15. Stygian Dragon Sect
39 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Smoke curled from the canyon where Stygian Dragon Sect lie. The sounds of swords clashing resounded in the wide space, following the cries of battle.

By the time Wu Lingtian and Su Han arrived, Hu Rongming was already fighting a familiar looking figure. His face was grossly distorted and blood was splattered across his face. The bodies on the ground were more from the opposing side than the Stygian Dragon Sect disciples but the disciples had been fewer in number to begin with. Unfortunately, the damage done to the Stygian Dragon Sect was greater.

“Martial Uncle, what should we do?” Su Han asked as he ran his sword through an oncoming enemy.

“Fight,” Wu Lingtian replied casually as he slit the throat of a cultivator.

“But if we keep fighting like this, then Stygian Dragon Sect will be burned to the ground,” Su Han said. His eyes concentrated on the figure of Xiao Peiri that flitted by.

“I have a way to stop them, but I need some time. So, just fight.”

Su Han looked at Wu Lingtian’s retreating back and could only bow his head and continue the fight.

Wu Lingtian moved through the crowds similarly to how one would easily slice through tofu. Every cultivator he met would be disarmed and rendered unconscious. The more persistent ones would be further injured, but Wu Lingtian’s expression did not carry any concern for their well-being.

His first thought was to move towards the highest point of Stygian Dragon Sect until he encountered Hu Rongming.

Although Hu Rongming was an incredible martial artist and a strong cultivator, his specialty was still in long-ranged combat. He could normally hold his own, but when it was swarms and swarms of cultivators at a time, he became a bit flustered and his battle technique could be considered less than ideal.

Wu Lingtian glanced at the peak of Stygian Dragon Sect and, instead, flew to Hu Rongming’s aid.

“Oh, Little Tian,” in the heat of battle, Hu Rongming still managed to belt out a laugh. “You followed!”

“Naturally,” Wu Lingtian replied. “You owe me for that table you broke.”

Hu Rongming was stunned into silence for a moment before he laughed again. “You’re quite the penny pincher, aren’t you?”

“My family’s sect is poor,” Wu Lingtian said. He cut down one of the cultivators and flicked the blood from his blade.

Hu Rongming’s laughter only grew. “If Fan Yi heard your words, he’d surely feel guilty! He dragged a little prince down to roll in the mud with him!”

“I was born in the mud. It is only natural that this is where I return,” Wu Lingtian replied.

Hu Rongming glanced at Wu Lingtian as they switched positions. His bow transformed into a whip and lashed out at the group that surged towards him.

“The more I talk to you, the more interesting I find you,” Hu Rongming grinned. “Maybe you should come over to my sect instead. I promise to entertain you!”

“No need,” Wu Lingtian sent out a wave of spiritual energy, pushing the cultivators back by several kilometers. Wu Lingtian spun his sword and sent it through several cultivators at once. “Stygian Dragon Sect is far too rowdy for my taste.”

Hu Rongming turned to Wu Lingtian and frowned. “Don’t you mean lively?”

Wu Lingtian cut down a cultivator and turned to look at Hu Rongming. “No. I meant rowdy.”

Hu Rongming scoffed as another wave of cultivators arrived. Hu Rongming sent his whip out and wrapped the group into a nice bundle before frowning. He looked back at Wu Lingtian, who had split his sword into six and pierced it into the hearts of the cultivators.

“Hey, Little Tian, don’t these cultivators seem odd to you?”

“Do not call me that,” Wu Lingtian inhaled deeply and turned to look at Hu Rongming and the group he had just bundled together. “They are odd.”

“What’s odd about them?” Hu Rongming wondered as he shot out a wave of spiritual energy from his palm at the attackers from behind.

“They’re not alive,” Wu Lingtian said. He walked over to Hu Rongming and pointed at the cultivators. “Don’t you see the veins on their neck. Their eyes are dull. They died and were then made into puppets.”

“Puppets?” Hu Rongming’s brows furrowed and tightened his grip on his whip, scattering the bodies of the dead cultivators. Hu Rongming turned to Wu Lingtian. “This isn’t like the puppets that Yizhou play with, right?”

“No,” Wu Lingtian shook his head. He looked at the scattered body parts and turned away to face his own enemies. “Second Pillar’s methods are much more tasteful.”

Hu Rongming hummed in agreement. Someone as beautiful as Ren Yizhou, he would certainly use more refined methods. These cultivators that were half hardened and half fleshy were definitely not Ren Yizhou’s style.

 “Then, Little Tian, who do you think did this?” Hu Rongming’s whip transformed back into a bow. “You’re much more well learned about the cultivation world. I usually just stay in this canyon.”

