Chapter 4 – Heart to Heart
139 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey Christine.”  Erica said as she walked into the kitchen.  “You wanted to talk?”

 

Christine looked up to see Erica dressed for the first time in normal earth clothes - a pair of blue jeans that hugged her legs, with one of her bras and a midriff showing t-shirt covering her breasts and chest.  Her hair was tied back with one of Christine’s scrunchies and was left loose to dry.  She looked amazing... Damn, I’m kinda jealous, she thought.  She’s drop dead gorgeous.  “You look great, kiddo.  How you feeling after a shower?”

 

“Great - better after using the toilet.  Gods I missed toilet paper.”  Erica laughed.  “In all seriousness, though, I started bleeding and had to borrow one of your pads.”

 

“Oh!  No worries.  You okay?”  Christine asked. 

 

“Me?  Yeah - I’m fine.  It’s gross and smelly and I feel kinda crampy, but from what I’ve heard on TV and from you and sis, I could’ve done a lot worse my first time around.   What did you want to talk about?”

 

Christine sighed.  Here it comes.  “You, kiddo.  We have a lot to think about and not much time - stuff I think you’ve been avoiding.”

 

“Huh?  Like what?”

 

“Well for starters, how can you even decide to go back to Mercia if you still know where Tiamat is - that’s the whole reason we were trying to get you home - so you wouldn’t lead people there.  If we stop Vargas, and you go back - the problem just starts all over again.”

 

What the... oh hell, I didn’t tell them.  D’oh!  “No – it’ll work.  The goddess said if I wanted to go back shed erase the location of earth from my mind, so I won’t put Mercia at risk.  It’s cool - I just forgot to tell everyone; I was so distracted that we were going back like that same day... and I was surprised she came to me again.  It caught me off guard.”

 

“That’s fine.  Do you want to go back?  Wait - don’t answer that yet - answer this instead.  If you plan on going back, is there any point in even asking your sister to bother changing your ID - or should we just leave you as Eric, MIA?”

 

“Oh jeez.  Good point.   I don’t know.  I’ve been thinking about where home is, and what I want to do with myself and my future a lot.  I don’t fit in here too well - and although I think I could live here and be happy, I think I’d be happier in Mercia.  I want to keep learning magic, and explore their world.   I guess Earth has a lot to offer too - hell, I’ll be one of the .01% if I stay - but I just don’t know.  I was going to decide by the end of our mission, not before.  It sucks that it’s inconvenient, but I can’t decide yet.  At least I hadn’t planned on it.  I need to talk to Maeve and Kai first, for a while.”

 

“Okay...  How about another question you’ve avoided.  How are you doing, emotionally?”

 

“I... uh.  I’m good.  I’ve been getting used to my new me - and I really like it, even if I do sometimes get a little panicky when I experience something new or unusual.  For example, I thought I’d be embarrassed to wear this bra and t-shirt - but they feel nice and I kind of feel sexy - which is something I’m definitely NOT used to, but starting to like.   I’ve... kissed Kai a couple of times and it was really, really nice - and I... took a while in the shower alone and that was crazy ridiculous.   I’m happy - and I’m taking some time to adjust, but I am adjusting.  Does that help?”

 

Christine smiled.  “A lot, yeah.  I’m glad kiddo - I was worried you were still in denial a bit.   You need to decide if you’re going back or not before you practice kissing with Kai again - cause otherwise you’re kind of leading him on and friends don’t do that to friends.   Seriously - don’t you think he’s worried you won’t be coming home with him?  He doesn’t know you can come back safely either.  He probably thinks this is goodbye.  So ask yourself - are you prepared to NEVER see Kai, Maeve and Mercia again?   If the answer isn’t 100 per cent YES, you should probably plan to go back with them.  You seemed to be able to fit in there - I couldn’t, but you were really into it. You seemed really happy learning woodscraft and learning magic, and something tells me that isn’t gonna happen here, Erica.”

 

“Do you think he might stay here if I do?”  Erica asked.  She didn’t hold out much hope - she kind of felt the answer to that already.  Kai could never deal with her world.   He couldn’t.

 

“No kiddo, I don’t think he would - and is it fair for you to ask him to?   Would he be happy here?  Think about it carefully Erica.”

 

Erica sat quietly for a long time, thinking.  Could she never see Christine and Angie again?  Never see Earth again?   She thought of her memories of Earth - of the fear and pain her dad Anders inflicted on her, of the months and months that blended into years of living on the street in poverty and squalor, the years of terrifying voices that troubled him almost to death, and the death of his friends Norm and Dave.  What did earth have to offer?  She compared those feelings, with the feelings shed had from her last six weeks on Mercia... she had an epic adventure, learned magic, met a goddess three times, met more than one magical creature, explored part of an alien world full of wonders, and become a kind of folk hero...  And she made some good friends in Sir Andred, Maeve and Kai.   And then there was Kai...  Could she say goodbye to him forever?   She didn’t think so.   I’m in love with Mercia... I’m in love with...   “I think I need to go back to Mercia, Christine.”  Erica said with a sad smile.  “Do you think Angie will be mad?”

