Chapter Five: Fortress
116 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aaron stared at the several people in front of him, their names were hidden under the obscurity of their group. Other player names were only revealed when initiating combat, or by the player's decision, so that didn't exactly help him pinpoint the strongest member of the group. Yoona stood beside him, her lyre floating by her side. They had found the dungeon entrance in Fort Kover, but it seemed they were not the first to get there by any means.

"Reveal yourselves." The person in front spoke to him. He was seemingly elderly, with a fierce accent that was rough and refined. Since character creation imitated the original face of the player, he could without a doubt say he was a veteran.

"You first." Aaron pointed his sword at him, "We will not let you control this territory without a fight."

He sneered but was hesitant to engage, "Very well."

A name popped up on top of his head.

Spoiler

div>

<Rebellion>
Grand Knight of Storms - Darius | Level 8
Grand Knight of Storms
Winner of the Season 1 PvP World Championship (1 versus 1) in Primal Online
Winner of the Season 1 PvP World Championship (1 versus 1) in Conviction Online
Winner of the PvE Event | Speedclear: The Living Weapon, One Thousand Swords in Conviction Online
[collapse]
 
Aaron looked at his name keenly. He had heard of this person quite well in the past. Although he wasn't acquainted with him personally, he was greatly respected in the early seasons of Conviction Online, which was the predecessor to Perfect World, made by the same company. His duelling prowess was wholly unmatched at the time, and even though his age eventually got the better of him later down the line, he had gotten enough money through event winnings to retire without any worries.
 
"I will show you mine, then." Aaron swiped his hand.
 
Spoiler

div>

<Avalon>
God King's Champion - Aaron Arthur | Level 11
God King's Champion
Winner of the Season 20 PvP World Championship (1v1, 3v3, 5v5) in Primal Online | Complete Season Dominance
Winner of the PvE Event | Speedclear: Dragon God Lia, Light of Creation Hell Mode in Conviction Online 
Winner of the PvE Event | Race to World First: Complete Leaderboard Dominance of (Expansion: Shadow's End) in Conviction Online
[collapse]
 
After looking at Aaron's name, he gave a hearty laugh, "Alright, I see where this is going."
 
Darius signalled to his allies, which ranged in the several dozens. Aaron had gotten Yoona and plenty of their alliance members from Grind Company to assist him on farming, which is why his levelling process was so accelerated. Their herbalists were already crafting potions that gave small experience boosts along with controlling the area for the most part. He was hoping his numbers would match theirs, even if they had to battle them this early on.
 
"We will be leaving," He spoke in a cool and collected manner, once again signalling for his guild members to back away. Some of them had already ported to a different spot, presumably another area they had found, "This battle is not worth fighting for."
 
"Are you sure?" One of his followers asked.
 
"Yes, this is Guild Avalon we're dealing with." He shook his head, "We will find bigger fish in the ocean. No need to fight over a small pond."
 
After a few seconds, they had ported away without any hassle. Yoona was still on guard, most likely looking around for any Assassin classes that might've had an ambush or cloaking skill, but after waiting for a minute, she finally started to lower her guard. 
 
"That was a close one." She said, "Fighting this early on would've been detrimental for us, as well."
 
Aaron nodded since he knew that she was right. Since the game is comprised of a permanent death mechanic, all levels and items currently equipped would be lost forever. Since Avalon guild did not have any territory yet, that meant there was no guild storage or personal storage that people could use to store items, much less their respawn point. Backtracking towards a nearby town to store your gold and items was inefficient, plus you needed all the gold on you to buy land and trade with roaming merchants.
 
"Did you know who he was?" Aaron asked Yoona.
 
"Yes, I distinctly remember seeing him in other games," She replied, "He's an old soul. Been playing since Last Artifact Online, before we were even born. I heard those games were using the first-ever implementation of VR."
 
"We'll be seeing him again in the future." Aaron nodded.
 
"We'll cross that bridge when we get there."
 
"What's the current situation on our land acquisition?" Aaron spoke up, "We've already found the dungeon."
 
