Chapter 7
6.2k 35 120
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They found him a half-hour later, washed up on a riverbank, his own sword having pierced his back.

The boy's body was battered, bruised, impaled, and half-dead. In fact, when they saw him, they thought he was dead.

They said that with a fall that high, not to mention not drowning, it was a miracle he wasn't killed upon impact. 

Even more amazing was how he must still have been conscious and able to swim to shore because otherwise the water would have pulled him along the river even further until he either got caught by something or drifted out to sea.

And yet while he may have been alive, his arms and legs were badly damaged by the impact with the water. The physicians said that even with their potions he may never have full control of them again.

And if he did, there was a large chance that he'd develop a chronic pain that would only grow more intense as he aged. Even that was under the assumption he didn't strain himself and quietly lived in peace.

The guards that had let them venture out alone took full responsibility but were unpunished due to it having been an order from Alex and Charlotte that made them stay.

Speaking of Charlotte, she was an emotional wreck. By the time the guards arrived, they found her staring out towards the edge of the waterfall with an empty gaze, crying wordlessly and unresponsive to any attempts at communication. The shock had set in. 

No one understood at first how she escaped the harsh waters, how she'd made her way out and onto safety. It was only much later that they were all told how Damien used his sword and stuck it into a nearby protruding rock just as they were about to go over, then swung her onto dry land in what could only be described as an inhuman feat. The strength required to throw someone like that, even a small child...especially in that sort of situation with water pelting you from above....

It was beyond what normal men were capable of. Only truly gifted of the world, those training in arts that transcended mortal limitations, could do that. 

Sadly, after accomplishing this the boy finally fell. It really was a miracle that he survived. 

Charlotte? Guilt gnawed at her relentlessly, and when she looked at Damien's face--once so vibrant and full of life, now pale and displaying pain even in his sleep--the tears couldn't be stopped.

"You're okay...That's good..." 

Those were the first words he'd said when he woke up. His eyes had searched about the room for her, and when he saw she was fine he muttered those words before once more losing consciousness.

When she heard him say that she nearly broke. 

Now, a full two months later, she and Alex remained at the Marquis' house as guests. 

During his recovery, Charlotte became his shadow. The first half-month was spent healing his body, the rest of the month and a half was completing the physical therapy needed for him to even walk about again unaided. The speed of his healing process was remarkable and even the doctors were flabbergasted at this. But that didn't mean he would fully recover. 

Charlotte spent that month and a half silently watching him, helping him build back his strength in whatever way she could. She'd brought the best chefs in the kingdom to prepare his meals. The best physical therapists to keep a constant eye on his progress. There was even a time where she left to an auction house and bought a rare healing potion for him, which he knew wouldn't help. Those things helped heal quicker, not stronger. But she made him drink it anyway and he could only imagine it's cost. Things like this were as rare as phoenix feathers. Most you found elsewhere were knockoffs with barely a third of the true product's efficiency.

No one knew, had any idea, that she was the cause of all his current misery. It was an accident, people understood, but not that it was her fault.

And so the staff praised her endlessly for how far she was going for him. It made her chest tighten to the point she could barely breathe.

Even after her brother requested her return home, she simply refused to leave. He and Damien's family felt the girl was merely feeling guilty about having been so reckless and allowing this to happen. 

So whether it was helping feed him or allowing him to lean on her for support as he tried to regain his strength it was all done by her. 

And Dahlia. 

During this time period Dahlia was like a mother hen, gently caring for her brother every day. Even though their goal was the same, the two had still not seen eye to eye. In fact Dahlia grew to hate the young Princess more and more. Her previous cheerful airheadedness was washed away, and in it's place was an intense dislike for both Charlotte and her brother. To her, if those guys never showed up Day wouldn't have gotten hurt like this. 

Dolly knew it was an accident. Even so, she couldn't help blaming them. She had never felt such...resentment before. It made her teeth ache. Every time she looked at her brother, she wanted to just rip into Charlotte's face. She felt disgusted at the girl, sticking to him like glue after what she'd caused. And she felt equally sickened by her brother. Why was he bothering her? Didn't he know she needed to spend this time with Day?! She wanted to beat him up, too, that Alex. 

