Chapter12- Pretty Blue Flowers
66 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jaylin’s voice nearly seemed to freeze the atmosphere. It suited his iceberg personality but certainly not his face.
As they all stared at him, Ren finally spoke up.
“What’s the magic presence from, Jaylin?”

Jaylin shrugged.

The three were dumbfounded yet again.
He’s obviously lying, why do I feel like he’s telling the truth?!

Jaylin just had that face. That sort of...innocent teenager face.

Exilis: CoUgH #2

His face was totally misleading when it came to his personality. Even when he told a half-assed lie it would seem like he’s just soft spoken. Many immortals felt the consequences of believing in his innocent face. In fact, Jaylin had taught many people the valuable lesson of: Some people don’t have to do anything to make a good impression.

The three were frozen. His voice was so cold but his face...really makes one want to pinch his cheeks. 

“I have a suggestion.”
It was Rodrick. He regained his composure a long time ago, but his feet just didn’t seem to want to let him go anywhere near that kid. Rodrick clenched his trembling fists and relayed his idea to the others. They would register Jaylin for a general I.D with a made up last name.
After giving him a last name and giving him the I.D card, if he was lying about having a last name, it wouldn’t matter as he’d have to use the I.D with the new last name. The idea was reasonable, and gained the other three’s approval.

Rodrick knew someone from the High Magicians Tower’s Logistics Division1 Long title but ok and was able to get a general I.D without Jaylin present. They didn’t want to risk him escaping in the slightest so they got Amiya to keep guard while they were gone.

...

Even after all of this, none of them seemed to remember that this was originally Jaylin’s suggestion.

 


Exilis took a deep breath. Jaylin finally released him from the scabbard after Ren led him to a guest room in the B-Cadre’s living quarters. The living quarters were a hallway carved from stone, with circular wall lights above every door. The first few doors were offices, but after a short walk they reached the rooms. Every room was the same. Two bunk beds on each side and a small dresser straight across from the door. The B-Cadre was losing power recently so most of the rooms were empty.
Ren brought him to an empty room with two sets of clothing sitting on the dresser.

“The ones on the left are the clothes for the monthly trainee exam. It’s in a few days, don’t feel too much pressure. You don’t have to be the best on your first run. Tell Amiya if you need anything.”

At the thought of that weirdo, Exilis didn’t dare speak. Jaylin nodded at Ren as he closed the door, leaving Jaylin alone in the room.

Ren stepped out of the room and was met with Amiya, who looked like he wanted to tell him something.
“What is it Amiya?”

“Ren. You need to be careful around that kid.”

Ren sighed. “Amiya didn’t we already talk about this? The kid seems harmless. Maybe if we gain his trust he’ll tell us about that magical presence, but for now there’s nothing we can do about it. I appreciate the warni-”

“That’s not it Ren. Well, it’s worrying but- that’s not what I mean. Just let me show you.”

Amiya pulled one of his daggers from his belt. His daggers were all identical, each with a dark brown grip wrapped around the base. He placed one lightly against his outstretched forearm and immediately a thin line of red formed, a few drops of blood sliding down his arm.

“Amiya! What the-”

“Ren. You made the seal on these yourself. You know how sharp they are.”

“Exactly! so why the hell did ya have to show me again?!”

Amiya paused. That was a good point. They both stared at each other momentarily, as the soft ‘drip, drip’ of Amiya’s blood hitting the floor echoed through the hall. Amiya put his dagger back in its sheath and brought a fist to his lips, clearing his throat awkwardly.
Well. Earlier when I attacked him, I stopped just before trying to kill him, but the dagger was still pressing against his neck. I would think it would at least leave a sizable gash, but nothing happened. He was fine.”

Ren looked shocked. The seal he placed on Amiya’s daggers would allow them to cut through anything. The seal wouldn’t do anything if the person or thing Amiya attacked was stronger than the seal itself.

“That kid. Jaylin was it? He’s got more secrets than he lets on. Be careful.”

