Ch 9- Troubles
1.8k 14 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days were spent by thinking, planning and learning. I had decided to help the makeshift commune.

First off, I had nothing to do except train. I wouldn’t be safe outside the protection of the ship. My race was bound to attract some unwelcome attention, the kind which I couldn’t deal with. While my body was stronger than my Tier suggested, there were people stronger than me all around. Also, I had not been trained in sword fights, the close quarter combat training of the academy taught me to break away and search for a gun. It was strictly limited for the do or die moments. True, I had my pistol and rifle, but, even combined, their batteries would barely sustain 500 shots. Only thing keeping them operational was the fission core of the ship.

Second, I had nothing but time on my hands. The previous generation of genetically modified humans had managed to push their lifespan to 200. And I had newer modifications, almost guaranteeing a lifespan of 250 years. I was 34 this year. Also, each Tier of cultivation, both as a mage and warrior, would give me another decade on top of that.

And the last reason was the simplest. I just didn’t want to live in a medieval world for 300 years. Sure, it wouldn’t be a modern heaven anytime soon, but some luxuries would go long way. Like actual edible food, instead of the gruel, bread and roasted meat. And toilet paper.

Thus I started to learn. First thing to do was to review the history and sciences. Since I knew I was in for the long haul when I got my mission to asteroid field, I had brought a digital copy of the archives. I had them, and I had to review them. After all, even though I had spent 8 years in the University of Mars, I was learning mechanical engineering, not chemistry. While designing all manner of engines, battleships and space habitats was something I could do, making sulphuric acid or sodium carbonate wasn’t among that list.

After reading through and thinking through rough outline of a plan, I started talking with Brian. There was so much I didn’t know about this world, and much more that I had simply assumed.

It was lot to take in, but the most interesting thing to me was the economic situation of the elves.

First was the income of the residents of this world.

Each villager, on average, would earn about 5 coppers a day, or 150 coppers a month. Another way to put it would be they would earn silver and a half, as silver was worth 100 copper coins. The next higher currency was gold pieces, with each being worth 20 silvers.

In larger towns, one could expect to earn about 3 or 4 silvers a month. And this was only for the dumb laborers.

If one was a soldier or a guard, he could expect 5-10 silvers. It wasn’t too different for other jobs. But some, like class 1 blacksmiths could earn up to a gold every month. If he was a class 2, like Henry, it went up to 10 times that.

Next were the taxes. While the details changed in every country, broad strokes were the same. For villages, taxes were required to be paid by the whole community by the headcount, instead of it being paid by individuals. Generally, it came to 2 silver per person per year. For town residents, they were paid by the job you did, instead of how much you earned, on a monthly basis. The amount taxed could go up or down based on the mood of the local lords, anywhere from 15% to 50%.

Another thing I asked was about the agriculture and light industries. Thankfully, they were not too different, even if was not the same. The clothes they wore were cotton, but instead of dying them, each bulb grew in different colors. There were olive trees growing, but they had a plant that had a much higher oil content, and it also grew like grains, like wheat. Also, while they had “trees that bled white”, they were not aware of the uses of rubber.

I was planning on continuing perfecting my plans for kick starting society; but Galdwin interrupted me, announcing a “council” meeting tomorrow. It took me couple more sentences to get the gist of it. The 4 who had shown at my door when they first arrived, Galdwin the adventurer, Henry the smith, Larysa the mage alchemist and the veteran Milan had formed some sort of pseudo government, and included me in it without my knowledge.

“I don’t remember joining, though?”

“Lloyd, the village has some issues, so they decided to step up. What we ask of you, is to come and give advice as you see fit. You have no responsibilities to anyone. The other 3 are the most knowledgably people in the village, and you know things we don’t. Well, and I am kinda the lackey of the group…”

There was no demerit to me joining them to listen. If I were to industrialize this world, the thing I was going to need most was population.  A revolution like this couldn’t be done with one man alone. I needed the loyalties of the village to do anything.

“Alright, I will attend this meeting of yours, but tell them to hold it here, in the ship. Also, invite Brian as an observer.”

Thankfully, he knew better than to question me, leaving me in silence once again.

