5-27
1k 3 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
No title for this chapter. I can figure one out for the life of me and I'm sleep-deprived.

It took Siv quite a few attempts to bring Riki back to reality. This was just how dazzling Erin’s beauty was to the boy who probably had yet to have his cherry popped. But after recovering his composure, he gathered his bearings and gave his greeting and introduction.

“Good afternoon, my lady. I am Riki, son of—”

“Pleasure to meet you, Riki.” Erin cut him off before the boy could finish his poor attempt at a regal introduction. “I am Erynthea and I would like to employ your service.”

“My service? By all means, of course. Please, come inside. We can discuss the details.”

The boy forced a smile, against his anxiety, and gestured for the group to head into his small hut, which was only capable of accommodating four individuals at best before it became cramped. Therefore, only Erin and Siv went into the hut while the rest would wait outside.

Much like what the outer appearance suggested, there was not much of anything within the hut. There was barely anything inside the hut beyond the basic necessities. Riki guided the two girls to the round table at the centre of the hut.

He was about to pull out a chair for the two but Erin gently waved him away with a grateful smile and pulled out the chair herself and so did Siv. Riki awkwardly sat across from them and tried his best to keep his smile from falling apart.

This was not his first time dealing with a real customer. It was not even his first time dealing with a Fae. However, this was the first time he had seen a Fox-kin with more than three tails. He didn’t know much about Fox-kin but he did know the number of their tails signified the height of their status, be it in social or battle prowess.

Moreover, Erin was an absolute beauty of the highest degree. It was tremendously difficult for Riki to keep his composure in front of such an individual, to the point that he had been staring directly at Erin, blankly, for the past few minutes after they had all taken their seats.

Erin realised this, of course, and she decided to do away with some of her charms by disguising her current appearance. Immediately after she put on her disguise, Riki snapped back to reality. When he realised what he had done, the embarrassment turned his face as red as a tomato.

Erin cleared her throat. “So, about my request.”

“Yes!” Riki shouted, inadvertently. “I-I’m listening…”

“I would like for you to ferry my companions and I upstream.”

Upon hearing her request, Riki’s expression changed, as if all of his anxiety had dissipated. “Upstream, you say?”

“Yes, upstream.”

“How far will that be?”

“Until the next major port.”

“Ah… I see…”

“Would that be a problem?”

Riki was about to answer but hesitated. Then, he looked towards Siv with a gaze pleading for aid.

“You can be honest with her, Riki. She won’t be mad,” Siv said.

Riki heaved a small sigh of relief.

“Is my request perhaps too absurd?”

“No, it’s not that,” Riki denied. “Well… maybe it is a tad absurd. But! But… the fault lies not with you, milady. It lies with me. I’m afraid my boat would not be able to survive the journey should the waters become rough or if any monster attacks. Ah, please don’t be mistaken! I’m not saying my boat is inadequate but the waters here are infamous for being graves to many vessels. And my boat is just… just… not quite… adequate…”

Riki’s voice got smaller and smaller until it was barely audible.

Erin crossed her arms and fell into deep thought. While the issue with monster attacks was easy to resolve, the weather was not. No one in her party could control the weather, though she suspected Aedan could do so if he was in his prime.

“Are you saying that we would need a better boat in order to sail upstream?” Siv asked.

“...Yes,” Riki admitted reluctantly.

Siv frowned. “Was your boat always inadequate to sail upstream? Last I heard, your boat could even sail the seas.”

“That’s a long time ago, Siv.” Riki smiled wryly. “That was a different boat. I made do with a smaller one now.”

“What happened?”

“Nothing… it’s just how it is. People who are better than you appear and naturally, everyone will just flock to them. With fewer and fewer customers, I can’t possibly pay for the maintenance of such a fine boat.”

“You sold your old boat for a smaller one.”

“It works well for me so far. Nowadays, I simply ferry people across the river. Even if it’s upstream, it will only be for less than a mile. If the next major port is your destination, I’m afraid you have to look for another boat. Actually, I am surprised that you would seek me out even if I am not your first choice.”

“Lord Hegan trusts you and I do too. Granted, your skills may not be the best but skills are not all that we are looking for. You are sincere and honest. Above all, your lips are always sealed. We are looking for discretion and you have it.”

“I’m grateful and honoured that you think so highly of me, Siv, but I have to disappoint you. There’s nothing I can do to help you. My boat just isn’t… well-suited for that kind of journey.”

“Allow me to be the judge of that,” Erin said. “May I see your boat?”

Riki was taken aback by the sudden request. “Huh, my boat? Why?”

****

Erin didn’t provide any further details and merely insisted Riki on showing them his boat. Seeing no harm in doing so, he guided the group to his boat which was just docked on the docking area just outside his hut.

The boat was slightly larger than what Erin had in mind but it was truly inadequate to sail upstream. It wasn’t a shabby boat by any means but it didn’t look sturdy enough to brave a storm either. Erin felt that she could easily sink the boat with just a punch, let alone endure the assault of a storm or a monster attack.

Naturally, the rest of Erin’s companions also followed after them. All of them gave their honest reactions upon seeing the boat they might be sailing in.

