Chapter 5
714 5 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just as Kylie began to bundle herself tighter in her coat, Asalya got up from her spot, bumping into Naomi as she stood. Without a noise, the wolf slowly started making her way deeper into the cave.

“She must be going to look for that warmth you mentioned.” Kylie explained, seizing the opportunity and standing up to follow.

Naomi looked at the last of the glowing embers. She said a few words in her magic language, and her hand became wrapped in a dim glow, concentrated in the palm. She held up her illuminated hand like a torch. “I’ll light the way as best I can.” 

The cave seemed to grow warmer with every step they took. Naomi’s hand lit the full circumference of the cave wall, but she paused sometimes to hold it closer to the ground, and she only took careful and tiny steps. Kylie didn’t bother keeping up with where Naomi lit the path. Her wolfishness helped her see in the dark.

Naomi nearly tripped over a dark rock jutting from between streaks of whitestone. As she regained her composure, she asked, “So, umm, you had a question you wanted to ask?” 

“Oh, honestly I’d already forgotten.” There’d been enough heavy conversation tonight for Kylie, and she was frankly ready to move on. 

“Go on and ask, I’d rather talk about things than just wander silently in the dark.”

“Fair enough.” Kylie sighed. “You mentioned something about bats when we first got here?”

“I did? I don’t remember.” She approached a wall and scanned it with her light. “I do really like bats. There’s a cave by the sanctuary where thousands of bats live. They’ll come out at sunset. Usually only a couple start, but after a few minutes it becomes this swirling, screeching black cloud that rises from the ground and takes to the sky. Then they fly off to wherever they’re going. It’s really an incredible sight.”

“I’m shocked your Order doesn’t forbid you from liking bats.” Kylie mumbled. “Shouldn’t they, like, be considered dark, evil creatures or something?”

“Funny story about that, as a kid I, for some reason, thought bats were cursed birds. I used to take a textbook to the cave entrance and read to the bats - stuff about how they should consider coming and getting themselves cured, and maybe they could use their power to spread healing magic. I guess I used to think they were powerful somehow? I don’t know, I was a strange child.” She turned backwards, trying to face Kylie but not quite seeing her in the dark. Kylie could see her though. She looked embarrassed.

In the cover of darkness, Kylie was beaming. “Oh my goodness - Naomi Birch, preacher of the path of light to bats and wolves. That’s adorable!”

Naomi stuck her tongue out vaguely in Kylie’s direction and kept walking.

She kept her hand close to the wall, panning across the black rock streaked with shimmering white. Perhaps this was a method of navigation, hug the wall to the left so that, when it came time to find the exit, all they’d have to do is hug the wall to the right. Naomi moved purposefully, like she’d had practice surviving in a cave before. Considering how far she’d had to run from the monster, she may have.

Ahead, the soft sounds of Asalya’s feet stopped echoing across the rocky floor. Yet Kylie didn’t hear her sit down, nor begin to growl. She must have simply stood, silently, in place. That wasn’t normal.

“Asalya?” Kylie’s question came out as a soft whisper.

“Is something wrong?” Naomi shot Kylie a quizzical look, but continued walking. At the edge of her illumination, the wall of black and white gave way to shimmering red. Kylie stopped. The air that left her lungs was in no hurry to return. The red wall looked coarse, textured, patterned. Scaly. The whole mass of it moved slowly out, and slowly back in. Like breathing. 

Naomi kept walking.

“Naomi. Stop.” Kylie struggled to maintain a whisper.

“I’m sorry? Why, what’s going on?” She turned the light from the wall, looking for Kylie in the darkness.

“There’s something in front of you.” 

“There is?” Naomi whispered back, frankly waving the light around. “What is it? I can’t see anything.”

The cave shook as the great red creature circled around itself, the force of the air displaced by its motion nearly knocking Kylie off her feet. The cave filled with sweltering heat. From the darkness emerged enormous teeth, attached to a mass of red scales. It stopped in Naomi’s path. She screamed. The red parted to reveal a single blue eye, bright like a shimmering sapphire and the size of Naomi herself, looking directly at her. 

Naomi leaped back and thrust out her hands. A blinding flash of light appeared on the creature’s eye, one so bright Kylie had to shield her face. Yet the creature didn’t move.

You’re using human magic on me? That’s adorable.

The giant eye lifted up into the darkness. The great beast filled the room with light as they spread their wings and bursts of fire erupted across the patagium of their wings. The black cave gave way to a vast room filled nearly entirely with the creature - the dragon. On all fours, with their neck held high, they matched the height of a mountain. Kylie had never thought she’d see one. She’d never considered what to do if such a fearsome creature saw her. 

