Chapter 8:Family Issues(1)
133 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Moira begins to ignore me, instead choosing to focus on the golem in front of him. He grabs a collection of grey gem balls connected by a long golden string from the slot on its chest. His eyes shine and those familiar blue veins appear on his hand. He begins to play with them, eventually placing one on the top of his right hand. The robe he's wearing begins to grow and tighten, wrapping every ball he places on his body.

The shining veins on his body begin to spread onto the gems. He begins to walk forward, the golem copying his movements. He continued to walk, the golem falling forward after twelve steps.

After staring for a bit he moves back to the golem, picking it up and placing it on the transformed table. He taps the gem on its chest, causing it to open up. The sound of gears turning and wood creaking fills the area as various glowing lines appear on the golem's body. Its arms, legs, waist, chest, and stomach open up revealing several metal cogs and strings, all connected by a golden metal frame shaped like a skeleton.

[Moira: Maybe if I increase the purity of the gold used to make the supporting frame and command linking system the reaction time and precision will increase. There is still the issue of creating protection for the joints and transmission links.]

Moi walks to the tall box by the entrance, tapping it and asking for his tools. The floor begins to creak, the largest of the many stone tiles spread across the floor rising, exposing a large cabinet full of strange tools.

[Moira: Would you like to help?]

[Richard: Are you sure? I don't know anything about golems.]

[Moira: A fresh perspective is always good, besides I find you interesting. I would like to see how you would respond to the machinery that makes modern golem making possible.]

[Richard: I'll just look then.]

The table once again changes shape, changing into a horizontal position. I move to the golem taking another look at its insides. There are several small gemstones inside of it, each one is wrapped in and connected by golden strings and ropes. The inside reminds of a clock but it also reminds me somewhat of a ventriloquist doll with the many strings in its chest.

[Moira: Those gems are golem cores. Each one has a set of commands relaid through the gold strands spread across its body. The various gears and pulls act as support, allowing high movement functions at a relatively low cost. Can you tell me how this compares to the golems in the immortal kingdom?]

  I don't know what to say. While spending that time burying bodies I did run across a few intact Golems. Is that what I should call the golems? Anyways the golems looked just like normal people, it was when I found one broken in half that I noticed that all the people there are made of wood. No bones, no skin, no organs, just a single small core where their heart is supposed to be and that's it.

[Richard: I don't know. The ones I saw didn't have any fancy machinery. The people there are just carved wood with a stone for a heart.]

[Moira: Interesting. Tell me, how much do you know about the holy father?]

[Richard: His name is Oliver Ran Myers, His kingdom is named Santonio, and he's my son.]

[Moira: What is your name?]

[Richard: You can call me Richard Myers.]

Suddenly Moi falls forward, landing face-first on the cold ground. He struggles to stand up, flailing his arms and legs in every direction. He begins to madly crawl towards me, hugging my legs, apologizing several times.

[Richard: Calm down, calm down.]

I don't know what the hell is going on but I do know I don't want my legs crushed by his giant hands. I try to move away but he refuses to let go, instead, he continues to apologize. I tell him everything is fine but he doesn't care. I don't understand the reaction at all, I mean shouldn't I just be seen as a defective golem. It's just a name after all.

After several minutes of struggling Moi finally let's go. For some reason, I feel tired. It was just a few minutes of awkwardness so why do I feel so mentally exhausted. I was an English teacher this much shouldn't do much.

[Moira: I'm sorry for my reaction. You meet every requirement to be acknowledged as the holy father's father. An advanced golem capable of advanced thought as well as speech, and that can express clear emotion that claims to be from the holy land as well as having met a guardian. Your name is also the same as in the great text.]

...How in the ever-loving hell do I respond to this? I think to myself.

Once again things go silent. Moi just stares at me with a goofy grin on his lizard face. Thankfully after several seconds, someone breaks the silence. Unfortunately, it's his mom that breaks the silence.

[Lier: Moira lunch is ready!]

Moi puts on an expression of pure annoyance, screaming "Okay" at the large box by the stairs. He looks to me, turning around every now and then. I figure he wants something from me so I go ahead and nod.