 

“I think she won’t understand at first - but well help her understand.  Or try, okay?  We can’t MAKE her understand - but she’ll be happy for you, once she’s over being confused, I think... you did get cured of the voices - which she’ll be thrilled to hear.  She’ll be happy you’re finally happy.”

 

“Thanks.  Was there anything else?”

 

“Yeah... take these.”  She said, tossing Erica a box of latex condoms.  “In case you try anything more than kissing, at least these might help with unexpected pregnancies or things like STDs if they have them in Mercia.  You do have to worry about that sort of thing now.”

 

Erica blushed bright red as she took the box of condoms.  “I don’t have words to describe what I feel at this moment. Christine.  Thanks?”

 

Christine smirked.  “You think this isn’t weird for me too?  Just be happy and be safe, okay?”  She sighed and stood up.  “Why don’t you go pack those things in your stuff, before Maeve and the others play twenty questions again and get you really embarrassed.  I think you should tell them your decision about Mercia and what the goddess said too.”

 

“Heh... I will at dinner.  I promise.”  Erica got up to put away her new gift.  “How long have you been waiting to do this to me?”  She asked, motioning to the condom box.

 

“Since we got to Kai’s cabin.”  Christine said, smirking.  “Four weeks.  Good things come to those who wait...”

 

“Har de har har.  No really - thanks.  I have no idea when they’ll be used, but thanks.”  With that Erica disappeared upstairs and Christine followed to get a list of acceptable toppings for their pizzas.  

 

When they got upstairs, Sir Andreds door was open, and they could see him sitting on the edge of the bed, praying, but he stopped immediately when he heard them, and stood up to get a good look at them.  He still stood his usual five-ten, and still showed his broad stocky stance - but it was certainly odd seeing him in jeans and a t-shirt rather than a doublet and pants all covered in chainmail.   It kind of opened Erica’s eyes a lot... 

 

“Wow, Sir Andred - you look great!”  Erica said, meaning the compliment.

 

Sir Andred blushed a bit seeing her, and smiled.  “You look wonderful as well, my dear.  That bath and a nap was just what I needed.  Your house is wonderful, Christine.”

 

“Thanks, Sir Andred.   I need to wake the others.  I’ll be right back.”

 

“So I suppose well be planning our mission tomorrow, or the next day.”  Erica suggested.  “Unless something more important bites us in the ass.  I mean, becomes far more urgent,” she said correcting herself.  “I keep forgetting a lot of what we say doesn’t actually mean what we say.  Sorry.”

 

“It’s alright.  We’re starting to get used to it - and some phrases I think, are universal.”  Andred laughed.   “Could you tell me sometime what it was like to meet the goddess Askeline?”

 

“Sure, Sir Andred.  I’d be happy to, but I’ve got an announcement or two to make after dinner too - so could you let me get that done first?”  Erica asked.

 

“Sure.”

 

Christine returned, bringing a slowly waking Kai and Maeve with her.  “Great - were all here.  I need to know what you want on your pizza... and before you ask, it’s a flat bread dough covered with crushed tomatoes, cheese, meat, and vegetables, cooked in a very hot oven and is eaten with your hands.”

 

“Meat, Cheese, and Vegetables sound good.”  Kai said.  “Or do we get to pick, because your foods and vegetables might not be the same.  We could ask what each topping is...?”   Even though he was talking to Christine, it was obvious he was having trouble keeping his eyes off of Erica and her new clothes.

 

“No... you know what?  I’ll decide.   I’m ordering chicken and salads too.  Dinner will be in about an hour - so why don’t we all go down to the rec room in the basement and talk - Erica has some important things to share with us.”

 

“Oh?”  Maeve said.  “This sounds important.”

 

“It kinda is, at least for me.  I’ll tell you all when we get downstairs.”  Erica said.

 

The others nodded, and followed, taking seats on the leather sofa, while Erica took a recliner.  Maeve looked pretty smart in her jeans and blouse, and Kai was quite handsome in his clothes as well - he looked like a normal Earth person - a far cry from the handsome highlander he appeared when they went to church that time in Wethom.   She smiled.   “When we’re done all this - when either Vargas is stopped, killed - or we’ve failed and have to pursue him home, I’m coming with you.”

 

“But you...”  Kai interrupted, when Maeve shushed him down.

 

“Ssh - I want to hear what she says...”

 

“Kai...Maeve what I was trying to say is that I was so caught up in talking to the goddess... AGAIN... that I forgot to tell you all she said if I chose to come back to Mercia at the end of our quest, she would erase the location of Earth from my mind forever, so I’d never put your home at risk again.  And I’m okay with that.  My future is on Mercia, not here.  It’s with my friends... with you guys.  Mercia feels more like home to me than here ever did - and I want to go back.”

