Chapter 81
982 9 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the night grew deeper, our small party slowly petered down, wolves quietly entering into the cave in twos and threes to sleep. They were actually nocturnal hunters, Capo told me a while ago during his treatment. But the creatures that came out to hunt at night were of a much harsher breed than those of day. After coming here they avoided hunting at night, only daring to do so when they came across prey that was already weakened.

Or when Capo could no longer hold himself back from a fight. Was what Boudicea told me later on, when I asked her about why he'd been fighting the Ironwood bear then.

After storing my crown in a safe spot, high up in one small nook of the cave, I circle once around the clearing. High enough that the tall wall of vines couldn't capture me, but low enough that I didn't accidentally smack into an unexpected tree branch. I'd already done it once, and it hurt. Badly.

But that was because I was distracted by a whiff of the same foul possum scent that lightly scented the trees around us. Hidden in the shadows above us, the possum knights were watching us. If they wanted to steal party favors, they would be sorely disappointed. All our meat was kept closely protected.

Crackle.

The dwarf lay asleep in the center of the flames, arms and legs thrown akimbo in his deep sleep. The moment I'd accepted the exchange, he'd headed straight to the fire-pit to lay down, gritting his teeth to make it that far. Though I wasn't sure if it was pain, exhaustion, or a mixture of both that he fought against as his evolution started, Andvari's focus was on the bed of colorful lames that stirred the dark of night.

He didn't seem to notice the heat that ate away at his slaves' tunic. Nor the grey ashes that floated up and away from his body, his coverings burning off him until he was left clothed with nothing but the dark hair that grew all over his body.

Sleeping in fire every night, and now his Becoming in fire. I've never met a dwarf this obsessed with flames before. Crixus quips, picking me up and setting me atop his shoulder the way Greenie did so often. It felt strange to feel a non-violent, non-bloodsucking vine curl around my body and lift me up.

Does it hurt? Your arms?

No pain. 

Crixus curls the small sprouts on the ends in and out, showing me how the delicate leaves could tickle the feathers on my scalp.

The training has done wonders for me to assimilate myself with these...arms? He cocks his head, sharing the same confusion I had on what to call them.

Not what I expected, but a boon nonetheless. He puts out an arm, showing me how he can make it slightly shrink and grow the length of it, bending it and flexing a leafy green bicep. Laughing, I shake my head as he puts up both arms in a classic muscleman pose, making his biceps dance in time with the crackling flames.

Esteemed Lady, I have great expectations for these. There is a slight soreness which tells me these arms are still growing.

This time, he slowly looks behind, then faces forward, flexing what would be his tricep vines that grew and wove themselves atop each other in a structure similar to human musculature.

That's great!

Clapping my wings, I smile best I could to show Crixus how happy I was for him. Every expression he'd made since waking up was full of life, while he worked even harder to train and become stronger.

But then he suddenly grows somber again, crouching to stare at his sprouts.

But I have yet to integrate the new fighting style you taught me with this new Becoming. Regarding these, if you have any words for me, I would gladly take them.

Uh-what?

And that was when I drew a blank.

He wanted advice? The last time I'd given him advice- No, not even advice, I'd only given him a small suggestion!

Why did Crixus' large bull's eyes appear so sparkly??

Put. Put. Put-Put.

And why was his long tail slapping the ground so quickly?!

What advice do you have for me, Esteemed Lady?

This..was not the kind of atmosphere where I could change the subject. So I said the first thing that popped up in my head.

Be- like water? Your mind is a cup.

Crixus stares at me, wide-eyed. His tail no longer hits the ground.

No..that didn't sound right.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Throwing his head back, the Minotaur laughs, slapping his knee with the vines.

Ah... Ha. Ha. Ha. Laughing dryly, I mop the imaginary sweat off my brow.

That was a good one. You're right. I shouldn't expect change to happen at once. It's impossible for me to become water, nor can my mind become a cup. A good jest!

Now what is your true advice, Lady? He asks, leaning his head towards me as if I had a juicy piece of gossip to share.

