Extra chapter: The Kings of Harburg, part three — the Third Century
1.2k 6 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During the third century of its existence, the Kingdom of Harburg shifted from being the underdog to a fully respected and accepted position of power among the nearby countries; though at the dawn of the century the economy of the Kingdom was based upon selling the swords of its soldiers abroad as mercenaries, it still had command of the main and easiest trade routes in the region, necessitating other countries not to anger the rulers.

In later years, through the work of Dominik II and especially Dominik III, the Kingdom shifted its economy from war to mining and trade.

During this century, four kings have sat on the throne, albeit the first two only relatively briefly.

 

King Herik II von Harburg, the Child

Born Imperial Age 647, died 667, reigned 651-667, crowned 662.

Great-grandson of Herik I.

Ascended to the throne aged four, owing to the deaths of his grandfather, Prince Izaak – Herik I’s firstborn son – of an illness in 630 (aged 35), and of his father, Kendrik – Herik I’s grandson – in battle in 650 (aged 39).

Herik II was crowned in 662, when he turned fifteen and came of age; for the first eleven years of his reign, the country was under the regency of his uncle, Prince Dominik.

Preferring to enjoy the leisures of life rather than rule, Herik II was regarded by many as strong and wilful, though he was entirely uninterested in the matters of state, preferring to let the council of nobles handle things.

Herik II died aged twenty in a suspicious hunting accident.

 

King Dominik I von Harburg, the Regent

Born Imperial Age 612, died 677, reigned 667-677, crowned 668.

Uncle of Herik II, grandson of Herik I.

Dominik I inherited the throne after his nephew, Herik II, died childless under suspicious circumstances; he is popularly named “the Regent” since he had previously served as Prince Regent under both Herik I (639-651) and Herik II (651-662).

His reign was short and uneventful; he is mainly remembered for founding the Royal Knights, a special, elite branch of the army, which is under the direct personal command of the King of Harburg.

Died choking on a chicken bone during a banquet, aged sixty-five.

 

King Dominik II von Harburg, the Miner

Born Imperial Age 661, died 720, reigned 677-720, crowned 678.

Grandson of Dominik I; inherited the throne because because his father Herik, Dominik I’s only child, had died of an illness in 671.

A scholar, by studying old maps and by exploring the countryside, he discovered the vast mineral resources of Harburg about twenty years into his reign; he personally supervised many of the mines and foundries that were established to exploit those resources during his time as king.

He died when a mine tunnel collapsed on him when he was inspecting it, aged fifty-nine.

 

King Dominik III von Harburg, the Merchant

Born Imperial Age 680, begin of reign 720, crowned 721.

Son of Dominik II.

King Dominik III is the current King of Harburg; aged 76, he is still reigning as of Imperial Age 756.

Following in the footsteps of his father, Dominik II, he further developed the mining industry in Harburg, and oversaw the shift from Harburgians being mercenaries to them being merchants and traders.

He fell ill in 753; his son Izaak (born 729), at the behest of the council of nobles, has taken over and is ruling the country as Prince Regent.

 

The tricentennial of the foundation of the Kingdom of Harburg draws near: this important occasion will occur late in Imperial Age 756.

 

The family tree of the Kings of Harburg

m5PvgGo.png

31