Asalya tucked her tail between her legs and gently walked behind Kylie. She was scared, but was safe. Kylie let out a small sigh of relief.

You haven’t run yet? Even after attacking me? The dragon’s jaw opened and closed as they spoke, yet the words and the movements were mismatched. That’s a very poor choice. But a brave one. I like it. 

“We’re sorry!” Kylie cupped her hands around her mouth and shouted, but even with the echo of the cave she wasn’t sure if her voice would reach the dragon’s head. “My friend was surprised, and I don’t think she meant to attack you! We also didn’t mean to intrude in your home. We can go.”

The dragon closed their eyes and opened their jaw wide, unleashing a deep laugh, the force of which echoed off the walls and shook the entire cave. The flames on their wings flared brighter. The heat became unbearable. The dragon spread their wings further and held their arms and claws outstretched. You think this miserable hole is worthy of being my home? This has none of the comforts and riches I’ve claimed. It’s simply a cave where one could take shelter if they cared to escape the weather. It was quite bad luck that I flew into such a blizzard while searching for a couple wandering wolves.

They lowered their great neck, holding their head directly in front of Kylie. But I’m glad they seem to have come to me.

Kylie stood rigidly still. She didn’t know what that meant. She did know that she better not do anything wrong. “I’m sorry?”

Are you not Kylie of Nighthills? Child of Nighthills’ Wolf Mother Madeline?

Kylie couldn’t move. A creature that could destroy her village in an instant knew her name. She didn’t know if that was good or very dangerous. Kylie stammered, “I-I mean, she’s my teacher, not my mom.”

The dragon snorted, sending a puff of black smoke out of her nostrils. Details.

Naomi looked wide-eyed at Kylie, then at the dragon. “How do you know Kylie?”

I don’t, young mage. But her teacher and I are friends.

Kylie had to place a hand on Asalya’s back for balance. Her teacher was friends with dragons? She’d obviously known Madeline knew a witch, but she never imagined she was in contact with creatures this powerful.

Kylie remembered Madeline’s words. “If anyone gives you trouble I’ll unleash a fury on them the likes they couldn’t imagine.”

Oh.

I take it that Madeline has successfully kept our friendship a secret? Odd, If I had the misfortune of being human, I doubt I could hide that I was friends with such a majestic creature as a dragon. But since we have now met, I can properly introduce myself. I am Aalrahzorox. She/her. The dragon lifted her head and flapped her wings for show.

“Madeline was keeping you a secret from me?” Kylie spoke towards the floor, her ears drooping. As the fear of Aalrahzorox subsided, jealousy rose. 

We are aware that she keeps quiet about many of her more powerful acquaintances. I forget some of the reasoning, but I do remember her discussing some parental decree that she was only allowed to teach you if she kept you from certain magical dangers. I suppose your father’s standards would include me. I assume she’d rather not run the risk of losing her pupil.

“My dad kept me from meeting a dragon? By threatening Madeline?” Kylie’s ears spiked up as she stamped the ground with her foot. Suddenly, it all made sense. In fact, it was far too typical.

In fairness, I might be a danger. From what I’ve heard of your dad, I would very much like to eat him. Aalrahzorox parted her lips to reveal her massive rows of sharp teeth.

Kylie pinched the bridge of her nose and took a deep breath, letting her muscles relax. “No, please don’t. He doesn’t mean any harm, he just worries about me and that comes out in the most obnoxious ways sometimes. I’ll just have to talk to him about this. I’ll add it to the list.”

Well, at least now you have the honor of meeting me and the privilege of having me take you home. 

Aalrahzorox slammed her giant claws down in front of Kylie - the sheer force of which threw her to the floor. Asalya barked in surprise. The dragon’s hand loomed above Kylie, the talons spread apart and grinding through the dirt, inching closer to snatching the wolves away.

“Wait!” Naomi ran towards the claws as it sank slowly deeper into the stone. “You can’t take her back to Rodehills, we’re travelling to Crescentia together.”

The piercing blue gaze of the dragon snapped towards Naomi. The air left the cleric’s lungs. 

Why?

Naomi stood rigid. Struggling for breath, she replied, “I’m not allowed to say.”

Aalrahzorox tilted her head. Her claws, their tips still buried in the ground, jerked closer to Kylie and Asalya, tightening the cage around them. Ah, I see. You carry the Light of Laryth. You should not try to conceal things from me, even insignificant things like that.

