Chapter 44: Uniforms and Dormitories
1.9k 1 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mari was sick of everything as she lumbered her way with heavy footsteps behind Calliope, who was still playing with the toothpick in her mouth. This woman was strange right down to the way she walked she was like nobody she had met in this world or the last.

“I’m surprised you know.”

“Surprised how?”

“I didn’t think you’d survive a single trial, let alone four of them.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“A decade ago, before Hyogo declared war with life itself, this was a free school for any who wished to learn the art of magic.”

“Does everyone have to go through that bullshit or am I a special case?”

 

“You are a special case, Miss Anno, but no, the trials weren’t made for you, they were conjured in order to test the mettle of future students.”

 

“How many classmates do I have to tolerate?”

 

“Normally we’d have over 100 divided in different classes but this year we only have eight including you.”

 

“Eight special children gathered from all around Ascar. Your class is our last hope, Mari, so no pressure.”

 

The sprawling hallway led to a golden hall that looked like it could easily seat two hundred people this where she’d be mingling with her fellow students while eating what ever gruel passes as food. Mari hated this place, but none of that mattered.

 

If Eris loses this war, she won’t have anywhere else to go to, and her pipe dream of opening that little cafe will be nothing more than a fool’s daydream. Calliope was talking, but Mari wasn’t paying any attention to tired and fed up to care.

 

“You’re not even listening to me anymore, are you?”

“Was it that obvious?”

“You’re lacking in the subtle department.”

“Sorry”

“I don’t dislike that about you, tell you what you’ve had a rough… week let’s get your uniform and show you to sleeping chambers.”

 

 

 

Mari struggled to keep her heavy eyelids from clothing it felt like years since the last time she had a proper night’s sleep and a warm bed to call her own. All had been quiet on the Velvet front, but her words still lingered in her mind.

 

Mari was little more than dead weight and would have to work twice as hard as everyone else to prove herself their equal. Dwelling on it would be of no use, so she swept those thoughts to the back of her mind.

 

She never expected Yoshiki to have a childish side to him, but then again everyone is multi faceted even these so-called wise instructors are just people given intangible authority and status. Calliope struck her as the most intelligent of three.

 

The type of person who is highly perceptive and cunning but has an eccentric disposition, so they are underestimated and viewed as far less clever than they actually are. Mari noted that should they be inner turmoil in the future.

 

“You turned quiet, what are you thinking about?”

“Nothing really just thinking about how nice that bath and bed is going to feel on my worn, tired skin.”

“is that so?”

“Yeah…”

“Well, let’s hurry up and get you there, shall we?”

“I could use a nappy nap as well, but I still have work to attend to.”

“What kind of work.”

“The work kind.”

“Alight, alright, I’ll mind my business.”

 

 

The layout for Lisianthus was built like a labyrinth with cascading paths shooting off into the distance in every direction, eventually after one staircase too many they arrived a long hallway with doors running along both sides.

 

It was akin to stepping into one of those countless generic light novels set inside a school for magic, but as astonishing as this was, this was reality and not a poorly written novel, Mari wouldn’t be getting her own harem soon.

 

After giving Mari the grand tour Calliope showed her two baths and produced a folded up uniform it was comprised a black skirt, white button-up shirt and a red blazer it felt more regal and militaristic than wizard academy but Mari appreciated the aesthetic and it sure as hell beat the cloth that was stained with blood and reeked of shit and piss.

 

“Strip for me, please.”

“Asking a young maiden to strip, you’re a pervert, aren’t ya teach?”

                                        “We’re both girls, no need to bashful.”

“Whatever you say.”  

Mari said removing her clothes letting them fall into a pile at her feet.

 

“Those markings are curious?”

                                         “Stop starring already.”

                                        “I’ve seen nothing like these how did you come by them.”

“They just appeared after my pact with Velvet.”

                                              “Velvet?”

                                              “The void spirit, duh.”

                                              “Marked by the void, hmm.”

                                              “I suspect you’re going to be full surprises, Mari.”

“And I for one am dying to see that glorious tapestry of mysteries unveil itself”

                                              “Is that supposed to be a compliment?”

                                              “You could interpret it that way.”

“Once last thing before I leave you to your bath. From here go right, right, left, right and you’ll end up in the dormitories. Your name plate will be above your room, so you’ll have no problems finding it.”

 

“Thanks for the advice, instructor.”

                                 “See you in class, Darling..” Calliope said, blowing Mari a kiss.

                                 “That one gives me one hell of a headache.”’

 

 

Mari’s eyes traced the red markings that seemed to be slowly spreading throughout her body as they now wrapped around both her arms and were moving towards her shoulders. Mari slowly sunk into the bath water it was warm and soothing and for the first time in a long while Mari felt a small semblance of peace.

50