“Stop calling me Little Tian,” Wu Lingtian’s brows furrowed a fraction.

Wu Lingtian retrieved his sword and slit another cultivator’s throat. He sighed. “I’ve never seen a method like this. I am not even sure what they have done to these cultivators, but I am certain they are still semi-alive.”

“Didn’t you just say they were dead?”

“Can dead people bleed?” Wu Lingtian held out his sword to Hu Rongming.

There was, indeed, red, glistening blood on the blade.

Wu Lingtian flicked his blade. “It should be about time.”

“Time?”

“When there are major fluctuations of spiritual energy, that person will come.”

“Wh—”

As if on cue, from the skies came the squawk of a crane.

The disciples and cultivators alike looked up just as a seemingly large net was casted over the area. The group below slowly felt their spiritual energy become constricted. Eventually, they all dropped their weapons and waited.

All except for the pack of puppets that continued wave after wave.

The figure descended from the red-crowned crane and sent out a wave of spiritual energy that stunted the group of puppets momentarily. The spiritual energy was swiftly followed by a bundle of talismans that accurately attached to the foreheads of the puppets, sealing them until further notice.

The person flicked his wide sleeves and frowned upon the scene.

The man’s normally sunny face was devoid of its amicableness, but he was still considered quite handsome. He wore light purple robes that fit loosely and fluttered about him, making him seem as if he were an immortal descending into the mortal realm. His hair was only half pinned back and, in his hand, he carried an inconspicuous folding fan.

Behind him descended a youth who looked somewhat similar to the man. He wore light purple robes as well, but his were more fitted—like what one who normally practiced martial arts would wear. At his side was a sword that was neither flashy nor lowkey. It was dark in color and, on the surface of its sheath, were two red characters—“Ming Yun”.

“It is normally out of the Frost Cliff Pavilion’s jurisdiction to come visit an unorthodox sect, however the fluctuations we felt were also of our righteous sects. Pray this gentleman can understand.”

Hu Rongming looked at the man and the youth before him before turning to Wu Lingtian. “Who’re they?”

Su Han and Xiao Peiri joined Hu Rongming and Wu Lingtian’s side. They were quite battered, but it could be seen with a glance that their injuries were not too severe.

“F-Feng Ling Immortal!” the righteous cultivator who headed this attack stumbled out from the crowd and landed on his knees.

Feng Ling Immortal, Situ Hong, turned to look at the cultivator. His fan flicked open. “Shan Yuming, you’ve committed a grave mistake.”

“I—but—they—”

“Even if they were in the wrong, you should have at least let us know first,” Situ Hong said. “Instead, you ignored your father’s warnings and snuck out here. You will be facing punishment.”

“T-they—”

“’T-they’, what?” Hu Rongming stepped forward angrily. “You come ambush my sect while I was away and now you can’t do anything but stutter? And what are those vile things?! You’re actually using this kind of disgusting method to win?”

Situ Hong’s attention was drawn to the figures that still surrounded them. He turned back to Shan Yuming.

“Th-they—I don’t know what those are,” Shan Yuming’s expression paled by several shades. He turned to Situ Hong. “Feng Ling Immortal, you must believe me! You—I know! I know!”

Shan Yuming pointed to Hu Rongming. “He must have known you were coming. So, to get back at me, he planted these weird creatures!”

The youth beside Situ Hong scoffed. “Disgraceful.”

“A-Min.”

Situ Min pursed his lips and lowered his gaze.

“But my little brother didn’t say anything wrong,” the fan snapped shut. “Truly disgraceful.”

Shan Yuming began to tremble. “It wasn’t my fault. It wasn’t my fault! They…they…what did they do…? Wait, they…they ambushed my sect’s disciples and stole their belongings! They—we were only getting revenge!”

“If we truly did something like that, then where is the proof?” Hu Rongming growled. “Even if that were the case, you should have gone to those few disciples to sort out! Not ambush my sect when I was away. Clearly, you have other ideas! The few years of peace between us orthodox and you righteous sects must mean nothing to you, huh? Just because we’ve been quiet a few years, you think we’re easy to walk over?”

Situ Hong looked at Hu Rongming and his gaze was subsequently attracted by the young man who stood beside him. His gaze lowered. He held up his hand.

“Take him away.”

“Yes, sir!”

The disciples that had been flying above just moments ago descended and locked up Shan Yuming, as well as the remaining cultivators that were with him.

Situ Hong turned to Hu Rongming and bowed. “This gentleman, could you be Hu Rongming?”

“Yes.”

