3-22 Hiding
5.9k 8 145
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The rope will hold?” Nivia asked, throwing a worrisome glance at the unconscious and bound Aera. After subduing her, the trio had her bound and brought her to a cave a mile away from where they fought. The cave was home to a bear-like monster known as Serrator but Aedan’s presence scared it off the moment he came into the monster’s sight. The cave was well hidden. It was perfect for the purpose of a temporary hideout.

Aedan glimpsed briefly at the Elf over his shoulder. “I sure hope so,” he answered as dryly as ever before turning his attention back onto the fire he was stoking. The Serrator was a monster that had its fur to keep itself warm. As such, its habitat was a damp and draughty place. It was difficult to start a fire, let alone stoking it. But Aedan managed.

Lilian was throwing the same manner of a glance as Nivia at Aera. “The rope isn’t magical or any sort?” she asked.

“Nope. Just a very ordinary rope but I made it myself. So I can guarantee its quality at least.”

“Don’t you have any ropes with the appropriate spells in your repertoire?”

“As a matter of fact, I don’t,” Aedan admitted. “I do have some chains but it would be too big for someone of her stature.”

“What sort of chains would that be?”

“The ones used to restrain gigantic monsters.”

“Oh, I see,” Lilian muttered. “How did you come by such an item, if I may ask?”

“I saved a ship from a fleet of pirates. The captain gave me the chains as gratitude.”

“Sounds like you have a lot of stories to tell.”

“Not that I’ll be telling any of them soon.”

“What about spells?” Nivia asked. “Don’t you know any useful spells that would help restrain the crazy lady over there?”

“I can’t use any spells at the moment.”

“You don’t know how?”

“I said I can’t, not that I don’t know how. There’s a difference.”

“Yeah yeah yeah,” Nivia brushed his excuse off.

“Nivia, you’re being rude here,” Lilian reprimanded.

“And he’s not?”

Lilian sighed at Nivia’s behaviour before turning back to Aedan with a warm smile. “This cave reeks. Do you think it will be enough to hide our scent?”

“From what? Monsters?”

“Vampires. There’s no telling if there’s only one vampire out there looking for the girl.”

“There’s also no telling if there’s truly more than one vampire out there.”

“Aedan, please. I fear for our safety. If a vampire attacks and the girl goes into a maniacal rage again, I doubt our chances at coming out intact.”

“If there’s more than one vampire out there, I would know. Their scent isn't exactly subtle amidst the wilderness. Now, please be quiet and let me stoke this goddamned fire in peace. It’s been quite a while since I made a fire.”

“V-very well. I’ll let you be,” Lilian said and retreated a few steps away from Aedan and took a seat on a boulder that could be said to be the least tainted place in the cave.

“Are you sure we’re safe?” Nivia questioned. “I’m hearing a lot of noises outside.”

“Those noises won’t trouble us,” Aedan muttered back in a tone that only those with sharp ears could hear.

“How can you be sure?”

“You don’t have to believe me. You’re welcome to scout the area yourself if you’re that worried.”

“Maybe I will,” Nivia huffed and strode out of the cave with her weapons in tow.

Aedan sighed. “Finally, quiet again,” he remarked and resumed mending the flames. The dampness of the cave was making the flames’ growth difficult. Even the slightest negligence from Aedan would put the flames out.

“I thought Dragons can keep themselves warm without any fire,” Lilian mused.

“It’s not for me,” Aedan responded, cursing once in a while when the fire dimmed again and again.

Lilian giggled. “Oh my. This is very considerate of you, Aedan. But it’s alright. We have spells to keep ourselves warm when night comes.”

“No, save your Mana. We might have some brutish visitors when night comes. And just in case if Aera wakes up and goes feral again.”

“Aera?”

Aedan pointed at their bound prisoner. “The girl,” he said.

“Ah,” Lilian uttered in realization. “So you have Appraisal. Now that’s not very nice, Aedan. You must know so much about us now. All of our secrets are exposed. And we know nothing about you. Dear me, truly.”

“Nivia is still green but you’re not. I don’t believe you don’t have any means to repel Appraisal but you aren't using it for some reasons.”

For a brief moment, Lilian’s expression froze but it returned to her gentle smile. “You are correct, Aedan,” she admitted, giggling behind her hand. “You’re very smart, aren’t you?”

