Chapter 94: Mystogan
290 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Right in the center of the city stood the grand cathedral.

It was one of the most important, famous, and distinct landmarks of the city.

And siting inside of the cathedral, upon the steps of the altar was Laxus, fuming with rage and lightning cracking around him.

He was beyond furious at the situation.

Not only had Bickslow and Evergreen been defeated, but they had also been defeated by people that Laxus had never expected.

In his eyes, Evergreen should have been able to take on Erza.

Laxus didn´t even see Lucy as a fighter and his general opinion of her was bad, especially because of the whole Phantom Lord thing.

And yet somehow, she beat Bickslow.

Freed wasn´t fairing much better as he was still fighting against Gray and Ophiuchus, the spirit had proven herself to be hard to deal with.

And the people that his father had sent him?

Useless, the four dragon slayers had been killed, more than halve of the people had already been defeated and the rest were having rather mixed success against the members of Fairy Tail.

“How… How could this happen. They are nothing! I WILL NOT LOSE TO THEM! FAIRY TAIL WILL BE MINE!” Laxus yelled as the whole room got filled with lightning.

 

Aversia was just about to leave the compound of the guild as she stopped and looked into the sky, her demeanor was serious.

Zeldaris also looked into the sky while sighing.

Multiple large lacrimas appeared in the sky aboth Magnolia, surrounding the whole city.

“This doesn´t look good.” Aversia said while stretching out her hand.

A small fire ball formed on her hand, and she threw it toward one of the lacrimas.

The lacrima exploded as the fire ball hit it.

Aversia waited for a moment, but nothing happened, then suddenly lightning fell from the sky and hit Aversia.

Aversia´s passive absorption of magic power immediately begun to absorb the lightning, but it was simply too much.

So, Aversia opened her mouth and begun to eat the lightning, and after a few seconds, she had eaten all of it.

“Body link magic.” was all that Zeldaris said.

“Yeah. Warren, tell everyone that they can´t attack those lacrimas. That attack had enough power to serious injure someone.”

Warren nodded and begun to tell everyone the news.

“My, my, my. Looks like you guys are quite fast. Maybe this is why my plans have gone up in smoke.” said Laxus as a projection of him appeared between the two half dragons and the guild hall.”

“Laxus! What is the meaning of this!” yelled Makarov.

“That is the ‘Thunder Palace’, old geezer. I brought them here through Freed´s magic, and they are almost fully charged. In less than five minutes, every single one of these lacrimas will bombard the city with lightning strikes, and as you have seen it is not a god idea to attack them.”

Everyone went pale as they heard this, if all of them were to go off, then the whole city would be destroyed and everyone in it would die.

“You have gone insane.” Aversia said in shock.

“HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?! YOU ARE WILLING TO KILL EVERYONE IN THE CITY, JUST TO BECOME THE GUILD MASTER?!”

“That is exactly right. I don´t care how many people I have to kill, I will become the next guild master and I will make Fairy Tail the strongest guild in the world. So, decide, old man, you only have five minutes left.”

The projection disappeared.

Makarov was fuming with rage and balled his fists, but suddenly a pained expression appeared on his face, and he grabbed his chest.

“Master? MASTER!” Levi yelled as Makarov fell to the ground.

Vulcan quickly caught Makarov and yelled, “Quickly get his medicine!”

Max quickly ran off to get them.

Zeldaris, Aversia, Natsu and Gajeel could only stare in disbelieve.

Aversia bit into her lips and turned around, while Zeldaris balled his fists so hard that they turned white.

Natsu started to hit the barrier, while Gajeel closed his eyes.

“Levi, how much longer do you need to get rid of that barrier?” Zeldaris asked.

“Just a few more seconds, than I have it.”

“Good. Natsu! Gajeel!”

The two dragon slayers looked toward their older siblings.

“Although, both of us really want to rip that lunatic apart, but we simply can´t ignore those lacrima.”

“Which is why, I am going to ask this only once. Can you beat him?”

Both Natsu and Gajeel needed a few moments before they fully understood what Aversia meant with that question and as they did, both opened their mouths in shock.

This was the first time ever that the two half dragons would leave an opponent to them.

“TELL ME!” Aversia yelled.

“Of course, you can! Leave it to us! We will beat him!”

“For once, I agree with fire brain over there. Leave him to us!”

“Then we will leave him to you two. But bring Laxus back alive. The master has to decide what happens with him, and I am sure that both of them need to talk with another. So, both of you, give that stuck up idiot a good old reality check.” Aversia said and made her wings grow out of her back.

Both half dragons flew into the air.

“I am fired up!” Natsu said with a grin.

“Ok, I have fully deciphered Freed´s code, but we still don´t know where Laxus is hiding.” Levi said as finished her work.

