016 – Valena
406 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“G-g-good morning!” Valena shouted her greetings with a face flushed red. It complimented her olive green dress of common design that peeked through her cloak and turquoise-ish eyes that her hood couldn’t fully cover. Her tomato tinted expression was further accented by her onyx colored hair.

“Good morning to you too, milady,” Robert courtly returned her greetings. Seven told him her mistress desires to speak with him and he assented to it. He now found himself in front of a girl who resembled a cornered mouse than a lady of highborn. Although, given her history, Robert figured her manner could be excused.

“Thank you,” she gazed down as she conveyed her gratitude. Her voice was so soft that a pillow alone would completely smother it.

Robert stood baffled at her words. “Thank you?”

“Oh mistress, my dear sweet mistress.” Seven in her cat form shook her head in exasperation.

Realizing her erroneous words, her red tinge intensified. She was fidgeting even more than before. She took steps back as she mumbled her apologies that couldn’t be formed into actual words. Little by little, she withdrew to the stand of vases and pots of exorbitant value. Unknowingly until only the last moment, she elbowed a vase off the stand.

At the sight of the falling vase, Valena yelped, Robert muttered quietly but unnerved, and Seven merely sighed.

It was a considerable drop from the high stand but right before it hid the ground and broke into hundreds of shards of varying size, the movement of time became a crawl solely for the vase. The miracle shatter off as a mere illusion when Valena grabbed onto the vase in time.

The owner had saw the whole fuss but the skirting surrealism left him in a daze. After the vase was return to its rightful place, the owner waved the three off with an unwelcoming glare.

“Sorry…” Valena apologized, her voice mellowing as it traveled but it was picked up by Robert before it expired.

Rubbing his temple, Robert turned to Seven. “Where is this place you said we’re going to?”

Seven growled softly with the sound of a cat before diving into Valena’s shadow. “Straight through north from here and turn left at the end over there.” Her voice resounded like it had been strained through a long hollow tube.

Robert glanced over to the direction Seven spoke of. “What about the alley just before the turn?”

“No difference but why?”

“Less worries,” Robert told her and proceeded north. Valena followed closely behind.

The growing crowd was a struggle to get through. The day was barely noon but people were flooding endlessly into the avenue and the plaza. Every once in a while, he would glimpse back to make sure Valena followed behind him. Knowing her from just the few seconds of interaction, she could get taken away and never yelled out a cry but with Seven accompanying her, it would be extremely unlikely.

They entered the valley without much complication except for the part where they pushed themselves out of the crowd packed with sweat. But it was better than catching some bothersome individuals’ attention. It would be a lie if Robert said he wasn’t on hinges at Creed’s reports. His hyper-cognition told him he was safe but his instincts were screaming for him to be vigilant.

Anyways, the heat and sweat was trifling to Robert as he could change his clothes at a blink. His clothes were sweaty anyway but Valena was another matter. She had a cloak but having lived a sheltered-life, it was an ordeal to even brushed by articles of strangers through clothing.

“Will she be fine?” Robert asked worriedly. It was a genuine concern. Even if it wasn’t before, it became so after witnessing her cheek steamed red. He had the urge to just treat her like a pet.

“I am here with her, nothing can happen,” Seven said with full credence in her tone.

“I’m holding you to that.”

“She is my mistress and you worry about her more than I do, could this be…” Seven trailed off intentionally.

Valena squeaked at Seven’s words and widened her eyes at Robert.

“Is she your mistress or your toy?”

Seven giggled. “No reason she cannot be both.”

“Seven!” Valena cried and inflated her cheeks.

“Just a jest, my mistress.” Seven laughed. “What have I always told you? If it’s absurd, take it with salt.“

Valena nodded meekly.

Robert sighed in his mind and gaze ahead, where the alley tapered. He prayed in his mind for the credulous Valena.

The lights were scarce and it barely reached the ground. There were no other presences besides them and the path was littered with waste of all range and kind. The sound of their footsteps bounced between the walls but never seemed to made it out of the valley. It was an unfavorable setting which many avoided but to Robert, it was an advantage.

“Smells, dark, and not much room for movements,” Seven remarked. “Sweetheart, why are we gracing through this place?”

“It’s quiet and empty. If anyone’s following us, I’ll know for sure without delay.”

