment, I realized the sounds and pain were coming from me.

"...Yes," I muttered.

"Well, you are in luck!" he cried. "Squirrels are the perfect creatures to test my skills!"

6