Chapter 15: A Mixed Life(1)
20 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night sky shines an ethereal purple, the clouds dancing among the stars as the moon plays a gentle stage light. The roads are almost empty. As the city sleeps the slums wake. Children move out to play and parents plan their night. Some will work and some will steal. As I walk past everyone I wonder to myself. I wonder if they'll be glad to see the sky when I wake em up? Oh, and how do I get a job? For now I'll just head to those farms.

As I walk I look around. Even in the outskirts the houses look the same. Human Lycan or Reptile Lycan children wander the roads. Some are playing with a mud ball while others are playing with the golems in front of their homes. Despite being the same model as inner city golems these are noticeably slow and damaged. Their clothes are dirty and old, even so the kids can be happy knowing that there is a friendly community of people just like them. Seeing this I feel a slight smile...I miss having a face. After a few minutes I can see the farmland. Working in the farm are people just like Alecia's parents as well as some mixed people with noticeable physical disabilities.

I feel a little gross seeing this. Even in other worlds things are the same huh? With heavy steps I move the one of the more import looking people.

[Richard: Hey there I know this is strange but I'm looking for a job. I'll be staying here temporarily and need a source of income.]

[???: Sure. Name, blood purity, and mana affinity please.]

.....Fuck it. Let's wing it!

[Richard: You can call me Rich. Mana affinity is body manipulation and i'm more towards the human side.]

[???: Alright. You can just talk to a purard and they'll tell you what to do. Pay is at the end of your shift which is until morning. Your allowed two one hour breaks where you can do as you please. These break hours are unpaid.]

Wow. Not a single care in the world huh? Well I guess I should be thankful that managers are lazy even in another world. After thanking him I start to move towards the nearest plot. Before anything I hear a familiar voice.

[???: Rich? Rich is that you!]

Suddenly one of the farmers stands up. He's wearing thick pants and a small black vest. Waving his arms excitedly, he runs towards me. The supervisors give him dirty looks but he doesn't care. Just before I can say anything he wraps his arm around my shoulders.

[???: Are you here to work too? If you how about you join me. We'll go out to eat after as thanks for saving my little girl from those merchant fucks!]

[Richard: Sure Piero, I'll join you. I have to say no the meal though. Thanks for offering.]

Piero lets go and slumps over. Somewhat down he starts walking towards the left-most field, signaling me to follow along. As we walk all the other pure-bloods smile or wave at Piero. Without slowing down he'll respond the same. As I look around I notice a small group of human like lycans in front each field. In front of them is a large barrel of water with small nozzles on the side. Their veins start to glow. Slowly a small green ball of what looks like glowing gel flows out from their palm. Struggling, they push that ball into the water. Piero, seeing me so curious speaks.

[Piero: They're just adding a healing element to the plant water. Helps em grow faster you know. Ah, or maybe I don't. If you want you can ask my wife after. She's so good with magic that even the mixed nobles fear her.]

.....I have never seen someone look more smug. Not even when the smartest kid in my class got outdone by the clown. For now I should reject. I'm not leaving yet but I know that it's best I don't form to many bonds before I leave. Why am I staying here again? To gather information? No, it's so I can keep people from finding out I'm a golem. Right? Suddenly, I feel someone tap my shoulder. Piero ask if I'm okay and I say yes.

And so the night starts. I have no idea how to farm so I end up following around Piero. We have to plow the field first, which was hard as hell until Piero showed me the right way to swing a hoe. Then we apply the magic water. Finally, we plant the seeds, all of which involves bending your knees right. A lot of attention is needed in the waist too. Everyone here is quite friendly. They're like one big family. It's pretty common to hear two people talk about their kids or plans. Some people are complaining about being unable to update their outfits or golem while others are talking about going out to eat together. Overall it seems that the mixed blood and those with prosthetics or other disabilities have formed a tight knit community.Finally, after working through two especially large fields our shift ends. Apparently, when the days up you go to a supervisor and get paid after checking wether you were put in the break list. Neither me nor Piero took breaks so we both got paid 55 dia each.