As I was about to return to my studies after Galdwin left, I was uninterrupted again, by Josse this time.

“Boss, we hit a dead end with the goblin mana core research.”

“Oh? It has been a week since you started, right? What do you have for me?”

“It is impervious to heat changes for starters. I managed to test it up to 2680C, and as low as -265C. It had no signs of melting, or a phase change. It definable is some sort of crystal, but I can tell you anything more about the material without a quantum electron microscope. It was hard, but also extremely brittle. No tool, including micro diamonds or laser cutters, could damage it, but it can shatter too easily. Even after it was ground to dust, it didn’t show any new reactions. Only, that it melts into molten metals when in powder form. No test managed to find any difference in the metals, including weight and density tests, as if it turned into gas. Yet, sensors managed to catch nothing.”

It was interesting, yet, in the end amounted to very little. I decided to shelve the project. I simply didn’t know much about magic. Every time ii tried to approach the mage expert resident of the village, she managed to avoid me. Sure I might be a coincidence that she had chosen to go out to gather herbs the first time, but it was not when it happened for 4 times.

Soon the 4 arrived for the meeting, alongside my invited guest. While the Henry, Brian and Galdwin seen the interiors, other 2 had not. Yet they still managed to look more dignified that the smith, who had already been here. I guided them to the room where I had served the guest last time.

“I have been here once already,” the smith gawked, “but this place is so magical. I haven’t seen metal tables, doors and walls anywhere else. I don’t think even the grandmaster smiths haven’t seen anything coming close.”

“Alright, Henry, if you are done being fascinated, we should start the meeting. I still wonder why your apprentice here, through.” It seems like either Milan didn’t enjoy me changing the location, or me inviting someone else.

“It’s because I invited him. As for why I did so, you will be able to see it in a week.”

Three of them frowned at me, but Henry didn’t bother. He was here when we first talked about industrial revolution with his apprentice, so he should have an inkling of what I wanted to do.

“Let’s start the meeting. Before we start talking about the main problem, give a report to fill in others about the situation of your responsibilities. Henry, why don’t you go first.” As always, the old man wanted to take control. At this point, it might even be an instinct. Many ranking officers had such a tick, irrelevant of the time location or world.

“Alright, the lumberjacks are making steady progress with the wood. Trees here are straight and tall, so it doesn’t take too much work to create lumber for houses. The trees won’t last too long though, eventually we will need to pass the river for lumber. Even now, at this side, there is a goblin attack every other day, but the guards are more than enough to deal with them. We are going to need more guards when we have to cross the river.

Making houses is not going too good. While we won’t be able to finish them for winter, they should be okay as long as each family lives in one room. It definitely won’t be comfortable, but it beats freezing to death.

The main problem is iron. I didn’t expect so much demand, so I didn’t bring all I had. Originally, we were supposed to be less than 50, not more than 150. And now, I am running short on iron.”

Next one to continue was Larysa.

“My side is also struggling. There are too many mouths to feed, so food won’t last us even till winter. I can make greenspur potion to speed up the development of the plants, but even then it won’t feed even the fifth of the populace even if I exhaust all my materials.

One a positive note, it was great that we managed to find a mana tree here. My herbs are taking the environment well. I should be able to make minor stamina and minor wounds cure potions soon.”

The last part was what drew my attention. I couldn’t let this woman run away this time.

“I should be able to help you with the construction materials in a month or so, but food issue is beyond me. Even if I open my food reserves, it won’t last 2 weeks. Also, Larysa, please come back when you have time. I have couple questions to ask you.”

She managed to hide  it well, but my implants managed to spot the signs. Increase of heart rate, eyes widening by small margin, facial muscles twitching alongside the ears. It was panic. And fear.

I have a small issue. What would you re-invent in a medieval world when an army is coming for you? Gunpowder. Niter(saltpeter) mines are not too hard to find, and even if you can't, you can always make it with manure. Easy, almost instant way to increase the power of your troops by 10. And that's the problem I have. Release that witch, Out of space, and many, many more novels have done so already. I feel like a copycat author when I think about introducing gunpowder... Any thoughts..?

55