 

“Do you understand what that means?”  Maeve said.  “You’d never see all these wonders, the wealth, your family or Christine ever again?   I understand your family has money - on Mercia you’d have to work as much as anyone else, and you don’t have a great number of skills.  Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah, I am.  Very sure.”  Erica said, staring Maeve down.  “I could live here if I had to... I will be happy on Mercia.  That’s the difference.  I’m going with you.  But not before the criminal scumbags who murdered my only friends suffer justice.”

 

“I would hear what happened, Erica.”  Sir Andred asked.

 

“Some street ruffians - eight of them - burned my two best friends alive, and nearly killed me - all for a moment of depraved fun.  We were no threat, and no risk.  They simply wanted someone to hurt.”  Erica’s face was grim.  She could still hear their dying screams.

 

“Of course, you’ll have our help.”  Kai offered.  “Whatever you need.”  She’s coming back, she’s coming back, she’s coming back...  Kai couldn’t help it - he repeated it like a mantra, and the painful clamp that had settled around his heart began to loosen...  I have no idea why she wants to come back, having seen her homeland - but thank Askeline for this gift!  I will treasure every moment!

 

Erica smiled.  “Thanks. They belong to a local gang - their symbol is a pool of blood.  I’ll let you know if I see one.”

 

The others nodded assent, and Christine came down.  “Dinner’s ordered – it’ll be here in an hour.”

 

“You mean you CAN have food delivered by magical carriages to you house without having to lift a finger?  Askeline’s Bow, I thought I was joking and being ironic... and the two of you let me believe it!”  Kai said, quite surprised.

 

“I didn’t have the heart to wreck your joke by telling you it was true.  Sorry.”  Erica said shyly. 

 

 Kai looked a little embarrassed.  “Harumph!”

 

Maeve laughed.  “It’s no big deal, Kai - at least they don’t have a magical device that cleans their house for them!”

 

Erica and Christine tried to keep their smiles from showing...  Christine’s Roomba, a robotic vacuum cleaner, was programmed to turn on and clean the floor at 3am.   They didn’t have the heart to tell Maeve that either.

 

“I need to take some time for personal stuff, before we start hunting Vargas - I need to tell my sister I’m alive, for one thing - and I was wondering if you guys would come with me?   I know you were pretty freaked out by the noise and all the strange stuff today - but it would be a lot of moral support, and might help convince her I’m not completely insane or just lying.”

 

“Sure, Erica.  I’d be happy to.  I’d like to meet your sister.”  Kai said, smiling - but still somewhat apprehensive about going back outside.

 

Maeve nodded, agreeing as well.  “I’ll do it, if you like.  I assume you’d like us to remain out of the conversation until needed?”

 

“It might be for the best.  At least until we break the ice... gah - I mean get over the tension of being away and coping with my changes.   Stupid language.”  Erica said, frustrated.   “I also need to know if my father is alive or dead - he was very I’ll when I left.”

 

Maeve muttered to herself.  “If it’s the same man I saw in your mind, Erica, then good riddance.”  No one else seemed to have heard her comment, so she didn’t repeat it... but she did bring up one other topic...  “On the topic of forgetting to tell us what the goddess said to you, is there anything else she said that you forgot to tell us?   It might be Important.”

 

“Ummm...”  Erica thought a bit.  “She mentioned that anyone who helped me stop Vargas would have a long life, which was fruitful and full of joy.   Those were the words she used, I think.   She said I was always supposed to be the Dreamer that woke - me, Eric, not this girl - and she said it didn’t matter if I’d died here on Earth before going to Mercia with Maeve, I would have woken up in her - as me - anyway.  It’s like I’m part of both worlds kind of, I think.  She said I was brave, heroic, kind, and accepting of change... and that it was time for change in the worlds of Mankind.”

 

“Not to be blunt, Erica, but she also called you her daughter, at least twice.”  Maeve said. 

 

“I thought that was generic, like when a priest calls the flock my children...  I didn’t think she meant it literally.   Did she?”   Erica was looking concerned - with good reason; she was remembering what happened to the last person who claimed to be the child of a God.

 

Sir Andred nodded.  “She did say that, didn’t she?  I have to admit I don’t know if she meant it literally or not Erica - but you might want to consider the fact she called you her daughter and us her children - why not call ALL of us her children, unless she wanted to make a specific exception?   She might have meant it literally... We don’t really know who the parents of your current body are - the records were umm... lost... when the House of Broken Dreams burned down.”

 

“You mean, when you lit it on fire, don’t you Sir Andred?”  Erica asked.  “Now we’ll never know.”

 

Maeve smirked.  “You could just ask her next time she drops by for a chat - were going to see her at least once more on the way home, right?”

 

“I would except I’ve heard some wisdom... Don’t ever ask a question you don’t really want the answer to.”  Erica said glumly.  “And I’m not sure if I want to know the answer to that question.  It’s probably all just mistaken assumptions anyway.”

