Chapter 22 – Am I inside an Otome Game?!
1.2k 17 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Here we go! Another 3,4k words chapter...

I'm sorry for being late by a few hours, I was too absorbed reading another novel... I have no excuse.

Enjoy!

 

- (Random guard’s POV) –

 

I’m a guard working in the castle, my job is to pass in the royal jail every hour to make sure that everything is fine so no prisoner can escape. I’m about to do my fifth inspection of the day (I share the work with a colleague).

I enter in the jail and the first suspicious thing I can notice is the smell. This smell is insupportable! What the hell is this? According to my nose, it must be something like a poop or vomit. Let’s see from who it come from so I can kick the prisoner’s ass.

I walk in the jail and I can see all the prisoners covering their nose, I can’t blame them though…

I keep walking while the smell is becoming even more horrible. It looks like the smell come from the part of the jail where there are the most dangerous criminals. Once I arrive in front of the cell where the odor come from, I frown.

This prisoner came here 3 days ago, he is Oscar, a former Archpriest of the Church. This bastard asked a Baron to capture my wife along with several other woman to sell them as a slave! Fortunately, lady Victoria discovered his plan and saved the women, then she killed the Baron and destroyed his mansion. This woman is really frightening; I really don’t want to mess with her, but I’m really thankful to her! I’m also very happy that this archpriest finally got punished!

I was worried that she would be punished for killing a noble, but she came out of this situation without any punishment. Apparently, the king and other high nobles know about lady Victoria’s behavior, but they tolerate it if the victim is a criminal. They also ignore her action if she does something bad if it’s not too serious. I didn’t understand at first how the king can let such a dangerous lady live freely in this nation, but I think I understand now. Even if she does whatever she wants, she is also extremely useful to the nation. She killed or captured countless criminals and she also killed thousands of enemy soldiers during the last war, which is extremely good for the nation. She even became a noble for her achievement.

Well, whatever. What I want to know now is WHY THE HELL IS THIS OSCAR BASTARD SLEEPING INSIDE HIS OWN VOMIT?! Was he that hungry?! Or maybe is he a masochist?! It’s so disgusting!

Well, it’s my job to clear it because the smell is too horrible for the other prisoners… What a Shitty job…

I open the cell, get closer to him, and try to roll his body to move him away from the vomit. It’s a relief that I trained my muscles, otherwise I wouldn’t even be able to lift his fat body! Once I see his face, I frown again. What the hell?!

His face is full of injury like if someone slapped him. Wait, don’t tell me that he slapped himself?! I knew it! This guy is really a masochist!

I start to clean the vomit with a towel. So disgusting! I really need to take a shower after that! Once I’m done cleaning, I get up and look at the cell again. The wall is even damaged, like if someone crashed into it. Did he use the wall to inflict pain on himself? What a hardcore masochist!

I leave the cell and close it again. If I knew I would have to do something like this, I would never have started this job!

Who knew that this shitty archpriest was a masochist? I really need to tell my friends about it!

 

**********************

 

- (Anna’s POV) -

 

3 days have passed since Eleonora’s birthday. Apparently, no one found out that Victoria and I sneaked in the royal jail. However, there are some rumors stating that this Oscar guy is a masochist. I wonder why…

I heard that I became pretty famous amongst the nobles because of my present, but not many people tried to approach me yet. I think they are trying to investigate my origin before getting closer to me. Well, they can try… I don’t think that someone will find out where I REALLY come from.

It’s better for me because I could focus on my shop! I finally opened the alchemy shop yesterday! I recruited 8 employees to take care of it but I’m still the one taking care of the money because I don’t trust them yet. The shop quickly became popular and we are selling a lot of potions and soap. 3 employees decided to live inside the shop, so they moved there with their family. The others decided to continue to live in their own house.

 

Tonight, I will go to Victoria’s party! Apparently, a lot of nobles are invited, some of them are even marquis or duke! It seems that Victoria is very popular in the noble society, she is beautiful and also very strong after all. Well, I’m pretty sure that most of them are afraid of her though… By the way, Alice and her family are also invited.

