Ch 49. Stay for the night
8.4k 8 115
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This time I could feel myself again. The comfortable support of the softness of a bed. 

Letting my tension flow from me, I tried to calm down from what I had just seen. 

That woman terrified me, and yet despite that lingering fear I felt a smoldering anger growing deep in the core of my being. What she had done to that man, whether it was willingly or not... what she had done to me...

The scene I had just witnessed was so striking and unusual, but the memory was growing hazier by the moment. Scrambling to commit the parts that I could to memory before it faded completely. Left with only bits and pieces of diluted scenes, but the emotions lingered. 

I heard voices, from outside the room. Some familiar. Marcella, Jagen, Cal, Tammy... one seemed to be a doctor, explaining how it was just mana exhaustion I was experiencing, despite the skepticism put forward by Cal. Who appeared concerned I may have touched one of his poison jars inadvertently by digging through his things. 

Seems I really did worry them, feeling a bit of regret at my thoughtless actions. I shouldn't have tried that... I just didn't expect for a simple message to cost that much mana. 

Sitting up in my bed. I looked around the room to orient myself. I was still in Cal's room. 

Making my way over to the door, unsteadily. Opening it to the surprise of everyone. 

"Keaton, are you alright?" Tammy asked me hesitantly.

"See, good as new." The doctor said confidently. To the relief of everyone present. 

"Sorry to worry you..." I said, apologetically. Regretting my own thoughtlessness. 

Belle buried herself in my chest, purring affectionately.

Jagen noticed his daughter's lack of reaction, and nudged her with his arm. 

"I'm glad you're okay." Marcella said to me, hesitantly. Unsure of her words.

"Now that that's done, why don't we have dinner together as a family? I don't know what brought you over Keaton, but it's a great opportunity. I'd love to hear all about your adventures today. I'm sure you and Marcella have a great story to tell. I'll make sure the cooks make you something with a lot of mana in it." He smiled genuinely, while Marcella looked on nervously. 

One of the knights in the background seemed to be waiting for a moment to talk with Jagen alone. Something that was causing Marcella no lack of discomfort, as she shifted her gaze and adjusted her dress. 

"I'd love to." I answered him, genuinely. 

I thought about food, and realized how hungry I was now. Remembering the aurochs I had in my inventory, perhaps it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to give a few to the cooks. I knew they were something of a delicacy after all. And it might be good to let a professional handle the cooking for what would be my first time eating a monster. 

We chatted together with Jagen letting him know about the day's events, while he had maids come in to bring us refreshments. Tammy overwhelmed by the treatment she was receiving, having never in her life been spoiled so. Jagen was curious about her, who I introduced as my concubine. He certainly didn't seem to mind it as much as Marcella did, being the man of high society that he was he naturally knew about such matters.

Jagen excused himself for a second, to which the knight hovering the background took as a cue. Meeting with Jagen as he exited the room, beginning to speak with him, the contents of which I could probably guess. And Marcella looking absolutely pale because of it. 

Before long the maids brought us in for dinner, but the head of the table remained empty, as we all waited for the return of the lord Marcet.

After a few minutes he came in, a look of cold fury on his eyes. As I looked cautiously at Marcella, the focus of his attention, who was cowering in her chair. Jagen always seemed such a doting father, he couldn't be that angry with her, could he?

He took his seat, while the maids brought in food and arranged it in front of us. 

I was extremely hungry by this point, my fatigue, and the smell of mana rich meat stimulating my body's extraordinary appetite. 

We all waited in the tense atmosphere before Jagen bid us to eat. The maids helping portions onto our plates. 

I inspected the auroch dishes with interest, noting the constitution enhancement effect seemed to survive the cooking process.

As I dug into the tender auroch roast, a strange warmth filled my mouth and didn't disappear when I had eaten. It was a flavor beyond flavors, a bite full of life, but it reminded me of something. It was like a watered down version of what I felt every time I enhanced my constitution with the system, only to a far lesser degree. Like a drop in the ocean. 

Tammy seemed to almost choke on her food, the first time she had eaten such a delicacy, while Belle ate voraciously, unbecoming of a lady.

Jagen held his attention on his daughter, but put on a collected facade for the remainder of the dinner. 

When we were finished with our meal, I got up to leave. Saying my goodbyes. 

"Why don't you stay the night, Keaton?" Jagen, asked as I was preparing to go. 

I looked at him curiously, then between Belle and Tammy. 

"That's fine I suppose. Right girls?" 

They just nodded. 

As we left, Marcella got up to leave as well before Jagen stopped her.

"Marcella, you stay. I need to have a word with you." He said sternly, his face losing its composure once again.

She hung her head. 

 

 

115