 

The others nodded and shook their heads - the alternative was pretty ludicrous - but Sir Andred wondered privately if there might be something to it.   Erica moved to sit down next to Kai and reached out for his hand, holding it, and everyone heard Christine approaching from upstairs. 

 

“Hey guys - announcements over?”

 

“Yeah – Erica’s coming back to Mercia, She forgot to tell us things from the goddess, and she’s smart enough to know when NOT to ask a question.”  Maeve said.

 

“Cool.  All I want is for Erica to be happy - after you save the world and all that.”  Christine said.

 

“You’re not coming with us?”  Maeve asked.  

 

Christine thought a minute before answering.  “No.  I’m not.  I’m not an adventurer - I hate danger.  I don’t want to see more magic...  I want to get my life back in order, and not be blasted to bits by dragon-men or evil monsters.   I’ll help you all I can while you’re in Toronto, give you a place to stay and help you figure out what’s going on - but I’m not going after Vargas.   I don’t even know why you’d want me – I’d slow you down and be a liability anyway.   Besides, as soon as I surface, there will be cops crawling all over this place, wanting to talk to me about the Al Qaeda attack at the Neilson Clinic, and the murders outside my house.   I can deflect the cops from asking about you - but only if I stay behind to cover your retreat.”

 

“What!?!  Al Qaeda?!  Is that what they told everyone?  What a load of crap!”  Erica said, fuming.  “Does Al Qaeda have eight foot tall impervious demons that eat police officers?  NOPE.  What a bunch of liars.”

 

“Of course they lied, Erica.  What are they going to tell people?  Demons are real?   We as a culture can’t even admit God might be real - so how in the hell can they go to the families of the dead officers and say demons did it.   The world would freak out, totally.”  Christine answered.

 

“You know, the denial of evil is very similar to the denial of good.  If you deny the fact that evil can be incarnate, you have to deny the fact that good can be incarnate as well.  You asked once why does our god not appear before us anymore?  Christine.”  Sir Andred said.  “Perhaps he does - and everyone lies about it, to protect your people’s ignorance.  He might have been here all along - and everyone instead lies to themselves and says he was never here, to protect the limited way they see the world.  How sad.”

 

Christine looked at Sir Andred, glaring.  How dare he lecture us!  She thought.  He knows nothing of our home or religion.   He’s been here less than a day and ...  And... and he might be right, dammit.   Christine stopped glaring.  “Maybe.  I don’t know.  It would be pretty pathetic if the world did this to itself, wouldn’t it?”

 

Andred only nodded.  “It would.  Perhaps I am mistaken?”

 

“I hope so.”  Christine answered sadly.  Maybe it was our fault all along - and all that righteous wrath I spewed about how it’s not fair their god’s love them and ours doesn’t was just bitterness and misunderstanding.  How ironic...  The further we advance, the more that we learn, the further we fall from the truth.  Because we’d rather accept a lie as truth, instead of see the truth - because the truth is frightening.  It is sad.

 

A few moments passed as everyone tried to take in what had just passed between Christine and Sir Andred, when a loud knock was heard on the door upstairs.  Erica brightened up!  “That should be dinner!  Where’s your purse?  I’ll go get it!”

 

“Can’t - no cash.  I used plastic.  I’ll get it.  Come with me and give me a hand, okay?”  Christine said, getting up and heading to the door.  “We’ll be right back guys - so wait for us here.”

 

As they rushed to the front door together, Erica was glad for the change of topic... Religion was so damn touchy when you had Christine, a sort of lapsed catholic, mixed with Sir Andred - a holy warrior, and Maeve, a spy for a foreign church.  Maybe religious discussions should stay off the docket for the time being?  She wondered.

 

The delivery guy at the door was an average young man - about 18-20 years old, with a lightly pimply complexion and short brown hair.  He wore a typical delivery uniform for KFC, and had one of the ubiquitous heat-keeping food bags that delivery persons had all over North America.  He smiled at them both - but really smiled at Erica.   “That’ll be $65.43, ma’am.”

 

“Geez - it keeps getting more expensive all the time.”  Christine pulled out her Visa and paid, leaving the guy a decent tip.   As he headed down the walkway, a second car pulled up with a neon Pizza Pizza sign on its roof.   “Erica, take the chicken downstairs and get everyone started - I’ll follow with the pizza and drinks in a few minutes, once I’ve paid.”

 

“Sure thing.”  Erica couldn’t help but slaver a bit... it had been over two years since shed even smelled Kentucky Fried Chicken, and she remembered really liking it when she was younger.   “I can’t wait to try some,” she thought.  “And pizza.  I thought I’d never have pizza again.  This is awesome!”

 

“Hey guys!  Dinner!”  Erica said as she came into Christine’s rec room. 

 

“Great - I’m starving.”  Kai said.  “It smells good - what is it?”

