29. Candace
1.6k 16 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

¨That is incredible brave and foolish at the same time Felix¨ My entire body is shaking.

Huh? Oh she woke me up… well I wanted to talk to her anyways.

¨I don’t believe I experienced any monster more confident than you Felix¨

Wait… she looks at me with all of her eyes so I guess she want to make sure I listen properly?

¨Listen well, young Felix… I know we had a deal and that is why you are still alive, but why would you blindly trust me like this? I am a spider and you are a rat. It is very unnatural for you to behave this way. I was even expecting you to not care about our deal at all¨

I still am not sure what is her point? Is she planning to eat me in the future or what? If that was the case wouldn’t she want exactly me trusting her blindly?

It is weird she seems genuinely distressed by my honest trust towards her.

¨Please Felix. I don’t know why you are so carefree, but treasure your life. Make absolutely sure every time you are sleeping guarded as much as you can. Hide or fight however you wish but win at all costs. For what matters only is you survive. Monster die and are born every second in the dungeon, I know that too well¨

Hm… she is so nice. I don’t know why but I think she wouldn’t break any deals. She might be a huge spider that is so insanely times bigger than me, but who cares.

Looking at her gigantic body is just astonishing. She told me she lived more than thousand years and looking at how big she is I would believe her. Still huge size means nothing when it comes to mentality.

I know that too well. Being a former human in a monster body changed nothing except my diet. I am still imperfect, overconfident and way too curious as I was when I was a dude. Well to be fair I changed mentally as well. I am sure I got many times smarter than I used to be. But overall my persona stayed the same.

I bet if she dared me into something suicidal I might just do it… haha don’t even go there Felix just no.

¨Candace… do you want to be friends? ¨ I asked her out of blue.

¨Because I know I want to be friends with you and friends trust each other. I also know that if none of us start trusting first then we can never be friends. Someone always have to start. Might just be me. You have a lot more to lose than I do right? ¨ I don’t doubt for a second that she understood what I meant by losing a lot more. She has children and I don’t after all.

¨Felix…¨ She was at loss of words. The pause wasn’t only for dramatic purpose this time. She just doesn’t know what to say. I cannot tell what is it that makes her so hesitant nor even start the conversation in the first place, but I am sure she will answer me shortly.

¨Felix. That is… I don’t know what friends are. Could you tell me the meaning of word friends? ¨

Wow… that’s sad. But I guess with a family of thousands, maybe one doesn’t need any friends.

Now, how would I best explain the term friends to a monster? Hm… I could go on and say some cliché things and all that but I think the most appropriate would be to just say.

¨Friends are family. They are beings that have no biological ties but decide to form a family like relationship anyways¨

Very confident in my explanation I then continued.

¨Also Candace. I am not foolish, maybe overconfident but not foolish. I know too well you need something from me and that’s why I did this. There is no other place in the dungeon more safe for me right now than in your presence¨

I think I really do trust her just a tiny bit more than I should, but it is more like I am just not scared of her. Not that she would need to know.

¨Also there is a lot of questions I need to ask you¨ I really need answers to many things. Well maybe I don’t really need them but it is killing me that I just don’t know.

¨Alright Felix. I will accept you into my family but that means you will never kill any spider ever again¨ I swear to god I can feel her wrath.

She probably knows I killed a spider before. Don’t know how but she does.

¨That was a bit complicated but basically it was self defense. I wasn’t hunting spiders he almost killed me¨ It is true after all. Well but adding the part where I betrayed his trust would be unwise so I didn’t.

¨Very well. We are friends now and my family is your family. Don’t betray my trust or I will make you pay. Now ask your questions, I have things to do¨

Okay so where would I even begin. Lets start with something I already think I know but want to make sure anyways.

¨Candace do you know what status is? ¨ She was genuinely perplexed. I don’t think she does.

¨What a silly thing to ask. There are only two meaning to that word. Either a social standing or state of something¨ Hm… that’s very specific haha.

¨Okay. I am sorry for asking stupid question but can you see your status of your body whenever you want? ¨

¨No. Only humans can¨ Oh wow. Okay… well I expected as much but then that’s even better than I thought. That means all monsters have to figure all of the quirks themselves and have to remember everything.

¨How do you know humans can do that Candace? ¨ She seems really pissed when I talk about them but I am too curious.

¨Because they know how this world works¨ Haha of course they do. Humans are greedy for information as always.

¨How are you so certain that’s how it is? ¨ I know for a fact she is really pissed now just because of this small talk. She used one of her legs to smash into ground with such force I had to protect my body with mana. Glad I did. The force of the impact of her single leg was insane. It was way worse than the fire blast the mega elemental was doin. It felt like a mini nuke. Also it started a huge earthquake for few seconds. My mana protected body I knew I took none damage and also weirdly didn’t even get affected by the force of the shockwave. It felt like a breeze. I really love how many uses mana has. I think I will try to experience with a lot more later when I am alone somewhere. I want to do proper magic at some point.

Also the Candace is surprised but seems calmer now.

¨I am sorry Felix. I just… I hate humans. I didn’t mean to hurt you¨

¨It is alright it didn’t hurt that bad. I made sure to protect myself properly¨

¨I see I am glad that is the case. Humans are our natural enemy. They will hunt us down everywhere¨

Hm… seems she had some experience with them already. Oh well. I don’t want to push her so much. Time for the other important question.

¨Alright Candace I am sorry no more talk about the Humans. I was just thinking you could answer me something important. When I evolved at first it was very fast and then I had to do twice as much to evolve again. Is it always like that? ¨

¨Yes that is how it works. I am myself currently very close to be able to evolve again¨ She seems proud and happy. It kinda looks cute.

¨Okay thank you. I don’t think I will ask anything else. I will just go to the floor fifteen as fast as possible right now. Have a nice day and see you soon¨

She really was in hurry she didn’t even bother to reply and disappeared.

Oh well time for me to go deeper.

47