Chapter 221 – Lifeline to a commoner
55 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aile saw that the old lady's body trembled as soon as she started to push the cart and exerted herself. Aile approached her and offered to heal her injury, and she was wary of him at first. Aile decided to ask for a lifetime discount on her stall for healing her, making it less questionable to her. After some negotiation, the lady was smiling proudly. This is because she negotiated him down to a 50 percent discount only on the first bowl of food from her stall. That was if he managed to heal her. A few minutes later, the light affinity with the restoration had recovered her. She was surprised, and she did not expect that the young man was so talented. She gave him a wide grin, and she had forgotten that the five missing teeth were on display.

She had expected that the treatment was worth much more compared to what he was receiving. She was a bit apprehensive and wondered if she did something wrong. However, after healing her weak muscles, Aile ate some chickpeas with a tangy sauce in her stall and cashed in his 50 percent off discount. Promptly after, he left. As she was expecting some other request from him, she did not even manage to thank him before he was gone.

Aile then found an old homeless man. He was limping and holding his shoulder while his face was contorted with pain. "If you can heal my shoulder, I am willing to do whatever you want, even if it is to work for you without pay." Aile healed him and did not ask for payment. Like this, for the next 2 hours, Aile spent his time curing people. While Aile was taking a break, a dirty young lady approached him. "Are you the one that heals people?" Aile nodded, and a hopeful smile appeared on her face. She wanted to drag him with her hands. However, she looked at the soot gathered on them and stopped herself. She beckoned him with her hands and brought him to a corpse, begging him with tears running down her eyes to heal.

It was of someone that looked similar to her; she looked like she did not have a good end. The corpse's clothes were a mess, and she was bruised badly. Her body smelled of many men, and she had already bled a lot from many different places. Aile felt sorry for the attractive lady that had now become a corpse. Her sister was crying as tears fell to the ground, mixing with the blood. Deep down, she must have already figured out what happened.

Aile could not do anything at this point to the corpse. So he looked at the girl that brought him here and used the restoration affinity on her head. This brought her clarity and restored the dirty young lady, and giving her a calmer mind. Yet this only made her cry louder and more tears escaped from her eyes as her body failed to support her, and she started to wobble.

With a few words of comfort and bringing her a short distance away, Aile tried to coax her. It took some time before she calmed down a little, and she understood and accepted the situation.

However, that did not last long, she immediately tried to discredit him.

"You are a liar."

"You are not a good healer."

"She is fine, she has to be."

"Sister..."

wu

cough

cough

Then she begged Aile to help her sister, but that was something impossible at this point. Aile felt sad, leaving her just like that and wanted to help her hearing her painful crying. After realizing that there was nothing that could be done for her sister. She was planning to commit suicide to reunite with her. As the last person in her family, without her sister, money, and protection, she felt powerless and lost.

Aile decided to talk to her a little, as he felt sad and angry, he felt empathy for her. She was without anyone and alone.

After she became a little stable, Aile tried to figure out what happened, and he found out that it was the doing of a gang back by a powerful family.

The girl had gathered a small crowd, and eavesdropping on their conversation, he figured out a few clues as to what happened.

However, her eyes had dimmed, her head was lowered, and tears continued to escape. 

Aile realized that she had no reason to live, and with her lifeless eyes, she was searching for a way to kill herself. To bring a little change to her and treat her sister with some respect, Aile first helped her bury her sister and then realized that she seemed to be grateful to him, but there was no desire to live.

"Can you please make it bigger, I do not want her to be alone?" She said with hope in her eyes.

Although her life and death had little to do with him, Aile decided to be helpful this time, he felt her pain. But normal methods would not work. She had resigned herself.

One thing Aile noticed about her was that she asked for her sister to be buried traditional to her culture. She seemed to still respect her culture and word.

So he asked for payment, and the young girl looked dejected, knowing that she had nothing to offer. With more tears in her eyes, they turned more lifeless. Aile asked for 10 gold coin for the help he provided.

She looked at him indignantly and knew she could not do anything. 10 Gold coins were an exorbitant price, something most people could not make in a lifetime.

Lifelessly, she nodded.

She owed him, and she was weaker without any means to make money. So she could only resign for an unpleasant fate as she had nothing to live for. She just listened to the only person that cared. At least he respected her sister, and this much help and burying her body properly made her accept the price with the condition that once she lost her value, she should be buried next to her. 

Aile then made her an offer that she could work in a mansion for a few years. If she manages to make enough money, then she can pay him back. Although wary of him, she followed him into the mansion at the centre of the town.

Soon she was given to Anna, so she could get trained as a maid, Aile would lose in this situation. As her cost of living plus the higher than average pay would make her into a liability. But he wanted to help this time, even if it came at a loss to him. After all, he was not planning to take her hard-earned money later.

She was without anyone and at the end of her rope and could only see herself dead as the circumstances pushed her too far. Giving her a source of income, the ability to converse with people, a stable environment, Aile hoped that she would want to live again. He was not good at this kind of thing and so he entrusted her to Anna, hoping that perhaps they could handle it better. At least now, she would have a few things that will make it more bearable to her.

Aile had seen enough of the abuse of power that affected the weak. Seeing it from afar does not bring much reaction to him, as it is not an uncommon sight. However, interacting with these people made him empathize. Hazel too hated such a thing, and her caring attitude about the commoners had rubbed on to him. Plus, in the inherited memories he experienced, he also had him endure the commoner lifestyle. He could relate with them more than others, and he could feel her pain more.

So on occasion, Aile would lend a helping hand.

He had also found the location of the gang and found the place where they stayed. He was ready to use a more efficient method to improve his light element. He would bring them to a near-death state before healing them. This way, he would vent out his anger and also improve his restoration affinity.

 

1