Ch. 16 – Casting My First Spell?!
2.6k 9 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fae, looking at Maven with concern in her eyes, asked, “Are you okay? Do we need to stop the lessons for now? You’ve been looking up like the world is ending for a while now…”

Maven mustered herself, swearing to ignore the overly excitable divine disappointments. Remembering the sensation of moving her magic power around, she continued the practice of collecting and compressing that power in different areas of the body.

“I’m okay, Ms. Fae. Let’s keep going with the lessons, I managed to feel the magic and move it around - what’s the next step?” Maven said to Fae, eager to continue the practical lessons. Who wouldn’t be excited to start practicing magic and flinging spells?

Pleased with Maven’s motivated attitude, Fae said, “I’m happy to hear that! Since you managed to succeed so quickly, let’s move to most rudimentary of spells - creating an artificial elemental spirit.”

Maven tilted her head in confusion, asked, “An artificial spirit? What’s that?”

Fae smiled kindly, “You successfully moved magic around your body and collected it a specific location - right? Creating an artificial spirit is pretty similar, except you do it outside your body. Simply push your magic into the air, combine it with the ambient mana in the environment, and compress it. Don’t try to do anything and definitely don’t impress any sort of image or purpose into the magic.”

“Why not?”

“Well that’s how you’d cast other spells. All spells are the result of the interplay between magic and mana, given direction and form by an outside force. Humans supply that outside force with a healthy dose of willpower and imagination - using their personal magic power as a force multiplier. The more magic someone has, the greater that multiplier is.” Fae’s face turned serious as she continued, “With as much magic as you have, Saintess, you have the potential to wield magic of incalculable scale - so we must be careful. You’re just a child, let’s take baby steps."

Maven nodded as the goddesses’ voices rang out in her mind. Henna and Kannon were far too excited to restrain themselves any further.

《This is the time, Maven! Use this opportunity practicing with artificial spirits to create us some familiars.》 Kannon said excitedly, her eyes glittering at the thought of seeing the world below.

《Exactly. When you’re following those priestess’ instructions, just make sure to use that odd new attribute of yours and try to infuse the spirits with a fragment of the Divine Blessings we gave you. It’ll all work out!》 Henna said in a calm voice, but the sheen in her eyes gave away her true feelings.

Are you stupid? You’re stupid, aren’t you? How in the world am I supposed to do that?! Maven couldn’t help retorting to the Goddesses.

《Imagination, of course! You grew up in another world, your imagination should leaps and bounds above your average citizen here on Avalon. Use the power of television!》 Kannon said.

Maven, giving up, decided to just do as she’s told. Closing her eyes, she focused on pushing her unique blend of magic outside of her body. Light and Dark, Life and Death - combine all these together and resonate it with the mana in the air.

Fae’s eyebrows shot up as she watched Maven work. From her perspective, all she could see were two shimmering, multicolored orbs hovering above Maven’s hand. An ordinary artificial spirit is just a weak conglomeration of a specific element. Create a wind spirit and you could use it to get a small breeze. Do this with fire and you get a small flame. Do this with light and all you’d get was a weak, flickering luminescent orb. Rather than an unimpressive shimmer, Fae watched on in awe as the light in Maven’s hand grew brighter and brighter - until it became blinding in its radiance.

Even Maven herself couldn’t look straight directly at the spirits she was creating. All she could do was funnel more and more of her bottomless power into the two orbs in her hands as they swelled up to the size of ostrich eggs.

《Here it comes!》 Kannon shouted.

《Now, Maven, picture infusing a piece of our powers into each of these eggs. We’ll take care of everything from there.》 Henna said while egging Maven on.

Thinking it was too late to stop this runaway train, Maven continued doing as instructed. As she pictured embedding a small fragment of Henna’s blessing into the egg on the right and Kannon’s blessing into the egg on the left, light exploded from each egg and painted out the vision of the three women in the room.

*Crack*

With their vision gone, Maven, Fae, and Shayna heard the sound of something breaking free from its shell.

96