4-38 Tea Party II
2.9k 3 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Erin narrowed her gaze at Melissa’s strange question. “Is there a problem if I am one?” she asked, remaining vigilant of the knights surrounding the pavilion. She saw no sign of them drawing their swords but their heartbeats quickened when the magic veil came down.

“You are mistaken, Erin. I meant you no ill will with that question. It’s just… you were seen going in and out of the place where the Aeryeons presumably gathered.”

“And what of it?”

“It seems Lady Erin here is unaware of Aeryeon’s history in Sephrodia Valley,” Lady Jenna said.

“What history?”

“Allow me to explain, Erin,” Melissa said and poured her a cup of tea. “Before the death of the Dragon God, the Aeryeons kept the peace of this city, unofficially.”

“Unofficially?”

“The Aeryeons were righteous but they were not pretentious or arrogant. They were strong and powerful due to their Divine’s blessing. They didn’t go around instilling their beliefs or their justice but they rarely turned a blind eye to evildoers. Their presence alone strike fear unto those who wish to do harm. Many bandits and thugs were discouraged by the Aeryeons from continuing their unlawful activities. For a time, the streets became safe and parents would let their children wander around without fear.”

“I did not know that,” Erin muttered.

“So you’re not an Aeryeon?”

“I don’t follow the beliefs if that’s what you’re asking. I am merely closely acquainted with a few followers and they treated me and my companions as they would to their fellow faith siblings.” Erin gave an answer that wasn’t a lie but neither the whole truth.

“I see…” Melissa nodded with a mischievous grin. “Well, I won’t pry further about that.”

Erin cleared her throat to digress. “So, what happens after?”

“When the Dragon God died, the Aeryeons became weak and many left the faith. Chaos and disorder return to the streets. The remaining Aeryeons became recluses and the small folks prayed for the day when the next Dragon God would take the Divine throne and restore order and peace to the streets like before.”

“Are the city guards completely useless?” Erin scoffed.

“They are paid by the hour, not by their efforts,” Valerie said. “They deem it pointless to do so much but with little to no additional compensation. And it has only gotten worse recently. Our dear Viceroy is rumoured to be involved with some unsavoury organisations.”

“Demonic orders, some said,” Jenna added. “Nasty dealings. It is why the Ruvan Paladins are in the city. Because of these rumours. It’s terrible. Business has all been slowed due to the Paladins’ constant intervention. Venerers, I believe they were called. Have you heard of them, Lady Erin?”

“I have. I have even met one of them once before.”

“Oh, dear. I hope they didn’t harass you, Lady Erin.”

“They couldn’t if they wanted to.”

“How valiant of you, Lady Erin.”

Hearing praises from these seasoned ladies was awakening something within Erin but she calmed herself down before the feeling blossomed into something improper.

“There’s also the appearance of these… Demoids.”

“I heard of them too,” Melissa gasped. “Demons who act like humans, are they?”

“They are apparently humans, bandits and thugs, who are able to wield Demonic powers without losing their sanity. They are not as strong as normal Demons but still strong regardless.”

“I heard about that too,” Valerie chimed in. “They say due to them being half-breeds, Holy Magic isn’t as effective as it should be. These Demoids have sacked quite a few chapels around the city already. More chapels would have fallen if the Ruvan Paladins weren’t here. The Ruvans are now using this conundrum as an opportunity to oppress the nobles. How sly of them.”

“But at least the thugs’ activities have been quelled for the most part. The temple knights’ presence has their merits, at least.”

“Certainly but I believe the thugs’ recent indolence is mostly thanks to the work of Lady Erin here.”

“Me?” Erin pointed at herself.

Melissa chuckled. “It is the current rage around the city. Many believed it because it is the thugs themselves who started the rumour. They don’t usually start rumours that paint them black. Bad for their so-called business.”

“What kind of rumours exactly?”

“Don’t be coy now, Erin. Surely you have heard it too, no?”

“I haven’t.”

“A five-tailed Fox-kin took down Demoids all on her own. You have struck fear into those brutes’ hearts. Some say you might herald to return of the Aeryeon’s old glory.”

