Chapter 10
3.8k 13 118
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was exhausted and tired. The long howls of the many wolves circling the area of the forest around me had kept me up all night as I hid, shivering with fear in the dark. My current hiding spot was inside the hollow of a tree that I'd stumbled upon, where dark green moss grew like a thick carpet on the bark.

There was a slight glow emitted from a notification window above me that I hadn't looked at yet. I didn't want to look at it. Me and my stupid curiosity had given me enough trouble as is. Right now, I need to focus on the howling sounds of the wolves still searching for me. As long as I knew where they were, I could run.

All I needed to do was make it till morning. Once the sun rose, I was free to go anywhere I wanted, above the canopy of trees where the wolves could neither see or smell me.

.....I needed that night vision skill so bad. The sooner I got it, the higher chances of survival I would have.

This time, I was lucky that the Wolf King wielded fire. It worked in my favor to light my way away from him in the dark night.

The system lady's voice had rung out while I was too busy flapping for dear life, running away from him. I didn't know what she said just yet. There was no leisure time to look and analyze. Making sure my beak doesn't stick out of the hollow of the tree, I peer outside with the side of my head facing out.

My beak was pretty long, so it was better that I made sure it didn't stick outside like a marker for my location.

Yep. They were still there, and close too. I could see the back of the Wolf King right under the tree I was hiding in, watching his subordinates sniffing around on the ground.

I could only hope that the wolves' noses weren't good enough to pinpoint which tree I was hiding in. This was a good time for Greenie's luck. Man, I really missed that ugly goblin.

My small body had lost all its strength flitting from tree to tree. Having never experienced being a bird before, I didn't know the limits of my own body. It grew harder to evade the tree branches that suddenly appeared before me, when everything was dark and uneven light only came from behind me. Some vines seemed to react when I passed by, uncurling and reaching towards my body. This world was crazy. I had to watch out for the plants too.

I was thankful for the wide peripheral vision, which I used to my fullest ability. It hurt my neck to constantly swivel between the front for the sudden obstacles and my back to make sure I stayed near the light. My neck would be broken if I was a human.

But I'd done it, somehow.

Sighing, I stroke and rearrange my wing feathers so they lay flat against my body, removing the sharp twigs that had made their way in between them while I flew away.

All I did know was that I'd passed the limits a long time ago, my wings creaking as they flapped and my body feeling heavy. Each time, I could feel a small seed of energy sprout, giving me just enough strength to push forward, one more time. And again. And again.

Yaaaw~n.

I'm soo sleepy.

Maybe because I'm still young, but I've been sleeping for much longer than I ever did as a human.

No, snap out of it, Raven!

I can't fall asleep here.

What if I was a deep sleeper!?

The next time I wake up, I might already be in the Wolf King's stomach, while he used my thin bones as a toothpick.

Eeek!

Must. Stay. Awake.

In the pitch black hollow, when soft moss surrounded me on all sides, the perfect bed for a bird like me was drawing me deeper in. Sleep~ The moss seemed to sing. All the wolves will be gone when you wake up~

My head felt heavier, my eyelids sticking together like glue each time I blinked.

Not good.

The wolves' howls seemed to be growing further away. Was it because they were leaving, or because I was falling asleep?

Come on, Raven!

Think! There was no coffee here. Desperate times were calling for desperate measures.

Digging my beak into one feather that's beyond saving, straggly and stripped of fluff, I yank it out with a hard tug.
afgsdhjkalgsjgi!!!!!

"kraooowk" Giving a gurgling croak of pain, I bury my head in my feathers to muffle the sound.

That hurt, A LOT!

IT THROBS!!

I want to bang my head against the tree. The pain stabbing into my skull had won the battle against sleep. There would be no sleeping for a while yet.

It worked for a while, though I wasn't sure how much time had passed, until I woke up to find my head leaning against the wall.

Nuooooh!

Can't sleep!

I yank out another feather.

Agudhjknjasdg.

This was horrible. I was torturing myself. This was probably what it felt like when a human had their nails ripped out of their fingers. It was a throbbing pain that would ripple across my mind, burning pain that grew hotter.

With the third round, the voice speaks in its emotionless voice, announcing something I can't hear over the sheer pain I'm experiencing. Waving away the notification window, I focus on cradling my wing to myself, trying to work through the pain. Hopping around in circles, banging my head against the moss, I was trying it all to distract me from the pain.

[Sleep Resistance Obtained!]

After 2 more rounds of this, birds started to sing to each other in greeting.

[Pain Resistance Obtained!]

This was it!

I'd made it till morning!

Hallelujah!! Holding back the urge to cry out in triumph, I look out of the hollow below.
No wolves. Yes!!!!

Good job, baby Raven, you've survived your first ordeal by yourself against a monster. Patting myself on the back, I hop back into the hollow, and fall asleep.

Victory naps were important! I'd earned it too. After what feels like only a minute of sleep, I'm rudely awakened by a sound echoing against the wood.
Knock-knock.

Nope.

Knock-knock.

We're closed!

Knock-knock.

Oh, come on!

Peering out of the hollow, I look down to see a green head with a head full of dirty coarse hair.

"Krwaaak?"

My croak rises in pitch with the questioning tone.

Looking up, Greenie looks at me with an expression that asks: "Where'd you go??"

Oh boy! Was I glad to see him!

This was probably what a pet owner felt like when their lost pets came back home to them.

You did good, Greenie!! I forgive you for running away from me!!

[Skill proficiency reached. Acquired skill 『Evasive Maneuvers LV1』]
[Skill 『Evasive Maneuvers LV1』upgraded to『Evasive Maneuvers LV2』]
[Skill proficiency reached. Acquired skill 『Hide LV1』]
118