“It’s f-filthy…” Valena muttered feebly but her voice ricocheted within the narrow space and right into everyone’s ears.

Robert heard that but if he pointed it out, he was afraid Valena would explode with shame, literally.

As Robert sought out a different subject to dispel the awkwardness, something flew into his awareness. It wasn’t the plump bird but a sparrow. A Sparrow Familiar, to be precise.

“Lily,” he mumbled at the sender’s name. An intuition, that was what it was when he saw the sparrow.

Hearing his murmur, Valena stopped and followed his gaze, or at least she tried to. She ended up gazing down like always when his face entered her view.

“What is it?” Seven asked in earnest. Even she could tell the unease from Robert. “Is something wrong?”

“I hope not,” Robert replied plainly.

When it was directly above Robert, the sparrow dispersed into glitters of Magic, releasing a roll of parchment into his open hand. There was no seal or any proof of identification of the sender except for the scent of the message’s author.

Robert took a whiff at the rolled-up paper, “it’s Lily alright,” before unfolding the paper.

“Disgusting,” uttered Seven along with a groan of her word.

Valena was of the same opinion but she only fidgeted.

Ignoring the two, he went through the message. In short, the message had only two items but it raised and dampened his spirits at the same time. The first news spoke of the possibility of there being more than one Dragon artifact in the city and the Caeleon Faith might had another in their repository. While it was a boon to get his hands on one but a nuisance to face off against it.

The second message however, it galled him. The message served to rectify the information given prior. It detailed Azaela’s time of arrival. The prior estimation was two days but in this parchment, it stated the subject to have arrived yesterday. Azaela, the chief of Robert’s worries, was already in the same enclose as him.

“If that’s the case, there will also be discrepancy in the information regarding her Magic. Awesome…”

Robert crushed the parchment and the overloaded Magic disintegrated the paper that couldn’t contain such strength for its minuscule size. It was the same concept of overheating something. Flames would eventually arose from the excessive heat. Such method was only possible on small and light objects for Robert’s level of Magic Pool.

“Dear me, that is not a very good face,” opined Seven.

“Let’s just keep moving,” Robert said and made his way out the alley in silent. The lights welcomed him back to their embrace but it only made his sullen expression obvious for the world to see.

“Turn right over there after the apothecary. Then, walk straight until the end.” Seven directed.

Robert followed her instructions without any dissent.

The two trailed behind him quietly.

“Is he unwell?” Valena asked without a stutter. Even she noticed the change.

“Seen his eyes?” Seven said in a voice that only her mistress could pick up.

“No… I didn’t. I was…” and she stuttered again.

“I know, I know. I am saying his worries have shifted particularly to something. His eyes are going everywhere, looking out for that something.”

“Or someone?” Valena added.

“See,” Seven exclaimed, “you learn. You are not that daft, my dear mistress.”

“Sorry…”

Seven sighed. “Oh dear, that part of you will be hard to mend.”

They reached the end after the turn before the two knew it.

Without glimpsing back, Robert asked, “what’s next?”

“Left here. Go straight until you see a building with a blue roof.”

“That’s all?”

“That is all. It’s not the most elegant place but you will find delicacy in the food and conducts.”

“I see,” Robert nodded slightly.

The act made Seven recoil, even though she didn’t have a body, presently speaking. His response was amicable, something she never received from him since their introductions. Seven couldn’t see the vexation and discontent in his eyes when he responded as if he lost all interest in entertaining her whims. Frankly speaking, Seven was irk by his abandon but no way she would ever let him know. As long as she persisted in this world, that would forever be her secret.

“A-are you unwell, Mister Ross?” Valena asked with a feeble voice. She was aware that Robert was her age from Seven told her but no matter how she perceived him, she could only see him as someone older than her by years. Even when she stood just as tall as him.

“I am well, Lady Devetra,” he responded without a change in his expression. “I appreciate your worries but it is nothing you’ll need to concern yourself with, not now at least.” The last part was only spoken through his heart.

“But Seven said…”

“Don’t mind what she said.”

Seven scoffed but it only fell out of his heed.

“I’m just being careful and circumspect, Lady Devetra.”

“Y-yes…” Valena wagged her head. It was too slovenly to be a nod.

They spent the rest of their short journey in an uncomfortable silence. Valena was no longer face full of red but she looked on at Robert worriedly.