Situ Hong’s lips curled into a sunny smile as he rose. “Sect Leader Hu, please be magnanimous and let us righteous sects off. We will pay for the reparations and any other damage that was done unto your sect.”

“Then lives?” Hu Rongming pointed at the disciples that laid, cold on the ground. “You dare say you can replace lives?!”

Situ Hong lowered his eyes. “No matter what, the dead will not return. However, Sect Leader Hu, after investigating, I will be sure to hand over the perpetrators for you to deal with them as you see fit.”

“As if I believe you,” Hu Rongming scoffed.

“Frost Cliff Pavilion is an agency under Hall of Impartiality,” Wu Lingtian interjected softly. “They would not wrongly accuse others of misdeeds. Similarly, they are fair in their punishment. Sect Leader Hu does not have to worry—they are not like those in the righteous sect.”

Hu Rongming glanced at Wu Lingtian and forced the fire to quell in his heart. “…Very well then. I will listen to you.”

Situ Hong’s smile grew wider. His fan flicked open as he tossed his sleeve behind his back. The previously stern expression disappeared from his face as he stepped forward.

Su Han moved forward as well, putting a block between Situ Hong and his martial uncle.

Situ Hong saw this and laughed. “Goodness, Lingtian, I did not expect to see you here of all places!”

“Feng Ling Immortal,” Wu Lingtian cupped his hands together and bowed.

Situ Hong flicked his fan shut and waved it. “What’s with the niceties? Aren’t you and I friends?”

Su Han frowned.

“Don’t look at me like that kid,” Situ Hong said. “I work for Frost Cliff Pavilion—there is no warrant out for Wu Lingtian, so I will not move him. You know what they say: work smart, not hard! I am not one to bother with things outside of my jurisdiction.”

Situ Min frowned and tugged on Situ Hong’s sleeve. “Brother, this isn’t proper, is it?”

“What isn’t proper?” Situ Hong’s fan snapped shut and he lightly tapped his younger brother on the head.

Situ Min glanced at Wu Lingtian. “He’s still on cultivation world’s most wanted list. Even if we do not apprehend him…we still should not speak with him.”

“Lingtian is your older brother’s good friend. Now shoo, shoo. Go take care of that group of scum.”

“…Brother, are you going to stay?”

“Stay! I have to,” Situ Hong’s eyes landed on the group of half-dead cultivators. He smiled and pointed with his fan. “I have to deal with that!”

Situ Min shifted from foot to foot. “Brother, if Father were to find out that you were speaking to Wu Lingtian in such a familiar matter, then—”

“Why are you calling him so rudely? Call him Tian-gege,” Situ Hong sighed. “You’re always such a stickler to the rules that don’t matter. What am I?”

“…Frost Cliff Pavilion’s officer.”

“Correct. I’m an officer under Frost Cliff Pavilion. It’s impartiality before sect and family,” Situ Hong said. He patted Situ Min’s head. “Now go. Big brother has work to do.”

Situ Min glanced at Wu Lingtian before bowing to his brother and flying off after the others.

“Children,” Situ Hong flicked his fan out and smiled at Wu Lingtian. He nudged Su Han aside with his fan and circled Wu Lingtian before laughing. “I haven’t seen you in six months, but you still look perfectly fine! How come I heard rumors that you died?”

Su Han frowned at Situ Hong but stepped back a few paces once the man barged in.

“I am alive and well,” Wu Lingtian replied. “Feng Ling Immortal, will you actually investigate these strange creatures?”

“Investigate! I’ll investigate,” Situ Hong smiled. He glanced at them before turning back to Wu Lingtian. “Say, Lingtian, will you investigate with me?”

Wu Lingtian stared blankly at Situ Hong and turned to Hu Rongming. “Sect Leader Hu, I will leave first.”

“Oh,” Hu Rongming nodded. After a moment, he stopped Wu Lingtian. “Wait, you stay. I still have to pay you back. Peiri.”

“Yes, Master,” Xiao Peiri nodded to Su Han and quickly left after her master.

Wu Lingtian’s mouth was parted to say that it was fine, but Hu Rongming had already disappeared.

It was the advantages of having long legs.

Situ Hong’s fan snapped open annoyingly. “It’s just you and me, Lingling.”

“Feng Ling Immortal,” Su Han pushed himself between Situ Hong and Wu Lingitan. “Please step back. My martial uncle isn’t comfortable with you.”

Situ Hong raised an eyebrow. “This little tyke is yours?”

“He is a disciple under Sect Leader Fan, but he is part of my sect.”