“Insignificant?” Naomi whispered under her breath.

Tell me, mage, why should I not grab these wolves and carry them home by my talons? It seems like the thing an adult human would do to take care of these lost pups. I can carry you there too, if you want.

“I can’t. I have a duty to deliver the Light. I need to make it to Crescentia, and then back to my home.” Naomi turned from Aalrahzorox to Kylie. The dragon’s claws moved further along the ground, until Kylie’s vision was blocked entirely by the dragon’s scaly hand. Kylie covered her face. Asalya cowered behind her. 

“And I need her help! Her and Asalya both.” Naomi looked at Kylie, shook her head, and closed her eyes. “Or maybe I don’t need them. Maybe I am strong enough on my own. But I want them here! I want friends on this journey. I don’t know if I could do it alone. And even if I somehow could, I just don’t have the will anymore. Please let her stay with me.”

Aalrahzorox’s mouth opened, her teeth displayed in a jagged grin. She laughed, and her laugh shot flames to the roof of the cave. She lifted her claw and returned it to her side. 

Kylie sat up, scrambled to turn around, and gave Aslaya a hug.

The dragon stifled her laughter and her flames. I can’t care less about duty, but I can respect a journey. But this seems like a quest only for the mage. Kylie, is this journey for you too?

Kylie pet Asalya’s ears as she nodded “yes” to the dragon.

Then it seems ill-fitting for me to cut that journey short. Still, you should have left a note for your teacher. She’s worried sick. Aalrahvorox pointed a claw at Kylie.

“You’re right. I’m sorry.” Kylie replied, her voice shaking with residual panic.

Apologize to her when your quest is over. For now, when the weather lets up, I will fly to the Wolf Mother and tell her that her children are safe.

“If it’s not too much trouble, could you not just fly us to Crescentia?” Naomi asked.

Aalrahzorox narrowed her eyes and gently lowered her neck until her nose nearly pressed against Naomi. Now there’s hardly any journey in that.

“Ah. My apologies.” Naomi said, backing away.

However.

Aalrahzorox lifted her head back, pointing upwards. She opened her jaw wide, and a pillar of flame erupted out. The stream of fire pressed against the black and white rocks until they began to soften, glow orange, and melt together. Lava oozed downward from the ceiling until a droplet fell into the flames. The fire followed the droplet downward, the flickering ends of the flames no longer beating against the roof but instead circling around the melted stone. Aalrahzorox stopped adding flames, but continued to hold the ball of fire she’d made in the air with her flameless breath. The fireball contracted around the center. It shrank smaller and smaller, but kept growing brighter. Then, when the outer edge of the fire reached the stone, Aalrahzorox stopped blowing. A red rock fell and clinked against the ground.

The dragon flapped one wing, sending a gust of wind that shot the rock toward Kylie. The wolf girl snatched it from the air. Instantly, a feeling of warmth and comfort washed over her. She hadn’t realized, even being this close to the dragon’s fire, how pervasive the cold outside had been, or how deeply it had chilled her. She inspected the stone. It was about the size of her palm and reddish-brown, with jagged orange markings across its surface. Though not flat on any side, it was wider than it was tall, reminding Kylie vaguely of a throwing disk. It fit neatly in her hand.

That is a stone of dragon’s fire. One should have enough heat to keep all three of you warm on your trip, but I should warn you that the heat will only spread between you three through touch.

Naomi walked to Kylie, and leaned down to take a closer look at the rock. “So we all have to hold on to the stone?” 

Or each other. 

Kylie moved her head to look down at the same time Naomi moved to look up. Their eyes met.

  A blush started to form on Kylie’s face. “We, um, could hold-”
Asalya brushed up against Kylie and yanked the stone out of her hand with her teeth. The wolf sat down, the rock hanging out of her mouth, and looked up at Kylie. 

“- On to Asalya! Yeah, she’s big and floofy anyway.” From her peripheral vision, Kylie could see the cave light with flames as Aalrahzorox chuckle-snorted. Kylie shot the dragon a sideways glare. She’d been right to be scared. If all dragons were like this, they were very dangerous creatures indeed.

Naomi pet Asalya’s ears. Her tired muscles seemed to relax as the stone’s warmth transferred to her. “That sounds like a good plan to me. Asalya, you are being very sweet by carrying it for us.”

Kylie rested her hand on Asalya’s back. Naomi stood up and did the same. Aalrahzorox leaned her head down over the children. I’m sure you’re excited to get going on your quest, but before you do, I have something to say to Kylie.

The wolf girl tilted her head far back to meet the dragon’s eye.

