Chapter 5 : The System
268 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So this is my new master? Has the Young Miss made a mistake? A changeling?" A young boy who looked a few years younger than Mino asked as he crouched by his side.

"No, Young Miss would never make such an erogenous mistake. Perhaps she has a plan." The boy comforted himself with the thought.

Mino stirred and the boy looked at Mino with am appraising look. When Mino saw the youth sitting besides him, he didn't cry out or anything, instead he looked at the skies above.

He appeared to be in a flat field of grass the color of blood with a red moon sending light down from above. The youth said nothing as he gazed at Mino, then he shook his head in regret.

"I don't know why the Young Miss allowed me to bond with you, but she never made mistakes, so I'll guide you until you become a success."

Hearing the youth talking to him even as he gazed at the red moon. Neither spoke as the youth looked upwards as well.

"I read most of your memories. You've lived a pitiful life, however don't expect pity from me, you could have done more to avoid your current predicament."

"How? I was only thirteen when I met Kim, what could a thirteen year old possibly do in the face of absolute power?"

"I'm? Excuses? If you had bonded with me a day earlier, we could have avoided this, but alas, such is fate."

"Who are you? And where am I?" Mino asked as he stood up, while the youth just looked at him with an expressionless face.

"You're in my domain, and I'm a system created to guide vampires to their full potential, however you're just a changeling, so I don't know what made the Young Miss choose you."

Mino was confused. Vampires? Aren't they a myth? And what was that about a domain? Who was the Young Miss the boy mentioned?

My Young Miss is not something you can casually ask about, and my domain allows me to create a space sealed off from the rest of the world for a limited time."

"What about vampires? I dreamt that I was fighting wolves? Was that really a dream?"

"Who knows? I just know vampires are real, and that you are transitioning from a human to a changeling."

"What is a changeling? Is it a type of vampire?"

"Only the weakest kind. Of course, vampires can improve their ranks through feeding and fighting, a true warrior species. However you must remember to never try and stand in the sun, not even for a moment! The sun will reduce you to ashes."

Hearing such a glaring weakness, he was at loss. Being a vampire sounded cool, but how could he do anything if he was stuck inside at all times?

"Don't worry, the Young Miss prepared a Shadow Ring for you, however you'll only get it once you become a full fledged vampire."

"Wait, so I can still be in the sun with the ring? So how do I become a full fledged vampire?"

"Ha, you think it's easy? Think again, being a changeling requires a lot more blood than the average vampire, plus your more likely to lose control of your emotions. Luckily, the system protects the host from any hostile excessive emotions."

"So what happened to us? Why am I here?"

"I called you here to meet you, and you're not as bad as I feared. A little help and you can also reach the top, however you have a long path ahead of you. This is the only place where I can maintain this form, outside you'll only be able to hear my voice, and no one else but you can hear it."

Mino closed his eyes and the system's figure flashed and when Mino opened his eyes, he was on the floor, with moonlight streaming through the blinds.

"You should get ready, the faster you feed, the easier it will be for you." A voice said and Mino nodded.

He switched his clothes and wore a black hoodie and pants and headed outside.

"We will be hunting humans, if you don't want to grow stronger, tell me clearly now. However when has anyone ever looked at you with a good impression besides your beloved Kim? Do you really believe that humans are special and not just some other animal with slightly more intelligence than the rest?" 

Mino froze and felt something nagging at the back of his mind. He turned just in time to see a fist nearing his face.

Unable to dodge, he threw his head forward and clashed headfirst with the fist.

With a startled cry, he saw a man who looked to be in his early twenties cradling his fist with a vicious look in his eyes.

Seeing those eyes, Mino wondered if there was truly any difference between humans and the wolves he fought as they both wore the same expression.

"You damn brat, after I take care of you, I'll go tell the Young Master how miserable you felt before dying." The man sneered and reached into his clothes.

