Brewing Tea or Trouble?
2.8k 5 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back at the manor, the Crown Prince impatiently smashed another cup of tea onto the ground. The substantial impact caused broken porcelain to cover the floor.

"Do you doubt my judgment? Who are you to play matchmaker?" He deafeningly roared. His eyes sharpened with a hidden chill.

"I...your highnes-" Concubine Mei tried to appease him but couldn't help but stop her words.

Lan'er stood by coldly, making no attempt to help her parents. Her doll-like face held no emotions, and she gave no care for the situation in front of her. The arranged meeting between them did nothing but angered the Crown Prince even more. She rather not take any part of something that would bring her someone else's disdain. She gazed at the door, emotionlessly. She always hated her mother for being a puppet, but she hated herself just as much. Merely in the name for power, the two scheming 'lovers' treated their children as pawns.

Lan'er stared down at her hands as her thoughts began to drift elsewhere. Hongyue, we are both more alike than I thought. Both of us are pawns to this evil mess and locked inside an iron cage. Luckily, I still have my wings. Since these wings were at the cost of your life, I'll get you out. Even if you have zero ability, even if people jeer at you, I'll still stand by you. It was all my fault. Lan'er quietly promised to herself as she was swallowed in sorrow.

"Master! MASTER!" A servant suddenly appeared. The servant's rapid footsteps sounded out heavily as he came charging into the hall. The general frowned, his eyes narrowed in displeasure.

"How dare you be so unruly?! Do you not see the Crown Prince?" The general scolded. His heart was already unhappy with the current events. He was already scolded before for unruly servants, how was he willing to be subjected to another round of scolding.

"Let him speak," The Crown Prince nonchalantly replied.

"F-forgive me, your highness. General, Madam, there is a large opening in the wall. There might have been an intruder."

The general paled. The manor was a representation of the strength and prestige of the general himself. Someone breaking a hole in the wall meant they had no respect for the general at all. Only he, himself, and a few other higher grade magic users could do so. But now, where was his face?

He clenched his hands tightly. It was such a lousy timing, why did the Crown Prince have to be present to hear this.

"Let's go see it. I've only been here for a day, yet I've already seen the death of a spy, irresponsible tea servants, and now this! I want to see exactly what your general estate is like!" The Crown Prince sneered and walked out. The stomping sound of his footsteps seemed to echo the general's panicked heartbeats. The general looked uneasily at his concubine and followed him out. Lan'er helped her mother follow the two men out, masking her emotions, gazing at the ground.

"Lan'er, you don't blame me, right? I'm doing this for you. Hongyue, that stupid wretch doesn't deserve such good possessions. Only we do, so try harder and try to smooth his heart. Mother's always got the best things for you. Be obedient," Concubine Mei commented under her breath, her fingers slowly digging into her daughter's arm. Her voice was soft but harsh on the ears. Nevertheless, the concubine's eyes were filled with determination.

Lan'er winced but said nothing.

Arriving at the scene, the General instantly felt it was an ominous day for him. On the other hand, Concubine Mei was delighted there was something that she could now use to her advantage. Didn't they say there was a spy in the manor before? Wasn't that hole something to point the story in that direction? This was the perfect opportunity to strengthen their lies.

"Your Highness, it must be a spy. As I mentioned before, there really was a spy in this estate. Your Highness, as you can see, this subject wasn't lying." Concubine Mei's voice rang out shrilly.

"Oh, is that so?" The Crown Prince drew out his words, his mind was unknown. His eyes focused on the wall before him, his emotions steady.

Concubine Mei felt a chill down her back at his answer, suddenly her confidence was gone.

"So you're telling me that someone was trying to break the wall from the inside was a spy. This hole was made by a least a seventh-grade magic user, and you're trying to tell me that he couldn't get out using magic, but he had to break a hole in the wall that's not even big enough to fit through. Or are you trying to tell me a 7th-grade magic-user was trying to break the wall for fun? Or perhaps, every time something disagreeable happens, you blame a spy. You really opened my eyes," The prince mocked, "Truly a great model of our country."

While he ridiculed, someone sneakily mixed in the crowd.

"I saw it! Someone cloaked in black caused that hole in that wall."

Everyone turned to look at Hongyue, who was wearing a stupid smile on her face and pointing her finger to the wall.

The Crown Prince furrowed his eyebrows. This little girl's timing was actually excellent. Why now of all times?

The general scowled. What was this little brat doing here? Wasn't she supposed to be in her room?

"He used some weird words, and suddenly the wall had a hole. Then he went that way," Hongyue pointed toward the general's room.

"Nonsense! Why would I do that?!" The general was growing more and more upset by the minute. Now he wanted more than nothing for the Crown Prince to leave but, this ignorant daughter of his was just giving more and more reasons for others to poke their heads into his business.

Hongyue tilted her head, all the while, she pretended to look clueless. She suddenly started to cry. Big teardrops rolled down her cheeks as she sobbed.

"I..I never said it was you. Why are you so mad at me, father.."

The general froze.

"General, you don't mind leading the way so this prince can be assured," The Crown Prince looked at the general, his eyes unreadable.

"Right?"

59