“Your sect,” Situ Hong’s smile broadened. “Oh, the gossipers will be excited to hear this. Lingtian, we’ve all been wondering where you went. Screeching Sparrow has been so quiet as of late, we thought that you had run off and were now living as an unknown cultivator on another continent, but look at you—alive and well, still in the Lingdong Region.”

“As if you would let this news out,” Wu Lingtian turned and walked towards the stunted cultivators.

“Lingling, you still know me the best. Now stop calling me Feng Ling Immortal—it hurts my heart!”

“Young Master Situ.”

“…Lingling, you’re too cold. We’ve been friends for nearly four decades,” Situ Hong sighed.

Wu Lingtian ignored Situ Hong. “Su Han, if you’re injured, go find someone to patch you up.”

“Martial Uncle, I’m fine,” Su Han’s gaze remained steadily on Situ Hong.

“He won’t move against me,” Wu Lingtian reassured Su Han. He tilted his head towards the disciples cleaning up the others. “If you aren’t hurt, go help them.”

Su Han hesitated by Wu Lingtian for a moment. He glared at Situ Hong before turning and following Wu Lingtian’s instructions.

“Huh,” Situ Hong’s fan snapped shut. He pointed to Su Han with his fan and smiled and Wu Lingtian. “Refreshing. Unorthodox sect disciples sure are refreshing!”

“These people are still alive,” Wu Lingtian stepped closer to the cultivators. He lifted the talisman slightly and pointed to their necks. “However, their veins have been tainted by demonic energy, making them fall into this corpse-like puppet state.”

“Mm, I see, I see,” Situ Hong leaned his face in near Wu Lingtian. He turned his head and smiled. “Lingtian, what do you think it is?”

“I am asking you,” Wu Lingtian turned to look at Situ Hong. He seemed completely unbothered by how close their faces were.

“I’m asking you. You’re much more well-traveled than I am.”

“Although I am not within your jurisdiction or part of your job, these puppets are,” Wu Lingtian said.

Situ Hong let out a long sigh. “It’s been two years since we’ve seen each other! Let’s catch up first, no?”

“No.”

“What? Why not?” Situ Hong pouted. He leaned back and straightened out. “You know, when I first came out of seclusion, I really got a shock!”

Wu Lingtian looked at Situ Hong’s smiling face.

The fan flicked open and then snapped shut once…twice...three times. “I went back to Frost Cliff Pavilion and got overloaded with information, just to learn that Drifting Clouds Mountain Sect didn’t file a case for you. They only put out a cultivation world warning about wanting you back—alive. Strange, right?”

The fan snapped open again. “Something else happened that night, didn’t it?”

“I do not recall,” Wu Lingtian replied evenly.

The two old acquaintances stared at each other. Neither spoke a word.

Frost Cliff Pavilion was, as stated before, a department that Hall of Impartiality oversaw. It was created not too long ago—just a few centuries—by cultivators that were tired of unfair judgement and petty revenge that was taken upon each other just for stealing some type of magical artifact or weapon that another had just snagged. After Frost Cliff Pavilion was established, the cultivation world went from the unlawful jungle that it was to a society with murky waters and a cordial appearance. Rules were established and followed on the surface, but who knew what happened underground.

Frost Cliff Pavilion were the law enforcers, the judgement makers, and the executioners of the cultivation world. The power lies at their fingertips…but was often left unused.

They were meant to deal with the crimes of that effected the cultivation world. Things such as someone who had fallen into the demonic path and threatened to wipe out the entire world. Or a new weapon was developed in order to destroy the realms that they knew of. Then, they would act as the court that placed judgement after the criminal was captured.

In reality, many came to them with small matters like petty theft. Some cultivators would even call on them to stop their children from doing something stupid, like with Shan Yuming.

Although the system was nice, sect matters still remained sect matters. If they were to report it to Frost Cliff Pavilion, they would not be able to deal with the traitor with their own hands. Therefore, unless it went too extreme, a lot of the crimes in the cultivation world would still not be reported and if they were not reported, Frost Cliff Pavilion could not do a thing.

Since the case of Drifting Clouds Mountain Sect was not officially reported, Frost Cliff Pavilion did not need to make a move on anyone involved. Like the Hall of Impartiality, their hands would not touch this matter in the slightest and would allow nature to take its course.

But Situ Hong still found it a little strange. According to Drifting Clouds Mountain Sect’s nature of abiding by whatever little “law” was placed into the cultivation world, they should have reported it to Frost Cliff Pavilion. Yet they did not. And, even more curiously, they still wanted Wu Lingtian alive after killing their sect leader?

This was a point Situ Hong could not understand.

That must mean Wu Lingtian either knew something or he had something that they still wanted. To them, Wu Lingtian was still useful.

4