Chapter One Hundred and Eighty-Nine: Silthorn
642 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first of the girls to answer Serin was Liz. She had looked as if she had been thinking it over since I had first spoken.

She cleared her throat. “I think it would be a good idea. I still think it’s dangerous, but if they all agreed to stick to our rules, I think we could minimise the risk. There would be advantages for having them with us too. You never know, with the news we’re bringing back, people could start to change their opinions about the demon kind.”

Beth almost choked on her own breath as she scrambled to reply. “What? I know we’ve been getting along with them just fine, since Theo did his thing, but I can’t believe that!”

“Really?” Liz looked surprised.

“Of course, not.”

“Have you thought about it seriously though. There’s a pretty good precedent for it happening before.”

“I don’t have to think about it. We all know just how many people were killed in the war. No one is just going to let that go. People will hold grudges for generations.”

“Some people might, they did after the great war before the alliance was formed. The majority of people coexist peacefully, or they did until recently.”

“But that’s different!”

“Is it really that different?”

Serin coughed loudly to interrupt the pair. “Yes, well we’re going off topic a little here… I’d just like to know if anyone is going to object to Theo’s idea, with the rules we lay down of course.”

The girls all looked at each other, but none of them voiced any objection.

“I’ll take that as a yes then.” Serin then turned back to me. “Looks like we’ll go along with your idea for now…”

“Thanks…” I glanced between Serin and the Harpies, Celine and Aetherin. “But we might be getting ahead of ourselves. We should ask them first if they would want to come with me.”

Serin smiled. “Okay Theo, we’ll ask them first.” She got to her feet and walked the short distance to where the harpies were sat.

I got up and followed her.

Serin looked back to me. “Perhaps you should be the one to ask?”

I nodded, then stepped forward. “I’m not sure if you could all hear what we were talking about, but I’ve got something I’d like to ask you all…”

Enna got to her feet. “We could hear… I’m sure I’m speaking on behalf of the others when I say, we would all love the chance to be able to stay at your side.”

The rest of the harpy girls were all nodding and voicing their agreement behind her.

“Great…”

I was almost knocked off my feet from behind.

“I’m definitely coming with you master!” Celine said whilst throwing her arms around my waist.

“Thanks Celine.”

Aetherin calmly walked next to me. “I’d really like the opportunity to come with you too.”

“Thanks, Aetherin, I’m glad you feel that way.”

I never really had that much concern about brining those two with me. Aetherin looked for all intents and purposes, human. Perhaps someone could pick up on what she was, but with a little care she could live with us.

Celine could hide herself well enough and make herself look human when she needed to too. It was just the harpies I had concerns about brining with us, but I still appreciated their sentiment.

Serin clapped her hands. “Good, I’m glad that we’re all now agreed on how to move forward… Let’s have a quick stop and then we’ll head into town to check things out.”

It was only a short stop for us. It was time for lunch, but it was less than an hour’s walk from here to the town. We could easily find proper food there while we acquired transport. The girls we left behind would have plenty of time for a proper break.

Once we had finished, we said goodbye to the harpies for now and made our way into the town.

Celine and Aetherin were both accompanying us. Celine disappeared as soon as we left the cover of the small wood, but Aetherin kept by my side.

“Have you spent much time in human settlements?” I asked as we walked.

“A little… I can blend in easily enough, but I’m not sure if you would want to hear the details behind my visits.”

“Ah, yeah sorry, I suppose that’s a touchy subject.”

“Not really something we should be discussing as we walk into town.” She laughed.

I realised it wasn’t that often that I saw her do so.

We had only been walking for a few minutes and I could already make out the town in the distance. I could already tell from here it was much smaller than Dunshelm. This was the very edge of the frontier after all.

As we drew closer, I could make out the rudimentary fortifications around the place. Unlike other fortified towns we had visited, this place didn’t have stone wall. Instead, its fortifications were wooden palisades. I hated to think what would happen if they were attacked by something like the flame demon we had encountered.

I picked up the pace and walked alongside Serin. “What is a town this far out, doing with those sorts of fortifications?” I asked.

She shrugged. “Unfortunately, it comes down to money, rather than practicality. It’s not like they don’t realise that a thick stone wall would offer them better protection. This is all they could manage. There isn’t much trade to a place out here.”

“Why are people still living this far out?”

“Because it’s their home and they don’t want to leave, even if it’s dangerous.”

I could understand that.

There were guards posted at the main gate. They had spotted us from some way out and by the time we had made it to them, they were waiting to speak with us.

The one that looked to be in charge stepped forward. “Halt.”

We instinctively did as he asked and came to a stop a short way in front of the man.

He silently looked us over for a moment. “We don’t get many visitors out this way. State your purpose.”

I couldn’t quite make out if he was suspicious of us or just doing his job.

It was Serin that answered his question. “We’re from the guild, adventurers. We’ve been on a mission of great importance in the wilds. We need to find food and transport.”

He scratched his chin. “Adventurers, I could guess as much from the look of you…” His expression then changed as if a light had gone on somewhere in the back of his mind. “Would this be Serin’s party? Are you travelling with the hero Theo?”

A tingle went up my spine as he asked.

Serin had tensed up, her hand a slipped close to her swords hilt.

I glanced side to side, the other girls had tensed just like Serin. The entire party’s mood had changed.

Serin locked eyes with the man. “Why do you ask?” The tone of her voice was serious and hinted at danger.

The guard picked up on this. He took half a step back and held his hands up. “I meant nothing by it. We had word, a runner came this way. We were to keep a look out for the party, and if they were to pass through, offer them any help we could.”

Serin instantly relaxed, but didn’t drop her guard. “Who sent word, which guild?”

“The guild master from Dunshelm.”

She breathed a sigh of relief. “That would be us.”

The guard looked relieved. “I’m glad you all made it out okay. It’s been some days since we received the message.”

“It took us longer than we had hoped, but we’re okay.”

“Please come inside.” The guard turned back and nodded to his subordinates.

The begun to open the large wooden gate behind him.

He turned back to Serin. “Welcome to Silthorn. I’ll accompany you to the guild.”

“That won’t be necessary.”

“Please, I need to make sure you are given all the support you require and to confirm your return.”

Serin could see he wouldn’t take no for an answer. “Very well.” She turned back and waved to the rest of the group. “Come on, we’re heading inside.”

14