4-70 Banal Bait
8.1k 11 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So we truly need to save the nobles Marduk’s aiming for?” Erin asked as she donned her new garments which were a set of robes made of Fae Silk and dipped in mithril.

“Yes, we truly need to,” Aedan answered with his back turned since Erin and Aera were changing their garments. Aera had not minded if Aedan was watching but Erin shot her down with the reason that Aedan would be tempted to have them right here and now. Little did Erin know, the sound of their clothes rustling alone was a great temptation.

“These nobles are in the same cohort as the Covenant, aren’t they? Why are we saving them?” Aera questioned as she finished putting on her new protective garments. It was also a set of robes much like the one Erin wore but of different embroideries and colours.

“These nobles know about the individuals outside of Sephrodia Valley collaborating with Marduk. No other reason Marduk would want them dead. If we can save these nobles and have them spill out those names, we will have smoother sailing in the future. Who knows, we might even inadvertently run into one of them in the future and we wouldn’t even know.”

“I understand but… they are allowed to live just because they have some useful information… This is unfair… What about all the lives they ruined?”

“You misunderstood me, Aera. We will save them from the clutches of Marduk’s thralls. But do you believe there would be no repercussions for them after they have exhausted their uses?”

“Ah…”

“Furthermore, we’re not saving every one of the nobles that are marked by Marduk. Just a few of them. Or just one of them would do.”

“The viceroy,” Erin said as she finished donning her new protective garments.

Aedan turned around then. “Both of you look gorgeous and ravishing.”

Aera’s cheeks turned cherry red. “T-thank you… Aedan…”

Erin narrowed her gaze. “We didn’t tell you we have finished dressing but you turned around regardless.”

“I can you two were finished by sound.”

“What if one or either of us was only half-dressed?”

Aedan shrugged. “Then it is what it is. You’re no maiden, Erin. I’m sure you’re not going to squeal out loud just because some man caught a glimpse of your bare body.”

Erin sighed and rolled her eyes. “Dealing with you is exhausting.”

“It’s quite charming…” Aera muttered under her breath.

Aedan chuckled. “In any case, we best be moving. Our enemies are already steps ahead of us.”

No sooner had the trio stepped out of the camp, chaos erupted all around them. Screams came from all directions as people ran frantically as if escaping from something dreadful.

“What the fuck happened? It was quiet just a second ago.”

“Your Grace!” Caelan exclaimed as he ran up to Aedan. “It’s terrible, Your Grace.”

“No shit, Caelan. Just tell me what happened?”

“It’s the two troublemakers from before, Ronan and Drisbol.”

“Drisbol?” Erin mused. “That’s the arbalist’s name, I reckon.”

“Y-yes, it’s the arbalist’s name. We escorted them out through the east side as you have ordered, Your Grace. But they came back and demanded to be let in. When we refused their entry, they drank some kind of potion and they transformed into—”

“Demoids,” Erin finished the boy’s sentences. She could already feel the Demonic presence wafting in the breeze.

“Yes, Demoids,” Caelan affirmed with a nod. “Some of the Aeryons and the adventurer are currently locked in battle with the two Demoids.”

“Oh, these fuckers… Should have just killed them but what’s done is done. Caelan, remember what we practised?”

“Yes, of course, Your Grace. I remember the protocol, Your Grace.”

“Good, then you know what to do. Follow it.”

“Right away, Your Grace.” As soon as he gave his salute, he disappeared into the chaotic crowd.

“Erin, may I entrust you to calm the crowd?”

Erin nodded and began casting a wide-range Lust on her surroundings. A faint pink mist oozed from her and it flowed throughout the area.

The panic came to a gradual stop. The people snapped out of their frenzy but their trepidation remained. Seeing the fear lingering in the people’s eyes, Erin increased the intensity of her skill. Spurred by their innate desires, nearly each and every person looked Erin’s way. Erin then flourished her tails and used Mesmerise. The gazes of the people turned feverish, men and women alike, entranced by Erin’s beauty.

“All of you, do not panic. The uninvited guest shall be dealt with swiftly. Calmly proceed to the other side of the camp where it is safe.”

No one argued with her and they did as she bade. Their rush turned into an orderly march. The ones among the crowd that weren’t affected as deeply did not question Erin’s command either. They complied with her obediently and followed the entranced crowd. The Aeryons were the only ones that were unfazed by her Lust skill as their faith had protected them for her influence, which worked in everyone’s favour as they helped in maintaining order.

“Now, to take care of the problem.”

Just as Aedan turned on his heels, a familiar maid came running over to Aedan. “Your Grace, the Demoids have run off when we didn’t even give them a scratch. They had the advantage in battle but they just ran off.”

“Run off? To where?”

“We don’t know, Your Grace. We don’t dare to give chase.”

“Good. They are most likely trying to get you to follow them. You and others did well.”

“And follow them, I shall,” Erin said.

“You’re going alone?” Aedan asked.

“Someone has to stay and take care of the aftermath here. I don’t fancy myself a leader, Aedan. That’s your role and most of the workers are your followers. So it will be more reasonable for you to be the one to remain while I go after those two.”

“Touche, but at least take Aera with you.”

Aera nodded. “I will be useful, Erin.” She brought her fists together, resulting in a small shockwave that rippled through the air.

“I have no doubts about that, Aera. Come on, let us be off.”

****

In a certain alley of the ruined merchant district, a man in full black armour stood menacingly in the shadows. Dusk had arrived and soon, it would be night's turn. The shadows grew larger as the hours went by.

