Prologue – Four Years Ago
1.1k 4 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=:= Nicole =:=

Nikki carefully disentangled herself from Samantha's sleeping body. She slipped out of bed, and bent down to pick up the nightshirt Sam had loaned her. Moving quietly on tiptoes, she snuck out of the bedroom as she pulled the nightshirt over her head.

Sam had been so stressed all day and into the evening, Nikki knew the beautiful brunette witch could use the rest. Nikki on the other hand couldn't sleep at all.

Her mind and body were still abuzz with energy after completing the ritual earlier this evening. She and Sam had worked off quite a bit of that excess physical energy together in bed over the past couple hours, but Nikki was still wide-awake.

She quietly made her way into the bathroom. After gently closing the door, she turned on the light and just stood infront of the mirror for a few minutes. Her eyes moved up and down over her reflection, taking in her new appearance.

This was her now. The cute goth girl with the long jet-black hair, the pale skin, the bright blue eyes. This is who she was now. She was comfortable with her new appearance, her new body. Even her new gender. But that didn't make it any less new or different.

She thought back over the events that brought her here. The past twenty-four hours had been a whirlwind of surprises, chaos, emotions, and discovery.

Up until yesterday evening, she'd been Nick Elliot. A man. She'd stood six-foot-two and weighed nearly two hundred pounds. Broad shoulders, muscles, brown eyes, short brown hair. She'd also been a self-absorbed, misogynistic, thick-skulled asshole.

As Nick she'd been abusive towards her girlfriend Brooke, and used her size to intimidate and take advantage of her parents. She had a dead-end job fixing cars at a local garage. Her life had pretty much peaked last year at the age of twenty.

Now she was a small attractive goth girl named Nikki. She was currently employed at a cosmetics shop, but she'd already made up her mind to quit that job. She wanted something with more of a future, something she was passionate about. She planned on sending resumes to the various local wineries, and see if she could land a job with one of them. Even an entry position would get her in the door.

Nikki was still staring at herself in the mirror, as her thoughts started to bounce around. She was still riding the high that came with embodying the Goddess.

That was another huge change. Maybe even bigger than becoming a girl. She was now forever connected to an actual divine being. She had a real life Goddess permanently embodied within her. Gods were real, witches were real, magic was real, and her life was suddenly entwined with all three.

She still hadn't entirely got her head around all of that. She could now read and understand the strange runes in that ancient book Sam had found. Suddenly she could understand medieval Welsh and Latin, and soon she'd be learning to work magic, casting spells of her own. She could hardly believe it, despite having lived it only a few hours ago.

Her eyes drifted down to the new, enchanted tattoo on her wrist. The Goddess said it would be invisible to everyone else, only those who had been initiated could see it. She was their Goddess's vessel, and the tattoo identified her as such. Sam's was similar, but of course hers marked her as the priestess.

"Are you still there?" Nikki asked softly.

Always, Nicole. We will always be connected.

It wasn't like hearing voices, Nikki thought to herself. At least, not like they showed it on TV or movies. It was more like having someone else's thoughts join her own. If she didn't already know it was the Goddess, it wouldn't be hard to convince herself that it was just her own random thoughts, that she was talking to herself in her head.

She whispered, "So all this is real? And it's permanent? I'm never going to be Nick again?"

Yes Nicole. It is real, and it is forever. And there is no going back.

"Good," Nikki smiled.

She was glad for that. As new and strange as it all was, she was already convinced this new life would be better. She was a better person, she had a future, and she had Samantha, a girlfriend whom she adored and respected.

Her thoughts however drifted to Brooke. There was no need to break up with her, it was like they'd never dated at all now. She and Brooke were just acquaintances, high-school friends who'd since drifted apart. They stayed in touch, but the movie last night was the first time they'd seen each other in months.

Nikki didn't regret that. She knew as Nick, she'd been an asshole to Brooke, and at times, she'd been a violent asshole. She'd taken Brooke for granted, treated her badly. She'd even cared more about that stupid car than she did her former girlfriend.