“I’m grateful for these nice rumours but to say I’m a herald of some great return is simply an exaggeration.”

“Taking on the Demoids amidst the dwelling of outlaws and emerging victorious, that’s a very exaggerating feat, Erin. Your ventures then made a great impact on this city.”

“It isn’t just my efforts. My companions were there too. They fought the Demoids too.”

“Wait… I heard a rumour about a group of adventurers fighting against a Venerer. Could they be—”

“Yes, those adventurers in question are my companions.”

The three women gasped.

“Goodness, why? I’m not doubting your companions but what led to the confrontation? I heard all sorts of speculation but none of them good.”

“What kind of speculation?”

“The most popular one is that these adventurers were in cahoots with the Demoids and they fought a Venerer because they were promised the power of the Demoids.”

Erin balled her hands into fists. Her blood boiled with rage. She was about to slam the table out of anger but after using Lust on herself, her wrath was placated enough for her to maintain her composure. “And who started this speculation? The Venerers?”

“Not the Venerers. They were actually being silent about this. The Venerer lost after all. They wouldn’t want it to be known. The speculation started from the thugs but I don’t which thug exactly.”

“Marduk…” Erin concluded in her heart. She surmised he must be spinning to story in hopes of turning the public opinion against her and her companions or pitting the other factions against her. Whichever it was, her blood only boiled when she thought about it.

“Are these brutes trying to paint Lady Erin as evil in the eyes of the faiths?” Valerie arrived at a similar conclusion.

“Despicable,” Jenna uttered.

Suddenly, one of the knights came into the pavilion.

“What’s wrong?” Melissa asked with a displeased face.

“Forgive me, Lady Melissa but Lord Rylan Grid is here and without.”

Erin raised her brows while the seasoned ladies exchanged looks of confusion and curiosity.

“Lord Vauben is also without.”

“He’s not here for your Lord Husband, milady. He had strongly requested an immediate private audience with you, milady.”

“Me?”

“What should I tell him?”

“What does he want, sir?”

“He won’t say, milady. Only that it’s urgent and meant for your ears only.”

Melissa sighed and rose from her seat. “My sincere apologies, ladies, but duty calls.”

“We understand, Melissa,” said Valerie. “It’s the Viceroy after all.”

“Thank you so much for your understanding.” She then clapped her hands, dispelling the magic veil, and turned to Erin. “Lady Erin, if it’s not a bother to you, may you accompany me?”

Erin blinked. “Didn’t he ask for a private audience with you?”

“He did and he shall get one but I’m sure it won’t be a problem if you simply escort me to the audience chamber.”

The knight stepped forward. “Milady, if it’s escort you need, I can—”

Melissa silenced the knight with a wave of her hand without looking away from Erin. “Sir, you will escort the Lord Viceroy to the audience chamber. Well, Lady Erin, will you give me the honour?” she asked and offered her hand.

The knight bowed after a brief hesitation and quickly scurried out of the garden.

Erin broke into a knowing smile. “Of course, milady. I’m your friend after all,” she said and took the delicate hand of House Valdrun’s High Lady.

Together, they left the garden at a leisure pace. They exchanged a few light words and laughed at each others’ quips. They made remarks about the pretty flowers they passed through. They talked about the history of some of the architecture in the estate. With such an ambience around them, they arrived before a small house annexed to the main manor with glass windows for doors. This was the guest parlour.

It was a foolish design at first glance but when Erin squinted her eyes, she could faintly make out the runes carved onto the glass panels. She could even feel a very faint trace of Mana from the glass. The guest parlour looked like a frail building but as she neared the parlour, she knew the frailty was just a farce. The whole parlour was well reinforced and protected by spells that were capable of preventing eavesdropping.

“I’m afraid this is where we’ll part, Lady Erin. But if you don’t mind, could you perhaps wait for me? I hope we can finish our tea together.”

“I don’t mind at all, Lady Melissa. I’ll be waiting here.”

“Thank you, Erin,” Melissa said and entered the parlour where the Viceroy was already waiting inside with a face that spelt impatience and restlessness.

