Ch 126. Auction
2.8k 4 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I would need to have my discussion with Tia later. Whenever I could find her that was. Her lust was a problem, but the jealousy of her scorned lover bothered me. I needed to clear things up before then.

Seeing the time now again I realized there was something I was missing. Wasn't the auction today?

"Where's Cal?" I stopped one of the maids in the hallway.

The maid regarded me as if looking at a god, the reverence they instilled towards 'chosen' like myself. "If you're looking for your friend, he wanted to let you know he's already left."

Must be at the auction already, and I'm late. "Can Belle come?" I heard a voice from the side, her eyes pleading for me to take her along. She must have been awfully lonely by herself for two days, feeling I should bring her along every once in a while. Letting out a yip as I picked her up unexpectedly, carrying her over my shoulder like a barbarian would for his trophy.

"Too late to go by carriage, so we'll head there on foot."

Her tail started to wag excitedly, ready for the adventure.

Minutes later we were soaring from the rooftops of the noble's district, empowering each step with my utmost I leapt from building to building, barely managing to cross the distance. It was good practice not to mention undeniably faster than traveling on the streets. The structure of the city was like that of a labyrinth once you got off the main roads, and being able to view the city from above and travel to a destination in a straight line made navigating much simpler. My [navigation] skill could point me in the right direction and all I needed to do was get us there.

Jumping over some sort of crowd below gathered together in an alleyway, I was thankful for the cover of darkness. What they were doing was none of my business.

Scaling up the back of the auction venue, I crept along the rooftop until I was right in front of the entrance. The same greeters we had seen last time were there along with showgirls for the patrons. Waiting for a carriage to pass by for cover I dropped down behind it, setting Belle down besides me. Straightening her hair briefly from the ride over, thankfully it was silky enough that it laid flat. Not looking too odd despite our rooftop travels.

Stepping around the carriage as Belle held my hand tightly, I waited for the pair in front of us to enter before approaching. The greeter's perplexed at the sight of customers who had seemingly emerged from thin air rather than from a carriage, and my date for the night was a beastkin no less. Well dressed as she was and looking more like a noble lady than a slave, only making it more strange.

A few seconds passed before their eyes lit up in recognition, finally connecting who I was.

"Mr. Keaton, we weren't sure if you would make it. Your friend came earlier by himself, I can send you up if you would like, the auction just started a few minutes ago."

"I'd appreciate that, thank you." Giving a smile, and watching as the young man beckoned over one of the showgirls before handing them a token. "Room 16"

The girl had us follow her, her bunny outfit and perky ass seemed to be inviting me to stare as we followed along behind, walking through winding hallways before ascending up a set of stairs. Eliciting a gulp from me as I could swear I could see the outline of her pussy through the tight-fitting costume she had on. Clearly nothing underneath but her bare skin.

Honestly, what had come over me. Ever since Tia, I felt my lust had been out of control. I had held back in the bath earlier, but it felt like I was barely able to contain myself from jumping on this girl now.

Shaking off the thought as I clutched at the pyramid in my coat pocket, something about it managed to soothe my thoughts.

When we reached our room, the showgirl handed me the stone tablet she had been given. The one with the number 16 engravened into it with glowing runes.

"Use this to place any bids, just write your number with this chalk and the order will be recorded." She bowed again before heading off, giving me a good view of her breasts down the costume's open collar.

Stepping through the door to our suite with a sigh, as Belle followed along. Noting with passive approval my budding interest in other girls. She really didn't mind? So long as I kept her by my side she seemed to even be encouraging my infidelity. Was it a beastkin status thing? Having a strong male with many women seemed to be a big deal from what I could tell.

Our room was essentially a box, one outfitted with one-sided glass that allowed us to look over the gallery without our identities being visible from the outside. The room was furnished with the usual luxurious furniture I had come to expect, and Cal was seated in the corner watching the bidding in a semi-interested manner.

"Did I miss anything?" I asked, seeing his eyes drift over to our arrival.

"Nothing much at all. They're starting out with items only a wastrel would buy. Jade serpent bone jewelery, Snow mink pelt coats. Fashion items, essentially."

I watched as the auctioneers wheeled off the snow mink pelts wardrobe to their designated purchaser, they looked quite good if I had to say myself, but each of them was going for 25 gold. More than I had paid for my entire wardrobe, clearly this was a rare and limited luxury item. Identification showing that the item appeared to have magical influence which increased resistance to cold weather, beyond what a normal coat would provide. Some of the monster's magic had been preserved even in death.

"For our next item, we have a speciality brought up from the triumvirate. Not from the swamps of Dabora, nor from the jungles of Birama, but from the glistening white shores of Jumaya. Always a popular item, always in demand, I give to you... a mermaid's heart. Any water mages in the audience must be salivating by now but you won't have an easy time, everyone's heard the old saying after all. The key to immortality is through a mermaid's heart. Anyone with money is going to want this one. These slippery fish are as hard to catch as they are dangerous, and this here is the freshest material you'll get aside from catching one off the beaches yourself. Starting bid, 500 gold."

I nearly choked when I heard this was as expensive as my own items, giving it an appraisal to see why. Increased lifespan by one year and a permanent increased affinity with water magic. No wonder. I only knew the basics about magic, but I knew enough that affinity was the major factor behind what magic you were capable of using. Most commoners didn't have an affinity above 1 or 2%, but the baseline for mages started at about 10%. Anything under that and you were basically magically inept, only by consuming expensive reagents like these and through longterm study was it possible to raise your own affinity.

I was tempted by the description, mostly out of curiosity, but seeing it quickly rise in price to over three thousand, my thoughts of competing quickly faded.

41