If you ever need to run away from home again, I will help if I can. 

Kylie’s ear twitched. Was that what she was doing? It didn’t make sense. She was nearly an adult, and she had a life she enjoyed at home. Living with her dad was tolerable enough. Kylie glanced at Naomi as the Lightbringer made her hand glow again in preparation to leave. She certainly didn’t have it as bad as Naomi. Kylie’s dad had never sent her out alone. To die. The hair on Kylie’s tail bristled - she stretched her back and stood upright. 

That’s right. She had come here to protect Naomi, to help her make it home safe. But Kylie also had to make sure Naomi’s home was a safe place to return to. “Thank you, Aalrahzorox, for everything.” 

“Thank you so much,” Naomi added. 

No problem. Also, Kylie? Happy birthday.

Kylie beamed a smile up at the dragon. She hadn’t even realized.

“Should we get going? It’s not really safe for us to stay still, and we’ve been here for far too long already.” Naomi’s eyes flicked towards the cave’s inky darkness. Kylie nodded and rubbed Asalya’s neck.

They waved goodbye to their new friend, and began walking through the cave. Naomi hugged the right wall, just as Kylie thought she would. The two wolves had to slow down to keep the healer alongside them, but that was an accommodation they’d long since grown used to. Soon they passed the ashes of their old fire, and made their way up to the icy cave mouth. 

The snow outside had slowed, but not stopped completely. It was strange, seeing all this ice yet feeling total comfort, like looking at heavy snow through a window but not even feeling the chill that permeates through the glass. When they got close enough, Kylie leaned forward and held out her free hand to touch the falling snow. It turned to water, then to mist, before it even touched her. With each step they took, more of the snow in front of them melted away.

It took them a moment to find their pace. They had to take small steps; it took a moment for the snow to melt, and walking while holding on to a wolf was not the most simple task. The stone seemed to work in a small radius around them. A few feet away from the cave they became surrounded to the front and sides with chest-high snow. The path behind them slowly filled back in. Underneath them was a swamp of mud and brittle yellow grass, yet everywhere they placed their feet was dry.

When they’d gotten a distance away from the cave, Naomi asked, “Your teacher sent a dragon to find you?” 

“Apparently. I’m as surprised as you.”

“Do you think my teachers sent someone for me?” 

 Kylie tried to look Naomi in the eyes, but the Lightbringer had her head held straight ahead and Kylie couldn’t find a good angle while keeping beside her. Her gut said no. She said, “I really can’t say.”

Kylie’s ears turned backwards as a rustling noise pervaded the air. Asalya stopped and the girls stopped with her. A dire familiarity rose in Kylie’s chest. The ground was different, so the sound was different. But the speed was the same.

“Not here.” Kylie scanned the horizon until her eyes fell on the shadow creature, seemingly miles away from them but quickly gaining. There was nothing around them but a wall of snow, nowhere to run but onto a plateau of ice that would perpetually melt beneath them. Not a stable surface for a sprint. And even if they ran, there was nowhere to run to. The shadow beast was closer to the cave entrance than them.

Still, even if running would inevitably fail them, they had to try. But as they turned, a voice rang from the cave, just as loud as it had been before. 

Ah, so you’re the pursuer.

Kylie looked for Aalrahzorox, but saw only the beast as it ran in front of the cave’s mouth.

The kids have far to go, Absentia. Take a moment to rest in shadow.

Fire erupted from the cave - a massive blast that filled Kylie’s vision and carried into the distance as far as she could see. She held up her arms to protect her face from the heat, and could feel water from the melted snow pool around the soles of her boots. When the chill of the air returned, Kylie looked to where the beast was. It was gone. Vanished like the snow around it, leaving nothing but a line of charred earth.

Kylie rested her hand on Asalya’s back, and the warmth returned. 

Naomi didn’t join them. She took a few steps toward it, deeper into the cold. “I- That thing, that Absentia? It chased me for weeks. It may have ruined my life. Kylie, I can’t believe it’s gone. I kind of don’t. Not that easily.”
Kylie reached out and grabbed Naomi’s wrist. She felt her arm relax as the warmth spread through her. Gently, Kylie led her hand to its spot on Asalya’s back. “It’s okay. It’s gone for now, at least. We should get moving.”

Naomi took in a deep breath and nodded in agreement. After taking a moment to process, she said, “When you meet Aalrahzorox again, give her my thanks.”

“Definitely.”

They looked to the mountains to find their direction. Then the three of them began walking forward, slowly, side-by-side.

50