I’m still living in Roland’s house for now, but I plan to buy my own house soon, I don’t want to take advantage of them too much… However, I don’t want to buy just any house, but something similar to a mansion. I also plan to hire several maids and butlers to take care of the chores and the food because I don’t really want to lose my time doing it… However, I still don’t have enough money to buy a big mansion, I still need to wait a few weeks of profits. Maybe I can sell several magic items or the rest of my gold coins to get more money… maybe I will do it in the future. I can also receive a lot of money if I win the tournament, I heard they are offering 10,000 gold coins to the winner!

I’m currently in the carriage leading to Victoria’s house along with Alice’s family. By the way, Lylith is not here because she is staying with her father tonight. We are all dressed elegantly, and we have make-up on ourselves.

We finally arrive in front of the house. It looks like many people already arrived because I can see a lot of carriages in the courtyard. Victoria’s mansion is quite big, about the same size as Roland’s mansion, but the design is slightly different.

We enter inside and I can hear someone introducing us, it looks like they are introducing everyone as soon as they arrive.

“The Baumeister family along with lady Anna just arrived!” (announcer)

Suddenly, I can feel a lot of gazes coming from the hall, and most of them are toward me… They must have heard a lot of rumor about me.

We walk in the hall toward Victoria because it’s common sense to greet the organizer as soon as we arrive. Once we arrive in front of her, her face lit up and she talks!

“Welcome to my party, all of you! And I’m happy to see you again, Anna!” (Victoria)

“It has been a while! Well, three days…” (Anna)

Eleonora look at me with a shocked face. Oops, I think I forgot to tell her that I met Victoria and became her friend…

“Anna-chan, do you know lady Victoria?” (Eleonora)

“Ah, yes! I forgot to tell you, but we met during your party and we became friend!” (Anna)

“Ara, it doesn’t surprise me, you are quite similar to her!” (Eleonora)

Hearing our conversation, Victoria laughs a little.

“Hahaha, yes. I also believe that Anna is similar to me!” (Victoria)

After that, we leave her because she still has to greet other nobles. Like always, Roland and Eleonora separate from us because they have to talk with several nobles for political reasons. Being a noble sound so boring! If I can, I want to keep being a commoner but being richer than most nobles! Well, I don’t mind being a noble, but I don’t want to take care of a territory because it sounds annoying!

I’m left with Alice and her brother: Charles. We head to the table to eat some snacks and drink.

I look around and I can see at least 50 peoples in the hall, I don’t know most of them though... Victoria told me that she invited nearly all the nobles that are currently in the capital. Well, some of them probably didn’t come but there are still a lot of nobles. I wonder why she is even organizing a party though; I don’t think she likes attending a party because she likes fighting…

Wait, I think I know! I’m pretty sure that she invited all the nobles because she wants to see some dramas because she is bored! She probably invited nobles who hate each other’s on purpose! What a wicked woman! I should learn from her…

Suddenly, the announcer talks again. Probably someone else arrived, let’s see who it is.

“Crown Prince Thomas and lady Charlotte!” (announcer)

WHAT?! What is the crown prince doing here?! I recognize him, he is the one who was talking with the king when I sneaked in the palace 6 days ago! They also talked about a certain Charlotte and I remember the king saying that she has no manner and doesn’t deserve to be a queen. From what I also remember, the Crown Prince want to marry her, but his parents don’t acknowledge her.

I was really curious to see her with my own eyes! I investigated a bit, and I found out that she is 17 years old, she is attending the Royal Academy, and she is a baron’s daughter. Seeing her, I can tell that she is quite beautiful. She enters the hall with a smile while holding the prince’s arm, the arm touching her chest.

However, I can hear someone growling beside me:

“Oh no… I don’t want to see this bitch…” (Charles)

Wow, it looks like Charles doesn’t like her… I wonder what she did.

“Do you know her?” (Anna)

“Of course, I know her! We are in the same class in the Royal Academy!” (Charles)

Oh, yes… I forgot!~

“And why do you not like her?” (Anna)

“Because she is literally trying to seduce the entire school! A lot of people hate her, but there are also a few that love her. She is always acting like a victim and everytimes something small happen, she will make a big deal out of it! It’s so annoying! She looks like an innocent little girl, but everything is an act! Furthermore, her body is the only thing she has, she is also stupid, and her grades are quite bad. Also, even though she is dating the crown prince, she keeps seducing other men!” (Charles)

Wow, she is even worst than I thought! I trust Charles, but I only believe what I see, so let’s observe her for a while. I try to listen to their conversation:

“Thomas, let’s go eat those snacks, it looks delicious!” (Charlotte)

“Wait, we have to greet the organizer of the party, lady Victoria.” (Thomas)

“Who care about that? Let’s go eat, I’m hungry!” (Charlotte)

Wow, it looks like it’s true that she has no manner… Also, she walks more like a bitch than a noble lady. It looks like Victoria heard their conversation because she is walking toward them.