Vera suggested a flaying. And Dolly, after looking up the word in a dictionary later on, felt that was too lenient! 

During the day Charlotte tended to him, and during the night Dahlia would sneak into his room and silently watch over him like his personal guardian angel.

Then on one particular evening, Dahlia took Charlotte aside for a talk.

"I think it's time you left." Dolly said without preamble. Vera, supporting her from behind, nodded approvingly.

The girl flinched as if struck. "...I...no...I should stay. He still needs me." She whimpered softly. " I have to help him get better, I have to--"

"Haven't you done enough to him already?" Dolly coldly cut her off.

Charlotte stayed quiet. "I...I'm sorry." Was all she could say.

"Don't say sorry to me, I'm not the one you almost killed!" Dolly flew into a rage. "Just go already. I'll take care of Day myself, he doesn't need you. In fact, the only thing he needs from you is distance!" Dolly knew it wasn't fair. The Princess didn't mean to get Day hurt. Logically, she understood that. But she was the one who dragged them there. She's the one who started fooling around.

The other girl nodded numbly, turning to leave without a word.

***

"I guess I'll be going now." Charlotte awkwardly stood in front of a large bed, wringing her hands.

"I see." Damien had a very considering look. "Feel free to come back anytime."

"I-I will." Charlotte stuttered. The moment stretched on. "Damien, I need to tell you something." She started.

"Oh?" He raised a brow. "What is it?"

"...I...I...Um..." Charlotte felt her throat go raw, and she couldn't speak the words. She bowed her head, saying, " I just...really enjoyed my time here. I'm sorry I got you hurt." It was such a lame thing to say. An apology wouldn't fix anything. It certainly wouldn't fix the damage she'd done.

...Who's she kidding? Damage? No. It was far worse. She almost got him killed. He was a good person, so much better than the other Nobles she'd met. He was a person who didn't even hesitate to save the life of a stranger. 

And because of her, the world was almost robbed of such a person.  Because of her, he might never fully recover. 

Not only was he a good person, he was also part of her kingdom's elite. She'd heard from her brother of his exploits, of how at just twelve years of age he'd slaughtered all his opponents during the tri-annual tournament held two summers ago. 

At the same age, she was sitting in a dusty room looking at ancient texts for answers to questions she'd never have any use for.

He was a valued member of the younger generation, would have been groomed to inherit his father's position as guardian of the southern borders of Illium since birth.

But now, because of her, he was in pain every day. Because of her, even though he had such talent, he might never even be able to use the same degree of skill in battle again. 

So young, kind and talented and yet she ruined him.

His entire future was at stake, his entire life had been derailed...and all because of--

" Don't bother apologizing." He said, making her flinch. But then he said, "This isn't your fault. Rather, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I should've been quicker. I should've looked after you better. I was negligent and put you in danger. I really can't say sorry enough." He sighed wearily. "That's why you doing all this for me is unnecessary. Really."  

Charlotte fell silent. She felt as if the room was spinning. 

What did he say? Sorry? To her? 

Negligence, danger? Even though she was the one who had Alex distract him while she enacted her stupid plan....

Why? Why was he the one apologizing to her?

"But...you almost died rescuing me..." 

Damien smiled at her, and it was filled with a feeling of self-deprecation. 

"That's nothing but what's as to be expected. Besides, I'm sworn to serve the house of Mikaelson, you know? If you asked it, in return for my failing that day, I'd even have to offer you my life right now. If you only told me to, I'd have little choice but to take my sword and kill myself this very moment."

And there was no fear in his face, only acceptance. A crystal clear understanding of one's own position.

Charlotte felt sick. "You saved me. You almost died for me. I was the one who fooled around, you didn't have to jump in at all. Do you just not care about your own life? If anyone else saw they'd have just let me die."

Damien shrugged. "From the moment the engagement was announced, you became my family." Suddenly his tone went dark and simmering. "My cute little sister. So even if my injuries were to be worse, even if I'd never be able to wield a sword again, even if I'd died, I'd still have done all I could to protect you. Because that's just what older brothers do for their sisters, dammit!" He was almost growling by the end. 