Ren hesitated, but nodded.
“I know this is serious, but technically he doesn’t ‘let on’ anything.”

“...”

Jaylin stopped listening at that point. Turning his attention to the dresser, he stared at the two pairs of clothes with curiosity. The one on the left was a black vest and white dresshirt with french double cuffs to go underneath. placed beneath it and meant to wear atop it was a dark red blazer with sizable coattails, a crossed out diamond adorned on the front. The sleeves were simple, black cuffs on the ends. There was a pair of dark trousers, some black boots that looked a lot like Amiya’s, and a pair of gloves. This was the attire for the trainee exam. The other pile of clothing was a simple black dress shirt and some form fitting gray jeans.
While he thought the clothing was quite intricate, Jaylin also had no idea how to put it on. He slipped out of his robe, leaving the upper half hanging down from his waist. The shirt was pretty easy, though he had some trouble with the buttons. It was a tad bit large for his thin stature, the hem reaching past his waist and the sleeves going past his wrists even when he rolled them up. Overall, nothing very difficult.

But the pants... Jaylin stared at the slim gray jeans.

I don’t think these will fit.

...How in the gods did humans wear such small clothing?

Holding up the jeans, Jaylin sighed lightly.

 


Jaylin laid down like a starfish on one of the bunk beds, feeling like his legs would lose circulation at any second. He stood up stiffly, trying to bend his legs.

I can barely move...

At least you look nice.
Exilis said flatly.

Nice? I look like a emo stick-

They were interrupted by Amiya, who burst into the room.

Jaylin stopped trying to stretch his legs and stared at the doorway, where Amiya was frantically looking around for any sign of Exilis. Well, he didn’t know it was Exilis that he was looking for. After finding nothing, Amiya hesitantly closed the door, never taking his eyes off of Jaylin until the door was entirely shut.

Jaylin stood silently for a moment before he snapped his fingers, forming a shield of mana to stop Exilis’ magic presence from getting out.

Σ(T□T) you could do that the whole time?!

I forgot.

You fucke-

Ah yes. What was that you were saying earlier? ‘I swear I killed them all’, was it?

...oh...that...well.

Yes?

It was a long time ago.

What exactly was it, Exilis?

Exilis shivered. After a light sigh, he continued.
 I’ll just give you my memory of it...

That seems like a waste of time, why don’t you just summarize-


 

 

*Flashback start*

 

 

Exilis’ sense mist floated around the man who held his body. He was an old bearded man wearing an expensive patterned robe. A few days ago the old man and an excavation team found a tomb filled with treasures. The man took the only sword out of the countless treasures in that room as payment. The Chief Excavator was curious about the sword, but at the end of the day, it was just an ordinary looking sword. So, he let the man take it. Exilis watched as Jaylin’s stuff was gradually removed from his previously filled treasure room.

Ha! They even took the pine cone!

No, he wasn’t just watching, he was laughing hysterically.
Though he did not enjoy being held by someone so much weaker than him, he was bored out of his mind in that cave. He didn’t plan on staying here for long, he was a cautious person. He wouldn’t risk being trapped just in case they did have a way to do so. Exilis’ sense mist returned to the sword. The old man that was inspecting the scabbard suddenly saw the glowing blue color of a magic circle as the anti magic shield he got an apprentice magician to cast on the sword, shattered.

“What the-”

Exilis used a density alteration spell to make himself as light as air and an acceleration spell. Although it pained him to use mana, the combination of the two was a lot less costly than a flight spell. The old man felt the sword fly out of his grasp. He was momentarily shocked as he shouted.
“Quick grab it! It’s a sentient object!”

All the excavators and apprentices all tried to grab it as soon as they understood what was happening. Exilis simply flew away from their grasp as he sneered. 
Sentient object?! I’m smarter than you!

Everyone could only stare blankly as the sword sped off into the distance. 
The old man grit his teeth angrily.
“Dammit! Chase after it!”


