Chapter One Hundred and Ninety: Reporting In
567 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Serin and the guard led the way into town. I followed closely behind, with Beth and Aetherin either side of me. Liz and Altria took up the rear behind us.

“What else was in the message from Dunshelm?” Asked Serin.

“I wasn’t given the full picture. All I know is the task is of great importance and we’re to help in any way we can.”

“I see.”

“You would probably be able to tell me more than I know, I suspect.”

“I’m afraid we wouldn’t be able to tell you anything. We’re sworn to secrecy.”

He nodded. “I understand.”

The town was small, it was quiet. There were only a few people walking the streets as we made our way to the local guild.

It was only a few minutes walk, before we were making our way up the steps to the guild. Like most towns and cities, the guild was a well built and important looking building. Here it stood out even more, it had to be one of, if not the most well built buildings in the entire place.

The guard held open the door for us and we all stepped inside. After the last of the group was in, he hurried ahead and made his way to the guild desk.

The girl at the front desk seemed surprised to see the head of the guard walking in a group of adventurers. She smiled to meet him. “Captain, it’s unusual to see you here.”

“Important guests. Needed to see them here in person.”

“Oh.” She cast her eyes over our party as if trying to discern what about us looked so important.

“Please tell the master they’ve arrived. In the meantime, see to it they have anything they request.”

She nodded hurriedly. “I will.”

“Thanks, I’ll leave them in your care. I need to return to the walls…” He turned to Serin. “They will provide you with everything, just ask for what you need. I hope we’ll see you again before you all leave.”

“Thank you for the help.”

He bowed a little and then waved as he made his way out of the guild hall.

The guild girl looked a little nervous as our attention focused on her. “Is there anything you need right now, before I report to the master.”

“Is food being served?” Altria asked from near the back of the group.

“It is.”

“Then we’ll go and eat while we wait for you to report in… That’s okay isn’t it Serin?”

Serin sighed and nodded. “Yes, we haven’t had a proper lunch yet.”

Altria went on ahead of the group to find an empty table in the hall across the way from the front desk.

Seeing we were happy to go and get food while we waited, the receptionist smiled and then made her way through the back door to give her report. Once she had left the rest of our party followed Altria to the table.

This guild was fairly quiet, but it wasn’t deserted. There were two other groups of adventurers sat having their lunch in the hall. Their eyes fell on us as we passed by. I didn’t sense any animosity in their looks, it felt more like a professional curiosity in checking out the new adventurers in town.

Altria had taken a table near the far corner of the room. She was busily checking out the menu as we joined her and took our seats around the table.

Looking at her serious expression I laughed. “You’re really in a hurry to order some food.”

She looked up from the menu. “Of course! It’s been ages since we’ve had a decent meal, why wouldn’t I be?”

“I suppose you’re right there.”

“I was wondering when you lot were going to join me!”

Altria wasn’t the only one glad to be able a real cooked meal for the first time in a while. Luckily the waitress soon came over to take our order. Once she had finished writing everything down, the girl from the desk popped over to our table.

She still looked a little nervous as she approached but spoke steadily as she addressed Serin. “I’ve reported your arrival to the guild master, she um would like to speak with you. If that is possible of course?”

“It is.” Serin made to get up out of her seat.

“Oh, there’s no rush. She said to finish your food first, and she would like to speak with the entire party. She has news to pass on from Dunshelm.”

“Right, okay. We’ll come back to the desk once we’ve finished.”

“Thank you.” The girl bobbed her head and then turned to make her way back to the front desk.

We all made short work of the food.

Once we had finished eating, Liz spoke up. “I’m sure you’ve already thought about this Serin, but what do you want to do with Aetherin? She isn’t a member of the guild, and she didn’t set off from Dunshelm with us. Do you think it’s wise to bring her with us to speak with the guild master?”

Serin shook her head. “No… I hadn’t planned on having to speak with her like this. It could pose a problem.”

There was a quiet squeak as Aetherin punished her seat back a little. “It’s no problem. I’ll just wait in town for you to finish speaking with her. If anyone asks, I’m gathering supplies or something.”

“Really? You don’t mind?” Serin looked relieved.

“No of course not. The last thing I’d want is to cause trouble for you all.”

I felt bad for Aetherin having to wait around on her own for us, but she was right. It could lead to problems and more questions being asked than we wanted to answer.

Serin smiled. “Thank you Aetherin. It will make things easier. We’ll try to be as quick as possible. I still would like to start the trip back before evening.”

I still felt a little awkward about leaving her behind alone. “Would you like me to stay with you? They can’t need all of us in there.”

Aetherin shook her head. “I’ll be fine by myself, don’t worry. Anyway, I’m sure they will want to speak to you. I just have a feeling about it.”

Somehow, I thought she would be right.

“Okay, like Serin said, we’ll try to make it quick.”

“Thanks.”

Serin put a hand on my shoulder. “She’s right, they will likely be expecting to see you with us. She has been in contact with Lisa after all.”

“I suppose you’re right...”

“Don’t worry, you know that Aetherin can look after herself.”

“I know.”

“We should make our way to the desk. Let’s go and see what the guild master has to say and then find ourselves some transport back home.”

At Serin’s word we cleared out from the table, quickly crossing the room in the direction of the front desk.

When we reached the reception area Aetherin paused. “This is where we part ways for now.” She said turning to leave the guild.

“Hold on, where do you want to meet?” I asked.

“Don’t worry, I won’t go far. I’ll notice once you leave, I’ll find you.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yes.” She laughed. “You’d better go and meet the guild master. You don’t want to keep them waiting any longer.”

“Right, okay. Bye for now.”

Aetherin nodded at Serin and waved to the rest of the group, then she headed out towards the exit. Once she left the hall the rest of us walked up to the front desk.

The receptionist was waiting for us as we arrived. “Are you ready the see the guild master now?” She asked.

Serin nodded. “We are.”

“Okay…” The receptionist glanced to the entrance. “Isn’t your friend coming back?”

“We needed her to collect some supplies. We’re actually in a hurry to get back. I’m sure you understand.”

“Of course.” The girl lifted the hatch in the desk up. “Please, follow me.” She said waving us in.

“Thanks.”

We all filed in behind Serin. Seeing that we were following the receptionist when on a short way ahead and opened the door to the back rooms.

15