But she still couldn't understand. Couldn't fathom why he, with just these reasons, could have so readily risked himself for her at that time.  

It was incomprehensible. They were, in reality, nothing to each other. Not yet. So why? How? 

She really...didn't understand at all....

Yet, when she and Alex finally left, every word he said kept replaying itself over and over in Charlotte's mind.

***

Princess.  

A Princess, huh. 

...A Princess, eh? 

So, she's the Princess....

...The Princess....

...

......

........ When the fuck was there a Princess?! 

Yes, he'd thought all this before. But dammit, what the hell was this? Did a new DLC come out? The Prince never had a sister! Damien was sure of it! Just creating a sister character for him, what the fuck! 

All these thoughts were what had gone through his head during his recovery. 

But after those thoughts passed, he'd smile. 

He faced agony every day, his hands and legs shook each time he stood or even just tried to hold something. He'd been stabbed by his own sword and he now understood that he might never wield it with the same efficiency again. 

...And yet, he smiled.

Because in addition to a brother, he'd gotten a new sister as well. And she was smart, pretty and caring, just like Dolly. Of course she planned all this to test his character, but he didn't mind that.

The pain didn't bother him much either, actually. He'd faced way worse. He never talked about it, obviously, but lets just say that he didn't go from his last life to this one all that quick as it seemed. And it was in that indistinct period of time that he faced much greater and much more mind-breaking amounts of pain. 

He shook because that's what his body did in response, but he could force himself to stillness if he wanted. He didn't, though...cuz he had to make it look good, yo! He had to earn them brownie points. So he laid it on thick, the appearance of the selfless, misunderstood, unbearably kind older brother figure whose sense of responsibility and respect for familial bonds would make him sacrifice life and limb for you for no reason other than that's what he should do.

Which you know, he LOVED the idea of adopting little sisters and brothers and all that. So it wasn't a lie. He'd kill for his little ones! Take a bullet for his little ones! But he turned it up to 100 in terms of sweet talk.

With her sense of guilt over this there's no way she doesn't break down and start fallin' for him. As a brother or a man, either way. Point is, her affection for him was steadily increasing! Aw yeah. 

Anyway. He knew the Prince would make Dolly happy, so he gave his full approval to the marriage even if right now Dolly herself didn't see the appeal. 

Damien had therefore always welcomed the Prince as a brother in his heart after he heard of the engagement and thought of how deeply Dolly would fall for him. 

But unexpectedly, he'd received a new sister too. Kinda came outta left field, but hell he ain't gonna complain.

She was reckless. She didn't think things through all the way. She was a bit shy and she'd fidget like an adorable little worm when she was anxious. 

But she was his sister nonetheless. Not by blood, but by bond. 

He meant what he said that day. Even if he had to die, he'd save her. What was death anyway to him? He'd already died. Nothing special. 

Damien had few rules, but one of the important ones? Protecc the lolies. 

And at worst he'd reincarnate again and lose his memories, right?

If he had to die, at least saving his new sister would have been a nice way to go. Not to mention she was a Princess at that! A cute lolita! 

With Charlotte and Alex slowly turning to putty in his hands there now was only one thing that was a cause for real worry. One person standing in the way of Damien's dream of seeing his family's little Dolly get married: The heroine!

***

Another half a month passed.

"Day, don't stress yourself so much!" Dahlia ran up to her brother and chastised him.

But to this Damien merely stopped for a moment to drink some water before telling the instructor to continue with his assault.

Damien had to be strong. First off, he knew that the existence of magic was a wondrous thing and that if he was able to reach mastery in Body Strengthening magic then any residual effects of the fall would be healed. As he said, the pain was nothing but he really couldn't help his body's limitations. 

Not many knew of it, but he studied the Body Strengthening magic extensively in the past. Reading and re-reading every line of every text regarding the mysteries of the Body Strengthening magic. In the end he was a lazy cunt, feeling it wasn't worth actually practicing given how great his inborn strength is already, but looks like he'll have to reconsider. 