Exilis flew through the trees, finally arriving at a small village. He set himself on a large rock to take a rest. Though he didn’t get tired as a sword, it would get uncomfortable being stuck inside a sword for too long, he used to be able to handle it, but as his sense mist got larger, and he got used to being free to move around, he couldn’t stay in there for very long. Also...

Exilis put away the thought with a sigh, and continued into the village.

He flew off of the rock with a strange air of solemnity, casting a concealment spell and sneaking into the village. 

A sheathed sword flew around the little town, his sense mist looking around at the children skipping down the road and humble shopkeepers selling their wares. Exilis exhaled happily. No matter how distorted the outside world became, this place would never disappoint him. 

Exilis flew over to a small mucky pond. Most places would view it was a eyesore, but to this village, it was their favorite scenery. Exilis sat there on the bench.  Or, well, placed himself there. The people walked by, sat down for a while, then left. No one stayed for long.

And no one noticed the invisible sword sitting next to them either.

Suddenly it was dark, and Exilis realized he lost track of time. He looked around, nothing except the dead grass and mucky pond near him.

Huh. Well, what now.

As he was pondering this question, a plump little girl wearing a light blue dress walked over to him. Her light brown curls bounced as she skipped over with her little empty flower basket. Her squinty eyes seemed to be looking in his direction, so Exilis turned his sense mist behind him, wondering what she was looking at.

There was nothing.
He turned back, shocked, and was faced with the young girl standing right next to him.

“Excuse me, Mr. Sword.”

?!?!
Startled, Exilis reflexively used a flight spell and hovered away. As he inwardly scolded himself for wasting mana, the young girl exclaimed.
“Mr. Sword can fly! Cool!”

Exilis stared at the little girl giggling in amazement, blankly.
This girl...really lacks caution...

“Mr. Sword, could you please help me find auntie Mei? Pretty please?”

Exilis glanced over at a black-haired young adult woman, who he could hear faintly calling out to someone named ‘Sami’ in the far distance.
Ah. She’s lost.

Though, Exilis was still curious about why she could see him, he decided it was his responsibility as an elder to lead her back to her aunt. He silently hovered over the little girl, who he assumed was Sami, toward the yelling voice.

“Ah? Do you want me to follow you Mr. Sword? Hehe! Yay! I knew you’d help!”
Sami clutched her flower basket as she chased after him. Exilis was hovering towards this ‘aunt Mei’ when his curiosity got the best of him and he couldn’t help but ask.
“Your name is Sami right? How can you see me?”

She gasped.
“Mr. Sword knows my name! That’s so cool! What did you ask again?”

“...I asked you how you could see me.”

“Oh. Am I not supposed to see you?”

“No I mean-” Exilis sighed.
He felt the familiar sense of frustration he felt when he talked with Jaylin. 
“It’s not bad, I just want to know how you did it.”

Sami pinched her chin with a thoughtful look
“there is a lot of magic dust around Mr. Sword.” 

“Magic dust?”
Although Exilis had a guess, he still asked.

“Yeah! Magic dust is almost everywhere! There’s a lot around you.”

Mana perhaps? Is she talking about my magical presence?

“The magic dust is really pretty, but I don’t see very much around this place. When I saw a lot over there, and I went over to see but then Auntie Mei disappeared. She’s so clumsy some ti-”
Sami ran into a fence post.

“Ouch!”
She crouched down, trembling in pain as she buried her nose in her arms.

Exilis hovered next to her.
“How did you not see it? And you called your aunt clumsy? Silly girl.”

The girl slowly broke into giggles as he chided in a soft tone. Still, crouched, she turned at stared at him, or rather, at his sense mist. Her soft hair bounced lightly and Exilis realized something about her previously squinted eyes. They didn’t move in the slightest. They like looked completely ordinary, hazel eyes, but...there was something off about them.

”I can’t see, Mr. Sword.”

She’s...blind?

“Oh...Sorry.”

“It’s fine!”
She jumped up with a smile.
“I can still see magic dust.”