Eventually, they arrived in front of a building with a blue roof and a welcoming front yard. Along the cobblestone pavement that led to the entrance was a sign, carved with the words, “Diners’ Retreat” with dexterity.

A well-dressed man in black trousers and a white dress shirt, beaming with a cordial smile, awaited their arrival at the vast front porch of the building.

“Greetings, Miss Verlaine. It’s been awhile.” The man had a gracious tone but his greetings passed over Robert.

Valena gave a nod which barely qualified as one.

“This fine gentleman is Torrus. And as you can already tell, mistress is a regular here and she uses an anonym.” Seven explained.

But Robert had a different intrigue. “Miss, huh.” It was another word that he rarely heard in his hometown. It was always lass or lad.

“Is this young man your escort, Miss?” Torrus asked with an amicable tone.

Before Valena could gave another one of her meek nods, Robert thrust himself into the conversation. “I am,” he said to the man named Torrus.

“He’s a f-friend.” Valena burned up at her last word.

“The usual room, Miss?”

“Yes…”

“Of course. Right this way, please,” Torrus said and gestured the two through the door.

At a glance, Robert understood the diner took pride in its elegance of humility. The furnishings were no antiques. They were neither carved from the finest wood nor the cutleries were of skilled craftsmanship. The shop had plenty of space but the sittings were quite few. There were much room in between the seats and a single table encompassed only two individuals.

Further into the shop, a similarly well-dressed lady took over the reception and led them down a corridor meticulously lined with doors. The rooms were hidden behind twin frames of opaque glass doors, each with its own different animal-engraving. The one they entered bore a viper with its fangs bared.

Robert shifted his glance between Valena and the viper engraving. “Not possible, right?”

The room was fairly wide and it looked to be able to fit one more table, even when considering the table was a few feet longer than the ones Robert saw in the open areas. The room had windows but the wooden blinds were penurious with the lights. It was bright enough to move around unhindered but not enough to illuminate all the details of the room.

“It’s been a long time, Miss Verlaine,” the waitress said as she prepared the seats at a snap. It was a literal snap that conjured up the seats from the legs up.

“It has, Melissa.” There was improvement but it was still within the range of being meek.

The waitress named Melissa ushered them to their seats with a warm gaze, distinctly on Valena. She sat them on both ends of the table and placed down a small handbell before Valena. The waitress then snapped her fingers again. This time, a candlestick appeared in the middle of the table. She set it alight with a match she drew from the empty air. The room wasn’t dark by any means but the candlelight set up a strange mood.

Aloof to the shifting mood, Melissa snapped her fingers again. Cutleries and napkins made themselves known in front of the two.

Robert recognized the process but he couldn’t see any ornaments or jewelry on Melissa. His conclusion led him to believe that it was her own Magic or an enchantment of this room. He was leaning more to the latter.

The waitress clapped her hands and rose petals floated gently onto the table. It was a wonder that the petals didn’t get set ablaze by the candle’s flame as they fell. Upon a single touch, Robert realized the petals were illusions.

“Someone’s definitely misunderstanding here.”

Seven was stifling her laughter but it turned into a chortle.

Valena was trying to say something but her resolution was destroy by the waitress’ complacent smile. “Please, take your time,” she said and left after handing them the menu.

Robert finally breathed out an overdue sigh.

“Um…” Valena stuttered to speak Robert’s name.

“Sorry about all that,” Robert apologized.

“Ah? No… you weren’t at fault.” Soft as ever, her tone was but she wasn’t faltering.

“For compensation, allow me to pay for this meal.”

“I will pay,” she brisked past her words.

“Lady Devetra, please, allow me.”

“No, Mister Ross. I will—”

“Mistress,” Seven jumped in, “you will shatter a man’s pride with that continuance of yours. Spending gold for a lovely lady is a privilege and honor for men.” Seven made her voice heard by the two of them.

“Then, you will pay,” Valena was quick to change her stance. The candlelight was ample enough to reveal the blush on her face.

“I’ll have a cup of black coffee and a minced-beef pie then,” Robert uttered without even a glimpse of the menu.

“You have been here before?” Valena asked as she flipped through the menu. Her words became more perspicuous.