"We're working on it." Yoona replied, "Ace and Kuro have already hit level ten, so they're converting our USD into gold as we speak. Grind Company is already introducing circulation into the market, but they have competition in farming zones that we have to work out."
 
"What's the conversion rate?"
 
"Right now, it's pretty abysmal." She shook her head, "Twenty three USD per one thousand gold."
 
"How much should it be on a normal basis?" Aaron asked.
 
"Well, one USD per thousand gold, according to our statistics." She shrugged.
 
"Why is it so high?" Aaron frowned, "Is it because of high demand?"
 
"Yes," She nodded, "Gold right now is being bought faster than it can be farmed."
 
"Shouldn't the developers do something about this?" He tilted his head.
 
"No," She shook her head, "The developers have their own in-game store, which you can convert gold to their in-store currency, but those are only good for buying cosmetics, materials, and upgrading chance items. Right now, we just need pure gold, since land acquisition is only through gold, and we might have to burn a lot of money to do it."
 
"How much gold to buy land?" 
 
"It depends on the land you need to buy, but for this one, it's about one hundred thousand gold." She spoke plainly, "Which means at the current conversion rate, we would need to transfer at least..."
 
"Just about two million dollars," Aaron gulped.
 
"Yes." She chuckled, "Although, we can reduce it to about 1.7 million dollars working with Grind Company."
 
"That's still quite a lot," Aaron replied, "Is the Guild willing to put this much, this early?"
 
"Yes." She nodded, "I've already talked to the founders and investors. They're willing to allocate twenty million on any land acquisition on the first floor. So we have a couple more land plots we can look at."
 
"Shouldn't we start land acquisition immediately, then?" Aaron asked.
 
"We can't," Yoona stated, "We have to defend Fort Kover. Most Nexus Crystals for land acquisition are around key spots of land, such as dungeons or important landmarks. This one acts as both. There isn't enough gold in circulation to buy out this land yet."
 
"How long do we have to wait?" 
 
"A couple of hours, perhaps," Yoona replied, "Grind Company is currently farming as much gold as possible in the nearby areas. Even with their hundreds of employees working on the clock, however, it will still take a bit of time. I also need to allocate some of our guild members to defend their farming spots, since other guilds will be looking to do the same."
 
"How much are they making an hour?" Aaron asked, "The gold farmers."
 
"About seventy dollars," Yoona replied, "Which is pretty good, considering the minimum wage is like thirty dollars, although inflation has reduced that buying power recently. A decent meal costs about twenty-five dollars nowadays."
 
"I meant, how much gold," Aaron reiterated. He knew that gold farming had become a common job, much like working in retail or restaurants, but since gold had so much buying power right now, it made sense their starting salary would be relatively high but then trickle down as the economy started to mellow.
 
"They make a couple of thousand gold per hour." Yoona replied, "I don't know the exact rates."
 
"Good to know," Aaron spoke, "Also, I have to ask an important question. Won't our level progression speed tank drastically then since we'll be defending in this zone until we can buy it out?"
 
"Yes, and no," Yoona explained to him, "We can still farm the mobs near the zone up until level twenty. Anything after that gets pretty bad, but we should only be partially behind our other guild members. Plus, we can always farm using better experience potions later on. Money is not a problem to us."
 
"Speaking of them," Aaron replied, "Shouldn't they be level ten, soon?"
 
"Yeah, they will probably hit the required levels within the next half hour or so." Yoona nodded, "We're gonna rotate the people defending with the people clearing the dungeon. About one-fourth of Guild Avalon will clear the dungeon, while two-fourths defend them. The last will be helping other zones. Since all items are tradable, we won't be selling the drops we get but giving them to our guildmates."
 
Aaron knew that land acquisition would be fierce, but he didn't realize how much farming they were going to need. Aaron decided to play it on the safe side and stick close to Yoona. Their strategy for killing mobs was simple. Yoona would gather up the wild beasts that ranged from wolves to weird slime monsters, and then Aaron would strike them down in an area of effect attack.
 
