Arc IV – Chapter 122: Reincarnated’s Meeting
207 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

With Charlotte's arrival, Sian introduced her to Joan, letting both of them know that they were in similar situations. As the conversation progressed, Sian discovered that the girls had different ages when they were reincarnated.

Illianna had already passed the age of fifty before her reincarnation, Joan was in her early thirties, and Charlotte was in her twenties. It appeared that they all came from the same world called Earth and as the first two came from a country called the United States, Charlotte came from a country called Japan.

Sian also told Charlotte about his recent discovery, explaining that the reason he was able to know about their secret was probably because he was from another world. As for the reason why Emily and Ophi were also able to know the truth, that was still a mystery they couldn't decipher.

Like Illianna, Charlotte had also tried, and when she thought about telling the truth to them, the contract did not take effect, and she realized she could tell them if she wanted to.

"In a way, Sian, you're like a transmigrated individual without a system," Charlotte remarked.

"Although I do wish I had the cheating skills of yours," Sian complained.

Setting that aside, Joan voiced her curiosity, saying, "But what intrigues me the most is this impending evil."

Sian also had his curiosity piqued by this. From the unique skills of the three girls, he knew that all reincarnated persons possessed cheating skills and they were more powerful than divine skills. Illianna's skills were by far the most powerful when compared to Charlotte's and Joan's, although neither of them was oriented towards combat.

Considering that their skills weren't focused on combat but could still be of great assistance in that regard, the combat-related ones were likely to be overwhelmingly powerful. Sian was eager to see them in action.

Unfortunately, none of the girls had an offensive-type for him to check. However, if the combat-related skills were as oppressive as Illianna's, the impending evil they spoke of must be a formidable adversary.

"The only event I remember where the gods brought people from other worlds was during the calamity,” Sian commented. “That alone shows that a strong enemy is probably coming. But if that's the case, why didn't they send an oracle to warn the people?"

Joan replied, "I think it's to avoid panic."

"But why hasn't the church done anything about it?" Charlotte asked.

"They haven't done anything publicly," Joan emphasized. "According to what King Franklin said, they are definitely aware of something. It's likely why they want everyone with divine skills."

Sian looked at Illianna and asked, "Do you remember when I mentioned the church boycotting magicless inventions?"

"I do," she nodded.

Sian continued, "I obtained information from Joan."

As the eyes turned to Joan, she proudly said, "Even though my kingdom is small, I also have my ways of gathering information."

"What did you find out?" Illianna asked.

"The church has many mysteries, particularly a connection to the oldest criminal group that suppresses the kingdoms, the Eternal Shadow," she said. "They act under the church's orders, but unfortunately, I couldn't get 100% reliable information."

"How did you get it?" Charlotte asked.

"She slept with one of the church cardinals," Sian said.

Upon hearing his words, Charlotte's face immediately turned red.

"The means don't matter. What matters is that I discovered many things," Joan said. "And one thing that is not a rumor is that a dragon guards the headquarters of the church."

Continuing, she added, "After the assassination attempt on my life and being called a sinner, I had to find out if the church had anything to do with it, and I was right."

"It turns out that the vampire who attacked me claiming to bring punishment to sinners was a member of the Eternal Shadow," Joan said. "From the information I have, they have already destroyed many kingdoms and cities under the church orders."

"Why do they do that?" Charlotte asked.

“I don’t know for sure,” Joan shook her head. "According to my sources, they probably destroy anyone who tries to make technological advancements without the use of magic. But as if to prove that my source was correct, since I haven't created any non-magical technologies since the attack, they haven't come back."

"Eternal Shadow,” Illianna murmured. “I've read about them before. If they work as the church's hounds, their actions start to make sense."

According to Illianna, this is a group that has existed for thousands of years. To be more specific, no one knows exactly how long they have existed, but all the world knows is that they are dangerous and seem to exist everywhere. But something strange is the way they operate. Even if they go years without showing their name to the point of seeming to have ceased to exist, they suddenly reappear and simply cause a massacre and then disappear again.

"You know a lot for someone who was confined," Sian said.

"Despite being restricted, I had several books at my disposal," Illianna replied.

According to the books Illianna read, there doesn't seem to be a pattern or objective in their attacks. For example, in the attack on the Kingdom of Fusion about 80 years ago, they simply attacked and killed the entire royal family, all the dukes, and several other nobles. However, they spared civilians.

It seemed like they just wanted to see chaos and panic. But there were also attacks where they killed many civilians indiscriminately. They are a mystery. All that is known about them is that they follow a leader called the Immortal Shadow, and there is an elite unit called Blood Raiders.

"I think they're probably getting rid of those who go against the ideology of the church," Illianna said. "Considering what the church in my previous world did during the Middle Ages, it's likely that the church here is equally cruel but it knows how to cover its evil deeds."

"If they need all the help they can get to confront imminent evil, why did they stop me from creating weapons?" Joan asked.

"That's a mystery," Illianna said. "But the Kingdom of Fusion was also developing technology without magic, and their main focus was on steam engines and weapons such as automatic crossbows and powder-based cannons."