“I am more or less as smart as the average person,” Aedan retorted. “The only difference being I have experience. I have seen enough to know what to expect.”

“I believe you. You sure sound a lot like the elders back home,” she said, slowly nudging her way closer to the Dragon-kin.

“Why are you coming closer?” Aedan asked.

“Let me,” Lilian said, extending her open palm, gesturing for the stick Aedan was using to stoke the fire.

Aedan handed her the stick without hesitation.

Lilian’s hand moved and twirled like a master painter around the flames. She added a few dry leaves and sticks in between her strokes. Eventually, the flames began to burn bright and never shrink as they grew. “This is how you do it,” she said proudly as she handed Aedan back the stick.

“Was it fun watching me fumbling around like an idiot?” Aedan asked with a narrow gaze.

“Very much,” Lilian answered. “Seems like you can’t see through everything, after all.”

“Never said I can. Those were words being put into my mouth,” he retorted and slumped back on the wall, letting a gasp of relief. “What a day… so much for peace...”

Lilian snuggled her way beside him, their shoulders separated only by their thin piece of clothing.

“If you’re cold, the fire is over there.” Aedan pointed. “And it ain’t even dusk yet.”

“I’m not cold, just lonely.”

“Nivia is just outside. A few yards away from the entrance, by an old stump.”

“You can tell all that, I’m amazed.”

“I could be just fibbing.”

Lilian chuckled. “You don’t look like you’re fibbing.”

“I’m curious. At this point, people normally have gotten sick of me but you seem to be all the more interested. Do you perhaps have that kind of orientation?”

“Maybe I do,” Lilian retorted with a grin and rested her head on his shoulder. “Or maybe I just miss the warmth of a man.” Her fingers traced from his navel to his chest.

“What about your husband?”

“Oh my.” There was a look of genuine surprise as she gasped but amusement took over. “How much more will you expose of me?”

“You fell out of love with your human husband, I reckon.”

Lilian guffawed. “Oh my, oh my. Just how do you see these things?”

“Your lack of condescending attitude when talking to other races. It’s often a result of having a relationship with a different race your kind normally deem inferior. Your flirtatious attitude says you miss the action or you're just curious. Considering your age, I'm leaning on the latter. And you’ll only miss the action if you have a taste of it before. There’s also the way you keep fiddling your left ring finger with your thumb despite not having a ring on it. That says plenty about your marital status.”

“But how do you know he’s a human?”

“A ring on the fourth finger of the left hand is a human tradition. No other races use rings except the Augurs. However, Augurs put the ring on the fifth finger of their right hand.”

“Dear me, you are going to make me forget about my husband with that silver tongue of yours.” She giggled. “You are correct about me falling out of love with my husband. Don’t feel bad for him. He isn’t exactly faithful either.”

“Infidelity?”

“He was tempted. He was sweet on a barmaid from a tavern he frequents. If he did not fear my tribe’s retribution should he have an affair, he would have left me a long time ago. Now, he’s just waiting for me to break the vow first. I’m tired of this. I just want to be free. Aedan, can you grant me that freedom?”

“If you broke the vow first, what would be the repercussions?”

“The scorn of my people but I already had that when I lost my virtue to an Augur in my younger days. So, no repercussions that I’m not accustomed to.”

“Then any man would have been fine, no?”

Lilian snorted with a deep scowl. “I’m offended, Aedan.” With both of her hands clapped on Aedan’s cheeks, she turned his head to face her. “What kind of woman do you take me for?”

“Is that a trick question?”

“Answer me,” she demanded.

“A pariah who’s in heat.”

“Even if I am—” she squeezed his face. “what makes you think I would just pounce on any man?”

“I spoke too much. Forgive me.”

“No,” she said, smirking and bringing her lips closer to his. “You will not be forgiven this easily.”

Aedan reeled back. “Please don’t. I do not wish for burdens.”

“So you see love as a burden.” She chuckled. “You know, I have seen a lot too. And I know you’re a lustful man who has a string of women at your beck and call. So, what’s one more among the lot?”

“That’s who I was, not who I am. And I don’t want to knowingly invite conflict if I can help it.”

“But my husband no longer has me in his heart. He won’t be troubling you.”