He found out any type of attack in the game was possible to perform, which mimicked real-life combat. The Guiding Skill Tree only provided you with special conditions to follow to suit your class or playstyle. Aaron's skill was quite effective in battle, but for farming mobs, it wasn't worth using on cannon fodder.
 
After several minutes, guildmates started warping to them and Yoona. It seemed whilst she was gathering the mobs up for him to kill, she was speaking with several players simultaneously. The game was quite effective at communication since you can use your mind to just think about what you want to type and send it to players' chatboxes. No keyboard is required. Voice calls over long distances were implemented as well, but only when you were in a party.
 
"We're here," Woo-jin answered, followed by Seungwoo as they warped close to them. The warp function startled him a little bit, but he knew he would grow accustomed to it. 
 
"Perfect," Yoona exclaimed, "Just in time. Where are Zhang and Si Long?"
 
"They're almost at level ten. A field boss spawned near the southern town, so they're clearing it with some other people."
 
"Nice, that's good." She nodded. Field bosses were few and far between, but clearing one was good for gaining tremendous amounts of experience points along with decent loot. The experience gained from a field boss is evenly split across the people clearing it, and Field boss Zones were often PvE only, so no player conflict would happen inside.
 
"Do you guys want to farm with us while you wait for them?" Yoona asked, "We could use the extra party experience boost."
 
"Sure." Woo-jin nodded.
 
After partying with them, farming was much quicker than before. They adopted a two, two formation. Aaron and Zhang would stand back to back, while Yoona and Seungwoo pulled mobs towards their location. They tagged the mobs correctly, aggroed them at the correct range, and positioned them correctly so Aaron could maximize his damage. Woo-jin was also micro-adjusting to everyone's position, using his extended spear's range to counteract any weak spots they had. The pull was perfect.
 
After several rotations, their productivity increased by a ton. Over the next few minutes, they had gotten efficient enough to pull the entire area, killing the enemies before their respective respawn timer could even bring in new ones. During that downtime, Yoona spent that opportunity to talk to other groups in the Guild, probably forming a plan to allocate our numbers.
 
Notification! Party Member Seungwoo has levelled up! 
Player Seungwoo is now Level Eleven(11).
Notification! Party Member Woo-jin has levelled up! 
Player Woo-jin is now Level Twelve(12).
 
"Congrats." Yoona high-fived them. Aaron also gave a thumbs-up.
 
As they continued to farm, several Guild members started popping around several minutes later. They had warped towards their location, with their levels being a minimum of level ten(10). Eventually, there were at least twenty people, including Si Long and Zhang, which were each wearing a unique cape situated behind their backs. Aaron presumed it was farmed obtained after killing the Field Boss.
 
"What's up everyone," Zhang waved his hand with a smile, "Sorry for the wait, players kept resetting the aggro range of the Field Boss, so it gained some extra health, unfortunately. We managed to get some good loot, though."
 
Si Long nodded, "We can do the static dungeon if you want."
 
"We'll stand guard and wait for your return," Yoona affirmed, disbanding the party and reforming a new one with just Aaron, "You can tell us what the dungeon mechanics are once you finish. Save extra drops you get for us."
 
"Will do," Woo-jin nodded, "Ready, everyone?"
 
"Yes sir," Seungwoo smiled, "Always."
 
"Then we go right now."
 
Aaron watched as the four formed a party and moved out of view. They were stationed close to the fortress, on the outer rim, but the fortress itself was in the distance. They had a short walk to perform, but Aaron was excited to see how fast they were going to clear. That would've given him a good gauge on the difficulty of the dungeon.
 
Rechecking his profile, he noticed that he had levelled up two times. He turned off the level-up notification, as he was prepared to get spammed with requests and other notifications in the future, so checking manually was much often better. Today was going to be a fun day.

