Chapter 42 – The alchemist begs for forgiveness
1.4k 6 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!!!”, the moment we entered the guild, we were greeted by a weird girl doing a dogeza right in front of us.

‘Who is this?’, we just came back from an exhausting quest, and I still needed to do something after this, I couldn’t care less about what would be in front of me right now.

“It’s alright, I forgive you. Now could you get out of the way please?”, I answered her with empty answers and ignored her.

“YOU DO?!”, the girl looked at me with tear in her eyes and then bowed once again. “NOOO!!!! THIS ISN’T ENOUGH! I NEED TO REPAY YOU SOMEHOW!!!”, the girl persisted even further.

She was wearing a robe and some glasses, if I had to guess then she would be a mage or an alchemist.

The guild receptionist walked up to me and asked. “How did the quest go?”, she asked like nothing was happening with her professional business smile.

“We were able to get the flowers, and we brought some materials we would like to sell.”, I told the receptionist showing a bag full of flowers glowing like the moonlight. 

The girl who was in a dogeza position, suddenly sprung up and grabbed the bag of flowers. “NO WAY!!! YOU GOT ‘EM??!?”, the weird girls eyes glowed dazzlingly as if she was looking at a bunch of gold right in front of her.

“Uhm, could you tell us who she is?”, Alice came from behind me and asked looking at the guild receptionist. “That’s the person who put up the quest.”, 

I looked at the weird girl admiring the flowers. “That makes a lot more sense now.”, I realize why she was apologizing.

“THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!”, our quest giver ran towards me and embraced me. “Hey, what the hell! Get off!”, I tried ripping her off from me, but she didn’t move a budge.

‘How high is this girls strength stat?!’, I could feel her face burying into my stomach, it wasn’t hurting me but it was annoying.

The girl released her arms from me, she breathed in and out preparing herself to speak. “Wait a minute, how did you survive the monster inside the cave? Did you run just like me???”, the quest giver suddenly turned suspicious.

“Oh, I killed him.”, I answered nonchalantly without a single tinge of nervousness. I showed them the ‘materials’ that I could extract from the monster. “I brought what ‘remains’ of him you could say.”,

The receptionist froze still and slowly inspected the frozen remains from the ‘Frost Giant’ and made a shocked expression. “You killed a B ranked monster all by yourself even though you’re a F classes adventurer!”

Every single adventurer including guild employees moved their gazes towards me and the receptionist who spoke forbidden words in my language.

‘Why the hell would you say it out loud!?!?’, I felt uncomfortable by all the gazes towards me.

Here is the ranking in a nutshell. The ranks go from F rank up to SSS rank for monsters while for adventurers it’s classes. F ranked missions are as easy as picking up flowers, or defeating newborn slimes that cannot even disintegrate the smallest butterfly. E ranked are for fighting monsters like normal goblins or wild wolves that could become a threat. D ranked missions are for monsters that if they formed a group could possibly destroy a whole village. C ranked monsters are capable of destroying villages, like Orcs or normal giants. B ranked monsters are able to destroy towns if in groups until then alone they are capable to do a lot of destruction up to a meaningful level. A ranked monsters are able to destroy towns effortlessly. S ranked are capable of of destroying countries if in large groups. SS ranked are known for being able to destroy a whole kingdom in their own if not effortlessly. SSS ranked are world tier dangerous.

The frost giant I defeated was ranked B rank due to its hard skin that makes it hard to break through. And it’s frost breath could easily turn someone to ice immediately, only if adventurers were in large groups could possibly defeat him.

“Hey, is it true?”, an adventurer asked the other and so on continued everyone continued gossiping. 

“I-I’m sorry!”, the receptionist apologized. She wasn’t supposed to reveal information about adventurers our into the public.

“No it’s no problem, I just want to sell the materials, receive my reward and leave.”, I brushed it aside, what was done was done and there was nothing you could do to change it.

“Congratulations on becoming the center of attentions Shiro.”, Alice teases me and I just shrugged there and gave in the materials over to the receptionist.

Last time I defeated a huge monster and it was a dragon, but a certain slime devoured it before I could we could sell the materials.

The quest giver clapped her hands and gazed into my eyes. “Alright! Miss receptionist could you please make a room so that we could privately talk?”, the girl asked the receptionist with the materials from the ‘Frost Giant’ in her hands and she nodded.

 

 

 

“… so what did you want to talk about?”, I asked the alchemist sitting cross legged on top of a couch in the private room that the receptionist had lent us.

“Umu, I am willing to pay you ten times the amount of money I promised.”, she started off by telling us what her deal was.

“Because of my forgetfulness, I almost put all of your lives in danger.”, the alchemist apologized and took out a huge bag filled with silver coins. “I HOPE THIS IS ENOUGH TO REPAY YOU!!!”,

“No, you don’t have to.”, Alice who was also within the room was troubled by the amount of money presented in front of our line of sight.

“Hell no! We need the money. I’ll gladly accept your offer.”, I unhesitatingly took the bag of money from her hands.

“Y-you… degenerate….”, Alice muttered, disgusted by my actions. 

‘That was the nicest thing someone’s ever said to me. Thank you.’, I joked inside my mind while I played around with the money.

The currency here was almost the same worth as Dawnwell’s, in Zeltram the currency is also measured by copper up to Platinum coins. But they call them Zelts for fancy, I think… 

One copper coin is equivalent to… well one ‘Zelt’. One silver coin is equivalent to ten ‘Zelts’. One gold coin is equivalent to one thousand ‘Zelts’. One platinum coin is equivalent to one hundred thousand ‘Zelts’. If you do the math than you know how many copper coins you need to reach a silver coin.

