Chapter One Hundred and Ninety-One: Unexpected Connection
637 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The back area of this guild was similar to those I had been in before. It was a series of corridors and doorways from the main walkway. I almost had to wonder, at what they needed all these rooms for. There couldn’t be that much administration in a branch this small. It had to be because they were all constructed from a single template.

We were led towards the stairs. From there we were taken up two floors. On the second floor we were led along the corridor. About halfway along the receptionist stopped outside one of the doorways.

She knocked politely.

A woman’s voice answered from inside. “Yes?”

“I’ve brought the adventurers you were expecting.”

I heard a chair being pushed out inside. “Please show them in.”

The receptionist pushed the door open and then waved us inside the room. Once inside she gave a little bow and left the room.

Just inside the guild master was waiting for us.

At first glance I thought she was a catkin, which was a relief. But then I realised I wasn’t quite right. She was a dark blond, but there were hints of another colour mixed in bands with her hair. It reminded me somewhat of Lisa, but it wasn’t quite the same.

The guild master smiled as she approached and held out her hand to greet us. “I’ve been waiting for you. I was hoping we would get word of you sooner, after I heard about you. I’m just glad that you all made it here in one peace.”

Serin cautiously shook the master’s hand. “It’s reassuring that someone was looking out for us.”

The guild master laughed. “You must be Serin.”

She nodded. “I am.”

“You seem a little uneasy about this situation. I don’t blame you what with everything going on. I suppose it won’t mean much yet, but you can trust me. We’re on the same side.”

“I hope so.”

“Please, come and take a seat all of you.” She gestured to the seats in front of her desk then walked back to her own chair.

We did as she suggested and followed behind, all a little on guard. We slowly sat down.

Once all of us were seated, Serin cleared her throat and looked to the guild master. “You were told we were coming. Do you mind if I ask who sent the message? We were unaware that anyone knew we were out here, we left at short notice.”

“Not at all. I’m sure the head of the guard already told you this. It was the guild master from Dunshelm, Lisa. She sent you on this quest, did she not?”

“She did…”

“You want to know my connection with Lisa?”

“Sorry, it’s just that our mission was sensitive and not everyone would be in support of our goals.”

“I told you we are on the same side.” She sighed. “But I understand your concern… Lisa is my elder sister, although you may not see the resemblance. We have different fathers.”

Serin almost choked on her breath. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know… I’m sorry, I don’t even know your name.”

That explained the markings in her hair.

“I’m Elsa.” She paused. “She isn’t one for sharing personal details like that…  I don’t think she would have passed this news onto just anyone. I was only informed when you had taken longer than she was expecting.”

“I see.”

“And even then, she hasn’t filled me in on all the details. Only that it was of great importance to everything that has been happening lately and that I should do everything, in my power to help you. I intend to do so.”

“Thank you.”

“I won’t ask why you were out in the wilds, but tell me, what can I do to aid you?”

 Serin was quick to answer. “We need transport, back to Dunshelm. Are their regular carriages travelling from here?”

“There are, but most of them are carrying goods, the few that carry passengers are booked well in advance.”

“I see.”

She smiled. “But I’m sure we can arrange you something.”

“We would really appreciate it. We need to return to Dunshelm as quickly as possible.”

“Is your mission that important?”

“We believe so.”

Elsa stopped as if deep in thought for a moment. “That’s explains why she was so scant on the details.”

“It really is something she wouldn’t want to get out. There are powerful people that would stand in our way.”

“I thought as much.”

“We were, wondering why you brought us up here? We would like to get back on our way as soon as possible.”

“I’ll send you on your way soon enough. My sister wanted me to see how you were in person, she wanted me to make sure that you were all okay.”

Serin gestured to the rest of the party. “As you can see, we are doing well.”

“I can… Do you mind if I ask, did you succeed in your task?”

Serin froze for a moment. She had to decide if it was really safe to say. “We did.” She answered after coming to a decision. “Was there nothing your sister wanted you to pass on to us?”

“There was, but I’m not entirely sure of what to make of it myself. She wasn’t clear.”

“I hope we can make sense of it.”

“I hope so… She told me to tell you that things have been moving fast while you’ve been gone. Forces are on the move. If you delay your return, the window for action will close. What do you make of it?”

Serin didn’t answer right away.

Anyone in our party could take a guess at what Lisa’s words meant.

Finally, she answered. “I think I can make sense of it, please forgive us if we don’t pass on its meaning.”

“You still don’t trust me… Well, it’s not like I can blame you. You’ve only just met me today after all.”

“Sorry.”

It’s okay… If I were to guess, it would be that this is something related to that mess in the capital and the trouble between the catkin and the alliance.”

An awkward silence fell upon the entire party. None of us wanted to give anything away. Elsa had done nothing to make us distrust her, but with this we couldn’t be too careful.

There was no telling what side someone was going to fall. Even Lisa herself was on the fence between supporting us, and the catkin or staying loyal to the alliance. She hadn’t even given the full details to Elsa herself.

Elsa had fallen silent after her guess. She was looking over our number as if trying to gleam something from our expressions.

She smiled. “Well, you don’t want to say, and I shouldn’t expect it to be that easy to judge from this short meeting.”

“We really are sorry we can’t tell you anything…” Serin sounded like she meant it.

“Please just ignore my musings, my own sister feels she should keep this from me. You of all people shouldn’t feel bad for not sharing.”

I couldn’t quite decide what to make of her, but she didn’t feel like a threat. At least not yet.

Serin slowly got to her feet. “I don’t want to sound rude, but we really need to be on our way.”

“Not at all, I won’t keep you any longer… I’ll see what I can organise for transport.”

“Thanks, we appreciate the help.”

Seeing that the conversation appeared to be over and that Serin had already got to her feet, the rest of us followed her lead.

Serin made for the door, stopping and turning back as she was about to leave. “What should we do, return here in some time or continue to look for a carriage on our own?” She asked.

Elsa had followed us towards the door. “Head to the stables on the far side of town. I’ll send word that you’re on an important mission. They’ll do what they can to accommodate you.”

“Thank you.”

“Think nothing of it… Oh and when you see Lisa, please send her my regards.”

“I will.”

“Can you find your own way downstairs?”

“I think we’ll manage.”

“Good then, we’ll part here. I wish you all luck.”

Elsa left at us at the door to her office. She closed the door behind us as we made our way back along the corridor and towards the stairs.

I was glad that the strange meeting was over.

Now we just had to find Aetherin and hope we could find a carriage that would take us home.

16