Few people had the talent for it, unlike him, so it'd be a waste not to really. And honestly? It was a wonderful type of power that literally strengthened the body to incredible heights. It went past Aura in some ways, making the body stronger, more durable, but also increasing your healing factor. Allowing you to survive life-threatening wounds like it was nothing. Every single cell in your body would be energized. Aura gave you strength, but not any life-sustaining abilities. 

It's even said you would survive any wound, that you could be reduced to nothing but a single drop of blood and yet from that droplet completely regenerate

...That was at the highest levels though.  

He had to work hard to reach that kind of power.

And there was only a few years. Even if he didn't reach such lofty heights, at least he had to be able to protect himself. He'd win against most of the young generation here, but compared to the older gents and monsters out in the world? Hm. He needed insurance. He's only human after all. Even if his body was naturally stronger than others, it, too, had a limit. 

From his memory, one of the bad ends for Love Orgy had Dolly exiled to the harsh and unforgiving Dry Lands outside the kingdom--who know what sort of dangers his sister would face?!

He, if that end happened, would of course leave with her. And he needed to be able to protect her if that end occured.

He had to be prepared in case he failed. It was a hard, bitter pill to swallow, but the possibility existed and he needed to be careful. The heroine was simply that terrifying to him. Not personally, but because she's heaven's favored child! Fuck. He hated heaven. The slut. And the gods. The heretics. 

They're all workin' against him here. 

And so, Damien threw himself into training. 

His thoughts were rather dark and morbid. 

That Prince, should he spurn Dolly like that, had better watch out! Damien promised to himself that, should any of the bad ends come to pass, he'd kill that little shit for daring to harm Dolly in any way.

Blood was thicker than water. Even if Damien liked him it was only because he had the ability to bring Dolly happiness. As long as Charlotte stayed out of it, she'd be forgiven.

However Damien's first priority would always be his own sister, his blood.

So long as the new members of his family stayed loyal and true, he'd love them as much as he would as if they really were his kin.

Damien slowly, after another five minutes of battling, finally motioned for the instructor to stop. 

The sharp-eyed man, tall and dark-haired with wings of silver on the sides, grunted. 

Sir Killian Wrath. 

7th Sword of the kingdom, and an old friend of Damien's father who acted as one of Damien's part-time instructors.

 "Even with your injuries, Young Master Damien is still a little monster. Rather, a freak. I don't think those injuries even hurt you, though I don't know why you pretend they do." He rubbed his chin. "However your arms are shaking, and I know it's not from the fatigue or the pain. Your body is in serious condition even if your mind can bear the stress. You may have to create a different style to make sure you don't overextend yourself too quickly during combat. If you don't you'll suffer in the future, your body being how it is at the moment."

...Create a new style, he said...

Damien felt a headache coming on. He hoped he wouldn't have to. He would have to spend hours coming up with the best ways to move his body with the most efficiency. It would be completely opposite his current style of being unpredictable and playing dirty.

"I'm fine." Damien sheathed his blade

Dolly came to his side, staring up at him with her big, round eyes.

"Day..." She whined, worry clearly heard within that single word alone.

"I know. I'm okay, Dolly." He patted her head affectionately. 

She sighed unhappily. "You always say that. I wish you'd just stop. I don't like seeing you in pain."

Damien shrugged off her concern. "This is what I have to do, Dolly."

"But why?" The little girl asked insistently. Her head dropped, and he could see the tremble in her shoulders.

He gave her arm a squeeze. "Dolly, everything this big brother of yours does is for your future happiness. Just trust me, okay? I know what I'm doing."

Dolly looked away, not meeting his eyes."Day doesn't ever listen to me...I hate this. Day should just let me spoil him, what's all this 'I have to' nonsense?" She grumbled. "Well fine. Mother and Vee told me how I should deal with you. Just you watch!" 

"Dolly? Wait, where're you going?" Damien called after the retreating figure.

"I'm going to go find a hammer!" She shouted back. "If Day doesn't have any knees, he'll HAVE to stop this lunacy! Don't worry, Day. Me and Vee and Mother will take care of you. Just wait there, okay?"