She actually wished that she could apologize, but Brooke no longer remembered Nick at all so it would only confuse her. Hopefully with Nick gone, Brooke would find herself someone who was truly good for her, who appreciated her like she deserved.

That brought her thoughts back to her parents again, the other important people in her life that Nick had been an asshole to.

Nikki had yet to meet her parents since all this happened, though she'd spoken briefly with her mom on the phone earlier. She understood that her parents both knew her as Nicole now, they had no memory of ever having had a son named Nick. She wasn't sure if she should feel bad about that or not.

She was convinced though that this would be better for them, as it was for Brooke. She was determined that as Nicole, she'd be a much better person than Nick ever was. She'd make up for how she treated people in the past, how she'd acted when she was him.

Finally, her thoughts returned to Samantha. Sam was smart, caring, passionate, tall, strong, and beautiful... Nikki felt her heart flutter as she pictured the gorgeous witch. That was as much a blessing as anything else that had happened. Meeting Sam, falling for her, becoming girlfriends...

Nikki had no idea where this new life of hers would lead, but as long as she could live it with Samantha, she knew she'd be happy.

There was a light thud on the door behind her, and then a faint creak as it swung open a few inches. Nikki turned, worried for a moment that she'd woken Sam. Instead, there was a grumbling meow as Sam's big black cat Morwenna forced her way into the bathroom.

"Ok Mo," Nikki whispered with a grin. "I get it. It's bed-time."

She turned out the light then tiptoed out of the bathroom and back to Sam's bedroom. The nightshirt wound up on the floor again, as Nikki slipped back under the duvet and cuddled up against the sleeping witch.

She closed her eyes, and eventually managed to drift off with a happy, contented smile on her lips.

=:= Nathan =:=

It was a grey November morning as Nathan emerged from the busy Oxford Circus tube station. It wasn't raining yet, but the sky was threatening. There was a slight chill in the air, but nothing out of the ordinary for London in the autumn.

He felt some apprehension as he made his way through the crowd of Friday morning commuters. When he'd woken this morning, there was a message waiting for him. Richard wanted to see him at nine o'clock sharp.

It was only about a five minute walk from the station to the large Victorian building. From the outside, it looked like a private Gentlemans' club, which was exactly the sort of image the Brotherhood liked to maintain. He made his way up the steps and in through the front doors.

"Good morning sir," Carter greeted him just inside the door. "He is expecting you."

Nathan nodded as he shed his overcoat and handed it to the smartly-dressed doorman.

Inside, the atmosphere was dark, quiet, respectful. Nathan made his way up the wide staircase to the third floor, and finally to the door of Richard's office. He paused there, taking a moment to collect himself, then knocked.

"Enter." The response was immediate.

Nathan knew it was possible Richard had been monitoring him since he arrived at the front door. For that matter, his superior may have been monitoring him since he woke this morning.

He opened the door and stepped into the office, closing it behind him.

"Good morning Nathan. Have a seat." Richard was sitting behind his large wood desk. He was immaculately dressed, as they all were here. Custom-tailored suits were the standard among members of the Brotherhood, and were expected attire when here at their headquarters.

Nathan replied, "Good morning sir." He stepped forward and settled into one of the two large leather guest chairs.

The office was quiet, decorated with wood paneling and deep red and gold wallpaper. There were windows overlooking the street below, but none of the noises from outside penetrated the building.

Nathan waited quietly, as Richard took a sip from the antique bone china teacup in his hand.

Richard looked to be in his late forties, but Nathan knew the man was probably at least two or three decades older than that. Nathan himself appeared in his early forties, despite his actual age of sixty-two. It was just one of the many benefits of belonging to the Brotherhood.

After a minute or two of silence, his superior set the teacup down on its matching saucer, then fixed his eyes on Nathan.

In a serious tone, Richard stated "Last night, around midnight local time, Oracle detected an Awakening."

Nathan's eyes widened slightly as he felt a little surge of adrenaline. This was exactly the sort of event he'd spent the last three decades preparing and training for, but he'd never expected it to actually happen. Not in his lifetime. He nodded slightly, waiting for his superior to continue.