 

“A bunch of spiced chicken pieces fried up in hot oil.  It’s called KFC and it’s really good.”   Erica handed out plates from Christine’s kitchen, along with cutlery, and opened up the salads and chicken bucket and french fries.

 

“What are these?”  Sir Andred asked, pointing at the french fries. 

 

“They’re fried potatoes - we call them french fries - don’t ask me why.  They’re really good with that gravy on them, and some salt.”

 

“Salt is expensive - how can you afford to give it away so easily?”  Andred asked.

 

“Ummm... Sir Andred, 10 pounds of salt here costs about the same as one of your silver crescents - or about five dollars.   Pepper costs about six times that - more if it’s high quality pepper - but either one is really cheap.  It’s because we have machines that can go anywhere in the world in about 24 hours - so far away lands where spices grow are not as far away as they seem.”

 

“So we don’t have to be sparing with the spices here?”  He asked, suddenly very pleased.  “Excellent news.  Please pass the salt.”

 

The four hungry friends were still digging in, when Christine came down with the pizzas.  The next hour and a bit was expended with eating, and describing what some of the foods they saw were.  It was a fun feast - and by the end all five of them were stuffed to the gills, and precious little was left over.  One large bucket of chicken, three salads, one fries and gravy and two extra large pizzas - gone.   There were three pieces of pizza left for the next day, which Erica claimed ‘for Science!’, whatever that meant - she wouldn’t explain. 

 

As they sat digesting, Erica started looking through Christine’s DVD collection.  “Do you mind if I throw one on?”  She asked.  “I promised Kai Id show him a movie.”

 

Christine saw the movie Erica held up...  “The Fellowship of the Ring.   Sure - go ahead.  It’s probably the only series of movies that I own that will seem almost like home to them anyway.  And I can show them what I meant by friendly elves.”

 

“Friendly elves?  I’ve never heard of such a thing.”  Kai snorted. 

 

I don’t know Kai - that elf princess that wanted to have you join her harem seemed pretty friendly to me...”  Maeve snickered.  “If I hadn’t disenchanted you before...”

 

“Enough!”  Kai said, turning red.  “Please - it’s not ...  Not now, please, Maeve.”

 

“Okay my friend.  I didn’t mean to upset you.”  Maeve said, a little sorry.  Perhaps I went too far - he is sweet on Erica after all.  “Perhaps this movie will have something to interest all of us?”

 

“I hope so - it’s three hours long.”  Erica said.  “So anyone needing the bathroom should go now.”

 

After the inevitable lineup at the bathroom, Christine hit play on the DVD, and they all settled back to watch the movie.   Erica was on the leather sofa next to Kai, with Maeve on the far side of the sofa giving them plenty of privacy.  Sir Andred was on a recliner, happy to discover it moved, and he could put his feet up - and Christine was doing the same.   As the introduction credit’s rolled, their Mercian friends gasped in awe, amazed at the picture and sound Christine’s magnificent home theater system could put out.   As the movie played out, Erica and Christine were happy to see the other three completely enrapt with the film, watching intently and totally absorbed.

 

Kai obviously loved the shire - and all three were worried and terrified of the mysterious ring-wraiths that pursued the little hobbits. When the movie spun off to Rivendell, Erica pointed out Arwen, the elf princess.  “I always wanted to be her when I grew up.”  She said shyly.  “I think she’s really pretty.”

 

Kai just put his arm around her and gave her a hug.  “I dunno, Erica.” He whispered in her ear.  “I think you’re a lot prettier.  No comparison, really.”  

 

Erica blushed, and nestled into Kais arm.  Kai felt warm, and he smelled nice - like spice and a bit of sweat - and Erica wished she could just melt into his arms and stay there.  He thinks I’m prettier?  She’s a supermodel!  Eeeeeee!   Her internal squee of happiness lasted almost until the Fellowship reached Moria... 

 

Her friends got very serious as the Fellowship went deeper - and at the coming of the Balrog, and Gandalfs sacrifice, Sir Andred paled in terror - as did Maeve and Kai.  “Can such things exist?”  Maeve shuddered.   “That wizard was very brave.”

 

“Not here, not as far as I know...  Even in Middle Earth they were extremely rare.”  Erica said.  “It’s not real, you know.  It’s just a play that we’re watching.”

 

“Maybe,” said Sir Andred.  “But it seems real enough to us.   This middle-earth seems like a place I would like to see one day, if only for a short time.   I think if that thing - the Balrog - was what Vargas had  summoned, all of us would already be dead.”

 

The others agreed, and they watched the movie to its end...  The breaking of the Fellowship, and the taking of Merry and Pippin.   All of them agreed it that if this is what a movie was like, movies were wonderful things indeed!   Erica just stayed nestled with Kai, cuddled up to him, happy and content - and he didn’t seem eager to move her away either.  Somewhere in Moria, Christine had fallen asleep and the others hadn’t noticed enough to wake her...