He stood there with his mouth agape. "She's trying to cripple me!" He said, stunned.

"She worries about you." Killian stated. 

"So she has to break my knees?!"

"She really worries about you."

"But, my knees?"

"Love is often a heavy burden to bear."

"But--"

"And you're pretty stubborn yourself. Thinking about it logically, you don't need to become a warrior. You don't have to follow your father's footsteps. You aren't required to head into the frontlines so she probably doesn't understand why you insist on putting yourself through this. As much of a worrywart as that kid is, I'm surprised she hasn't tied you down yet."

 "Worry, worry, worry. That's all she's done for the past few months now. Mother's been irritable too." His brows furrowed ever-so-slightly. " The only saving grace is that Vee's been quiet lately." Guess she does have a conscience then, he thought silently.

"She knows you're recovering, The girl understands moderation. As for your mother and sister, you nearly died saving a girl you don't even know. Of course they'd be like that."

"A girl who will become my sister-in-law" Damien reminded mildly.

Killian gazed at him weirdly. "Sister-in-law? Who?" 

"Lady Charlotte, of course." Damien made it seem like it should be obvious and he was a fool for asking.

"Ah." Killian said. "Right, I forgot. But that girl isn't..." He stopped. "Actually, no. Nevermind. Anyway, I doubt your sister will marry the Prince. She's stubborn too." 

"So is my father." Damien chuckled. 

"It runs in the family apparently." The man showed a rare smirk.

"The Prince will make her happy." Damien, staring at his sister enter their home, said such.

"He'd better...is what you mean. Right?" Killian knew Damien well.

"Haha...What an imagination you have there, Uncle Killian."

And yet that evil-sounding laugh made the man feel he was spot-on. 

"Young Master. " A young-looking female servant, pretty faced with neat brown hair tied into a bun, walked up to them. "Lord Claybrooke requests your presence."

"Oh? Alright. Thank you, Miss Hanna, I'll be sure to see him in a bit."

The young servant smiled friendily. 

Lord Damien was probably the only one to remember the names and faces of the servants here. Not only that, he would even talk to them and ask about their families.

He was very well-liked among the servants because of that. Some had been servants to Nobles who were much more difficult, so they appreciated the way he actually took the initiate to be nice to them despite his station. 

Without another word, Hanna departed after a small bow.

"It's always so odd to see you be so casual with the servants here." 

Damien gave Killian a look. "Why?" He asked. He knew some Nobles treated the servants pretty distantly, like, well, servants...but it couldn't be all that bad.

Right?

"Not many Nobles are that patient." Came the reply. "Talking to them as equals is rarely seen, and you certainly wouldn't easily find one that thanks them or takes an interest in their private lives like you do. In fact, a more irritable Noble may have yelled at her for disturbing us. I've seen it done." 

A cold snort. "Being nice to others despite their station is something anyone should be capable of doing. If they can't, then more than a Noble they fail at being a decent human being too." 

The man nodded. "Well said. Sadly not everyone thinks the same."

"Well those kind of Nobles are stuck up little bitches who think their shit don't stink."

"And that's part of the reason you have such a terrible reputation." The man shook his head. "You really shouldn't say things like that so openly."

"If you don't tell them, how will they know how shitty they are as people? By putting them in their place I'm helping them grow and mature." Damien replied very self-righteously. "I don't care if those cunts don't like me, either. This is a world ruled by the common folk, Uncle. You don't have to appease the Nobles. Their power is only granted by the people they govern. As long as the people are on my side, what can they do? Or don't you remember what happened to King Rowan?"

Killian's eyes narrowed at the mention of that name. "...You may have a point there, boy." He said after a moment. He changed the subject once more."So, you're going to see your father then?" 

Damien sighed. "Yeah, I suppose I have to. Let's just stop here then. Come find me later, we can discuss how to work around these damn injuries of mine." Damien's eyes flashed with a sudden gleam when he saw Killian wanting to refuse. "Plus I have a spare bottle of Grigio I'm willing to share, if you're interested."

