CH 14: DISCUSSION WITH MAMAKO
5k 14 139
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Akira, perhaps it would be preferable to take a pause? You are overworking yourself."

It has already been two weeks since I had formed my plans. I was now able to cast elementary spells in about 3 seconds, but it wasn't enough. Such speed wasn't enough to be acknowledged as a mage. 

Right now, I was reading a large book full of weird formulas that made my head swim. 

Pinching my eyebrows I took my attention from that book and turned to the one speaking to me with worry. 

"Ram, you know that I cannot slack off. I need to master at least three or so intermediate spells during the last two weeks. I also need to be up to date with my sword training. Saeko and Yuko should come today right?" 

"They should have, but I told them not to." 

Another voice sounded in the library as Mamako entered it. Today she wore a simple white dress with floral patterns. 

"Ram could you leave us alone. I think I need to talk with Akira."

"Yes."

Ram simply bowed while mouthing good luck to me before walking away. 

The moment Ram left, the room fell into a strange silence. Mamako didn't immediately begin speaking to me but rather came close to me and began to observe the different books I was reading. 

[Basics of Elemental magic.]

[Mana Manipulation 101.]

[How to cast a spell for Dummy.]

[Fusion of spiritual and physical energy.]

"I see that you have been busy."

"Ha-ha…"

An awkward laugh escaped my lips. 

"Akira, why are you in so much hurry? Why drive yourself to a corner? Do you know that mastering elementary magic in just one month or so is an incredible feat?" 

"So?" 

I closed the book in front of me and got up before stretching myself. It should have been a few hours since I moved from that chair. 

"Mamako, you know? While reading the archives and other such information since I woke up, I came to a very simple conclusion. I am incredibly weak."

"..."

"This world isn't a world where the weak can simply bully the strong. There are laws and people to enforce them. Even now, the cops are searching for the bastard who killed my parents. But see. The truth is simple. The law can never protect everyone. My parents are the best proof."

I began to circulate the mana in my body to get rides of the stiffness. It was a neat trick I learned that allowed me to cheat my own body. It didn't erase the fatigue, but it made the body believe it did. 

"There's so many things I don't know. So many things I can't do. If that assassin could come once and kill my parents while nearly killing me, what would stop him from doing it again? Of course we changed house and he shouldn't know the layout of this new home, but what does it matter?"

"I will never let anyone hurt you or Shuka."

I smiled at those words of her. I didn't feel warm. Not in the slightest. 

'Protecting me? Don't make me laugh.'

In this world, one could believe in anyone, but they should never rely on anyone. 

"Mamako. I don't doubt your strength. After all, your name is on the list of the anti-individual law. You are totally forbidden to enter any country without express permission from the ruler be it on this side or another."

The anti individual law was created during the last Multi World War. It's simple truly. In the original earth, some weapons of mass destruction were forbidden. 

Well the individuals on that list were considered to be weapons of mass destruction. 

I had found that list when doing research to know if Reinhard existed in this dimension and he did exist. He was also as much a monster as he was in Re Zero. 

Mamako smiled at my words, 

"Then if you know how powerful I am, why don't you just let me take care of you? You don't have to leave this world. You don't have to care about the industry under your parents name. You would be able to live a life free of any worries."

A smile formed on my face. Those words were truly tempting. An easy life with a beautiful woman and a cute little sister. But, 

"I refuse."

"Why?" 

She seemed to be truly taken aback by my refusal. 

Because it would be boring. 

"Because I don't want to live under your shadow all my life."

"Ah…"

-10 affection points with Mamako for reminding her of her son. 

+10 affection points with Mamako for reminding her of her son. 

Interesting. It's the first time I lost points with her. Still I guess I could understand why my sentence reminded her of her son. 

Mamako Oosuki. Many people had different impressions about her. Most were about how sexy and cute she was. But for me, I saw more than that. 

Mamako Oosuki was in a sense the "perfect mother". She was strong, reliable and kind. She could do anything and was willing to accept everything. 

But Mamako Oosuki wasn't a "good mother."

Weird right? How could she be perfect as a mother and not be good? Simple. She was too into her role as a mother. So much that she generally ignored the complaints of her son. 

In the Canon, despite his numerous complaints, Mamako never let Masato fight and get experience from killing monsters. As such, he was quite weak despite the fact that he was a hero. 

This wasn't really a problem in the anime(or light novel) since after all, it was a game. Death wasn't real. 

But… 

This world wasn't a game. 

What would happen to Masato who never had a chance to grow if he ever were to go fight without Mamako support? 

The answer was self-evident since the result was already known. He died. Nothing more, nothing less. 

That's why I said that despite being perfect, Mamako wasn't a good mother. 

A good mother had to care for her children and protect them. But, a good mother also had to know when to let go and allow her children to fly with their own wings. 

Of course, with a problematic family like the one I had in my past life, I wasn't really the best person to speak about such subjects. 

Perhaps I was wrong. Perhaps I was right. But it didn't matter, did it? 

139