“Hoho, so the bitch doesn’t want to greet me?” (Victoria)

VICTORIA?! Don’t insult the prince’s lover in front of the prince himself!! Well, actually, it was justified… However, Charlotte looks like she is being threatened and jump toward the prince, it looks like she is about to cry...

“V-Victoria, w-why are you so cruel! What did I do to you?” (Charlotte)

I see, that’s what Charles meant when he said that she acts like a victim to get the boy’s attention.

“I’m not your friend so don’t call me Victoria!” (Victoria)

“B-But!” (Charlotte)

She sticks her head on Thomas’s head. Don’t tell me that’s how she is seducing men?! It’s so freaking obvious that it’s an act! I can’t believe there is a man that would fall for that!

“Don’t worry Charlotte, she is only a wicked woman…” (Thomas)

The prince said, then he turns toward Victoria:

“How dare you bully Charlotte in front of me!” (Thomas)

… The prince actually fell for that … What an idiot!

“Fufu~. Poor little girl, do you want a candy?” (Victoria)

This Victoria… She is doing it on purpose!! I knew it, she organized this party only to watch some drama!

“Victoria! If you don’t stop immediately, I’m going to arrest you for treason!” (Thomas)

“Ohh, what a pity! I’m so afraid!” (Victoria)

Wow, just wow… Aren’t you going a little bit too far, Victoria? I look around and everyone is looking at the scene.

Suddenly, someone is approaching the drama. She is a girl about the same age as Charlotte with red hairs. Charlotte is looking at her with an angry look when she sees her.

“Elise! Why are you here?!” (Charlotte)

Elise?! Red hairs?! Wait, don’t tell me she is Elise de Florus, a duke’s daughter! When I read the book listing the nobles, I was quite interested in her for several reasons. First, she has red hairs like me, but her hairs are lighter than mine. Furthermore, she is famous for being very clever, she achieved many things in her father’s territory and a lot of people are saying that she is the perfect candidate to become a queen. She is also 17 years old and attending the Royal Academy, she is always first or second in every exam. She gained the title ‘Flower of Society’ thanks to her beauty, achievements, and influence. That’s pretty much everything I know about her.

“Why shouldn’t I be here? I also got invited!” (Elise)

“Are you here to bully me like what you did at school yesterday?” (Charlotte)

“What are you talking about?! I only told you to stop seducing every boy in the school, so you can focus on your study and your training to become a queen!” (Elise)

What’s going on?! Am I watching a drama on the TV? Suddenly, the prince looks shocked:

“Wait, what do you mean she is seducing every boy in the school?!” (Thomas)

“She is lying! I only try to make some friends!” (Charlotte)

Charlotte answer with a panicked expression. The prince looks satisfied so he looks at Elise, then speaks:

“See? You are lying, Elise! Stop speaking non-sense in front of me!” (Thomas)

The prince threatens Elise, but she stays calm. I look at Victoria, and she is eating beside them while looking at them, as if she were enjoying her popcorn!

“And what if she is the one who is lying?” (Elise)

“Charlotte would never lie; she is an angel!” (Thomas)

This prince… is he being serious?! How blind are you? I’m really concerned for the future of the country if he becomes king…

Besides, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! Hey God! Did you lie to me? You told me that I was reincarnated in a game similar to my VRMMORPG, so WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE I ARRIVED INSIDE AN OTOME GAME?! I swear, I already saw a similar scene in a novel!

“I see…” (Elise)

Elise sighs, it looks like she is giving up. All the nobles are still looking at the drama before them.

“It’s fine, Thomas! More importantly, I’m hungry!” (Charlotte)

“Alright! Let’s go!” (Thomas)

Charlotte and Thomas walk to a table, then start eating and drinking. Suddenly, Charlotte speaks after she drank a cup of tea.