‘Laxus is hiding inside the cathedral. I will go ahead and keep him busy while you get here.’

Said suddenly a voice in everyone´s head.

“Who was that?” asked Natsu in confusion.

“He finally decided to join this. That was Mystogan, don´t know how he found Laxus but that is unimportant.” Vulcan said while picking up Makarov, to bring him to the resting room.

“Sounds good, let´s go fire brain.” Gajeel said as Levi got rid of the barrier and started to run.

“HEY! Wait for me, your stupid thick head!” Natsu yelled as he chased after Gajeel.

 

Meanwhile in the cathedral, Laxus was looking at Mystogan, who had just entered the cathedral.

“I must say, I am surprised that you are here. But that is good, then we can finally decide who the strongest in the guild is!” Laxus said as he stood up from the stairs.

“Deactivate the ‘Thunder Palace’ and the punishment you would receive wouldn´t be so bad. I would say that either Gildarts or Vulcan would be the strongest members of the guild.” Mystogan said.

“HAHAHAHA! That old man won´t come back and Vulcan is just an old blacksmith, have your eyes gone bad, Mystogan? Erza is still too weak, and those two bastards, they are nothing more than trash.”

“I am not interested to see, who the strongest is.”

“But I am complementing you, Mystogan. Because right now, it´s either you or me that can claim the title of ‘the strongest’.”

“Is that really all that your eyes can see?”

“Let´s settle this once and for all, Mystogan. Or should I call you Je- “

Mystogan´s eyes became sharp as he quickly lashed out with his staff, creating a giant blast.

Laxus casually lifted his hand and fired a beam of lightning.

As the two attacks collided, they created a giant explosion that destroyed all the windows of the cathedral and caused some destruction outside it as well.

Natsu, Gajeel and Erza noticed it and knew immediately that Laxus was hiding there.

“So, it really was the place where he was hiding.”

“Yeah, hiding in plane sight, where nobody would think that he would be.”

 

As the smoke lifted, both Laxus and Mystogan were unharmed.

“Tell me, where did you learn of that?!”

“Did I perhaps strike a nerve or something? It is such a rare treat to see you lose your cool. Maybe I will tell you after you beet me, how about it?”

“You will regret this, Laxus. I will show you magic, the likes of which you have never seen.” Mystogan said while pointing his staff toward Laxus.

Laxus face distorted in anger.

“Bring it on! I will show you where you stand!”

Mystogan pulled out the remaining four staffs from his back and placed them on the ground.

“[Skyscraper]”

The ground under Laxus erupted, sending Laxus flying inti air and through the roof of the cathedral.

The cathedral got completely eradicated by the spell.

“Impossible, he destroyed the entire church!”

The blast sent Laxus even higher into the sky and a beam of light shot out from the ground, where the cathedral had stood before, sending Laxus into space.

As Laxus finally stopped, a rift in space itself opened, revealing a horrifying scaled monster.

Black ropes wrapped themselves around Laxus as the giant monster made the rift bigger with his bare hands.

As the rift became big enough for the monster, it leaned out of the rift and grabbed Laxus, before swallowing him whole.

“What kind of magic is this!?” Laxus yelled in fright, while crying out in fear.

Suddenly, lightning coiled itself around Laxus destroying everything in it´s surrounding, including the illusion.

Mystogan was pushed back a few feet.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What a load of crap! Did you really think that you would be able to defeat me with some kind of stupid illusion?”

“Impressive, but it seems that you are bit too slow on the uptake.”

A beam of light encircled Laxus as five magic circles formed aboth Laxus.

“SLEEP! [Five Layered Magic Circle: Sacred Song]”

Laxus looked at the magic circle with astonishment before starting to smile.

“I wonder, which one of us is slow and hasn´t noticed?”

As soon as Laxus said that a giant magic circle appeared beneath Mystogan.

Both spells went off and Mystogan and Laxus took their full force.

But neither of them had any major effect on either Laxus or Mystogan.

Mystogan jumped into the air and made a sign with his fingers.

The ground beneath Laxus begun to move and rose up to ensnare him, but Laxus turned into lightning and escaped the attack.

“He got away.”

The lightning into which Laxus had transformed quickly moved on the walls and then onto one of the pillars, from there it jumped into the air and struck Mystogan.

However, Mystogan turned into mist, revealing itself to be just an illusion.

The air distorted and revealed the real Mystogan.

“That´s more like it. I have to be honest, you aren´t half bad.”

The sound of the large doors opening ran out and Erza, Natsu and Gajeel entered the cathedral.

“”LAXUS!”” yelled both Erza and Natsu.

“Oh, looks like you guys finally found me. Let me guess, Mystogan over here spilled the beans?”

“Wait! That is Mystogan!” Natsu yelled in surprise while pointing at Mystogan.