“It’s called mana.”
Exilis said softly.

“Ma-na? Hm. Magic dust sounds cooler.”

“...yeah.”

Exilis continued floating onward as she followed him.

“So...Mr. Sword?”

Exilis’ sense mist had been looking back at her to make sure she didn’t run into anything again. He glanced at the flower basket she held up to him.

“Did I get any pretty flowers?”

Not seeing anything wrong with the question, Exilis responded.
“It’s just grass.”

“Oh.”
She lowered her head, looking sad.

“Ah, I’m sorry.”

she snickered softly, back to her peppy mood in a split second.
“Hehe, Auntie Mei always pretends that my flowers are pretty, but I know they’re not.”

“...” 

“Hey, do you know how hard it is to find flowers when you can’t see!? There are barely any pretty flowers around here. There were lots where I used to live! Actually-...”
Sami continued on about how much effort she put into finding her flowers.

Exilis stared at the chubby young girl, clamoring about what she’d give for just one pretty flower. He sighed helplessly.

Sami stopped her talking and looked towards him.

“Is something wrong Mr. Sword?”

Exilis used some mana for once, and beautiful blue flowers of different kinds sprouted in her basket. A small wreath of them formed on her head. They were created from mana, so she could see them. She gasped in shock and pulled the basket towards her face staring at it closely as if she was afraid it would disappear. The wreath fell down to her nose as she went cross eyed while staring at the new assortment of pretty blue flowers.

“Wow! It’s so pretty! Thank you Mr. Sword!”

Staring at her as she spun around, her light blue dress matching well with the dark blue flowers filling her basket and decorating her soft curls. 
She giggled in delight and Exilis felt his heart soften.

The girl skipped joyfully through the dark streets of the small village following the invisible floating sword leading her. Sami could hear Auntie Mei up ahead, and felt she didn’t want the journey to end so soon. She spoke up trying to make conversation, and stall their walking.

“Mr. Sword, you would make a good dad!”

Exilis stopped moving entirely and was silent for a very long moment.
“You really think so?”

Sami paused, a little shocked, she hadn’t expect him to react so strongly. After a while she broke out into a grin.
“Yeah! You’re super nice!”
 
Sami couldn’t tell, but Exilis was currently smiling like a fool. He felt an impulse to do something he would normally never even consider, yet seemed to be doing a lot today.

Sami’s eyes widened uncontrollably as the clear view of a kneeling man entered her usually nonexistent vision. For a moment it felt like she could see everything. The darkness didn’t let her see much, but it was still the brightest scenery she had ever seen in her life.

Her eyes wanted to dart in all directions and take in the colors, but there was something attracting her attention.

There was a man. His thick dark brown hair flowed in the wind and his bright green eyes looked at her kindly. A soft smile lay on his lips. 

His warm hand rubbed her head softly, the words ‘silly girl’ drifting off into the cool night air.

“Mr-Mr. Sword?”

The man scattered into beautiful blue particles before she could register what was happening.

The vision she had wanted so desperately for so long disappeared, like it was never there in the first place. Strangely, she didn’t feel anything about this. 
“Mr. Sword?”
She touched her head dazedly, feeling the residual warmth from his palm.
“Where did you go?”
Was it... just a dream?

“Miss Sami!”

Auntie Mei pulled Sami into her arms as Sami was still looking in the direction all the magic dust particles went.

“Ah! Auntie Mei?” 

Auntie Mei, a young adult with straight black hair, pressed Sami to her chest, taking big breaths of relief.
“Thank goodness you’re okay.”

Mei let Sami go and stared curiously at the usually happy girl who had hints of melancholy in her expression.
“Is something wrong- Ah? Where did you get these flowers from?”

Sami looked upwards and saw the shimmering blue flowers atop her head.
Mr. Sword...I saw him...He’s not just a dream!
She adjusted the wreath on top of her head and turned to Auntie Mei with a smile.

“Mr. Sword gave them to me!”

...

 

“huh?”

 

 

 

 

2