Isn't it a little too early for lunch?

[Moira: Will you sit with me. I'm not comfortable spending time with my mother without a golem around. Usually, I would have a small doll resting on my shoulder but mom ended up destroying it.]

[Richard: Sure.]

I'm pretty sure the kid will need support. I remember whenever my mom called me by name It would mean she's pissed. I don't know if that applies to lizard people but I'm willing to bet. We move up the stairs, Moi tapping the gem that opens the entrance then guiding me towards the dining room. He moves as slowly as possible so I go ahead and do the same. Eventually, we find ourselves in front of a large redwood door with two maids wearing outfits similar to the pair of twins. They open the door and we walk in, Moi scratching his head and apologizing for accidentally showing me his adult fun outfit collection. I tell him everything fine and we walk in.

The walls are a cream white, a chandelier made of shining blue gemstones hangs on the center of the light yellow roof. Of course, there are several shimmering stones embedded into the walls and roof, acting as light bulbs. There is a large wooden table with a protective white cloth cover spread across it. It has enough room for well over twenty people but there are only two seats on opposite ends, Moi's mom sits on one, looking at him with an annoyed face, not noticing my existence.

[Lier: Today we eat beef stew, beef curry, and for dessert, we'll have Jaffa cakes. After we eat we...we...is that a golem? Moira did you bring another one of your damn golems into the dining room.]

[Moira: Yes, mom. Now can we eat already?]

[Lier: Not until you put that golem back in your lab.]

[Moira: I refuse.]

[Lier: ...son...okay fine.]

[Moira: Good.]

Moira calls for a maid to bring a seat for me. The mother and son begin to eat in their comfy seats while I stand, the maid coming back after a few seconds with a seat. Moi first eats from a bowl of meat. The meat is a light brown, a deep red coating covering every piece. Small cubes of what appears to be either caramelized onion or ginger appear to be in the sauce. There are also two small green peppers but Moi eats them before I can get a good look.

The mom said there's stew but I don't see any unless the thing Moi is eating is supposed to be some kind of fancy stew there isn't any. He finishes quickly, making sure to use the utensils on the side of the plate, creating a bit off an odd sight as this lizard tries to be polite and manner less at the same time. He then moves onto the curry, finishing that quickly too. He asks his mom for the cake but gets rejected. Both of them mumble under their breath for a bit before the mom decides to speak.

[Lier: Son do you really have to be a Myer?]

[Moira: You already know the answer mom.]

[Lier: ...Son those golems took your father and they almost took you. I please ask that you try to understand.]

[Moira: Mom it's what I want to do. I am fine with risking my life.]

[Lier: But I'm not fine with that! Why do you have to be like your father? Why are so okay with risking your life? Why can't you just listen!]

[Moira: It depends on whether or not you're actually going to listen or if you just going to scream over me while breaking my stuff and hitting me.]

[Lier: I wouldn't have to hit you if you just listened!]

[Moira: And I would listen if you actually practiced you what you preach you overly aggressive destructive failure of a parent!]

Moira stands up, sending his chair flying, walking away after licking his bowl clean. He forgets about me, just leaving me to sit here while his mom cries, wiping her tears with the table cloth. Suddenly she looks at me. I'm scared. I don't like her.  I want to stand up and go away but I want to help. It's not my place but unlike my mom, Moira's actually seems to care about him. I don't want anybody else to become a parent hating mess like me.

His mom begins to stutter, trying her hardest to form a sentence while looking at me with her cold eyes. After several failed attempts she succeeds.

[Lier: It's yo...it's....what did I do wrong? Why can't I just talk to him? You're a golem so you must know my son well. Can you please tell me what I should do? Can you tell me if he still loves me? Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong for my son?]

Her voice is weak with a slight whimper in every word she speaks. I don't know what's happening but she really seems to care. She hits Moi so I hate her but I feel I have to do something to help, to bring this family back together. I decide to speak to her.

[Richard: I don't know but I guess I can help if you're willing to be honest.]

2