Damien, too, knew the man well. A spar or two was fine, but try to get him to sit and talk sword theory was another story. He was a doer, this guy. Didn't like to get into the pesky little details of things if he could help it.

Killian's eyes gleamed faintly. "Pillaged from your father's own stash, no doubt. Alright, you're on. I can offer you some insight, little rascal."

Damien smirked."Good choice. After all, wine tastes best when stolen from others."

After a short chuckle, the man took his leave.

Taking a moment to calm himself, Damien soon followed.

***

"Ah, there he is!" As soon as he entered his father's study, Damien heard his loud, powerful voice greet him.

Damien's eyes, as if directed by some unknowable force, met those of a man he'd never seen before.

Tall and imposing, with a thick mane of blonde hair and steel-grey eyes. Proud...powerful...regal. These were the words that first came to mind when Damien looked at him.

"Damien!" Before anyone else could say anything, a voice sounded out through the room and someone rushed forward to clap Damien on the back. 

It was then that he noticed the two others by the man's side.

The person who called out to him was a familiar face, no less than the Prince of the kingdom, Alexander Mikaelson.

"Alex." Damien greeted amicably."Happy to see you again."

Over the course of his healing process, the young man in front of him had often stayed beside his bed and talked with him. They got along well ever since he saved Charlotte. The previous fear and distrust had washed away. Damien even offered some advice to the young Prince about how to gain Dolly's favor, which also increased his favor towards this future brother-in-law.

Though the advice hadn't worked, oddly enough...

"And I you." He replied, equally pleased. "I know it's a little late, but now that you're back on your feet why don't we celebrate? We can--"

"Damien." A familiar voice entered his ears. You could easily hear the trepidation in it's tone. 

Charlotte. She walked up and interrupted their talk with a bowed head, her face hidden by lustrous dark curls. Somehow the atmosphere between them become tense. Awkward in the way she allowed the silence to stretch on.

Damien was quick to take the lead. "What's got you so glum? And come on, raise your head. As a Princess, you should know it's rude to not look at a person when talking to them."

Damien moved very deliberately, stepping forward and lifting up her chin so she was forced to look at him.

" There, much better. " He did his best to smile. It was hard, but he'd been practicing. Being bedridden for so long, he couldn't do much else anyway.

The Princess looked at him in shock, and maybe a little fright, and definitely guilt. She looked like a rabbit who wanted to run away, but was caught in the eyes of a predator. Her ears slowly turned red. 

"Yes...okay...I understand." Her words were so quiet and faint they were almost mouse-like. "Thank you."  

Satisfied with the reaction, Damien turned his attention to the unfamiliar man once more. "And you must be...King Lucius, am I right? Nice to finally meet you." Damien gave him a considering look. "It would be wrong to call you father-in-law...I wonder if Uncle Lucius would be acceptable?"

Since in-laws to a married couple don't become in-laws to the couple's blood-related family, there isn't really a term for the parents of a sibling's spouse. 

The king stared at him hard, his gaze unreadable. 

Damien's father, seeing the interaction, gave him a look of warning. "Damien!" He all but shouted. "This is the king of the kingdom you're addressing, not some common pauper. Show proper respect. Hurry up and bow." 

Damien was already shaking his head."We're all family here. Family doesn't bow to one another."

His father folded his arms. "If I have to, so do you." He released an oppressive aura built up from years of hard battle.

Damien, however, was used to it. 

"Still refuse? Brat. Why I oughta..." Father began dangerously. 

"Oh calm yourself, Elias" For the first time, the king raised his voice. "Your son's words ring true. Though not yet official, we're all of the same family now." 

With the king's input Father gave a grunt and eased himself, content to just narrow his eyes at his unruly son. 

"As for you..." The king addressed Damien, "Uncle Lucius is fine, it doesn't matter." He seemed indifferent to it. 

"Then it shall be so." Damien nodded. "What brings you here, Uncle?"

Rowan glanced at Charlotte, causing the girl to shrink into herself. "A thank you."

Damien arched a brow. "Thank you?" He repeated, confused.

"For the matter of Charlotte." His steel-grey eyes were locked onto Damien's figure. "Your actions that day saved her life. You are deserving of compensation for your efforts."