“You’re back but I don’t see the Fox-kin with you two. Explain,” asked the man in black as Ronan and Drisbol scurried into the alley.

“Don’t worry, Cready. That bitch will be here without a doubt,” Ronan answered with utter confidence. “She has quite the paragon heart. She will come for us once she learns of our… transfiguration. Yes, she definitely will come…”

“...I don’t like this,” Drisbol said. “What if she came in a group along with the one they called ‘His Grace’? What will we do then?”

Ronan snorted. “Let them come then. What can they do against the three of us? We’re no longer mere mortals now, Dris. They’ll pay for what they've done… The humiliation… we’ll return it a hundredfold.”

“His Grace?” The one named Cready raised an eyebrow. “Who is this man you spoke so warily of?”

“The refugee camp was built by the Aeryons and the one leading them was someone they referred to as ‘His Grace’. I never saw his face myself but they Aeryons spoke highly of him.”

Ronan tutted. “He’s probably just one of those religious snobs they called a priest. He’s no concern of ours. It’s the vixen we have to be extremely wary of. She knew plenty of tricks. I fell for it once but I won’t fall for it again.”

“Too late, you poor sod,” said Erin who had somehow appeared between Ronan and Drisbol.

Before any of the three men could react to her presence. Erin brandished her violet-glowing sword in a full circle. When her slash came to an end, the heads of Ronan and Drisbol went rolling off their necks.

“Spatial Magic… Warp.” Cready gulped down a lump in his throat. “You used it from a distance outside the reach of my senses… You’re not to be underestimated.”

“Another goon of Marduk, I presume?” Erin inquired calmly with an air of indifference.

“I am indeed his goon, no shame in that. A man’s gotta eat and survive. He pays well and the benefits that come with this job… It's unmatched by any other sort of employment.”

“In exchange, you’re to lick his boots and arse if he tells you to, for eternity at that.”

“Nothing’s perfect.” Cready chuckled. “Just like. You have eluded the Covenant’s grasp for long enough. But not this time.”

Erin sighed. “And once again, the same old speech. Do you people have no originality?”

“Let us find out!” Cready cheered as his body began to shake. Tentacle-like tendrils were oozing out of the gaps between his armour pieces as if they were highly viscous fluids and they were very much alive with how much they floundered about. A great sword manifested into his hand, a sword forged of blackness.

Erin tossed a small ball of cyan flame at Cready and it disappeared into a puff of smoke upon hitting its mark, leaving no traces of burn. “Figures. You’re not like those feral Demoids.”

Cready laughed. “They’re no longer Demoids. They once were but no longer. They were all unworthy of Marduk’s discretion. Such a shame. They—” He cut his words off as Erin’s blade was coming for his neck. His response was swift. He raised his sword and deflected Erin’s blow.

“And I thought you would never stop talking,” Erin jibed and unleashed Lightning Barrage on Cready. Dozens of lightning bolts rain down on the armoured Demoid.

“Damn you!” Cready snarled and rammed his way through the barrage. At the end of the flurry, Erin’s strike awaited him. He veered his head to the side, narrowly avoiding the blade. He brought his sword around and his steel clashed against Erin’s own. Sparks flew and the air rippled. Their blades pushed them apart but they came again with another round of steel clashing.

The clash between blades did not last forever nor did it last long. In the fifth clash, Erin’s cyan blade cleaved right through Cready’s blade of blackness. He tutted and pulled himself away using the tendrils that had sprouted from his back to avoid getting bisected.

“You possess neither the specific skill nor the ability to negate mine like your peers. Perhaps you’re not as special as you like to believe.”

“Maybe it is as you say but the pouch I’m getting is still fat and full of nothing but gold. And—” Once again, Cready was forced to cut his words short. He dove to the side as something fell from above. Had he not moved, he would have turned into a bloody pulp.

“Covenant hounds…” Aera growled as she slowly rose to her feet. She had dropped straight from the sky after taking a huge leap from a third of a mile away. Violet glow was coursing through her veins and flames of the same hue were enveloping her whole body.

“Damn you…” Cready clicked his tongue. “You brought a friend.”

“Also your demise,” Aera roared and lunged at him with her fists bared.

Barbed tendrils sprouted from Cready’s back and darted towards Aera. However, the barbed tendrils were turned into ashes before they even touched her skin, burned away by the violet flames enveloping her.

“What in the Divine’s name are you?” Cready muttered in surprise and terror. The girl was still charging at him without being hindered by his tendrils. He thought about retreating but Erin was already on his flank, waiting for his guard to shift. “Damn these two bitches!”

Aera swung her fist once she was in range. Cready dodged low and countered with a slash but Erin swooped in and parried the blow.

“Foolish vixen! Now you’re prey for my—” His words were once again cut short but not of his own accord. His world began to falter and tilt all of a sudden. And before he knew it, he had somehow hit the ground but he saw his body, standing still. The last thing he saw before the darkness claimed his sight was the absence of a head on his neck.

“That was easy,” Erin breathed. “But then again, neither is getting this skill.”

In truth, Cready was not decapitated by her sword but by her skill. More specifically, Spatial Rend. As the name implied, the spell rends the space itself. It was a quick, silent, and deadly attack spell. The only drawbacks were the Mana consumption and the focus required to use it.

The notification of her experience increment confirmed the Demoid’s death but as soon as she turned her back to it, the tendrils from the Demoid’s corpse shot towards her.

“You have got to be joking!”

58