“No but I can smell what they have.” It wasn’t a lie. Robert smelled everything the diner had ever served. He could also tell there was some sort of a secret passageway hidden among the cellar, in the guise of a wine storage.

“That’s amazing…” She hid behind the menu as soon as all the words left her lips.

Her reticence and timidity parted most of Robert’s worries like clouds on a sunny day. A smile returned to his face.

“Dear me, you are brimming with quite the audacity with that face there, Rossie.” Seven remarked.

Since Valena did not returned a reaction, Robert guessed Seven had spoken to him privately. “How meek can she be?” Robert talked at a whispering tone that reached no where.

But it reached the shadows. “The clan only made sure she was healthy and living,” Seven told him, “everything else was minimal. They actually preferred her this way, keeps her less daring and defying.”

“And she’s out here, without tails. Or I’m just out of practice.”

“Needless worries. She has no tails. She is not worth the trouble and the Ris for tails. They fulfilled only their “humanly” obligations and only that. What happens outside of that field will not be their problem or concern.”

Robert had thought the clan would send assassins after Valena but Seven made it unequivocally clear to him now. They had no need to mind her actions as she was kept from all the family’s trades and secrets. Whether she lived or died, as long as it was outside her living premises, it won’t be counted as the clan’s plight.

“What a life.” Robert gave Valena his sympathies from his heart.

“Save those forlorn eyes for the beggars and such. She has me and I think that will be all she needs.”

“Sure… ” Robert nodded. “Well, she’s fucked, then.”

“You are thinking of something rude, no?”

“It’s just your imagination.”

“Hmm…”

Robert felt Seven staring through the shadows but he kept to his principle, what was left of it. He faked a cough to steered the subject, “this place, you sure it’s— safe?”

“I do not know of the owner but I know he keeps his customer’s background and information all under his guard and eyes. No amount of Ris could bribe the employees here. Whatever happens here, as long the rules stay untouched, nothing had ever happened once you leave.”

“Remarkable.”

“It is, is it not? Now, mind telling me what grave news you received this “Lily person”, Rob?”

His finger pointed at Valena and he drew a line across the air.

“Fair enough,” Seven comprehended the warning.

And a bell sang with a clear voice and tone.

“Sorry,” Valena sank behind the menu she perched up on the table. “Want to order,” she mumbled her intentions of ringing the bell.

“Of course, by your wishes, Lady Devetra.”

Shortly after, the doors received a few knocks. A mutter of consent came from Valena and the waitress from before entered. Melissa took the orders with only a few words of barely audible level. It was evident to Robert that the employees were use to Valena’s diffidence.

“As for drinks, a black coffee for the Mister and the usual fruit milk for the Miss, correct?”

“Black coffee,” Valena ordered, she had a finger pointing at herself as she fidgeted around.

“Coffee? And black even?” Seven blurted out. “Have your taste finally moved on?”

“Black coffee, Miss?” The waitress held back a frown but Robert caught a glimpse of that effort.

And he understood.

“Yes.” It was a hesitant answer from Valena.

Before the wry-smiling Melissa retreated with their orders, Robert chimed in, “hold the black coffees, make it two fruit milk, please.”

The waitress stood unmoving at Robert’s intercession but she recomposed herself immediately. “Of course,” she replied with a knowing smile and disappeared through the glass doors.

Valena was flailing her arms in panic as her words were stuck on her own repression.

Seven was just tittering.

“It’s alright, Lady Devetra. You don’t need to force yourself.” Robert assured her.

“B-but I—”

“Besides you love fruit milk, don’t you?”

After a brief moment of hesitation, she wagged her head in affirmation.

Seven simpered. “Oh my, how gentleman of you, Robbie Rossie.”

Robert ignored the ever increasing sobriquet for him by Seven. He lined his sights straight at Valena. “Now, what do you wish to speak to me about, Lady Devetra?” He himself wished to speak to her too but he figured it would be nice to let her take the reins.

Valena jumped at the change of the air. “I-I…”

“Go on, tell him, mistress,” Seven encouraged.

“P-please….”

“Please?” Robert tilted his head.

“Please be my friend!” Valena yelled out and she slammed her face onto the table as she bowed. The table shook and the bells rang at the vibration.

“That must have hurt.”

Seven sighed. “Oh my dear sweet, silly, and dumb mistress.”

 

15