 

“We must see the end of this quest before we return home!”  Sir Andred stated plainly.  “May we see more if there is time?”

 

“I don’t see why not.”  Erica said.  “But it should wait until another day.”

 

“Agreed.”  Maeve said.  “The hour is late, and someone should wake Christine so she can sleep in her own bed, instead of this chair.”

 

“To be fair, Maeve, these recliners are very comfortable.”  Sir Andred said.  “I would like to try and find one when I get home, in fact.   I’d get one for my home.”

 

Maeve laughed.  “Indeed!  I didn’t know you enjoyed such creature comforts,” Sir Andred.

 

Sir Andred blushed a bit.  “I do enjoy a spot of luxury from time to time.  I am not made of saddle-leather and steel plate, even if that is my customary garb.”  He stood up, and shook Christine awake.  “Christine, the movie is done.  You should sleep in your bed.”

 

“Rnngh?”  Christine groaned.  “Over?  Did you guys like it?”

 

“We liked it very much.”  Kai said.  “But the hour is late.  We should all be to bed.”

 

“Okay.”  Christine said.  “I’ll see you all in the morning.”

 

Sir Andred went upstairs with Christine.  Maeve lingered a moment, then followed, leaving Kai and Erica alone.

 

“Erica, I need to talk to you a bit before we sleep.  Is that alright?”  Kai asked.

 

Erica disentangled herself from Kai, and turned to face him.  “Sure, Kai.  What’s up?”

 

“I...”  Now that the moment had come, he looked shy and embarrassed.  “I believe I am...  I care about you a great deal, Erica, and I wanted you to know how sad I was, how sick in my heart I was when I thought you could never come back to Mercia - that I would never see you again.”

 

He... he loves me? 

 

“I wanted to tell you, that when you said you wanted to come back to Mercia - that it was where you could be happy, I was deliriously happy - but I didn’t understand then why you would want to give up all these wonders and all this wealth.  I confess I still don’t - but I am glad for it all the same.  I want to spend all the time I can with you, if you feel the same way...  How do you feel about me, Erica?”

 

Erica stumbled over the words - she was overcome by emotion, a bit of confusion, and not a small amount of fear... Relationships, if that is what he was asking for, were scary for someone who’d never had one of this sort before.   “Kai...  I do have feelings for you too - I have to admit, I’m not sure what they really are – I’ve never had a relationship before to compare.  When I’m near you, my heart gets fluttery and I feel weak - and I loved having your arms around me this evening.  I feel safe near you, and I worry when you’re upset.  I’m a little scared - I don’t know where this will lead...  I’m in totally unknown territory, Kai - but if it helps I want to explore it - just maybe... slowly?”

 

Kai smiled, and took her hands in is.  “I think I understand.”  Kai said.  “Would you join me tonight, in bed?   To sleep - not anything else, mind you - the beds in this mansion are luxurious, but few.   I’d not have you have to rest on the couch, unless that’s what you prefer.   I... I just don’t want to be apart from you.”

 

“I... I don’t know.”  Erica said, stammering.  Oh my gods!  Can I do this?  Her heart fluttered at Kai’s offer, but she was scared all the same...  I’d like to think the Erica that came back from Mercia was... is ... braver than the poor Eric that went there, she thought.  I’ve day dreamed about something like this - so why am I balking?   She waffled over the decision for a moment, until a warm, reassuring feeling from deep within her helped calm her... Almost as if it said without words there is nothing to be afraid of, little one.  She looked at Kai, and squeezed his hands.  I’d like that very much, Kai.  I’m nervous though.

 

“I understand.”  Kai said, smiling.  “I’ll behave, I promise.”

 

“I believe you.”  Erica answered.  I just hope I behave.  She thought.

 

*           *           *

 

Maeve came upstairs, and quietly grabbed her things from one of bedrooms, and knocked quietly on Sir Andreds door.  “Can I come in, Sir Andred?”  Maeve whispered.

 

“Of course.”  He replied.  “I am decent.”

 

Maeve came in, with her pack.  “I was wondering if I could bunk with you tonight.  I have a suspicion that Kai might want a room to himself, and I’m inclined to make sure he gets it – I’ve robbed him of any chance at finding a love with all the adventures I’ve dragged him on - and now that he’s sweet on Erica, I don’t want to be in his way.”

 

Sir Andred considered a moment.  “You can sleep here, Maeve - but I won’t be joining you.  I swore a long time ago to take no other woman to my bed, save my wife, these five years gone to the goddess - and I don’t intend to break that vow.  I think, perhaps I will see if Christine’s recliner is as comfortable to sleep in as I suspect it may be.”

 

“Are you sure, Sir Andred?  I didn’t mean to drive you out of your bedroom.  I could easily take the couch.”   Maeve said.

 

“Nonsense.  You know as well as I that you’ve slept on floors and on rocks more often than you’ve slept with pillows and sheets.  Take the bed while you have the chance - who knows what troubles will befall us another day.  The recliner will suit me fine - and if I don’t sleep well, I’ll take the bed tomorrow, and you may take the couch.”