"These weapons do things that magicians can do," Charlotte seemed confused, "so why destroy the kingdom?"

"That's something I would also like to know," Illianna said.

"The more information we have, the more confusing it becomes," Joan sighed.

"I understand that your world didn't have magic," Sian said, "but where did all the thousands of stories called isekais come from, where people go to other worlds?"

"What stories?" Illianna and Joan looked equally confused.

"The ones Charlotte told me," Sian said. "The stories she told me are very similar to the reality of this world."

Receiving the girls' gaze, Charlotte quickly shook her head. "They're just stories without any truth to them."

"Really?" Sian asked, with a hint of disappointment.

Charlotte nodded.

"It's a shame," Sian said. "I thought I could get some clues from them."

"There were an abundance of literary genres, it's understandable that there are similarities," Illianna said. "But they are purely invented stories."

"Speaking of invented stories, I heard some bards playing yesterday," Joan said. "They seem to be working hard to improve Sian's image."

"I need him to have a good image," Illianna said.

"I noticed," Joan laughed. "They're putting him as a justice hero who is always against evil. You really hired some good ones. I was absorbed in them telling stories about how Sian fought against the hydra or how he fought against some evil noble who oppressed the commoners and things like that."

"Recommendations from Charlotte," Illianna said, and looked at the wall clock. "The conversation is good, but it's time for Sian and me to go to work."

"Are you going to start building the casino?" Charlotte asked.

"That's right," Illianna replied.

Charlotte got excited and said, "There are a few gaming houses here in Poutis that are successful, I'm sure something like a casino will definitely attract people. I'll do my best to help you."

"Unlike the hotel, the casino is aimed only at the wealthy. And inside the casino, I also plan to have a luxury brothel."

In Illianna's words, during the time they prepare the casino, it will give an interval for the upper class to see the hotel and evaluate it. When they realize how good and superior the hotel is compared to others out there, they will begin to have expectations for the exclusive casino for nobles and wealthy merchants. This way, while generating anticipation and anxiety among them, it will also serve as an opportunity for word-of-mouth advertising among them.

"We're going to need more people to work, especially beautiful women who know how to handle and interact well with others," Illianna said.

Sian was confused and asked, "Why do the girls need to know how to interact with people?"

"Sex can be used to relax and relieve stress, so the brothel will be a place for guests to feel comfortable and relaxed,” Illianna replied. “It will be a place where guests come not just to satisfy their sexual desires, but also to calm their hearts, release stagnation from their minds, and refresh themselves."

Looking at Sian, she asked, "I'm sure you've done this before, right?"

“Yeah,” he affirmed.

"But the girls in the brothel need to be educated, attentive, good actresses, and know how to read and interpret the environment to calm the guests. Nobles and the wealthy mens like to show off and talk. They like to brag and have their egos massaged. The girls should know how to take advantage of that and make them spend as much as possible."

"You seem to know very well how a high-class brothel works," Sian remarked.

"I haven't had a very pleasant life in my past life. I had to do many things against my own will until I finally gained my freedom," Illianna replied.

"It seems like your life hasn't been easy," Sian remarked. "But honestly, I think these are quite high requirements for prostitutes."

"Of course it is. They will be luxury girls," she said. "Besides, everything will be done in a way that the girls do not suffer. Any violent or rude guest will be denied and banned."

"I'm not sure if that's really necessary," Sian hesitated.

"Try not to see this as just a brothel," Illianna said. "If all goes well, this city will be a huge commercial hub in the future, so many important people will come or pass through here. This would be a good opportunity to create connections. These are essential things for a noble like you. Furthermore, we can find business partners and make agreements more easily."

How can you be so sure about this?" Sian asked.

"We live in a patriarchal society where men handle the important matters," Illianna said. "However, despite the fact that most of them treat women as inferior, they can easily be manipulated by feminine allure. While they pay for the girls' services, they will also be in a vulnerable state where we can uncover their secrets. That's why the requirements for the girls are high and they need to know how to conduct a conversation."

"I totally agree with her," Joan said.

"If you say so, then I won't doubt it," Sian said.

"While we build the hotel, we need to get qualified and variably attractive girls. Not slaves, but women willing to work for money," Illianna said.

"I'll tell Frank to handle it," Sian said.

"You should stop relying on him,” Illianna said. “If you're a noble, you need to have your own network of informants and people to do the work for you."

"Okay," Sian said. "I'll send Bardock and the other two with the ex-mercenaries to do it. Although they haven't completed the training, I think they can handle something so simple."

Turning to Charlotte, Illianna said, "As we'll need someone to educate the girls about etiquette and manners and how to behave and talk, we'll need your help."

"You can count on me," Charlotte replied enthusiastically.

After the conversation, Sian immediately called Edwin and gave him the task of instructing the ex-mercenaries to search for the girls. In addition to the girls, Sian also gave him another task, to recruit men to act as guards for the hotel.

After bidding farewell to Joan and Charlotte, Sian and Illianna began the construction of the casino.

 

If you're curious about what happens next, you can read advanced chapters on my Patreon.

Of course, if you simply want to support my writing, you are also welcome =D

3