I guess trying to give him someone else's advice that I barely remembered from my old world wasn't the best of ideas. But what could I tell him??

From my vantage point atop my shoulder, I look him up and down, my mind whirring to come up with something. Fast. The differences were jarring; he appeared divided into three different species. A bull's large head, thin vine arms and thick human upper body still took some getting used to. I couldn't imagine how Crixus was getting used to it.

At the same time, I confirm Crixus' status to help me form my advice.

Spoiler

---Status---

Name:

Crixus 

Race:

Horned Rammstein

Title:

Provocator

Allegiance:

Unkindness

Magic:

N/A

Abilities:

Skill [Weapon Fluency]

Skill [Power Slam] New!

Skill [Roughshod Trample] New!

Skill [Enhanced Rigor] 

Skill [Acute Scenting}

Skill [Iron Will]

Skill [Charge] 

Skill [Skull Crush] New!

Skill [Pledge Alignment]

Skill [Sleep Recovery]

Resistances: 

Pain Resistance

------

[collapse]

From what I see, you're not just a Minotaur anymore. You're more than that now, with these new arms.

As I speak, I carefully pick my words, trying to give him the best advice I could come up with. As a former gladiator, he must know what I was going to say, but I decided not to let that stop me.

Before, you had power, and lots of it, but there's also one more thing you need. One thing I noticed from your fight with Capo. 

What's that?

Speed.

Crixus nods, taking in my advice. Which reassured me that I was on the right track.

And another thing: your new arms, they aren't arms. 

From my perspective, I'd watched as the Minotaur used his new arms quite normally as he'd probably done with his original arms. But that felt wrong too. The vines strongly reminded me of the Siphon Bush and it's vines. 

They're more like tools..

He takes in my words, staring down at his pulsing arms that were settled atop his knees. For lack of new insight to add, I join Crixus in  silence. It was a comfortable silence now as Crixus pondered, reaching up to stroke my head every once in a while.

In the silence, I finally notice the pair of dimly glowing eyes burning straight into us from across the flames. The goblin stood over the flames, poking at Andvari with one of the sticks used to feed the fire. A sense of deja vu strikes me as I watch the dwarf lie motionless.

He looks so comfortable. I quip. It was enough to make anyone doubt whether the flames were hot. I wonder if it was better than the nest I had, a small nest of thatched twigs and leaves that I barely slept in. Andvari's calm expression, eyelids closed with his face finally smoothed of all deep wrinkles made him appear positively angelic. Like an angelic baby. An angelic, thick haired baby, with a long beard that kept his naked privates covered.

Crixus pats me on the back.

On the other side of the fire, Greenie's sharp eyes continue to follow Crixus' repeated actions, rubbing his own empty shoulder like they were sore while looking at the two of us.

I stare back at him, the relief after the sudden advice pop quiz Crixus' sprang on me making my reaction dull. 

Kkki-k.

Greenie coughs, once again sending a slanted look our way. His mouth knits tightly shut, long canines peeking out as the goblin grievously prods the sticks surrounding the dwarf. This time he rolled his shoulders back in a circle, stretching. He was feeling abandoned, the link was telling me.

Guilt stabs me in the gut, along with an underlying sense of tired exasperation. I hadn't meant to make Greenie sad, but he was looking at me as if I was a cheating wife caught in the act.

No Greenie! It's not what you think!

Wait, why am I explaining myself to him?!

Spurred on by the extra push of loneliness coming through our link that Greenie tried so hard to hide, I immediately dive off Crixus' shoulder and fly straight to Greenie. On the other side of the flames, Greenie immediately perks up when he sees me coming, holding out an arm for me to land on.

Behind me, Crixus snorts, hiding his laughter as he watches me go. This guy knew Greenie was watching us the whole time! No wonder he kept patting me so frequently.

Ignoring him, I let Greenie cradle me to his chest (the cleanest it's ever been! yay!) and stroke me like a villain and his pet. In his other hand was the burnt end of a stick used to tickle the soles of Andvari's foot.

