Chapter 4 – My new name
4.6k 11 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A Name, the last time I heard somebody call out to me by my name were my parents. To them it was a beautiful one but to me it was mostly curse.

Back then people used my name as a cursing spell. They mocked me with it they even turned it into a popular name to tell somebody for example, 'Why are you being so ___' and so on.

I hated it, I hated it, I hated it, I hated it, I hated it, I hated it, I HATED IT!!!

I hope that this time, my name won't become such a curse again.

 

 

 

"Oh, I got, your name will be Shiro." She revealed enthusiastically.

"Uhm… Shiro?", I asked.

"Yeah, I chose that name because of your white skin and hair.", she answered while giggling a little.

Actually, now that we talk about it I do not know how I actually look like, I never saw myself in a mirror since I came to this world. The only thing I knew was that I had claws growing from my fingers now.

"Oh yeah, I guess you've never seen your actual appearance, but don't worry the Village mage might be able to fix that. He knows better about spirits and ghosts than me." She said

Thus, she led me to the village mage, we arrived at a library. In the middle of the library was some kind of mage wearing a red robe, and of course, he was an Elf.

"Oh! If it isn't Iris what brings you here today?" He gently asked "And who's your new friend over there?"

"I came over here because I need you to teach my ghost friend, Shiro about magic and spirits." She answered

'I-I-I'm her friend, nobody ever told me that especially a girl!!!' I screamed within my mind while blushing a little.

"So… your name is Shiro right, from what I can tell you're a ghost normally ghosts should be able to manipulate Mana the moment they become one." He murmured.

"Yeah the thing is I never actually felt mana before."

"Really? Well does your status tell you anything about your race?"

"It tells me that I'm a Ghost."

"Hmm, this might mean that you don't have an aptitude for any kind of magic or you never used it before, fine then I'll teach you." He said with a smile

After that, he explained to me a little more about spirits.

When somebody dies, their spirits leave the body if the person who just died had many regrets it stays a while, but if they have burning feelings of hatred they might become a ghost right away.

The Mage told me that I might be a special case because I didn't remember anything form when I died.(Lies) When somebody becomes a ghost depending on what attribute they had used before dying they become an Attribute Ghost like: 'Flame Ghost', 'Water Ghost’ and so on.

During the explanation, Iris fell asleep, and the mage was starting to get tired as well.

"I think we should leave the Magic explanation for tomorrow.", the mage said while yawning a little.

"Yeah I think so too.", I said because my Mana was running low.

After that, we carelessly fell asleep in the library.

 

 

 

When I woke up, he taught me more about magic. First off, magic lies within every living being its kind of like a life force, if it runs out you have to replenish it by sleeping or drawing it from the atmosphere.

Today I'm going to learn the Skill 'Mana Control'. So that I can learn Magic and other basic things.

At first, I thought it was going to be easy but it's really hard!!!

"No, no, no, no it's not like that try absorbing Mana from the atmosphere or use your own Mana." He said

"Easy for you to say, I don't even know how Mana feels like!!!", I complained while trying to apparently draw Mana from the atmosphere. "Can't you make me feel Mana or something?!"

We were in training grounds, it's used for archery and Magic practice.

"Alright, maybe you just have to feel it." The Village Mage said with an annoyed look. We've been here for 2 hours now and we were learning magic. "Stand still. I'm going to transfer some mana to you, and make sure to not forget the feeling."

He extended his hand towards me. It took me a couple of seconds to feel the Mana coursing through my body. It felt as if it was heat coursing through my body or something similar it's not making me sweat or anything.

"Wow, so this is how Mana feels like." I said surprised by the sudden heat coursing through my body. "Okay, now concentrate on that feeling and try to move it in any way." The village Mage said

'Okay, now it's time to see whether or not I can manipulate Mana'

I concentrated on the feeling but nothing happened. The feeling soon disappeared and I still couldn’t catch a gasp on it.

“Damn it, I couldn’t do it” I muttered together with a sigh of disappointment.

“Don’t worry you’ll soon enough be able to manipulate Mana. Till then stay here in the Village.”

“Really? Thank you.”