Piero tries to convince me to join him, several others joining along. In the end I refuse, saying I want to explore on my own. Everyone offers to guide me, saying that it's been a while since they've had such a friendly traveler. Although feeling guilty now I still refuse. And so we all separate. Silently, I walk through the silent streets, coming across slum kids playing or farmers shopping every now and then. As I walk I see that everyone, for the most part live relatively happy lives. The mixed bloods more on lizard side seem to have trouble with food. Apparently they need to eat several times more than their counter part.

Looking at the dirty kids and skinny lizard people I decide how best to spend my money. After getting lost for a little over an hour I find myself in the shopping district. Looking through each stall I try to find the cheapest and biggest option. Seeing me acting like this some of them begin to visibly show suspicion. At some point someone even tells me to buy something or leave. I end explaining that I want to buy a lot for cheap, making sure to leave out the mixed blood part. I don't know if they'll ban me for buying for them but I'm not risking it. In the end I buy 2 large smoked antarath wings a leg taller than me.

It's really hard to move them. As much as I want to avoid getting them dirty they're just too heavy. Seeing me struggle so much the merchants start to whisper to each other. I overhear one of them call me a walking husk. Ignoring them I move to the outskirts. Seeing the two wings the kids immediately stop to stare at me. Trying to look as friendly as possible I talk.

[Richard: I know you don't know me but I brought food for all you kids. Or at-least, as many as I can feed. If your fine with it I just ask that you get some plates and a knife I'll start serving everyone.]

All of the kids look at me suspiciously, their parents stepping out of their houses to glare at me. Some of them start to walk away while some of the parents start walking towards me. Thankfully a familiar little girl moves to protect me.

[Alicia: Wait! Mister is nice! He helped me and gave me lots of food!]

She's standing on her tippy toes with her arms out. Seeing this everyone starts to giggle. Some of the crowd comments that she's too cute to be scary. In response she puffs out her cheeks. Suddenly, I see Piero and his wife. Trying to catch their attention I wave towards them. Thankfully, they notice me. Piero, first ask what I'm doing. After telling him I brought the kids some food he looks conflicted. Suddenly, his wife speaks to me.

[Emilia: Thank you Rich. I don't think I've introduced myself. My name is Emilia and, well, you already know about the others. Can I ask why you did this? The community often puts together money to feed the children proper meals so I don't understand why you would do this let alone spend all your dia.]

In response I scratch the back of my head, clearly embarrassed. Even so I say my reason.

[Richard: Because I can. That and I have a soft spot for kids. I also don't really care how you look. Kids, regardless of what they are deserve to live well.]

Silence

Stillness

Suddenly, it's as if time stopped. The crowd stares at me, their eyes wide and the mouths hanging low. Suddenly, one of the elderly start to cry. Then another. Then all of them. Some of the adults join in while others watch on solemnly. The children, having no idea what the hell is going on run to grab plates and knifes. Before I know it I have a pile of plates and knives right in front of me. As the children look at me expectantly I look to the adults. The oldest looking one walks to me, grabbing both wings while another grabs a table.

[Holun: Well come on...Rich was it? I Holun eldest of the pure-blood lycans approve of you. Now come little one's. I'm sorry rich this won't be enough. I must ask that you return to the market. We will pay for as many antarath wings as possible.]

Not knowing what in the everloving hell is going on I agree. With my thoughts numb I'm handed 5 dia per family ending up with 165 dia. Seeing me return so so soon and seeing me buy so many wings he ends up giving me an extra for 15 dia, leaving me with 4 wings. As soon as I return one of the wings has already been eaten, leaving not even the bones. The children are smiling happily while their parents watch on. Seeing me return the crowd gets visibly more excited. 

At this point I can't hold back any more. Grabbing Honul we move to a secluded spot. He looks at me curiously.

[Richard: I'm sorry but what is with the extreme reaction?]

Suddenly, Honul goes stiff. He's visibly shocked. As if looking at an alien, he looks me up and down. After a few seconds of silence he speaks.

 

I really gotta stop promising things I cant keep. Sorry bout not posting yesterday. I have to say it is a lot harder to keep concentrated than I remember. I'll keep uploading but the days are going to be random. I'll upload twice a week minimum. Maybe three if I'm lucky. Sorry about that but I'm sure there is a notification system or something that can happen. I don't know and honestly too lazy to check. As usual have a great life in general everyone!

 

 

1