10. Scavenger
2.1k 3 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One would’ve thought that eating entire boar would satisfy my needs. Nah. Not anymore. Not only was the taste awesome, there also is the need to obtain as much biomass as possible.

I need more. I want more. I cannot be content with just few leftovers.

I have been watching patiently for another perfect opportunity to show up. Surely one would’ve come eventually. I also have no doubt that it is extremely beneficial for my stealth grinding. The bear that was close by, slaughtered the team of monsters easily. No matter how many, he destroyed them all. At one point one of the crabs managed to almost sever one of his legs only to be dead the next second.

It only pissed the bear more. I think he went into berserk where his leg wound just closed and I started to feel something from it. Weird pressure of some sort, not quite the same as before I figured it might have to do something with mana but until I have a fail proof way of confirming that, lets just call it fear.

The bear was starting to stray more and more distant from his pile of biomass so I decided that now or never moment will be soon. GO GO GO!!! RIGHT NOW!!!

I was about to jump out to snag some more food.

My determination was running extremely high only to be shattered in the next instant. What the ??

The bear is insane. What I thought before was all wrong. All wrong…

Those bears run this place…

They are gods on this floor…

I need to run if they spot me I am dead…

I knew they are strong, I knew it.

Alright someone has to be the strongest it is only natural. Bears are a fair contender for this.

Right… wrong. All wrong.

Run.

My body screams run. I don’t know why, but I feel as if the shadows itself are speaking to me to run. But only for few brief moments, then the darkness hit.

I don’t see anything, but clearly still know exactly where I am and what is around me. There is this overwhelming pressure from right where the bear was. Every single monster that fought stopped moving and started to clump up, they didn’t care about species they were afraid even the bears are clumping up. I cannot see shit, but I know. My whiskers are like weird radar right now. Probably because I can focus on them quite a bit more. Guess this is how blind people feel like?

I started to run. If I thought I don’t have any wild instincts, surely now I do. Maybe it was intuition or the literal godlike presence about hundred meter away from me, I knew.

Stealthily but running, likely not stealthy at all but we are all engrossed in literally pitch black darkness so who cares and let me tell you it feels like weight. I had to act fast I already started taking a lot of damage. So I did the only thing I could and thought off.

Bullet jumping away. I had the place memorized after all and whiskers helped me to sort of guide me so I would not smash myself into things.

Luckily at my third jump I was greeted by my vision again.

I still jumped away few more times right into the tunnel where I first saw the expanse. It was the very same tunnel where I first met with my spider bro and was born. Sort of calmed after the huge distance between me and the entity I finally got enough courage to turn back and watch what is happening.

There, in the expanse was huge sphere of black. It seemed almost like a barrier. Lucky for me it wasn’t or I would be already dead. The screams and death cries of monsters filled my ears. I couldn’t see them but I knew they are all dropping like flies.

I thought I knew something about this dungeon monsters but I was wrong, after the sphere started to slowly collapse into the middle there was the shadow wolf.

Honestly as if the fact that one wolf murdered hundreds of monsters in ten seconds and with single what I would assume spell on top of that wasn’t enough. The spectacle afterwards was even more shocking.

He stored almost all of his kills into his own shadow. Very quickly... in matters of seconds. He freaking put over hundred dead bodies some which were ten times his size into his own damn shadow. Presumably to snack on them whenever and then just casually walked out of the expanse.

Anger, respect, fear…. But mostly jealousy washed all over me. I want to be able to do it too, but how is this even possible. Was this what I barely felt from his shadows when he slept? I was so close to death I didn’t even knew. If he weren’t evolving I died right there no question asked.

Well but then I woke up from my daydreaming. He didn’t collect everything. So I smiled big time but I had to act fast. His reach wasn’t big enough to murder the hornets. They all ran but only a matter of time before they go back and notice the huge amount of leftovers. I need to act fast.

How to do this? While running towards the place where the most dead bodies lies I had to think of something. How am I going to scavenge the most out of this?

Constantly scanning the air, hornets are still scary for me and then it hit me.

I am an idiot.

Weak, stupid, pathetic idiot…

Am I content with few dead bodies??? No! Am I really going to act like rat just because I am one? NO!!!

I am a rat alright, but I am not a RAT.

54