“Don’t worry. Oh Yeah, I guess Iris hasn’t shown you around the village, has she? Seriously that girl.” He said while frowning.

Later on he showed me around the Village.

“As you’ve seen the Area, we were training on is the Training grounds. In the Training grounds we train Magic and archery. The Library you were before is the Magic Library, I like the other library we have, but this one is just about Magic related books and the like. A couple of moments ago you were on the Village Chief’s house. Now I’m going to show you some other Buildings.” He explained

The Village wasn't too big nor too small, you could say it was average. This Village could hold one thousand people or more. The population here is one hundred percent just Elves, and they look mostly around 12 to 20 Years old and of course there are some who are actually still children too.

As he explained more about the Village, I noticed some people speaking to other spirits around me.

"Can every Elf see spirits?" I asked curiously.

"Well our Village has a natural ability to, however most Elves don't. They need to have an aptitude for it. That's also one of the reasons they call us Spirit People. Because normal humans cannot see spirits, they have to use magic items or be born with an aptitude for it and to acquire the job for it." He explained

"Is that so?" I wondered.

 After walking for a while, I suddenly realized something

"How come there are so many Spirits here it's like crazy. It took me around almost a whole week just to get here." I asked

"Well, that's because we invite them in. We rely on Spirits for Intel and magic.”, he answered my question.

We continued our small tour through the village, until we arrived back at the Library and there we found Iris reading some books.

"There you are. I've been looking for you guys." She said

"We are sorry for worrying you. I was just showing Shiro around the village." The Village mage said with a tint of blush on his cheeks.

'So, he's into her. Huh… ' I deducted from his expression.

Back on earth I had the ability to tell people's emotions just by looking. However, I can’t figure out what people think about me though. Mostly because I watched a ton of anime and watched people from the sidelines… Yeah that is not depressing at all!

Iris looked at me with a suspicious glance, so I simple just nodded and then she let out a small sigh.

“Fine, I’ll believe you, but next time tell me as well.” Iris said while looking at the Village Mage.

“How, little does she trust you? It’s almost shocking” I said

“Well uhh…” He tried to say something, but Iris jumped in and said “The reason why I don’t trust him it’s because he always breaks his promises. Like when you promised to me that you wouldn’t leave the village into the evil spirit area, and what did you do?”

“I-i-I went there anyway…”

“SEE!!!”, Iris angrily shouted “How do you expect me to believe you, and not just that one, you also lied to me when you said you wouldn’t sneak off to my parents private archives.”

“Pfft… HAHAHAHA” I laughed at the top of my lungs.

“Hey, it’s not funny you know. I was young back then.” He tried coming up with an excuse.

“Whatever you say. So anyway, why were you waiting for us?” I asked.

“Oh yeah, I met my father this afternoon and I told him about you Shiro and I asked him whether or not I could invite you over to dinner and he said yes.”

“Okay, first off why did you go through the trouble of inviting me to dinner and second of all I can’t even eat.” I said with a slight hint of disappointment in myself.

“The answer to the first question it’s that I wanted to introduce you to my family and to the second one well… you don’t have exactly to eat anything it’s just the introduction part that’s important.” She answered.

I guess that ever since I’ve become a spirit I didn’t exactly feel the necessity to eat anything.

“Okay, thank you for inviting me.” I said thanking her for her invitation.

“Well I guess now it’s time for me to make my leave. Have a nice evening Shiro and Iris.”, the Village Mage said turning around and making his leave.

“Fine, see you later.” Iris said while I waved at him.

We both went to Iris’s house, during the way I looked at the sky.

‘This place really isn’t earth.’, I thought and looked at the sky to realize that the sky looked like it had more color to it. It looked beautiful it was like looking at a painting. I’ve been almost two weeks on this world, and I haven’t seen the night sky yet because of the fog.

I hope that my life in this world will be way more enjoyable than my last one.

 

 

 

Skill Explanation: ‘Spirit Form’

A skill that allows your spirit body to have a half materialized form. It gives your Spirit a shape from your previous self but it also depends on your mana and Magic attribute. For example, if you are a ghost depending on what attribute ghost you are it also changes your appearance. If you were a human and your attribute was fire you would look like a human half on fire or with flames around you.

94