 

Maeve laughed.  “As you wish, Sir Andred.  That sounds like a fair bargain.”

 

Sir Andred rose from bed, and gathered his things.  “I shall see you in the morning, Maeve.”  Then, he left for the basement.  

 

Maeve was left standing in Andreds room, a little bemused.  Chivalry?  Perhaps - perhaps it’s just one soldier giving a favor to another?   I could see it either way.   Maeve prepared herself for sleep.

 

*           *           *

 

Erica followed Kai upstairs to his room, hesitating a moment at the door, then stepping inside and shutting it behind her.  She had brought her bags up from the basement with her - and set them down across from Kai’s side of the bed, where his things were.  Am I ready for this?  Gods, I hope so.  I don’t want to look like an idiot.  Erica thought.

 

Kai grabbed his pajama bottom that Christine gave him, and shook his head.  Back home most people only wear clothes to bed when it’s cold - but here they have special garments just for it.  Odd.  “Do you think you’ll miss a lot of things from your world here, Erica?”

 

“Yeah, probably - but I think it’ll be just as fun discovering new things to like about Mercia.  To be honest, I felt safer and more at peace those two weeks we spent in your cabin in the woods, than I ever did in my father’s mansion.   He’s got a lot of money, but I’ve not really grown up with it - so I don’t think I’ll miss not having it.”  Erica smiled, then twirled her finger in a circle.  “Would you mind turning around while I change, Kai?”

 

“Not at all, Erica.”  Kai turned around, and Erica quickly got changed - as did Kai, changing into his nightclothes as well at the same time.  

 

Erica nervously crawled into bed with Kai - who simply climbed in under the covers.  At least he doesn’t seem nervous, she thought.  I sure am.   As she lay there, she reached over and turned out the lamp, plunging the room into darkness - not the pitch darkness of many Mercian nights - the light pollution in Toronto was too fierce to get fully dark - but a kind of very deep grey, that obscured vision but showed dim shapes, so one could navigate a room without stubbing ones toe if needed.  

 

“Ummm... What do we do now?  Just sleep?”  Erica stuttered.

 

“Pretty much, unless you’d prefer to cuddle and fall asleep that way.”  Kai said.  “I’m fine with whatever you want, Erica.  Go as slow as you need.”

 

I’m glad you mean it, she thought.  I don’t think I’m ready for much more - yet.  “O-Okay.”  She slid over a few inches, till she was cuddled up to Kai, and lay down to sleep.  She was surprised a bit when he put his arm over her - but it felt nice and comforting.  She could smell his scent again - and he could probably smell hers, if she had one - she assumed she did.   I hope it’s a nice one.  She thought.  I’d hate to smell bad.   Kai sighed - he seemed happy - and they both stayed together until they dozed off and fell asleep.

 

*           *           *

 

For the last four days, Vargas had been staying with his minions Flavius and Gaius at their new guides’ home - Jeremy Pierce.  They had seen wonder after wonder, been confused and at times quite scared - but they had learned.   For sixteen hours a day, Vargas and his men had been watching TV to learn about Earth culture, and questioning Jeremy for information to help them adjust.   At first Jeremy had been a little hesitant about answering so many questions - but the application of enough gold had quelled any annoyances and turned them into cooperation.   Now Vargas was almost ready.

 

This world is certainly strange, Vargas thought.  It values money and power over faith and religion - which I can almost understand...  But it’s like these simpletons don’t realize that power - true power - descends from the gods above down to man.  With faith, the rest - the money, the power - would come as the natural evolution of faith.  It was inevitable.  

 

Still, that simple-mindedness is certainly not evident in their contraptions and devices.  I have never even conceived of a more supreme culture of artificers and mechanics!   It will not save them, of course - but it is something to be admired while it lasts.   I imagine when I resurrect Tiamat, it will not survive long afterwards.   Now all I need to do is find her... but Jeremy’s internet claims she’s a myth, and that if she did once live, her body is far overseas and difficult to reach without great effort.   He puts great stock in this internet - but I prefer my knowledge from scholars and books.  Perhaps I will ask him to take me to one, tomorrow?

 

Vargas looked outside - it was dark.  He couldn’t read the clock - the translation spell he used was good for verbal speech and communication, but to read the local tongue required him to expend power - and he was carefully husbanding his resources for the required time.   Lately he’d taken to getting sleep after what Jeremy called the news came on the strange glass image box.   I’ve also been trying to devise an answer to whatever in the seven hells spell Erica threw at me at the House of Broken Dreams.   It was some sort of magical attack, I’m sure - but I’m still not sure it wasn’t Maeve, using Erica as a disguise to throw me off the scent.   No novice could cast a spell that powerful; it just isn’t possible.  So how did Maeve do it?