“Wow, this tea is very good! Victoria, where does it come from?” (Charlotte)

Victoria looks at Charlotte with a displeased face, but still answer:

“It’s from Marmata, a kingdom in the east. I had a mission for the army a few months ago, so I had to sneak there alone. I liked this tea, so I bought it before I came back here. It’s from a plant that can only grow in Marmata.” (Victoria)

“Ohh! Can you send a bit of it to my house?” (Charlotte)

“Why should I give it to you? I like it, so I want to keep it for myself or my guests. I don’t have enough of it to send to someone.” (Victoria)

“I see… Thomas, can you tell someone to bring this tea from Marmata?” (Charlotte)

She asked Thomas, but it’s Elise who is answering with an annoyed expression.

“You can’t! You know very well that Marmata is hostile to our kingdom! Only someone as strong as Victoria could manage to sneak there without being killed!” (Elise)

“I see… what a pity…” (Charlotte)

She becomes depressed, then her face lit up again and she says:

“Ohh, I have an idea! What about conquering some of their land to get this tea?” (Charlotte)

WHAT?! What do you mean an ‘idea’? Are you stupid?!

Elise’s expression switch from annoyed to angry:

“What the hell are you saying?! Are you asking us to declare a war so you can have some tea?!” (Elise)

“Yes, exactly! Isn’t it a good idea? This tea can be sold so we can get a lot of money!” (Charlotte)

Is this girl really serious?! All the nobles in the hall are shocked by her words! This girl probably never even saw what blood looks like and she is talking about war like if it was nothing! Elise is becoming even angrier.

“What the hell is wrong with you?! If we declare war on Marmata, some other kingdoms will jump on the occasion to invade us! Besides, a war cost a lot of money, way more money than a few tea leaves!” (Elise)

The nobles in the hall are nodding in agreement, but Charlotte didn’t stop here:

“So what? At least, the knights would be useful! They are useless if there is no war!” (Charlotte)

WHAT THE HELL?! Don’t tell me she is seriously thinking like this… Wow, just wow! All the nobles are even more shocked!

“Charlotte! How dare you treating the knights like if they were disposable object?! Even if there is no war, they are still useful because they are guarding the border and if the other countries know that we have a powerful army, they would be reluctant to attack us!” (Elise)

She has a point, as expected of someone with a lot of achievement in fief management!

“B-But… Isn’t it a good idea, Thomas?” (Charlotte)

She can’t win an argument with Elise, so she asks for help… Thomas is hesitating, but he still manages to say something:

“I’m sorry Charlotte, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to declare a war. I will give any other tea that you want, so please forget about this tea…” (Thomas)

What a relief, the prince still has a brain… However, Charlotte looks shocked by his answer.

“W-Why are you siding with Elise instead of me?! W-What did I do wrong?” (Charlotte)

Then, she starts to cry and Thomas sighs.

“I’m not siding with her… It’s just that… there would be a lot of dead of there is a war…” (Thomas)

Then, Thomas takes her hand and starts to walk.

“Let’s leave this place, it wasn’t a good idea to come here.” (Thomas)

The prince leaves the party while carrying a half-crying Charlotte, with nearly all the nobles looking at Charlotte with an irritated look. I can understand them, they are working hard for the country and then there is a random girl coming and suggesting something that would destroy the country only because she wants to drink tea…

Wow… just wow… I hope this girl never become a queen. I swear, I stayed passive today, but if I hear any other bullshit coming from her mouth, I will be the one shutting it for her!

I take a look at Victoria, and she is watching while eating some snacks from a small packet. It looks like she is watching a drama while enjoying her popcorn!

Well, I guess the party can continue now!

 

A very stupid girl is introduced!

I'm sorry if this chapter might be a bit boring because Anna was very passive... But the party is not over and there will be a beating by Anna in the next chapter ;) (a small one xd)

I also used this chapter to introduce several VERY CLICHE new characters. I'm not ashamed at all about the cliche, this novel is full of that :D I basically take some inspiration from here and there and try to mix everything together hopping that it works. Am I doing fine?

I'm pretty sure that many of you will recognize where I got the inspiration from in this chapter :P Well, there are several novel with a similar plot (stupid baron's daughter dating a prince, and a clever duke's daughter as a villainess), don't hesitate to point them out in the comment :D

You can also help me to make this novel more famous with a good rating or a positive review :P

30