CH 27: A NEW DAY
4k 23 102
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Voices. She could hear voices.

The usual voices. Whenever she walked through the village, whenever they’d see her, everyone would say it.

"Rem. You learn from your two big sisters, too. Work harder."

"Rem, don’t look so sad. The three of you are my cute daughters. I won’t play favorites.……. It’s just that the other two are a little special."

Her father smiled with a stern look on his face, and her mother smiled while she lowered her eyebrows in a troubled way as they said that.

"Rem-chan, is Ram-Sama and XXX-sama doing well today? See, those girls need to grow up healthily. Because they're the future of the Oni clan, after all." 

"Don’t you forget about it, Rem? A cursed child like you lived this long because Ram was blessed with the Oni God’s blood that should’ve been gone. Never, ever forget to be aware of that, and don’t forget to understand it, either."

Her race that lived in the same village as her and the chief who governed them said those things to Rem.

"Compared to Ram-sama, Rem is still just a no-horn……but that girl is Ram-sama’s sister. The ‘Third Oni God’ might not be just a dream after all."

"They do look like two peas in a pod. I’m sure these two jewels will make the future bright! She even looks like her eldest sister."

Even though Rem was the very essence of mediocrity, she was compared to Ram, who excelled ever since she was a baby, and everyone had expectations of her. It was even worse since they had an eldest sister who was as talented as Ram, if not more 

It was because she was their sister. It was because she was one of the Oni Gods' twin. It was because she was born along with the Oni clan’s hope.

And so, more than anyone, 

"Don’t let it get to you, Rem. You don’t need to worry about anything people say. I will always, always protect Rem. It’ll be alright." 

The fact that her most beloved other half with the same face continued saying that made Rem feel pain like she was being torn apart, but at the same time it made her so happy that it melted her heart.

But…

Even now, she deeply recalled the feelings she had at the time. 

Familiar sights had flames all around them, people she knew had turned into silent corpses

A world coming to an end. A closed world. A thankless world. A world that was harsh, senseless, and brought nothing but pain. 

Even so, she reached out with her hand, moved her finger, quivered her lips, and pleaded. 

After all, while it was a world beyond saving, it was still the only one she had. 

It was a world that had its back turned to her, locked away before her eyes, a world she could gaze only from afar. 

She wanted to abruptly tear down that wall, squint at the broad, dazzling world before her, and carve into her unopened eyes the sun-baked skin, the color, and smell of burned meat, the color of the beautiful horn that danced in the sky. 

Here the world was about to end, and what was she thinking about? 

For even then, she could still remember the short feelings of joy she had at the time—when her horn was cut. 

Thereafter, she devoted each and every day to expunging her guilt over those feelings above all else. 

This was her burden, this was the punishment for her sin. 

------AKIRA POV

The start of the day began the same as it always did before.

I would always wake up to sudden attacks like these.

"Good morning Onii-sama. it’s already morning-!"

"Ouf!?"

I would always wake up at once whenever Shuka tackled my stomach and got me out of bed…actually, in this case, it might be more accurate to say that I was forcibly pulled out of my bed against my own will.

Groaning with pain, I opened my eyes and saw the cute face of a girl that I became familiar with seeing.

"Good morning, Shuka."

"It’s about that time so perhaps you should get up quickly or else we’ll be late. You know how strict Saeko is about time." 

With a pout on her face, Shuka said these words, uncertain of whether or not I was comprehending them while rolling around on my stomach.

She was a girl with beautiful blonde hair and a face so cute I wanted to pinch it. 

Shuka Karino, currently a proud 12 year and 3 days old. 

Seeing her shiny eyes when she understood we were doing a surprise party for her was truly worth all the effort I put. 

Initially, I also intended to do a birthday party for Rem and Ram since it was in February, but from what I understood Oni did not celebrate their birthday. So I simply gave them simple gifts. 

Pretty sure Rem would have thrown what I gave her if Ram hadn't accepted. 

Thinking about that, I let out a sigh. I had been so happy about my new power that I had completely forgotten one of the reasons Rem distrusted Subaru at first. 

Witch scent. Though in my situation it was more warlock scent. 

"Onii-sama!!" 

"Sorry, I was a little in the clouds. But you are. Right. Come let's take a bath."

"Okay!!" She smiled happily, then taking an imperial impression, she said with a haughty tone, "Lift me, peasant."

"Yes! Your highness!" 

Hiding a smile, I gave a salute and took her by the waist before rising from my bed, and changing the way I was holding her to that of a princess carry. 

*Giggle*

Her laugh was music to my ears. 

'Man, I am seriously spoiling her too much.'

After all those months I came to understand something. My affection meters had never really been complete. 

[Name: Shuka Karino 

Love: 90]

A neat trick I learned, now I could view the stats I was interested in without having to go through the whole thing. 

Shuka's affection for me broke through 100 on the day of her birthday and changed from affection to love. 

Then this begged the question. What about Anna? 

If I had to advance speculation it would most likely be because, despite all her obsession for me, she didn't really love me. 

Never confuse obsession with love. 

While thinking about such questions, and holding my extremely light and cute little sister. 

I walked towards the bath. 

----

The bath in the manor, or rather should I call it a swimming pool? Anyway, the bath was currently occupied by another one when we entered. 

"A-Kun!! Shuka. I hope you had a good night of sleep."

"Good morning. Mamako. Yeah, we slept well. What about you?" 

[Name: Mamako Oosuki 

Familial? Love: 60]

Yeah, Mamako was waiting for us in the lobby of the bathroom while wearing nothing more than a towel that didn't leave much to the imagination. 

It was another change that happened since our excursions in the dungeon. She wished that we always take baths together. Sometimes even Rem and Ram were included. 

I still don't understand why even in the anime she would have the mc bathe with her and all the girls in their group, but who was I to deny her wisdom and authority?

Still, this was more of a sweet hell for me. 

'Amitābha!! Begone thoughts of perversion. I will not falter. I will not have a hard-on in front of my underage little sister.'

Shuka was cute and all, but yeah. There were some limits I wasn't ready to cross. My thoughts were brought to a halt when Mamako bent down to place her sandals in the place reserved for that. 

'Ah! Why my god? Why test the resolve of this penniless monk? But do not worry. I will not cast my gaze aside. I will look without missing anything. For this is the test you gave me.'

"Thanks for the meal!"

"A-Kun?" 

"Hehe, nothing. Just that seeing two beautiful women first thing in the morning is truly a blessing."

Never forget to praise the little sister. The last time she thought I didn't find her beautiful she nearly went into depression. 

The reactions to my compliment were immediate as I was rewarded by their blushing face.

'Ah. This is truly heaven.'

{Fufufu~! Master is indeed a lustful child.}

{I am not a Pervert. I am a gentleman.}

Well, did I not mention it? 

Now I had a timeless eldritch entity in my head.

Well, at least she was a beauty. So I guess this isn't a problem? 

I wonder if anyone managed to guess who is the third sister of Rem and Ram. The sole hint I will give is that she isn't a OC and she isn't from Re zero. Lol I doubt anyone would manage to guess.

102