The Inn rooms all together Willow rented costed thirty Zelts per night, the quest was going to give us ten twenty Zelts. Now that the amount was times ten bigger we can now stay here for six nights and they include breakfast as well.

And now including the money I received from selling the ‘Frost Giant’, which was fifty silver coins, I was now able to afford two weeks and a couple of days. That is if I was planning to stay here for that amount of time.

“Hmm… I still don’t feel satisfied. Not just did I put your lives at stake, you also brought more than the amount asked for…. ALRIGHT! I HAVE AN IDEA!”, the alchemist who’s generosity seemed to have no bounds to me.

“Shiro was it? Come over to my house tomorrow, I’ll give you the rest of what I owe you there.”, the alchemist took out a small piece of paper and wrote down some sort of map directing to her house and left the room.

“Hmm, Shiro are you alright?”, Alice who was looking at me observing the money on my hands asked. “Yeah, I’m alright. Could you do something for me Alice?”, 

“Huh, what is it?”, she asked what I wanted to request of her. “Go back to the Inn and check on Athena and Azure, also bring the money with you to prolong the nights we’re staying, don’t spend everything just keep it for one more week..”, I requested a lot of her (in my perspective).

“Aren’t you coming back with me… uhm, I mean it’s not like I need you to come with me anyway. Humph!”, Alice blushed denying the thought of needing me.

“I’m not going because there’s something I still have to do in the guild.”, I told her. “But the sun will be setting in a couple of hours.”, Alice looked outside the window where the yellow colored rays of light reached into the room.

“Don’t worry, I have at the very least three more hours to make it back. Okay.”, I stood up from the chair I was sitting on and stretched my body once again. “Don’t worry, I still have enough mana to run on.”, I reassured her once more and she understood that making me go back was pointless.

“Please come back before she wakes up, I think it would sadden her if you would not be there.”, Alice left the room and I stood there dumbfounded by her words.

 

 

 

There were three reasons why I didn’t go back yet, one I wanted to experiment ‘Liquid Manipulation’. I got lucky that I was able to corrupt the mana back in the ice cave, the exact moment I was able to find an opening I found out I could manipulate the corrupted water attribute mana. 

I used that to stop the movement of the molecules in the atmosphere and freeze the ‘Frost Giant’. 

Had I wanted to corrupt normal water it would’ve turned it into a different substance instead of turning it manipulatable. It was the same way I made the curse that afflicted on the king, it was actually supposed to be a healing spell I tried to make but it ended up doing more damage than good.

The second reason was because I needed more money, in the case that something goes wrong. We can live in an Inn apartment for only two weeks and a couple of days, for us to be able to do more than just wait for the deadline I thought I’d get more money for us to get other essentials including food for travel.

The third reason is… well it’s actually a surprise I’d like to keep to myself.

I needed to spend my time preciously, it’s only been one day since I woke up but two weeks had passed while I was asleep and I didn’t forget about what I came here to do.

Iris’s twin sisters Lara and Luna were sold as slaves by some of the mercenaries that went against the orders of the king to ‘kill’ them all. 

Despite me not showing much concern or not rushing a lot more is because I have to think this logically, I have to first find out about their whereabouts and then act accordingly.

If I went around asking where I could buy slaves they would think I’m a criminal or at the very least they would think I’m some sort of lowlife.

As of right now, I have to take care of the others. Willow doesn’t have the requirements to make swords nor sell them, Athena is asleep and Alice already helped me enough for today. All I can do for the twins is hope… that they are alright.

“Uhm, sir could you please step out of the way… you’re blocking the way to the quests”, I heard a voice that snapped me back to reality.

I just realized I was standing in front of the bulletin filled with quests, and some adventures were bothered by it. 

“Oh, I’m sorry…”, I apologized to the adventurer… or rather adventurers party that was right behind me. “Wait a minute, I recognize you! You’re the F classed adventurers that defeated a ‘Frost Giant’ all by himself!”, a girl who was part of the party exclaimed.

‘News spread wider than what I thought.’, the news spread like wildfire, it was almost inconceivable how fast it was.

“REALLY?! Amazing!”, the one who looked like the party leader was astonished so to say.

From what I could say the party consisted of two girls and two guys. The party leader is a human, he had a sword hanging from his belt and leather armor covering his whole body, if I had to guess then there would be a chainmail beneath everything.

The other guy was and Elf, or at the very least looks like it, he has shorter ears than most of them so I think he’s an half-elf. He has a small dagger around his belt and a bow hanging on his back.

The girl who spoke about about my accomplishment, was a Demi-human, she has long blond hair and fox ears. She was wearing some sort of glove around on her arms.

And the last girl was human, she was wearing a small robe that covered her whole body. On her hands was a staff with some magic crystals placed on them in some sort of pattern. 

“Hey! I have a suggestion, would you like to join our party?”, the party leader asked me. “I’m not sure… I’m F class… I’m sure you’ll find someone more useful than me…”, I told them.

‘Damn it! It’s hard speaking to random people, how can I speak so fluently with Alice and everyone else?’, I felt my heart beat rapidly.

“It’s not a problem if you’re F class, after all we’re a bunch of beginners ourselves. Also…”, the party leader moved his gaze towards the bulletin. “We were actually searching fro someone to temporarily join our party for one quest.”, 

“What about your party members… do they agree?”, I asked the opinion of the others. “We don’t mind, all of us agreed on finding a fifth party member no matter what race.”, the elf spoke for the rest of them and they nodded as well in agreement.

“Fine, I’ll be… in your c-care.”, I gave in to their temptations.


It’s normal to read novels on your phone, but it’s weird writing them on your PHONE! I wasn’t able to double check this chapter, but here it is.

29