Arc III – Chapter 67: Final Preparations
604 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the opening date was getting closer and closer, Illianna was working hard to make sure it was a big and flawless event.

"So, why do I have to be here too?"

Sian questioned Illianna, who was standing with her arms crossed, observing the tables and chairs arranged in the restaurant hall.

Without giving Sian an answer, Illianna muttered, "This isn’t good..."

"Ahem!" Trying to attract her attention, Sian cleared his throat.

Ignoring him, she ordered the employees to move and rearrange the tables in the hall.

Considering the tired look on the faces of the waiters as they moved the luxurious looking tables, Sian guessed that they had been doing this for a long time.

"I don't understand the point of moving these tables around so much, just leave it the way it was." Sian said.

"The tables need to be arranged in a way that doesn't get in the way of the flow of customers," Illianna replied. "Since I want a successful opening, everything needs to be spotless."

"Then just do it with your skill. You could rearrange everything in a matter of seconds."

"If I had to do everything, then there would be no need to hire employees. Besides, this also serves as experience for them."

Illianna pointed to Edwin, the former leader of the Silver Moon mercenaries, and his former teammates who were also helping with the tables.

Although the restaurant on the second floor was divided into two sections, the area of both was considerably large. Even though they were on the same floor, both restaurants were in opposite areas.

"I don't understand the need for two restaurants," Sian said. "Why not make a big one?"

Still examining the distribution of the surrounding tables, Illianna said, "It's like I said before, it's necessary for two separate areas to function as restaurants."

According to her words, the area where they were now was for nobles and wealthy people, and the other was for the rest of the general customers, such as commoners, hunters and mercenaries.

Receiving Sian's inquisitive look, she continued. "Even if it sounds like discrimination, a distinction between social classes is important, otherwise many nobles wouldn’t come in case they have to share the same environment with commoners."

"The nobles can just eat in the private rooms,'' Sian said.

Also being a restaurant, the second floor had several private rooms available to anyone who could afford them.

"Many nobles enjoy socializing with those they consider their equals during meals."

"Well, have it your way."

Preparing to leave, Sian turned his back to her and with a slight wave of his hand, he said, "If you have nothing to talk to me about, then don't call me."

"Wait."

Before Sian could take a step forward, Illianna grabbed his arm.

"I called you to talk about the restaurants' menu."

"Oh!" Turning to her, Sian put his hand on his chin. "I've been thinking about it a lot. Even though I know you'll probably be against it, I think white bread should be the staple when it comes to breads."

"It's not that I'm against it, but the food served to nobles cannot be the same as that served to commoners," Illianna said. "Besides, if we are going to serve white bread, it won't be affordable for everyone either due to the cost price."

"I can solve the issue with the base products for the bread," Sian said. "As for the question of the difference between the food for both restaurants, even excluding the bread recipes I know, there are still several options available."

"You mean the-"

"The Sacred Treasure!" Before Illianna had even finished speaking, Sian interrupted her and said pompously. "They range from the simplest to the most exquisite. I guarantee that they can satisfy even the discerning palate of the nobles."

After a brief pause in which he seemed to be thinking whether to argue or not, a resigned expression formed on Illianna's face.

"Since you insist, do as you wish."

"Great, there are so many things I want-"

"Stop right there," Illianna put a brake on Sian's enthusiasm. "Diversity is a good thing, but if it's too much, it can get in the way."

"How will having different kinds of food would get in the way?" Sian asked.

"That would force us to buy a very large amount of ingredients that could spoil if the dishes are not ordered."

"Okay, you have a point, but-"

Before Sian could continue, Illianna covered his mouth with her hand.

"The dishes should also be quick to prepare. Elaborate dishes are fine, but if you have too many options, it will only give you a headache. We should avoid very distinctive and exotic dishes that require a lot of preparation time. Of course, that can change if it's a reservation."

“I see...” Seeing that Illianna seemed to understand about the matter, Sian asked her. "What do you suggest I do?"