"It was weak, Oracle was not able to determine an identity or a location. The feeling though was probably Celtish, possibly Brythonic in origin." Richard paused, then added, "I'll be speaking with our people in Dublin and Paris next. I'll also send word to our people in Athens, Rome, and Berlin, just in case."

Nathan nodded again, "I understand. You want me to initiate the protocols here in the U.K.?"

"Yes." Richard gave him a curt nodd then paused for another sip of his tea. "Priority for now will be to locate and identify the source. Oracle will continue monitoring of course, but odds are a freshly-awoken God will be looking to quickly expand their base. We can expect to detect their use of magic, or other supernatural activity."

"I'll get the word out at once, sir." Nathan asked, "Once we've found them, should we act immediately? Or do you want me to report to you first?"

"Standard protocols, Nathan." Richard stated. "When you hear from your people, you make the call. Do keep me in the loop of course."

"Yes sir." Nathan nodded. He knew the protocols like the back of his hand. Eliminate the Vessel and the Priest first, that would isolate the God and cut off their access to the mortal realm. Then the Brotherhood would be free to deal with anyone else involved with the deity, without fear of divine magic or influence.

After a pause, he asked "Sir? When was the last Awakening? It's been a while, hasn't it?"

Richard sat back in his chair, looking thoughtful. "Just over a century ago, Nathan. Nineteen-fifteen, France."

Nathan nodded slowly. That was long before his time, though he couldn't help but wonder if Richard might have been around for that. He had no way of knowing how old the man really was.

After another pause, Richard stated, "You're dismissed, Nathan. Get to work."

"Yes sir."

Nathan stood up and exited, closing the door behind him. He made his way to his own office on the second floor. As the co-ordinator for the U.K. he had about three dozen men under his direct authority. Some were right here in London, but the others were spread across Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

He started typing up a secure email, that would be sent to his officers in Edinburgh, Cardiff, and Belfast. As soon as that was done, he'd call an in-person meeting with his officers here in London.

=:= Richard =:=

He glared across his desk at the UK controller. Nathan looked nervous, though he also looked like he was trying not to show it.

It was late Friday afternoon, and there was sun coming in through the windows, though it had been raining earlier. Typical May weather.

"Nothing?" Richard asked. "In six months, you've found nothing at all?"

"No sir," Nathan replied. The anxiety was audible in the man's voice. Like everyone in the Brotherhood, he knew the price of failure was very high. "We've found nothing throughout the U.K. There's been no divine magic, no disturbances, nothing."

Richard just frowned at his subordinate. He did not like to be disappointed by his men.

Nathan risked a question, "I take it, none of the other offices have found anything either?"

"Correct." Richard replied tersely. He didn't bother to hide his irritation.

"Is it possible..." Nathan hesitated. "Is it possible that Oracle was wrong about the Awakening?"

"No," he stated. "Oracle is never wrong.

None of them actually knew who or what Oracle was, but in all his years with the Brotherhood, Richard had never once known it to be mistaken.

"Yes sir. Sorry sir." Nathan sounded contrite, but he was looking thoughtful.

After a pause, the coordinator risked another question. "Perhaps the Awakening was unsuccessful, or short-lived? Could a deity have woken, but then gone dormant again on their own?"

Richard considered that. "It's possible, but we can't make that assumption. We have to find them, or at least find confirmation that they've gone dormant."

Nathan nodded quietly.

Richard sighed, "Keep at it, Nathan. Keep your people vigilant. I...have to report the lack of progress to Alexander. Dismissed."

Nathan gulped but nodded, "Yes sir."

He watched as Nathan hastily exited his office, closing the door behind him.

Richard sighed again, then started typing up his report. He'd only met Alexander a handful of times over the past five decades. He hoped this wouldn't result in another summons to meet the Brotherhood's enigmatic leader.

It was well-known in the Brotherhood that being summoned by the man in charge was usually a one-way trip. Only Richard, as the second-in-command of the organization, had ever returned from those meetings.

And he knew that sooner or later, he'd be called to make that journey once final time, then he too would be added to the list of those who'd never come back.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

50