“This boat won’t last a single ram from a Lindwurm or a Wyrm,” Amyra remarked with brutal honesty.

Hearing the Augur’s unbridled comment, Riki’s shoulders drooped despondently.

Nivia sighed. “She’s being rude but her words are not factually wrong. I reckon a moderate tide would be enough to capsize this boat with all nine of us inside.”

“Can this boat even accommodate all nine of us?” Lilian questioned.

“It can,” Riki answered resolutely but his next words weren’t so resolute. “Should be…”

Aera had also something to say but seeing the already deflated boy, she decided to keep her remarks to herself.

“Siv, is this what you had in mind?” Lyra asked.

“It is not,” Siv said. “I didn’t think it would be….” Siv caught herself before her lips could let loose those words.

“It’s alright, Siv.” Riki smiled wryly. “You can just say it. I know how pathetic I am and how stupid I was to sell my pride and joy for something lesser.”

“It is not stupid. You did what you had to at that time. Things could have been worse if you had not let go of your pride.”

“It’s alright now, Siv. Truly. I’m just sorry that I couldn’t give you the aid you require in your time of need.”

“You can still do so,” Aedan said after some deep pondering.

Riki reacted to Aedan’s words. “Huh? I can?” he asked as if to ascertain he did not hear wrong.

Aedan nodded.

“B-but how?”

“This is just all wood, isn’t it?”

“The boat? Um… I suppose? But not entirely. There’s some metal…”

“That’s good enough.” Aedan then turned to Erin. “Sweetheart, would you mind?”

Erin was quick to catch on to Aedan’s plan. So, she nodded and unleashed her affinity light which was only perceptible to those with Spirit Magic. While doing so, she also inadvertently undid her disguise and her true form was laid bare. Her seven tails flourished with all of their grace and the Spirits came flocking over to her like moths to light.

After enough Spirits had gathered, Erin turned to Lilian and smiled. The Dryad nodded and returned a smile of her own, understanding Erin’s silent request. Facing the boat, Lilian splayed open her hands and began casting a spell under Nature Magic, Rampant Growth.

Normally, Lilian would require a Mana Cell to compensate for the conjuration of this spell but with the amount of Spirits present currently, she could easily cast this spell without a cell. The wood on the boat began to undergo a change and growth.

The size of the boat grew larger. The frame became thicker, though leaves and small barks also sprouted as a result. Overall, the boat became bigger and better. Though the aesthetic left much to be desired, the increase in performance could not be denied.

After finishing the spell, Lilian fell backwards but Erin was there to prevent her fall.

“Well done, Lilian,” Erin said and gave her a small peck on the forehead.

Lilian tittered. “I prefer my lips.”

Erin smiled and gave another peck on her lips.

Riki was too engrossed in the sudden magnification of his boat’s calibre and standard to notice the flirting beside him. His mouth and eyes were agape with astonishment and amazement.

It wasn’t just the boy who was astonished and amazed. Aera, Lyra, and even Nivia had their mouths and eyes agape. Nivia was the first to snap out of her stupor. She snapped her gaze at Lilian.

“You can do something like this?” Nivia asked in a tone that wouldn’t be wrong to call it yelling.

“I just did, didn’t I?” Lilian replied coyly.

“Since when?”

“Since a long time ago.”

“If that’s the case, then what about all those times when the problems could have been solved if you had just—”

“Make no mistake, Nivia.” Lilian cut her off. “I’m only able to do this because of Erin here. If not, I would have to expend a Mana Cell. As you already know, Mana Cells are precious to me and I can’t just expend one without good reason or cause.”

“I am aware but still… how much easier would it have been if you had just— Ah, whatever. It’s all in the past.”

The two’s exchange was heard by everyone but no one was boorish to interrogate the two for further details. Amyra was the only exception but she was stopped by a glare from Erin.

Riki was the only one who didn’t hear the two’s bickering as he was still too entranced by the current state of his boat which was now apt to be called a ship. He only came out of his daze after Siv nudged him by the shoulder.

“How about now? Do you think you can ferry us upstream?” Siv asked with a knowing smile.

“Of course, I can.” Riki cheered but his joy faded immediately afterwards. “But… a ship of this scale… I don’t believe I have the funds to maintain it… Ah, I mean no disrespect by the way! I don’t mean to sound ungrateful! It’s just—”

“It’s alright, boy,” Lilian said giggling. “You won’t need to worry about the maintenance. The ship has everything it needs, water.”

“W-water?”

Lilian nodded. “This ship is now essentially a plant of sorts. As long as it has water and sunlight, it will never… degrade or decay. So, you need not worry too much about the upkeep.”

Riki couldn’t believe what he just heard. “T-truly?”

“Truly.”

“Oh my… This is…” Riki was still in disbelief, utterly awe by the miracle he had just witnessed and was bestowed with. He had always regretted the day he sold his ship that was his pride and joy. He thought he would forever be held down by his great blunder.

Today, he was given a second chance and he vowed to make the most out of it.

But before he could fully make that resolve a crude and boorish voice interrupted his thoughts.

“Well well well. Now, this is a surprise.”

It was the voice of a woman and Riki instantly knew who it was.

24