14: Magic Theory
927 2 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having hung out with the Mitsuyas the previous day, Erina was excited for her second day of lessons with Rinte.

"Mama, I can't wait! Yuiko told me that Rinte's lessons are really fun!" Erina remarked, sitting on top of Miyuki's lap while waiting for Rinte to arrive.

Still a bit tired from what she had done yesterday, Miyuki replied a bit absent-mindedly, "Hai... Rinte really is a good teacher, you know many pillar families request her services, although she refuses many of them due to their personalities..."

Seeing the front gate begin to open, Erina jumped off Miyuki's lap and ran to the door to let Rinte in. Letting Rinte in, Erina began dragging her towards the lesson room, "Come on, let's go! I can't wait for the lesson!"

However, seeing Miyuki's face Rinte quietly told her go wait in the lesson room while she had a talk with her mother.

Seeing Erina run off towards the lesson room, Rinte turned around and immediately took off her glasses. Seeing her old mentor take off her glasses, Miyuki felt a shiver go up her spine.

[AN: If you are really confused right now, go read the Aux Chapter I wrote about Rinte]

"Did you get dragged into that fool's plan again?!" Rinte snapped, "I have told you many times to not involve yourself in Emily's plans!"

Looking to the side, Miyuki responded, "O-okay, but I didn't mean to... and how did you even find out that Emily had enacted another one of her plans?"

Sighing, Rinte answered, "Of course I would find out, Emily had that expression on her face all morning while I was at the Mitsuya residence, you think I wouldn't notice? Especially, because her plans have a tendency to always work, so it's pretty obvious whenever she followed through one of her plans."

----------------------

Having spent some time lecturing Miyuki, Rinte made her way to the lesson room to begin the day's lesson with Erina.

*Shhhkk*

Sliding the door open, Rinte saw Erina sitting at her desk patiently waiting for the lesson to start with a book in her hands.

"Okay, I'm here now, sorry for the delay, I just needed to teach your mother some much needed life lessons." Rinte explained, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose.

Walking to the center of the room, Rinte brought up the lesson for the day and got ready to begin the lesson.

"So today's lesson is going to be an overview of Magic Theory, okay Erina?" Rinte asked, while looking over at Erina.

Putting her book away, Erina enthusiastically responded with a resounding, "Yes! I'm excited for the lesson today!"

Diving straight into the lesson, Rinte began, "So Magic Theory is pretty much just how magic works, in other words, the theoretical knowledge of magic. We'll begin with the basics, for now, getting into more and more detail as you get older. Firstly, magic is measured nation-wide at the age of 12 years old, during this test several things are measured, and if you are found to have more than the basic aptitude that everyone is guaranteed to have, you are automatically enrolled into the state sponsored Mage school. The first thing that is measured during this test is Magical power, or how much magic can you store. The second thing that is measured is your Magic type, like are you more suited for offensive type magic, like your classic fireball that you see in games? Or are you more suited for enchantment type magic which improves your own body strength and speed, among other things? The third thing you are tested for is your Magical affinity, what elements of magic you are suited for such as water, fire, etc.  Finally, the last thing that you are tested on, is what type of focus you should have. Any questions so far?"

"U-um what do you mean by type of focus? I know that Mama and Papa have one, but aren't they all the same?" Erina asked, unsure if this was a stupid question or not.

"Ah, don't be worried since that is a perfectly normal question to have." Rinte reassured before explaining, "A focus is what a magician uses to channel their magic, and direct the magic to form spells. A focus will have two forms, general and specialized, each suited for different situations. The general form is the form that the focus will spend most of its time in, it allows the user to just normally use spells, similar to a magic wand. In general form, a focus is like a small box, similar to the size of a phone, allowing it to be easily carried around by the user. Furthermore, a focus is custom made for every single magician, making it so only the owner of the focus can use the focus. Specialized form is the thing that is tested during the Magic test that everyone undergoes at age 12, during the test you put your hand on the device that draws out your magic, and it directs the magic into a highly advanced machine that allows the magic to flow into it's natural weapon, which in turn is recorded and built as your focus's specialized form. The specialized form of the focus is only used in combat situations. This is because the shape of your specialization is a representation of your best magical combat style, be it a knight sword, similar to what your father Garret has, that allows him to be what fantasy books call a magic swordsman. Or a rifle focus, similar to what Miyuki has, allowing her to fight from midranges effectively."

Stepping off to the side to take a drink of water, Rinte continued, "However, do not think that people with less developed weapons such as swords or spears are inferior to those with futuristic weapons such as rifles or shotguns. This is because they all have their own drawbacks, as well as advantages that balance them out. An example of this is your father Garret, although many would believe that he wouldn't fare well against mages with a gun specialization, he has been known to directly cut through the bullets of weaker mages who have gun specializations. So Erina, one thing to keep in mind is that many people with close combat specializations have one for a reason, be it natural body prowess, a perverted affinity for close combat and intuition, or an abnormal aptitude for enhancement magic."

Hearing Rinte's warning, Erina nodded her head in affirmation before replying, "En! I'll keep that in mind Rinte! I won't look down on people based on their specialization!"

Smiling at Erina's declaration, Rinte agreed, "Yes, that's a very important thing to know, because many people will discriminate against people with bad specializations, only to have their pride handed back to them completely trampled later on when said person got better with their specialization."

 

27