Spoiler

div>

God King's Champion - Aaron | Level 13
<Avalon>
God King's Champion
Winner of the Season 20 PvP World Championship (1v1, 3v3, 5v5) in Primal Online | Complete Season Dominance
Winner of the PvE Event | Speedclear: Dragon God Lia, Light of Creation Hell Mode in Conviction Online 
Winner of the PvE Event | Race to World First: Complete Leaderboard Dominance of (Expansion: Shadow's End) in Conviction Online
PvP - Unranked
Class: Warrior, Brawler Specialization: Divine Swordsman
Basic Stats Combat Stats
Health: 2100 Crit Rate: 30
Mana: 1002 Swiftness: 23
Attack (Power): 174 Domination: 72
Defence: 112 Endurance: 50
Specialization: 10 Expertise: 0
Equipment
Headwear Shoulder Chestpiece Pants Gloves
Knight Helmet Knight Shoulder Chestpiece of Dawn Dawn Leggings Impact Gloves
Ring Ring Necklace Pendant Cape
None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped
Shoes Belt Insignia Sigil  Misc.
Common Shoes None Equipped None Equipped None Equipped  None Equipped
Primary Weapon: 【UT】Excalibur - Dawnbringer Secondary Weapon: None Equipped
Guiding Skill Tree | Max ♢ - 10
Main Secondary
【EX】God King's Essence
♢♢♢♢♢ 【EX】Giant's Growth ♢♢♢♢♢

Identity Skill (Active): Upon activation, while the primary weapon Excalibur - Dawnbringer is equipped, all attacks are classified as Holy Damage. Increase outgoing damage by 250% whilst reducing incoming damage by 40%. All attacks will now apply a stack of Light's Dawn.

Light's Dawn: Restore 2% health any time an enemy is hit whilst under the effects of Light's Dawn.

If an enemy, boss, or special entity is killed while under the effects of Light's Dawn, increase the duration of God King's Essence by 60s. Can stack infinitely. 

If a player is killed while under the effects of Light's Dawn, decrease the cooldown of God King's Essence by one hour.

Identity Skill (Passive): When health (HP) is reduced below 30%, immediately gain 40% health (HP) and 200% move speed for ten (10) seconds. Become invulnerable for three (3) seconds, where you cannot take any damage, however, reduce attack damage by 95% during the duration. 

Once Giant's Growth's unique ability has been activated, the passive skill goes on cooldown for 180s. Giant's Growth cannot be used with other health increase skills. While the skill Giant's Growth is on cooldown, reduce all incoming healing effects by 50% (includes potions and party member effects).

Duration: 300 seconds Duration: Forever
Cooldown:  1 day (24 hours) Cooldown: 180s
★✩✩✩✩ ✩✩✩✩✩ ✩✩✩✩✩
【UT】Excalibur - Dawnbringer +1 | Unique Item, (Untradable)
✧✧✧✧✧

Excalibur - Dawnbringer

Author's Note: I don't have money so no picture icons. 

Untradable, Soulbound Attack Power Increase
Crafted by: Unknown + 112
Required Level: Five (5) Item Level: 100
Quality: 72 Durability: 98/100
 
Class Requirements: Warrior
Category: Greatsword Description:
Crit Rate: +22 The essence leftover of the greatsword Excalibur, The Promised Victory. This unique weapon holds the future hopes and dreams of Camelot. Although King Arthur has returned it to the Lake, this weapon will rise to its full potential once again.
Physical Defense: +212
Magic Defense: +110
STR: +412 Primary Enchantment Effects: The weapon does true damage, ignoring defensive abilities and skills. Cannot be blocked.
Vitality: +312
  Secondary Enchantment Effects:  Returns to the owner periodically.
 
Number of Upgrades Available: Seven (7) Upgrades are currently available. It can be enhanced up to Fifteen stars.
Bonus Potential: None equipped. It can be applied up to Two Bonus Potentials.
Socket Attributes:  None. Socket attributed can be applied with Hammer of Light.
[collapse]
 
 
Please rate five stars and follow me for updates! It takes a lot of time to create these tables since I feel like putting parenthesis on combat text is often boring, but it takes several hours to do. I would appreciate any feedback or comments, so go wild.

4