The king's hand went to his hip, and slowly drew out a long, three-finger wide sword. It was a very elegant piece with a silvery blade and black hilt with gold inlay. 

Just looking at it one could tell it was a top-notch item. 

This...is a Royal Claymore...? Yet it felt different, somehow. 

"For your service to my family." 

The king casually tossed the thing at Damien who caught it effortlessly.

And Damien marveled at how heavy it was. It wasn't the normal weight, but many times that. Usually a sword like this didn't go beyond five pounds. This one was at least thirty. A drawback for normal folk, but for someone with strength like his....hm.

He had to admit, he loved how it whistled as it cut through air, the way it fit snugly in his hand. Perfectly balanced, emitting a sharp presence. He tested the blade itself, tapping it hard. It chimed beautifully. 

It was hard, extremely durable. But it had a softness to it, flexibility so that it would withstand heavy impacts. A sword needed that. Otherwise it'd break easily, being too brittle. 

However...

"What is this?" His face went dark. "Did you come here just to mock me?" He threw the sword at the king's feet in disgust.

Everyone in the room apart from King Lucius grew stiff. 

"Damien!" His father growled angrily. "Watch your tongue!"

"Why?" Damien stubbornly glared at him. "I'm not the one being disrespectful." 

Charlotte looked from Damien to the sword and back again. "Damien, don't be like this. Isn't it fine? Why can't you just accept it? "

 Damien didn't budge an inch. "Because I didn't help you expecting something in return!" He told her sternly. "I don't appreciate the implication here, dammit. " 

"Saving the life of someone in my family isn't something that can go unrewarded." Lucius spoke evenly. "You don't want to throw this away."

"Yes, I do." Damien replied, just as cooly, before leveling the King with a hard stare. "Your family? No, she's my family now too and I won't demean the value of her life by accepting whatever reward you might give me. A cheap sword like that? Ha! Even if you offered me every jewel and gold piece in the Kingdom I'd still refuse to take it! I don't have the best of reputations, but I ain't the kind of scum that would take a reward for something I should have done regardless! So kindly fuck off." Damien was enraged, feeling as if the king was directly slapping him in the face. This guy, exactly how much value did he place on his daughter that a sword could be all that she was worth? 

The lives of Damien's siblings were priceless! 

Whether it be them or Dahlia, he couldn't place a number on any of them! They were his family. Even if I did scare Alex a bit, and did plot his assassination should he hurt Dolly's feelings, if it ever came to it he'd brave any kinda danger for him too. As long as he kept Dolly happy, that is. 

And as long as they didn't wrong him and his sister, they were deserving of all the care and concern that came in return!

"Damien, go to your room, now!" His father, as angry as he'd ever seen him, yelled.

"Happy to." Damien bit out. 

And without giving any of them a second glance, he coldly marched out of the room.

Alex and Charlotte watched him go, shocked at how quickly the situation deteriorated.

This...was the first time they saw anyone act so contemptuously towards the king of the kingdom before! No one dared say a word of disagreement in front of him! 

They were stunned.

Elias was the first to break the ice. 

"My liege..." He started. 

But the king paid him no mind.

Instead, he bent down and retrieved the weapon from the floor. 

Under the quiet looks of the other three, he gripped the hilt and brought the blade up to the shining rays of the sun which streamed in through the open window.

The light hit the sword magnificently as he examined the weapon. 

His eyes were unfathomable.

"This sword, " He began calmly, "Had been in my family for generations. My grandfather's closest friend forged this for him the day he left to these strange, foreign realms. It was made from the finest materials by perhaps the greatest blacksmith of his time for the man whom he considered like a brother to him. And when it passed to my father, it was his most prized possession." 

He ran a finger over the flat of the blade. " The value of this sword, sentimental or otherwise, is without end...Yet it was thrown to the floor as if it were a piece of garbage."

Elias, hearing it's history, sucked in a cold breath. Fuck, he thought. "My liege, I apologize on Damien's behalf. He obviously had no idea--"

"Your son," The king cut him off without even a glance. "Is no fool." He told him. "He recognized the level of craftsmanship put into this thing the moment it came into contact with his hands. Even still, he refused it." There was a dangerous note in his voice.