“So that’s the viceroy,” Erin mused in her head as she glimpsed through the glass windows, shortly before the curtains were drawn, covering the parlour from within. The viceroy also seemed to have noticed Erin’s presence just before the blinds separated their sights from one another. Erin tried to listen in but she could hear nothing.

“How shrewd,” Erin muttered and activated Spatial Sense. Suddenly, her surroundings became clearer and everything turned apparent to her eyes and ears, including the voices from within the parlour. Although faint, she could hear the exchange between Melissa and the viceroy.

“She knows I can do this… But how?”

Erin decided to worry about later and focus on the conversation for now.

“Lord Rylan, I hope you can overlook the minimal gesture I’m offering.”

“I don’t mind, Lady Melissa. However, that Fox-kin outside… Is she—”

“Lord Rylan, she is my guest, no more no less. She’s not a factor of whatever you came here to discuss with me urgently, I hope.”

There was a brief moment of dead air in the room.

“...No, she’s not. Lady Melissa, I sincerely apologise for my presumptuousness and abruptness but please understand, I came bearing grave news.”

“Does it concern my Lord Husband?”

“Not just him, but all of us nobles.”

“So it’s just the usual drivel?” Melissa scoffed.

“Lady Melissa, this is serious.”

“If it was, you will be seeking my husband as he makes all the decisions for the house.”

“I already have but he was—”

“I see how it is now, Lord Rylan. You hope that I can change his mind. I can’t say I find your sudden visit pleasant now, Lord Rylan.”

“Pardon my rudeness, milady, but as I said, this is urgent.”

“Yet, you have not told me what the urgency is.”

“It concerns the Ruvans. More specifically, the exploits of the Venerers. Their continuous oppression of the nobles had started to show the dents and cracks of our dealings.”

“Lord Rylan, you know House Valdrun takes a neutral stance in these matters. It is a decision that my husband made along with my blessing. I would appreciate it if you don’t try to shake our stance any further.”

“But Lady Melissa, if we let these Venerers be, the nobles will lose their prestige and capital in this city. This may not be your city, milady, but I’m sure your house has some hefty investments here.”

“Indeed, we do. It will be a great loss but that’s just how businesses are, Lord Rylan. I’m not a stranger to failures. We’ll lose a lot, that’s a given, but my house will lose more if we break our neutral stance.”

“But I can guarantee that will not happen, Lady Melissa. Aid my efforts and you shall rise even higher should I succeed.”

“If you succeed, Lord Rylan, but if you don’t, my house and I will lose a lot. That’s a risk I’m not willing to take, Lord Rylan. We may not rise higher than we are now if we stay neutral but it ensures the continuation of House Valdrun.”

“Lady Melissa, please reconsider—”

“Lord Rylan, my answer is final,” Melissa uttered as she stood up.

“The Venerers will come for your house too, Lady Melissa.”

“Let them. I have nothing to hide, though the same can’t be said for you, Lord Rylan, I’m sure.”

“H-how dare you… Lady Melissa, I am the viceroy of Sephrodia Valley.”

“I’m well aware of that, Lord Rylan, which is why I’m giving you the choice to leave on your own accord instead of having my knights remove you.”

Rylan sprang from his seat and stormed out of the parlour furiously. Erin had already moved out of the way as she heard his heavy steps.

Their gazes met for a short second and Erin could see all of his anger with just a single glance. She also perceived the resentment he seemed to harbour towards her. For a viceroy of such a large city, he was probably one of the least intimidating people Erin had ever met and she couldn’t help but sneer at him once he was out of sight.

“So that’s Lord Rylan Grid…” Erin mused. “I was expecting someone older.”

“Word of advice, Lady Erin,” Melissa said as she stepped out of the parlour. “Don’t expect anything from our dear viceroy. He’s nothing more than a pawn of his own power. The true lord of Sephrodia Valley is someone else.”

“Who could that be, Lady Melissa?”

Melissa tittered. “What a redundant question, Lady Erin,” she responded with an astute grinning gaze.

73