A Request for Help 2
1k 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That simple 'oh' seemed to contain an unimaginable amount of hostile tension. ChunHua lost her next string of thoughts as her confidence withered.

This response... ChunHua's heart jumped. She couldn't even tell if the person in front of her was pleased or upset. Hongyue had such a gentle smile on her lips, it almost created an illusion of safety. ChunHua began to speak out her following proposition only to halt in place with a shudder as her eyes met Hongyue's.

Even if the smile was sugary sweet... those eyes were anything but kind. Such malicious sharp eyes... ChunHua felt like she was drenched in cold water. She wished she could swallow her words back.

W-what? What went wrong?

It wasn't like she hadn't prepared a compromise. It was only that even if she wanted to, ChunHua didn't have anything Hongyue desired.

Hongyue was strong.

More powerful than ChunHua would ever be. Even her mother, who was once a grand second concubine respected by the nobles, was now a disgraced woman who spent her days and nights screaming out in frenzies.

To someone who could play an influential noble lady like a pawn, what would they want?

Surrounded every day by her mother's insanely mannerism, ChunHua could only come to one conclusion. Her mother really was gone at this point. For a weak 'normal' to be able to curse her mother to this state, the only explanation that could be provided was that this eldest sister was currently a vengeful spirit.

But what would a vengeful spirit want?

Revenge?

Her life?

ChunHua had gasped in shock of the idea as she tried to calm herself down. She was wrong. No! She wasn't wrong! She was wrong... No! It was because of her mother. Yes. It wasn't all her fault. There could still be a way out. Hongyue could spare her. In her desperation, she thought of something.

What if she offered to help Hongyue's spirit find peace? Then wouldn't her sister find liberation? At that time, she thought it was her biggest bargain card.

But now... into those eyes, ChunHua was suddenly hit with a terrifying revelation.

But, what if Hongyue wasn't looking for release at all? Then... then... she would have nothing left to bargain with. What could she offer then?

Suddenly ChunHua was shaken out of her jumbled thoughts by a burst of low laughter. Startled, ChunHua gawked at Hongyue with uneasiness. In the empty courtyard, Hongyue's light laughter reverberated in the air bringing forth a dark tone, "You want to help me find liberation?"

Shaken to her core by this abrupt change in Hongyue's attitude, ChunHua almost lost her breath. The once fresh air became harder to breathe, and with it, she lost the ability to speak.

"I-i.."

Hongyue's cloudy, cold eyes were penetrating as if they could see right into her soul. Almost like she could perceive every little thought the second miss was considering about. It was truly fearsome.

Even so, this was her only chance and since she has already reached this far... ChunHua gritted her teeth and mustered her courage.

"Hongyue, does Lan'er know that you are a ghost?"

Hongyue smiled lazily as she rested the white rose near her lips, "Could it be that you would want her to know of this?"

Without another word, she stepped forward. With each slight movement she made, the smile on her face dropped a degree. Her eyes gleamed with a cold light, "Are you resorting to threatening me now?"

"T-this sister doesn't dare."

"Ha. You don't dare? I think you do. Such outrageous words can pass your lips without any caution, and yet you tell me you don't dare?"

"I r-really d-don't."

Why?

Even now, she couldn't do anything right. ChunHua tightened her grip on her dress as her thoughts turned more desperate. If only she was more talented like Lan'er! If only she was more powerful like Hongyue! If only she didn't listen to her mother! If only she didn't do anything regretful in the past!

If only!

If only!

Her eyes reddened with sour frustration. Was it too late? Why is it that now that she wanted to change for the better, she wasn't given such a chance? There was a raw prickling in her eyes before she couldn't help letting go of her emotions.

"Why?! You clearly have the power to... but me, I don't have anything," ChunHua cried bitterly as her tears rolled down her cheeks, "I admit, I was wrong in the worst ways, but I was fed with the wrong ideas. It wasn't my choice. I was a puppet!"

ChunHua reached for her neck as her voice grew louder, "Even now! I'm still a puppet. Why can't I fight for myself?!"

Hongyue didn't reply as she took in the unsightly second miss in front of her. Out of all the possible scenarios that could have played out, Hongyue never thought this was the one she would see. Even when Hongyue threatened death, ChunHua had never dared to look into her eyes so determinedly.

Those eyes... she really liked those eyes but...

"Oh my, what's with these tears?"

Hongyue reached over, her fingers stretched out as if to comfort ChunHua. Her hand movement was slow and mesmerizing as she gently wiped away some of the falling tears. ChunHua looked up, her confused eyes blurred with tears. Hongyue merely continued wiping the tears before she rested her fingers on ChunHua's chin. With a small smile, her grip tightened, and ChunHua couldn't help but yelp out in pain.

"Perhaps you were a wretched puppet, but didn't you eat well? Sleep well? Lived a life a servant could simply wish for but never touch?"

Hongyue sneered, "Why complain so much now? How is it that where you are in the real world, you no longer want to be the puppet? You might as well say you don't want to pay your debts anymore. Using poison to kill your own sister so you could live a better life, don't tell me that you didn't know it was wrong. You should at least knew that in order to get your own happiness, you stole the life of another, didn't you?

She released her hold.

Nonchalantly wiping her fingers against ChunHua's garments before drawing back her hand, Hongyue gave a cold stare, "So what's with these worthless tears of yours?"

"What more are you going to say? That just because you didn't know you were wrong; therefore, you can no longer be at fault? Don't waste my time with useless tears. We all are puppets of this world one way or another."

"Get to the point, what are you saying all these words for?"

Oh my god, these few weeks are crazy! I hope everyone is safe. I've been really struggling with the changes with online classes so I really didn't have time to write. Be safe and healthy!

14