He's not very entertaining to poke, is he? I ask. Trying to lift Greenie's spirits, I flop backward on the ground, emulating the way Andvari laid in the flames with his arms and legs splayed wide. I even pull some grass blades on myself to emulate his beard, laying it just so over my nether regions.

Ha!

Snorting, Crixus shakes his head at my antics.

Greenie shrugs, picking me back off the ground and continuing to stroke my head.

Did you have a good meal?

Another shrug. I knew he was happy to see me, but peeved I hadn't spent time with him for so long. Before the wolves, it was always the two of us going out to hunt, to collect information. But recently, most of my days and nights had been filled healing the wolves. I hadn't had any time to accompany Greenie on his trips out to practice with his slingshot.

I missed you a lot when I was out with Boudicea. Leaning in, I play-whisper conspiratorially: I wanted you to be the first one to see me all better.

Crixus laughs again, and I glare at him, trying to motion for him to be quiet. He wasn't helping at all. Greenie's arms tighten around me when I faced the Minotaur.

So I quickly turned back. 

Then, I shall turn in for the night. Crixus calls out to the both of us. Though I don't see him, I send him a private thought that only he could hear.

Do you know who Ildrig is?

Thud. The minotaur's heavy footsteps pause when he hears my question.

Peeking out from within Greenie's arms, I can Crixus see turn, a twisted look of distaste, obvious even on his bull's head.

It is better not to speak of that name. Even more so in thought-speak.

And with that, he too, disappears into the cave.

Well. That gave me no information. All that was left was Greenie and I sitting beside the fire. And a dwarf sleeping in the middle of the flames.

Master. Miss Greenie?

Sensing the lack of confidence in Greenie's tone, I look up, straight into his eyes.

Of course I did! Why wouldn't I?

Greenie afraid. Alone.

His wide shoulders sag inward, reminding me of that dirty, scrawny goblin I'd first met.

I wanted to go back and smack past me in the head. I should've made more time for Greenie, no matter how busy I'd been. Especially knowing Greenie's past as an outcast, unwanted by the rest of the goblins. But there was a reason why I put some distance between us.

I'm sorry about that. Truly. I thought it would be better if we tried to all get along. Not just me and you, but also Crixus, Andvari, Capo, Boudicea, and the others.

I'd hoped forcing Greenie to spend time with others would help. And it seemed to, as he got along fine with Andvari and the wolves. Crixus only, he had a rivalry going.

But I know something that can make you feel better.

??? Master?

Flying out of Greenie's grasp, I drag a nearby dried small tree stump and set it besides Greenie. Then flying atop it, I beckon for him to crouch down so that we were at the same eye level.

Kieek!

Greenie lets out a shriek when I peck myself. I ignore him, waiting for the bead of blood to dribble out of the fresh wound.

No! Master no pain! Greenie no want!

Shaking his head hard enough that his braided mohawk begins to unravel, Greenie scoots backwards. He didn't want to be the cause of my pain. The goblin, bless his heart, would rather remain a pet than have me bleed for a moment.

It's ok Greenie, it's only a small flesh wound. It'll be over quickly.

Hopping off the stump, I chase after him, blood dripping freely out of my wing. In response, Greenie starts jogging backwards, then goes into a full on sprint out of the clearing.

I chase after him, but he was too fast. It was difficult for me to fly in the denseness of a pitch black forest. So I go with Plan B.

Owwwch! Ohhh! The pain~! Greenie save me!!!

My cries for help had the gullible goblin u-turn right back to save me. It didn't take long after that to force feed him a drop of my blood.

[Pet contract between Raven and Pet: Greenie has been nulled.]

[Blood Contract established with Savage Goblin Rare Greenie. You have now recognized him as a member of your Unkindness.]

[Recognition as a member of your Unkindness has granted Savage Goblin Rare Greenie the Right of Kin.]

[Evolution available for Kin: Greenie. Would you like to evolve him into a Hobgoblin Retainer? ]

[Evolution available for Kin: Greenie. Would you like to evolve him into a Goblin Oddwright? ]

36