Ch 27. Gearing Up
12.3k 12 169
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I strolled into the blacksmith's shop with a swagger. Not bothered by Vel's ever present rage that I could feel simmering just below his eyes, as he stared at me angrily. 

Immediately going to the expensive area of the display, eliciting some very skeptical looks. 

Seeing Vel approaching, I beckoned over to him like I was calling a shop attendant. 

"What'cher doin' here boy, I know these are too expensive for you." He said while trying to shoo me off with his eyes. 

*Ahem*

"Well Vel, this boy here wants to purchase some armor, the best you have." I said, the gold in my inventory giving me courage. 

Vel spat on the ground. His previous impression of me as a pauper was winning through right now, as he lowered himself to my face. Not interested in playing make-believe with some poor fools delusions. 

"Fuck off boy, these 'er are all worth over 100 gold. Only'ne who can afford that round 'ere is the lord, and you don't look 'em."

I was embarrassed but my new gold and status gave me a face thicker than iron. 

"Why Vel, you're lucky enough to be looking at the lord's new son-in-law." Hastily digging out my bag coins off of my waist before tossing it to him, to which he took the time to open. Still taking sidelong glances at me skeptically, but each piece of gold seeming to bolster my side of the argument. The look in his eyes softening a bit each time.

"This isn't 100 gold" He said, throwing the pouch back to me. "Haven't heard about no weddin', but I'll take your word for now. Come back when you got the gold but I ain't selling cheaper than it's worth."

*Ahem* I cleared my throat a second time. 

"Aren't you interested in why *I*, of all people, would be marrying in lord's daughter?" I continued on resolutely. 

He certainly was, even if he didn't ask. 

Holding out my hand palm opened, I waved the other hand over it like some common street magician or trickster, materializing more coins into my hand with [Inventory] the moment his vision was obscured. 

Vel's eyes popped open, looking at the extra gold I was now holding.

"I'm a mage now. And right now you're looking at the only space mage in the kingdom... now which one of these sets of armor is the best? And I'd like a new sword... and new shield too."

Vel's attitude almost did a 180 as the gears began turning. Realizing that a once in a year opportunity had just shown up at his door. Normally only the lord training up a new knight would inspire such a purchase, which is the only reason they kept such quality gear on hand in the first place. 

I was soon dressed in a flexible scale set, thick leather underneath with ashy dark grey scales on the exterior. The ore obtained from a steel golem apparently, the mana enhanced metal being stronger and lighter than any regular metal. I found myself covered from head to toe, a new helmet with a visor and face-guard, the inside lined with fur from a were-beast to absorb shock. Similarly the scale armor I had was fitted with thick fur on the inside and a plentiful amount around the neck-guard, not only making it plenty warm during these winter months, but offering additional protection by filling the gap between the bodyplate and helm that would have otherwise been left exposed. 

The sword and shield I had was likewise golem steel, being one of the most easily procured high quality metals. The edge was sharp and the blade flexible, but the dull grey of the golem material made the items striking to behold because they did not shine like regular metal despite being impeccably polished. 

"Amazing!"

Belle who had stood patiently outside the shop until this moment was now beaming at my new look, clapping excitedly after seeing that I was dressed very much like an actual knight. Her tail wagged, showing off the pink bowtie now affixed to the end of her cat-tail. 

I stored the items before we headed off. 

There weren't a whole lot of other purchases that could be made with our new gold. I thought about upgrading our house, but given that there weren't really many vacant houses, to begin with it's not like we could move into one easily. We would need to contract out some builders to expand our house, while furnishing the rooms we had already. The only one that could be done in the near term was the furniture, which we shopped for at our leisure. I let Belle pick out her favorites, while only speaking up every once in a while, and before long we had a train of carts loaded with furniture headed off for the farmhouse we called home. 

I would need to reintroduce myself at the guild, and maybe look at getting a rank promotion. As the soon to be son-in-law of the lord, there was no way I would be venturing solo very often, more than likely having a few knights lent to me whenever I went out. Knights here did like to train on monsters so it was actually not a very obtrusive request, they'd be getting actual fighting experience while earning a bit of riches on the side, though they probably wouldn't bring a team to collect bodies if I was there. 

All along the wagon ride Belle was burying herself in my chest, letting out suggestive purrs as she rubbed her cheek against me, clearly doing her best to seduce me. Belle had been sticking closely to me since this morning, perhaps feeling the pressure over having to now compete with my new fiancee. A human woman with a beautiful figure, noble lineage, not to mention also being a mage. I even teased her at the Tailor's shop, getting plenty of reaction. Of course she would never fall out of favor with me, but her jealousy was just too cute, and her personality was like that of a small animal. Being so vulnerable and pure that I just couldn't help myself. Smiling again as I let her show off her affection. 

169