Land of the Demon King Story Arc, Part VIII [Epilogue]
169 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One week later, mid-afternoon at the Winter’s Solstice…

It was a quaint little café and bar by the waterfront in the recently rebuilt village of Wintervale, complete with alfresco dining on a big glass floor with the pristine waters of the half-frozen lake underneath. Here, one could relax in full view of the lake, and stare down and watch the fish swim around.

Elena leaned forward from her rather comfortable chair, an elbow placed upon her table and a hand upon her cheek as she gazed out lazily into the seemingly endless expanse of icy blue ahead of her, awash with golden sunlight from the skies up above while a warm breeze gently stirred the air. It was all so nice and comfy, exactly the way she liked it.

Nearly. Almost. Claire was not here. Her table was clearly meant for two, just as the café itself, menu and ambience and everything else, seemed to be catered for couples and friends. The empty chair set just opposite of hers, was admittedly a little bit of an eyesore.

The rest of the café, though, was a sight most welcome. It was nice and quiet, now that it was just past the lunch hour. Pretty, too. Now that she was done preparing the report for Lady Mezalune’s perusal, she had enough time, probably, to have a little bit of it for herself. At least, until her Archon mistress needed her for yet another task.

In the meantime, a young lady in a white blouse covered by a black apron, came over bearing a tray with her order – a red cocktail mixed from lime juice, strawberries and champagne topped off with crushed ice and a long, fancy straw, the edge of the glass itself and the plate holding it decorated with freshly-cut strawberries. When she set it upon the table, Elena gave her a tip, her crimson-eyed gaze still idly gazing upon the frozen lake.

“Ma’am…?”

Wordlessly, Elena looked away from her drink and the lake, shooting a cursory glance at the waitress, whose face quickly flushed red with embarrassment.

“Um… I remember you, that scar on your face, and those earrings…!”

“That a good or bad thing?”

“Oh, um…” the waitress stammered in reply, as she scratched absent-mindedly at the back of her head. “You’re the sorcerer who went into the abbey to fight the demons, and the Witch…”

Elena found herself frowning ever so slightly, though not enough for the waitress to notice it amidst her anxious bluster. She had gotten around the town with little to no fuss as another adventurer, as another traveller from the Lord General’s dominion heading south to the Holy See and the lands beyond. Until now.

“Thanks to you and Ser Kyrak, we survived that horrible ordeal! I can’t believe that you’re here before me! I have to tell mom, and the others…”

“Neither can I,” Elena answered with a wry smile. “But don’t go around telling, okay?”

The waitress frowned.

“Why not?”

“I’d just like a little peace and quiet, if that’s alright with ya.”

“I see…” the waitress remarked disappointedly. “But then, um… is there anything else I can do for you, though?”

“As a matter of fact,” Elena declared playfully, after a moment’s contemplation. “Yes.”

“Oh?”

“When you see this drink of mine go empty, bring another. Every time you do that, I’ll double that tip.”

The waitress looked at her tip, at the two silver coins in her palm. Her frown turned to a smile, and she nodded excitedly at Elena.

“Will do!”

“Good.”

With that, the waitress went back into the café. Elena, on the other hand, went right back to what she had already been doing with great proficiency, lazily sipping her drink through its straw as the gaze of her crimson eyes came to rest upon the frozen lake, once more.

Heya! 

We've come to the end of another story arc! Thank you for reading, and be sure to give a rating, follow, and favourite if you're enjoying the series thus far and haven't already!

Love,

Kyshies

4