The man pulled out a knife, and with a ski mask on his face, he looked like he typical bad guy in a movie.

"He's serious about killing you. I wanted to let you wet your feet first, however it's now kill or be killed. As a changeling, you have more strength and speed than the regular human, however this man may have trained, so you're both equal. Find a fighting style that suits you." The system's voice said and Mino tensed.

He had never liked to kill even the smallest of insects, and now he had to kill a human being?

The thought made his stomach lurch, and the man exploited that weakness. He launched himself forward and swung the blade at Mino, who ducked awkwardly.

With a ripping sound, blood splashed as Mino retreated while holding his right shoulder. A hole was in his shoulder, allowing blood to stain his hoodie.

Seeing Mino gritting his teeth, the man raise his bloody knife and attacked Mino's chest, nearly slicing another bloody wound open.

Seeing the fight not going well, the system decided to help Mino as it was unfair to expect him to fight a trained killer when he just got turned.

"He's going to trick you, as he steps forward, use your elbow and strike him in the throat." The system advised.

Having no other viable choice, he followed it's instructions. The man took a step, expecting Mino to step back as well, however Mino leapt forward, elbow smashing viciously into his throat.

The man dropped the knife as tears came to his eyes. His throat felt as if it were on fire, and the lack of air made him frantic.

Mino picked up the knife and held it in front of him. The man collapsed to his knees, his face beneath the mask turning red.

"Cough cough." The man spat out a glob of spit, speckled with red drops. Mino neared the man with a wary look on his face.

"Do as I say or die." Looking up at Mino, the man felt smug. "You're just a kid, what we you going to do? Kill me?"

Mino looked at the man with an uneasy look on his face, making the man smile.

"As I thought, even if you had a gun, you wouldn't even be able to pull the trigger, just wait until my Young Master comes for you."

"Mino. Kill him. He originally came for your head, showing mercy to others is being cruel to oneself. If you can't kill, how will you get Kim back? Will you plead with her father? Or perhaps he'll treat you with a cup of tea and talk with you? No, if you cannot do it, take the knife and kill yourself."

Hearing the system's blunt logic, he knew it was right, however looking at the man's eyes, he shivered as he thought of killing him.

As Mino remained undecided, he kicked his leg out and knocked Mino to the floor before leaping on top of him.

Sending a few blows to his face, the man tried to wrestle the knife from Mino's grip. Underneath the man, Mino recalled him getting beaten several days prior and a hot rage burned through him.

'I'm tired of holding back. I want to become strong, even if I have to kill others, even if people must die, I never claimed to be a saint."

His eyes turned cold and he started to use the knife to slice several long wounds open in the man's stomach.

Hissing in pain, the man jolted the knife free of Mino's hands and raised it above him. With a vicious smile on his face, he brought the knife down.

However an inch from Mino's chest, the knife felt to the side and the blood rushed out of the man's mouth.

Mino withdrew his hand from the wound he created, and started to throw up as he staggered away from the man who limply hit the ground.

He had used the already deep wound to shove his hand into the man's body and then he yanked the man's spinal cord out of place.

The man lay bleeding out, however Mino didn't pay him any attention as he threw up water as he had eaten all day.

Looking at the man's broken figure and held back his emotions. He rushed upstairs and wiped the blood from his hands while tears came out of his eyes.

He had never liked to kill, however between dying or living, he fought to live. His eyes which were vacant slowly became resolute.

'Even if I must kill, I have to allow Kim to find her happiness.' He swore, and despite the slight tremors his body had, he took a deep breath.

"Good, you aren't a useless changeling after all. Go to the body and feed from him quickly before he bleeds out."

Mino froze as he heard the system. Despite causing the man's imminent death, he still saw himself as a human.

"I understand where you're coming from, however you heart beat is no longer normal, in fact, your heart beats once per minute, and even that will fade as you become a mature vampire. You ate cows and pigs, why not feed from a human when you aren't one yourself?"

 

 

3