“He will. He’s a man. You are still his wife, regardless if he still has you in his heart. His pride as a man would be hurt if his wife is stolen from him.”

Lilian chuckled. “That is very tempting to see it happen. Shall we try it just for the sake of spiting my husband?”

“You’re enjoying this.”

“He lied to me about being his only love. This is something I can never understand about humans. As Fae, we lived for centuries and we will only have one to three partners for our lifetime. But humans—they lived considerably less than a fraction of our lifespan and yet, their partners could even go more than a dozen. Do you know the feeling of knowing someone has lied to you for as long as you know them?”

“All too well,” Aedan answered.

“Then you should understand my feelings. He’s a petty man.”

“Offering your body to someone else just to spite your husband, doesn’t that make you just as petty? And how many partners did you already have?”

Lilian sighed, dropping her smile. “I wish you would stop sparring with me and just grant my request.”

“And I wish you stop being so forward with your desires.”

Lilian gritted her teeth and seethed. “You just love to be vexing, don’t you?”

“As long as it keeps the flies away, yes.”

“Too bad. I find this side of you very—” She placed her lips beside his ear, just barely touching. “—piquant.”

Before a retort came from Aedan, the groan from Aera who was writhing around in her restraints caused the two to separate from their spar of words and emotions.

“Just when things are getting interesting,” Lilian grumbled but her grin spelt the contrary of her words.

Tossing in her sleep and letting out a few moans, Aera awoke to black patches everywhere her eyes went, safe for the one spot when the fire burned. She struggled but immediately gave up after only a few tries.

“See, the rope works,” Aedan said, merrily.

“Thank the Spirits, it did.”

“Evening,” Aedan greeted the groggy Aera who still had her eyes half-closed. “I trust that you have a good sleep.”

Aera’s eyes followed the voice and found two familiar faces. “It’s you two,” she said, in a calm and soothing voice, a complete opposite of her former demeanour. “Where am I?”

“In a cave. Do you remember anything?” Aedan asked.

“I remember everything,” she answered and then she groaned. “Maybe not everything. My head hurts.”

Lilian looked at Aedan as if pointing her finger at him.

“You were the reason I was unconscious,” Aera said.

“Yeah, I had to. Sorry about getting physical and the ropes. You were very difficult to deal with and we had to make sure.”

“I understand,” she replied. “I wasn’t being very… sensible and I would like to express my gratitude for restraining me and my apologies for the troubles that I have caused.”

“Oh?”

“I was so… angry. It was very unlike me. I couldn’t stop the wrath budding inside me until you… did something. And the Fae Lady, I would also like to apologize to you. I have given you much trouble despite you and your friend’s good intentions.”

“Oh my,” Lilian breathed. “She is certainly different than she was. Was she under some sort of spell then?”

“She is,” Aedan answered. “But the spell is only lifted temporarily.”

“You mean she might go into that… state again?”

“Very likely but...” Aedan held out the same syringe for Lilian to see. “I’m prepared if that happens again.”

Lilian breathed a sigh of relief and turned to Aera. “So, Aera, that’s your name, right?” Lilian asked.

Aera nodded. “It is the name my mother gave me.”

“It’s a beautiful name, befitting of a beauty like you. If you’re willing to share, would you care to tell us your story?”

“It would be very long. And it’s less of a story and more of a nightmare. A folly of youth.”

“I stand by what Aedan said, you’re among friends now. You can rest easy.”

“Aedan?”

“This person here. I am Lilian. If you do not know, I am a Dryad.”

“Where’s your Elven friend?” Aera looked around, as much as she could in her state. “I remember someone like her being with you.”

“That would be Nivia, she’s just outside.”

“Can she be here when I tell my story? I think you all deserve to know after I have put you all through. And I want to apologize to her too.”

Lilian gasped heartily with her hand to her chest. “You are such a good girl. Just what happened to you?”

“Everything,” Aera answered. “Ever since I was born. My life had all been a lie. It would be a long story.”

“We’ve got all night and we’re in no hurry,” Nivia said as she strode to the fire and took a seat by it. “The area’s safe, for now. So you better tell us everything we want to know.”

“Of course,” Aera said. “But before I tell you my story, you have to know about my father, Rayor, who is the cause of everything that’s wrong with my life.”

145