 

Bah!  Idle musings for another time.  As long as you can block it if she does it again, you’ll be fine.  Vargas left his reverie and looked through the small apartment to find Jeremy.  “Jeremy, I know you don’t trust your internet to be wholly accurate.  Can it tell us the name of a scholar who can help us find the truth - someone interested in those ancient myths?”

 

“Sure can, I guess.  Why?”  Jeremy asked.  “You’ve been really interested in learning about this ancient Sumerian goddess since you got here - so what’s so important about her?”

 

“She and her fate are very important to me and my bodyguards.  We believe she used to be real - oh, probably not how the legends say - and we want to find her resting place to set up a form of shrine.”  Vargas answered.   “But until we learn more, we can’t do anything - and if the internet is unreliable, then perhaps a scholar will have better chances?”

 

“I suppose I could look a few up - but we might need to bribe them or make an appointment.  A lot of them are really busy - either teaching classes at a university or doing their own research.  We might get lucky and just walk up to one and he’ll be free - but that might not work.  I can do it - god knows you’ve given me enough gold in the past two days.  I’ll get working on it.”

 

Vargas nodded and let the man work... his device was too complicated to learn with magic, and he didn’t have the time to dedicate to learning it himself.  Television was proving problematic as well - the many shows on it had little bearing on reality, except perhaps the news - although he had learned a great deal about Earths geopolitics.  

 

The middle-east was too violent and dangerous to travel to - even if it might be where Tiamat was slain.  There were too many factions to control, too many people watching each other and itching for a fight.  Anyone out of place - like Vargas and his men - would be instantly under suspicion - and the chances of them pulling off the resurrection ritual would be greatly diminished.   No, Vargas thought.  I need something that would be close enough to establish a mythical resonance to the site of her death - but much closer - preferably on this same landmass.  Jeremy assures me his car can take us anywhere we might need to go, save overseas - and I believe him, at least until he gives me reason to disbelieve him.  Perhaps a Scholar will know what I need?  

 

“Hey, Vargas, sir!”  Jeremy called.  “I’ve got a name... There’s a university professor by the name of Joyce Collins at the University of Toronto we could talk to...  I’ll give her a call in the morning - she won’t be at her office now.  Oh - wait, I’ll leave her a message, and get her to call us.   Can I say you’re a visiting dignitary that would like to take her for lunch and talk about ancient Sumerian religions?”

 

“Jeremy, if it will get her there and get her to tell us what I need, you can tell her anything you think she needs to hear, okay?   Just get her there.   Tell her I’ll pay a retainer and for her lunch as well at any place she wants to go.”

 

“Will do, Mr. Vargas!”  Jeremy got on the phone, and started dialing.

 

So now we have a lead...  And as soon as we have the information, and a possible location, well be on our way.   Jeremy’s car will be more than sufficient to get us anywhere on this landmass - Gaius and Flavius can handle any mundane threats - and I will handle anyone needing manipulation.   Soon, Tiamat will be returned - and this world won’t know what hit it.

 

*           *           *

 

As Jeremy called the professor from the University of Toronto, he was more than a little worried.   Like who the hell have I fallen in with?  He thought.  This guy is no Saudi Sheik - and he’s not from around here either.  I don’t know where the fuck he’s from - but I’ve seen his kind before.  He’s dangerous.   I wonder just how screwed am I?

 

Jeremy got the professors answering machine, and asked for lunch Sunday or anytime Monday if possible, and that he and his employer, a foreign dignitary, would be pleased to pay for lunch and offer a hefty retainer for her services.   “We would like especially to discuss ancient Babylonian and Sumerian deities.”   He left his phone number and name, and hung up.   Thank God that’s over, he thought.  Now how the hell do I get myself out of this - whatever it is - alive?

 

At first I thought Vargas was a Saudi Sheik - but I’m not sure what he is - hell, I’m not sure he’s from earth!   He asks about so many things - things he should know something about.  I am SURE they’ve heard of the internet in Saudi Arabia.  And cars.  And planes.   He says he’s a foreigner - maybe he’s a frikken alien?   And I thought I heard Gaius and Flavius hissing at each other the other day - like snakes.   What are they?  Alien snake men?   If I don’t do exactly as they say, I’ll probably end up on the freaking menu!

 

Jeremy shuddered, remembering the two bodyguards chat - the hissing speech chilled him to the bone when he heard it - but he knew they hadn’t heard him walk in on them, thank god.   Whatever it was that spoke in that voice wasn’t human, he knew that much.   And where did they get so much gold?   They couldn’t have gotten it over the border - Vargas didn’t even know what a passport was until Jeremy told him.  So where had it come from?  Space?  

 

The only bright spot in all of this was the gold.  Jeremy had already earned eighty pieces of gold, at one ounce each, he stood to profit close to 80,000 dollars - which was pretty nice for five days work...  He was just starting to realize he might not be able to survive long enough to spend it.  Face it Jeremy - you’re screwed unless you play this very, very carefully.

 

3