"I'll punish him accordingly, Sire," Elias promised.

"No." Lucius said. "You won't." It was a command, one expected to be followed. 

"My liege?" Elias's brow knit together.

"Lord Claybrooke," Lucius spoke heavily. " Tell me, this sword or Charlotte's life, which is more valuable?" He asked. 

It took Elias only a few seconds to reply. 

"...Obviously Princess Charlotte's, my King." 

A dry laugh. "Yes. And your son would have answered  that without any of the hesistation you just displayed, I would bet." He looked at Charlotte, gentleness and affection easing the severity from his stern face. "As valuable as this sword is...it's also worthless." The king sheathed the blade once more. "It's just a thing, Elias. A tool. Compared to her life,  it's not even fit to pick the gunk off a common soldier's boots."

"Your boy knows this. His anger...is not without reason. I know that if it were me in his situation, I'd be angry too."

The king took the sword and sheathe, then placed it on Elias' desk. 

"You can't put a price on family." He asserted firmly. " Nothing is more important."

"You should be proud to have a son who understands that." The king turned to his children. " Let's go."

***

"Brother..." 

Lucius, without even asking, nodded his head. "You may go. We will wait." 

Charlotte ran off, disappearing in a flash.

"Are you sure about leaving it here?" Alex idly looked at the paintings on the walls, recalling their stories.

"I am." 

Alex went quiet, then, "Why the sword?"

The king walked on resolutely, appearing distant and unfeeling. 

"You know what that troublesome girl did." He folded his hands behind his back. "She wanted to gift him something more than just gold and silver."

Alex felt as if something clicked in his head. "So she was the one who asked you to let him have it? Even if it's her, aren't you being too indulgent?!"

"You don't understand." His father shook his head. "She didn't have to ask. It's her's. My father wanted her to have it. She was always his favorite, you know. Always liked her more than me or your uncle. " 

"What?" Alex blinked. "It was never yours? I had thought..."

"You thought wrong." A small smirk. "You know how she feels about weapons, so I just took temporary ownership of it. It is a rather fine piece, after all. But in the end it belongs to her, and if she wants to give it away then it's well within her right. Although, shy as she is, she could never outright hand it to him. Especially given what happened. Which is why she begged me to make the trip here."

"But...I mean, why leave it? He didn't even want it and it's part of our family's legacy! You could have taken it back and Charlotte wouldn't have been able to say anything. So why didn't you?" 

Since the young man refused the gift, if his father took it back she would not have been able to complain about it. 

That sword wasn't something to just throw away like this, so Alex couldn't understand what his father was thinking by leaving it. 

But his father seemed to ignore the question entirely.

They walked a while longer before the king unexpectedly spoke again, "He's an interesting boy, is he not? That Damien."

Alex frowned at the sudden change in topic. "He certainly isn't afraid to speak his mind. " He replied carefully, thinking back to how the boy talked earlier. " Why do you ask?

"You wanted to know why I left the sword there, didn't you?" 

"Well...Yes..." It was valuable, priceless. Of course he was curious about it. 

Alex wasn't able to figure out where this was going. However, he felt something was amiss. 

The king's eyes gazed out towards the robust mansion. A certain figure stared back at him from above and his heart grew cold as old memories, ones he dared not speak of, resurfaced.

"Think of it as... an investment." And, he thought inwardly, a peace offering.  

Alex, at that time, was completely unable to understand what his father's words meant.

***

Later that night, as he was sleeping, a certain figure crept over Damien's bed. Being a light sleeper he woke instantly but didn't bother going alert because he knew it was Dolly. The girl sometimes snuck in. 

How the hell she got passed the locked doors, he had no idea.

The thing that made him start to freak out, though? The fact she was straddling his chest, facing his legs, and raising something above her head.

"Dolly?"

She paused. "Yes, Day?"

"Put down the hammer."

The girl crawled off the bed. "...I'll come back later."

He called Baz and Phil to keep watch over him from that day forth.

120