“Didn´t know what to expect, but definitely not that.”

“Yeah, that is Mystogan.”

For a moment, Mystogan looked at Erza, an opening that Laxus took advantage of.

“You are wide open!”

Laxus fired a lightning bolt right into Mystogan´s face, destroying his cover and revealing his face.

To everyone´s surprise, except Laxus, Mystogan looked exactly like Jellal.

“Jellal? How… How is this possible?” Erza asked in confusion, the memories of her old friend came back up.

“How? Zel burned you into ashes? How are you still alive?”

“Erza… I-I never wanted you to see my face… not like this. I am not Jellal. I know him, but he is not me. Hopefully, I will be able to explain everything to you and everyone else. But for now, I will leave the rest to you.”

Mystogan´s body turned into mist and disappeared.

“Are all S-Class mages in this guild weird, or is it just me?”

“AHHH! I don´t understand anything of what´s happening here. But I will deal with that idiot later, for now I have to focus on this. LAXUS! I am here for you! Erza, leave him to me and Gajeel!”

However, Erza didn´t answer, she simply stared at the place where Mystogan had been standing, lost into her thoughts.

“Wipe that stupid look from your face! Now come on and bring it!” Laxus said while firing lightning from his fist, electrocuting Erza.

“ERZA!”

“Dammit!”

“LAXUS! I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU THAT YOUR OPONENT IS ME!” Natsu yelled while pointing at Laxus.

“HEY! WHAT ABOUT ME! BIG SIS AND BIG BRO SAID THAT WE BOTH SHOULD TAKE HIM ON!” Gajeel yelled toward Natsu, not happy that Natsu had just forgotten about him and what Aversia had told them.

“Oh, I didn´t notice both of you other there. Since when were you two here?”

Both dragon slayers twitched with their eyes as they heard this.

“Now you have done it!”

“Bring it on!”

“Gladly, you little pests!”

 

While the fight between Natsu, Gajeel and Laxus was about to begin, Zeldaris and Aversia were hovering aboth the city at the place where the destroyed lacrima had been floating.

“I count between three hundred and four hundred lacrimas, could be even more!”

“Same with me. So, want to destroy them all at once, or one at the time?” asked Aversia while thinking about the best solution.

“I am for destroying them one at the time. I don´t believe that we can easily take the attacks from every single one of them at the same time. Besides, targeting so many things at once would be difficult, even for us.”

“True, true. But man, why did we have to wait so long again?”

“So that Laxus is too distracted with what is going on, so that both of us can destroy the lacrima, without him knowing. Don´t want him to pull something out that is even more dangerous than this.”

“Does he even have something more dangerous than these lacrimas?”

“Hopefully not.”

But sadly, both of them had no idea how wrong they were.

 

 

OK, time for me to rant about holder type magic again. Muahahaha!

But first, let me explain why I have so many problems with holder type magic. First of all, why would you use it in battle? Seriously, the only ones that are efficient with holder type, in battle, are Ichia, Lucy, Yukino, Erza, Kagura, Cana, Mystogan and insert person that I may have forgotten. Why would you use holder type when you could use ability type? Most of the time, it is a one trick pony, doesn´t have a lot of versatility and has a hard cap for it´s power. Granted there are ability types of magic that are bad, but in general they just so much more useful and versatile, while also being able to grow stronger with the user.

But let´s look at the exceptions first.

Lucy, celestial spirits don´t have any cap when it comes to their power, which is dependent on the power of the mage. And it gets increasingly versatile, the more keys a mage has, especially when it comes to the zodiac keys. But with the star dresses, Lucy has already crossed the line between holder type and ability type. The last chapter of 100 years quest is the beast example for how far Lucy has come.

Ichia, yeah, I know what you are thinking, and I am not going to explain his perfume magic here but trust me when I say that it is really good. I will get more into it when Ichia appears in the story, now that I think about it, I need to cover letter magic as well.

Cana, her card magic was never meant for power and focusses more on versatility and adaptability, not raw strength. Combining her cards into creating different effects.

Erza, although sword magic is categorized as holder type, I personally think that it is a mix of both types, because the weapons and armors are used as mediums so that Erza can use these techniques and spells that she came up with, by using the capabilities of the weapons and armors.

Mystogan, he uses multiple staffs, which he combines to create different layered spells.

 

Did you notice something? No?

Well, every single one of them uses multiple objects, this way they can over come the normal limitations of holder type.

Either multiple flasks with perfume, a whole deck of cards, multiple keys, multiple staffs, or a different dimension filled to the brim with weapons and armors.

 

That doesn´t meant that I hate it, no, it has its fair uses, but mostly outside of battle.

For example, every single magic object that we see in the manga and in the show, can be categorized as holder type.

And with that, i end my rant!

7