"You need to prepare a list of the dishes you want to serve," Illianna said. "You can start from the basics like a list of drinks, juices, entrees, salads, and desserts that you think will be popular. The same goes for the rest of the dishes. When you're done, we can create the menu from there."

"What about people who can't read?"

"After we decide on the menu, I will create a board with some images to illustrate it."

"But it has so many options that I find it hard to choose just a few..."

As if waiting for the question, Illianna said, "That's simple to solve. Let's change the menu weekly. That way we can have a variety of dishes, satisfied?"

Staring at her for a moment, Sian nodded.

"I guess I need to thank the goddess Zenobia again."

Rolling her eyes, she simply ignored Sian and had him create the list to make the menu while she coordinated the employees to organize the hall.

***

 "Done," Illianna placed a stack of papers on her office table, which Sian was leaning over with his chin resting on his arms. "We already have the menus for the restaurants."

"Can I go now?" Sian grumbled as he raised his gaze to her.

"No, you can't. We still have things to do."

Even though he knew his presence was necessary, Sian did not like being alone with Illianna at all. In recent days, whenever they were together, she forced him to learn etiquette, how to manage business and how to deal with people.

"I'm just trying to help, but still, you always act like a child who is grounded. Even your daughter is more dedicated than you."

"My bad…" Sitting up properly in his chair, Sian said, "It won't happen again."

Even if he tried to show a serious expression, as this was something recurring, Illianna simply ignored it and went straight to the point.

"Even if we count Ophilia and Francionia, we still need at the very least one more chef."

As they had agreed before, Fran and Ophi had already been allocated to their respective places. Now, even though Illianna had not expressed her intentions directly, Sian immediately understood what she was getting at.

"Will you take the remaining post?" Illianna asked.

"Of course not," Sian promptly replied.

He knew that if he accepted, he would have to spend the whole day stuck in the kitchen. Furthermore, he would not only be making food for the noble wing restaurant, but also the private rooms. Obviously, he would have several helpers, but still, this was not something he would want to do.

"Why not?" Illianna stared at him.

"It sounds like a lot of work to do."

"Don't you like to cook?"

"No," Sian immediately denied. "The reason I cook is because I like to enjoy good food."

"But-"

"Out of the question!" Sian crossed his arms in the shape of an X. "Spending the day cooking for strangers is not for me."

"Does that mean you simply intend to throw all your work at other people while you just look on from afar?" Illianna stared at him.

"Err... Do you think it would look bad if I said that this was my intention from the beginning?"

"Although I want to say yes, you are not wrong," Illianna sighed, "In any case, it makes me frustrated."

Leaning back in her chair, Illianna remained silent while she had a thoughtful expression.

Normally, when she got like this, Sian would just watch her in silence to avoid receiving her lessons, but since dinner was near, he chose to break the silence.

"You don't have to worry your head about that. I have someone in mind. In fact, in the first restaurant idea, I was planning to bring her in from the beginning."

His words immediately attracted her attention.

"Do you think she can handle cooking for nobles?"

"I'm sure of it," he replied. "She's a great cook. We often cook together and exchange recipes."

With an obviously forged expression of surprise, she said.

"I don't know if I’m surprised that you’ve planned something or by the fact that you have a friend other than the ones you knew in childhood."

Ignoring the first part, Sian said, "Of course not, you're my friend, right?"

"No, I'm not," Illianna said. "Our master and slave relationship cannot be considered friendship."

"Come on, don't say that. I know you consider me a friend. Whenever you have the opportunity, you chatter almost endlessly with me."

"Enough small talk, let's get back to what matters." Illianna tacitly changed the subject. "Even with your friend, it will still only be 3 chefs, which leaves us with the bare minimum."

"Why didn't you hire others along with the employees?"

"That was my intention, but even with Charlotte's help, we didn't get even one," Illianna said. "Even if we ignore the fact that not a single cook came, the rest of the staff aren't the best either. They are way below what I was aiming for."

Seeing the serious look on Illianna's expression, Sian began to worry about the hotel situation. But due to his carefree personality, this only lasted until Emily came to call them to dinner.

23